Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224633 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #765 on: November 25, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »

Father of the Bride (1991)
Father of the Bride Part II (1995)

Overview:
In 'Father of the Bride', doting father George Banks' (Martin) world comes tumbling down around his ears when daughter Annie (Kimberly Williams) announces her engagement to boyfriend Bryan. Although initially unable to cope with the thought of his little girl going away and leaving him, George soon sets about making sure that Annie's is the perfect wedding - but it isn't long before the strain begins to take its toll! In the sequel 'Father of the Bride - Part 2', George Banks has now reconciled himself to the fact that Annie is a happily married young woman, but when she informs him that she and Bryan are expecting a baby, a mid-life crisis is triggered off.

My Thoughts:
The Father of the Bride movies have a great cast attached. First you have Steve Martin as the head of the household, the character whose perspective is used to tell both movies. Diane Keaton plays his wife, Kieran Culkin his son, Kimberly Williams his daughter, George Newbern the son-in-law and best of all Martin Short plays the crazy foreign wedding planner/baby shower planner/interior designer. All gel incredibly well together and all put in worthwhile performances. It's just a shame that the plots of both movies are so incredibly standard or we could've had two special movies here. Instead, we get cliche ridden comedies with ample drama and romance that gives us nothing new. They're both worth a cheap purchase for the cast, but otherwise a rental. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #766 on: November 26, 2012, 01:38:10 AM »

Conversations with Other Women (2005)

Overview:
Smart and sharp swinging between tender, provocative and funny and the lasting impact lingers with bitter sweetness. - Easy Living Conversations With Other Women tells the compelling story of a couple whose reunion at a wedding reception ignites a mysterious attraction for each other that is deeper and more emotionally perilous than they are willing to admit. At a New York City wedding reception two guests, seemingly strangers, become entangled in a sexually-charged battle of wits. But as the night carries on in a cigarette smoke haze, the nameless couple's repartee deepens to reveal the passion of their two decades past love affair. Escaping the party for a hotel room, the two are soon gripped by their mutual past and the individual choices that lead them to the present. Unfolding entirely in split-screen, Director Hans Canosa's feature debut is an unconventional and poignant love story.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Very character driven and it has strong dialogue to support it.
- I'm not Helena Bonham Carter's biggest fan, but both her and Aaron Eckhart were very good here.
- Took a little getting used to, but I loved the way it is shown in split screen, with two angles of each scene. Thankfully it wasn't gimmicky.
- Carla Bruni's soundtrack is exceptional, especially during the opening scenes.
- See spoiler at bottom.
Cons:
- Sometimes there were short periods of no dialogue which didn't feel like they belonged.
Overall:
An exceptional film that is an absolute must-see. 4.5/5

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:41:42 AM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #767 on: November 26, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »

Twilight (2008)

Overview:
Twilight, based on the acclaimed novel by Stephenie Meyer, is the highly-anticipated movie of the ultimate forbidden love affair between a vampire and mortal. Boasting a whole host of bright young talent including Robert Pattinson (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), Kristen Stewart (Into The Wild, What Just Happened) and Cam Gigandet (Never Back Down, The O.C.), the screenplay is written by Melissa Rosenberg (Step Up, The O.C.) and directed by the award-winning filmmaker Catherine Hardwicke (Lords of Dogtown, Thirteen).
Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) has always been a little bit different, never caring about fitting in with the trendy girls at her Phoenix high school. When her mother remarries and sends Bella to live with her father in the rainy little town of Forks, Washington, she doesn’t expect much of anything to change. Then she meets the mysterious and dazzlingly beautiful Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), a boy unlike any she’s ever met. Intelligent and witty, he sees straight into her soul. Soon, Bella and Edward are swept up in a passionate and decidedly unorthodox romance.
Edward can run faster than a mountain lion, he can stop a moving car with his bare hands--and he hasn’t aged since 1918. Like all vampires, he’s immortal. But he doesn’t have fangs, and he doesn’t drink human blood, as Edward and his family are unique among vampires in their lifestyle choice. To Edward, Bella is that thing he has waited 90 years for--a soul mate. But the closer they get, the more Edward must struggle to resist the primal pull of her scent, which could send him into an uncontrollable frenzy. But what will they do when Laurent (Edi Gathegi) and James (Cam Gigandet), the Cullens’ mortal vampire enemies, come to town, looking for Bella?

My Thoughts:
Today was my first ever foray into the marmite that is Twilight. It appears to be that some people love it (generally teenage girls known as Twihards) and some people hate it. This is further backed up by the obvious unsubjective voting at imdb, where 16% rank it a 1/10 and another 16% voted it as a 10/10. The rest of the voting is spread quite equally with a bump at the 6/10 mark which is exactly where I would place it. I wasn't expecting much as I don't class a 29-year old male to be the target demographic but I did find it to be an enjoyable enough couple of hours if nothing else. The plot actually flies by and I did enjoy the storyline, no matter how 'daytime tv' it was. The cast are a mixed bag. Kristen Stewart is the best of the bunch whilst Taylor Lautner has the charisma of a dead cat. Still, Catherine Hardwicke manages to draw good enough performances to keep it ticking over. Overall, I would say don't let your preconceptions get in the way of viewing Twilight. It's not as bad as one would think. Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #768 on: November 26, 2012, 05:40:33 PM »

Zombie Honeymoon (2004)

Overview:
Off-beat, darkly comic zombie horror. Danny (Graham Sibley) and Denise (Tracy Coogan) are a newly-married couple enjoying their honeymoon when Danny is attacked by a strange man who vomits blood into his mouth. Otherwise unharmed, the couple don't realise that Danny has been turned into one of the undead, and that he is gradually transforming into a zombie killer. Struggling to cope with what she sees as an illness, Denise comes to realise that her friends are not safe from her flesh-eating husband, and that her own life might be in danger too.

My Thoughts:
I'm not really sure what to say about Zombie Honeymoon. With several excellent rom-zom-coms out there like Shaun of the Dead, it's a tough sub-genre to break into, especially for productions with much less budget, cast/crew with experience and other small issues. For the most part, the script is below average, but the humour does come across really well. The cast is what you would expect for the genre/budget but Irish actress Tracy Coogan was superbly cast delivering her searing wit really well and it's a shame she hasn't really been in anything of note yet in the years after this. Gore is kept to a minimum but is still passable and the pacing is just right. It's far from a great film, but worth a rental for the genre fans. 2.5/5

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: November 26, 2012, 05:47:19 PM »

Twilight (2008)

Overview:
Twilight, based on the acclaimed novel by Stephenie Meyer, is the highly-anticipated movie of the ultimate forbidden love affair between a vampire and mortal. Boasting a whole host of bright young talent including Robert Pattinson (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), Kristen Stewart (Into The Wild, What Just Happened) and Cam Gigandet (Never Back Down, The O.C.), the screenplay is written by Melissa Rosenberg (Step Up, The O.C.) and directed by the award-winning filmmaker Catherine Hardwicke (Lords of Dogtown, Thirteen).
Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) has always been a little bit different, never caring about fitting in with the trendy girls at her Phoenix high school. When her mother remarries and sends Bella to live with her father in the rainy little town of Forks, Washington, she doesn’t expect much of anything to change. Then she meets the mysterious and dazzlingly beautiful Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), a boy unlike any she’s ever met. Intelligent and witty, he sees straight into her soul. Soon, Bella and Edward are swept up in a passionate and decidedly unorthodox romance.
Edward can run faster than a mountain lion, he can stop a moving car with his bare hands--and he hasn’t aged since 1918. Like all vampires, he’s immortal. But he doesn’t have fangs, and he doesn’t drink human blood, as Edward and his family are unique among vampires in their lifestyle choice. To Edward, Bella is that thing he has waited 90 years for--a soul mate. But the closer they get, the more Edward must struggle to resist the primal pull of her scent, which could send him into an uncontrollable frenzy. But what will they do when Laurent (Edi Gathegi) and James (Cam Gigandet), the Cullens’ mortal vampire enemies, come to town, looking for Bella?

My Thoughts:
Today was my first ever foray into the marmite that is Twilight. It appears to be that some people love it (generally teenage girls known as Twihards) and some people hate it. This is further backed up by the obvious unsubjective voting at imdb, where 16% rank it a 1/10 and another 16% voted it as a 10/10. The rest of the voting is spread quite equally with a bump at the 6/10 mark which is exactly where I would place it. I wasn't expecting much as I don't class a 29-year old male to be the target demographic but I did find it to be an enjoyable enough couple of hours if nothing else. The plot actually flies by and I did enjoy the storyline, no matter how 'daytime tv' it was. The cast are a mixed bag. Kristen Stewart is the best of the bunch whilst Taylor Lautner has the charisma of a dead cat. Still, Catherine Hardwicke manages to draw good enough performances to keep it ticking over. Overall, I would say don't let your preconceptions get in the way of viewing Twilight. It's not as bad as one would think. Rent it. 3/5

<G> I was old when you "wern't" and I still have liked the series.  The books are a very fun read and the films have been very entertaining.  Never had a problem with the changes to the current 'mythos' about vampires and have found the acting/directing and storyline pretty well done.

I haven't gotten to the newest one YET but hope to tomorrow.
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #770 on: November 26, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »

The First Wives Club (1996)

Overview:
Upon graduating from college in 1969, friends Annie, Brenda, Cynthia and Elise vow that they will never lose touch. Nearly three decades later, Cynthia commits suicide after her husband abandons her. Meeting at her funeral, the three remaining friends each confess that their respective spouses have been unfaithful, and set out to wreak revenge. Goldie Hawn, Bette Midler and Diane Keaton are the trio of women out to take their men for all they can get.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- There is good chemistry between Goldie Hawn, Diane Keaton and Bette Midler with decent supporting roles by Sarah Jessica Parker, Elizabeth Berkeley, Marcia Gay Harden and Maggie Smith.
- All three main characters have very different characteristics that play out well throughout the movie.
Cons:
- Stockard Channing's role is vital but her suicide scene at the start (not a spoiler) is poorly thought out and filmed.
- It's too cliched to set it above any other 'feminist' comedies.
Overall:
The way the cast members interact make this worth a watch. A different cast and this may not have been the case. Rent it. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #771 on: November 27, 2012, 12:32:48 AM »

Iron Man (2008)

Overview:
Suit up for action with ROBERT DOWNEY JR, in the ultimate adventure movie you've been waiting for, 'Iron Man!' When jet-setting genius-industrialist Tony Stark is captured in enemy territory, he builds a high-tech suit of armour to escape. Now, he's on a mission to save the world as a hero who's built, not born, to be unlike any other. Co-starring TERRENCE HOWARD, JEFF BRIDGES and GWYNETH PALTROW, it's a fantastic, high-flying journey that is "hugely entertaining" (Joe Morgenstern, The Wall Street Journal).

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Robert Downey Jr, Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard and Jeff Bridges are all brilliantly cast. Howard is the biggest surprise.
- The story is accessible to people not familiar with Iron Man with a good dose of action with a little splash of comedy.
- The special effects look great. From your standard explosions to scenes with Iron Man flying - all are spectacular.
Cons:
- I'd have liked to have seen more of some of the secondary characters.
Overall:
Another corker from Marvel. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

You can see my marathon review for Iron Man 2 here:
http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,6328.msg111728/topicseen.html#msg111728

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #772 on: November 28, 2012, 08:54:04 AM »

The Magician (2005)

Overview:
Writer-director Scott Ryan plays charismatic and violent hitman Ray Shoesmith in this Australian gangster drama. Accompanied by his friend and neighbour Massimo (Massimiliano Andrighetto), who is filming his every move, Ray goes about his everyday business - making threats and meting out violence - while he explains his off-beat philosophy of life.

My Thoughts:
Australia brings out a lot of great little films that go largely unnoticed. For every success like Chopper, there is an unknown title like Scott Ryan's magician. Scott Ryan wrote and directed this and he also stars as the hitman, with the cast being made up of complete amateurs. Yet, the casting was very good and all suited the tone of the movie which has similarities to Man Bites Dog. The Magician isn't filled with violence, but when we do get a violent scene it is done with vigour and stays in your mind. Anyway, considering the budget of just $3000 (Australian), Scott Ryan has achieved a well shot movie, with great style and shows he has a knack for making movies. It's a shame then, that this is the only credit to his name. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #773 on: November 28, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »

Gran Torino (2008)

Overview:
Clint Eastwood directs and stars in the drama Gran Torino, marking his first film role since his Oscar-winning film Million Dollar Baby. Eastwood portrays Walt Kowaski, an iron-willed and inflexible Korean War veteran living in a changing world, who is forced by his immigrant neighbours to confront his own long-held prejudices.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Eastwood is a great actor, and generally an even better director. He does both jobs superbly here.
- Surprisingly humourous, but not too funny in that it detracts from the rest of the movie.
- Eastwood's character reminds me a lot of Harry from the Dirty Harry movies and that added to my enjoyment of the movie.
Cons:
- Some of the supporting cast hold the movie down at times.
Overall:
If you forget the woeful Hereafter, Eastwood is churning out hit after hit IMO. Highly recommended. 4.5/5
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:49:01 PM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: November 28, 2012, 05:08:06 PM »
Glad you liked it Sir :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #775 on: November 28, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »

The Conversation (1974)

Overview:
Surveillance expert Harry Caul (Gene Hackman) values his personal privacy and anonymity above all else. When he and partner Stan (John Cazale) are hired by a mysterious client known only as 'the director' (Robert Duvall) to follow a young couple, Harry deduces that the woman, Mary, is the director's wife, and the man an employee with whom she is conducting an affair. Harry becomes convinced that the director intends to murder the pair and, haunted by guilt from a previous assignment where the information he provided resulted in loss of human life, sets out to prevent the killing himself.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Gene Hackman is brilliant in this and I would easily place it in his top performances of all time.
- The way the paranoia and tense nature of Harry's mind is portrayed is very good.
- It's very character driven and certainly a movie of its time.
- There's a really good special effect of blood pouring out of a toilet. Simple but very effective.
Cons:
- It took fifteen minutes to get going.
Overall:
Once it got going, I was hooked. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #776 on: November 28, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »
The Conversation joins my top rated of 1974. Others from that year I have given 4.5/5:
- Hearts and Minds
- The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
- Young Frankenstein

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: November 28, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »
The Conversation joins my top rated of 1974. Others from that year I have given 4.5/5:
- Hearts and Minds
- The Taking of Pelham One Two Three
- Young Frankenstein
Yep .. 3 great ones there .. I haven't see "Hearts and Minds" yet.

I think "The Conversation" is a hard watch for some people .. very internalized.  But I found it fascinating.
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #778 on: November 29, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »

When a Man Falls in the Forest (2007)

Overview:
Bill (Dylan Baker): a lonely middle-aged man, who has never been able to interact with the world around him, keeps his distance and prefers to exist in a lackluster state of self-imposed exile. Karen (Sharon Stone): finds salvation in thrills that she knows are forbidden - acts that are empowering and taboo. Gary (Timothy Hutton): has a habit of falling asleep at his desk rather than go home to deal with his loveless marriage to Karen. Travis (Pruitt Taylor Vince): frozen in time, bears the guilt for a terrible tragedy from his past which has scarred him for life. This powerful drama embraces the stories of these four unlikely heroes, each consumed by a personal struggle to make sense of their lives.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Dylan Baker, Stacie Bono and Pruitt Taylor Vince put in some good performances. Shame this is Stacie Bono's only entry o her CV to date.
- The lives of each character intertwine well, if ina basic manner.
Cons:
- Despite an 80-minute runtime, it is slow moving.
- It never really builds up to anything and just sort of ends on a whimper.
- Sharon Stone and Timothy Hutton are disappointing.
Overall:
A bit of a let-down. Skip it. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #779 on: November 29, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »

Once Were Warriors (1994)

Overview:
Eighteen years after Jake (Temuera Morrison) and Beth (Rena Owen) were married, Beth still finds him irresistible. Jake is a muscular, handsome man who exudes sexual energy. But he spends most of his time in the bar demanding respect and becoming drunk and violent.
Beth struggles to keep her family together, though the takes its toll - one son has joined a vicious gang, the other has been taken to a welfare home - but she remains faithful to Jake. Still untouched is Grace, the beautiful teenaged daughter, a gifted writer and thinker and the most vulnerable member of the family.
What happens to her changes the family's life forever. Beth will at last be forced to make a choice and to seek a new alternative for her own survival.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The impact of the violence throughout the film on the viewer, in particular the domestic violence.
- The entire cast are fantastic, especially Temuera Morrison, Rena Owen and the actors that play their kids. A truly believable dysfunctional family.
- All the family members are sufficiently developed.
- The brutalness of the violence in the film doesn't take away from the overall story.
Cons:
- This must be my tenth plus viewing of the movie. I just wish I could watch it again for the first time, especially for the closing moments.
Overall:
Highly recommended.  If you've never seen it, BUY IT NOW. 5/5