Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224630 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #645 on: September 20, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »

The Doom Generation (1995)

Overview:
Rose McGowan, James Duval and Johnathon Schaech star in boundary-pushing Gregg Araki's cult hit of the 90's: a no-holds-barred teen road-trip like no other.
Teen speed-freak Amy Blue and her dim-witted boyfriend Jordan White find their lives are turned on their heads when they meet the mysterious, charismatic drifter who has a bad habit of killing people. The trio embark on a hell-ride of a journey fuelled by sex and violence that takes debauchery to new heights.
This depraved teen-tear-up includes cameos from Hollywood Madam Heidi Fleiss, Parker Posy and Perry Farrell.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The soundtrack suits the high energy impact of the film.
- Rose McGowan, James Duval and Johnathon Schaech all do great jobs as the three main characters and the way they twist the opening statement of "Gregg Araki's first heterosexual movie" is sublime.
- The humour comes at just the right time in amongst the violence and sex scenes.
Cons:
- It isn't very polished. Dialogue is mediocre and the editing can leave a lot to be desired at times.
- The supporting cast are all average at best.
- Sometimes Araki tries a little too hard to maintain a certain style with the way scenes are shot when he should have just let the grittiness of what has happened speak for itself.
Overall:
Not Araki's best but fans of his will appreciate it. Rent it. 3/5

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 20, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »
That is actually my favorite Araki. Miles ahead of Tarantino's Pulp Fiction.
Wait, didn't I say that here already? Yes, I did (with pictures).
Matthias

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #647 on: September 20, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »
That is actually my favorite Araki. Miles ahead of Tarantino's Pulp Fiction.
Wait, didn't I say that here already? Yes, I did (with pictures).

I can't decide on my favourite. It's between Mysterious Skin and Totally Fucked Up. I need to rewatch Nowhere at some point.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #648 on: September 20, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »

Hollywood Kills (2006)

Overview:
Welcome to Hollyweird! James and Vaughn, two Texas cousins, arrive in Hollywood to visit James' sister Sarah, an aspiring film director and her roommate Chantelle, a hungry young actress & archetypal bombshell. An innocent night out leads to the foursome's path crossing that of two Hollywood players, Ken and Nate, whose promise of entry to an exclusive and secret Hollywood club leads them to the dark back streets of LA. What they don t know is that Ken and Nate are in the employ of Francis Fenway (Dominic Keating: Heroes, Beowulf, Prison Break), once a Hollywood player in his own right, but whose ego and narcissism drove a wedge between himself and the studio system. Being made an outcast has affected his tenuous grip on sanity and Fenway has created a new breed of filmmaking...Horror Reality...and he s lined up James, Sarah, Vaughn, and Chantelle as his next 'stars . Now they must fight to survive in a world where reality is based on the whims of a sadistic host with an ever-growing list of victims culled from those seeking success in the dream factory of Hollywood. The stage is set. The characters have taken their places. All is ready. Give it to the camera!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Towards the end, some of the music selections are quite good.
Cons:
- The cast is beyond terrible.
- The script was either written by a twelve year old who had just watched Saw, or was poorly improvised on the spot.
- Special effects are of a poor quality.
- The sets. Looks like somebody's house has just been borrowed for the weekend last minute.
Overall:
The film is bad. Really bad. The UK DVD is worse. Heavily cropped and some dodgy audio. Skip it. 1/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #649 on: September 20, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »
The above joins Date Movie and The Shadow Walkers as my worst of 2006.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 20, 2012, 05:34:21 PM »
Interesting cover tho Sam ;)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 20, 2012, 07:01:34 PM »
Really, for me it's the kind of cover who shout "Don't bother I'm a crappy DTDVD cheapo"

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #652 on: September 20, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »
Really, for me it's the kind of cover who shout "Don't bother I'm a crappy DTDVD cheapo"

Yeah, it was in a cheap bundle I picked up online. It was £1.20 for three movies delivered and I expect the other two will be of similar quality. The covers were funny enough for me to at least check them out though. :laugh:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #653 on: September 20, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »

Gory Gory Hallelujah (2003)

Overview:
A Bawdy & Surreal Art Musical. With Zombies! After failing an audition for the role of Jesus in a local production, four would-be actors, a black militant, a bisexual hippy, a principled Jew and a free spirited redhead band together, hit the road on motorbikes and head for New York to seek their fame and fortune. After a fatal encounter with a group of Elvis impersonators in a roadside bar, the thespians go on the run only to find themselves stranded, arrested & imprisoned in the evangelical town of Jackville - where folk don t take kindly to blasphemers. Released into the custody of four pillars of the community the quartet expose the seedy underbelly of the seemingly quaint town, uncovering a sinister plot on the way and accidentally the apocalypse. As the oppressed turn against each other and the undead rise, who will emerge as the true Jesus? Can zombies bring redemption, or just eat flesh? The Absurd, Outrageous, Quirky, Colourful, Hilarious & Strange Cult Comedy! You've Never Seen Anything Like This!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Hilariously camp. It feels like an amateur dramatic society has gotten together and just though 'bugger it - let's make a movie!'.
- The characters are mental. All four of the 'Jesus' characters are so different it makes for some funny moments.
- The sets look as though they have been put together by a local school and the cast overact so much and struggle to get through any scene with a straight face, that it is contagious and even the worst scene can be a blast.
Cons:
- It just isn't very good. File this one into the so bad, it's watchable category.
- It sort of advertises itself as a bit of a horror, but it really isn't.
- It could've done with a few musical numbers. It just had that campy am-dram feel to it.
Overall:
This is not a film that is very good, but if you're in the right frame of mind, there is fun to be had because of the mentalness of everyone involved. If you liked "Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter", you'll probably find something to enjoy here. Rent it. A generous 2.5/5

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 20, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »

Hehe, well.. If it wasnt for Sam's review, and i found that movie cheap some place, i would check it out :)
But since he gave it a 1, i will pass.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #655 on: September 20, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »

Car Babes (2006)

Overview:
After a half ass attempt to find a job, recent college graduate Ford Davis (Ben Savage: Boy Meets World) lands himself the one job he never wanted...working as a car salesman for his father Big Len. On the lot, Ford quickly learns that the game of car sales is not easy. His only saving grace becomes his co-workers, the CarBabes who teach him that selling cars is about selling yourself. After an unforgettable test drive with a self-assured hairdresser, Ford begins to gain confidence not only selling cars, but with his sexy new girlfriend. But back on the lot, mobile-home tycoon Ron Hamper has his evil eye on Big Len s property. After an uncalled for visit, Hamper threatens to shut Big Len down and turn Davis Automotive into a parking lot for his used campers. The days at Davis Automotive are numbered. Big Len and the CarBabes have all but given up, but Ford comes up with one final plan to save the dealership from impending doom.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Although the story is unoriginal, it is still fun and you care about the characters.
- Ben Savage has made the transition from TV to low budget b-movies quite well. The supporting cast is a mixed bag but Jon Gries and Blake Clark deserve a mention.
- It's well paced. The main story is set-up quickly and there isn't much monotony.
Cons:
- Any scene with Heather Ashley made me cringe. She didn't fit in with the rest of the cast well at all. Thankfully, her role is quite minimal.
- There are obvious budget limitations meaning the occasional action piece (like a crash) happens off-screen or in extreme close-up on certain car parts.
- You can see the ending happening a mile away.
Overall:
Unoriginal but an easy way to waste some time. Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #656 on: September 21, 2012, 12:19:47 AM »

God Bless America (2011)

Overview:
Frank has had enough of the downward spiral of American culture, which he sees as overrun with cruelty, stupidity and intolerance. Divorced, recently fired, and possibly terminally ill, Frank truly has nothing left to live for. But instead of taking his own life, he buys a gun and decides to take out his frustration on the cruellest, stupidest, most intolerant people he can imagine—starting with some particularly odious reality television stars. Frank finds an unusual accomplice in a high-school student named Roxy, who shares his sense of rage and together they embark on a nation-wide assault on America’s dumbest, most irritating celebrities.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Isn't afraid to hold back on the mindless violence, which is kind of integral to the point they are making.
- The dialogue is beyond hilarious. Some great one-liners and great rapore between the leads.
- Joel Murray and Tara Lynne Barr. I haven't heard of either (though recognise Murray) but they were both perfect and I hope we have some great things to come from Barr.
- Who doesn't get seriously pissed off with the same thing the characters do? Sure, they aren't punishable by death, but some should be (mobiles/talking in cinema a particular favourite moment)!
Cons:
- Some of the satirical parodies got a little annoying.
Overall:
I've said it before and I'll say it again; Goldthwait is dark comedy gold. Now won't some of you PLEASE check out Sleeping Dogs? Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #657 on: September 21, 2012, 12:23:02 AM »
I'm yet to give out a 5/5 for 2011 which means God Bless America is the 9th movie to join my list of top movies for the year with a 4.5/5:
- Drive
- Fast Five (shut up - guilty pleasure series for me)
- The Grey
- Hobo with a Shotgun
- Kill-List
- Melancholia
- Super 8
- Warrior

On another note, I didn't watch this on disc, I streamed it via Lovefilm to my Xbox. For those who have Lovefilm, this is currently part of the package and certainly worth a free viewing. I now have it on price watch.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:25:13 AM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 21, 2012, 12:49:48 AM »
I was a bit dissapointed with Fast Five. (dont get me wrong, i liked aswell  :redcard: ) but i think they should try to stick to the original story.
And "Hobo With A Shotgun" one of the best horrormovies i've seen in a long time! ;)
Gave "Hobo with A Shotgun" 5/6
And "Fast Five" 5/6 aswell.
But in Fast 6, i hope they stick more to the original story, with what the movies started with :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #659 on: September 21, 2012, 12:58:08 AM »
But in Fast 6, i hope they stick more to the original story, with what the movies started with :)

I hope they continue in the direction they have gone in. I'm enjoying the sort of heist feel with the cars still playing an important role. Looking forward to Letty being back. Some of it was filmed in Glasgow where I know quite a few people. They went to see if they could see anything but couldn't. Have read they used several new BMW M3s / M5s though.