Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224632 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #510 on: April 16, 2012, 09:00:46 AM »
- Everything leading up to the end credits. Acting was awful, storyline made little sense and action was poor poor poor.
This is probably why I can't remember this film at all, even if I'm sure I saw it when it was on the big screen. I was at the movie theatre each week in my early twenties and the first one was great so it's a given I paid big buck to see this as I hated the half price night.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #511 on: April 16, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »
Have you seen the Director's Cut, or "improved" Cut (I haven't). It takes out the whole alien angle and keeps the story on earth.

This is my first viewing of Highlander 2 ever. Maybe I'll check out this cut at some point, but I won't be in a rush.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #512 on: April 17, 2012, 01:06:07 AM »

Blue Streak (1999)

Overview:
After spending two years in jail, cocky fast-taking jewel thief Miles Logan finds himself on the 'right side' of the law. Now a free man, Logan is determined to retrieve the stolen diamond that he hid in a building under construction on the night of his arrest.
But by a stroke of bad luck, the building in question has since become a police station! Unfazed by this obstacle, Logan manages to con his way into the building by posing as a police detective with hilarious results!
His lively and unorthodox style of working often raises an eyebrow or two from his colleagues and certainly gets him noticed, but does he finally manage to get his hands on that diamond?

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- There are some good set pieces here, especially some of the car stunts.
- The majority of the supporting cast, in particular Luke Wilson, Richard C. Sarafian and Peter Greene are enjoyable.
- I really like the idea behind the plot, a bank robber released from jail pretending to be a cop to retrieve a diamond he hid before his arrest.
- This is the right vehicle for Martin Lawrence, and it's better than some of his tat like Black Knight.
Cons:
- It's not as fun or explosive as Bad Boys, another action comedy where Lawrence also plays a cop (though for real). I just kept thinking this film needed a Will Smith to star alongside him.
- Dave Chappelle. Won't somebody please just do the world a favour and stop him?
- It consistently made me grin, but it hasn't got any real laugh out loud moments.
Overall:
Average comedy that's worth a cheap buy. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #513 on: April 17, 2012, 05:01:42 AM »

The Transporter (2002)

Overview:
Buckle up for "a slick enjoyable ride" (The Sun) that delivers "a medley of stunning fight sequences" (The Times).
Frank Martin (Jason Statham - Snatch) is the best at what he does: transporting dangerous or illegal goods with no questions asked. But his latest shipment, a beautiful young woman kidnapped by international slave traders, brings deadly complications to his delivery plans. Now Frank must kick into overdrive in a nonstop, action-packed fight to save his precious cargo - and his life.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The opening car chase is one of the best car chases since the turn of the century.
- Some cracking action choreography, especially the bus fight and Statham's house being blown to pieces.
- Jason Statham was born for this sort of role. He kicks, punches, grimaces throughout with ease.
- Shu Qi is also excellent as the not so helpless reason Statham's character breaks his own rules.
Cons:
- Nothing massively original. Even the bike pedals being used in the grease fight was done in one of the Once Upon a Time in China movies.
- All the characters are as stereotypical they come.
- The dialogue can leave a lot to be desired.
Overall:
You might not be impressed by the storyline, but the action sequence can be mindblowing. Recommended as a popcorn flick. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #514 on: April 17, 2012, 10:01:14 PM »

Trespass (2011)

Overview:
Kyle and Sarah Miller have it all: a huge gated house on the water, fancy cars, and the potential for romance in their relationship. He's just back from a business trip (he brokers diamonds) and their teen daughter Avery is sneaking out to a party, when four thugs in security uniforms and ski masks stage a home invasion. They want what's in the safe: cash and diamonds. Kyle stalls them, trying to negotiate for Sarah's freedom. Over the next few hours, the back stories of the four robbers (two brothers, a girlfriend, and the representative of a local drug kingpin) as well as the fault lines in Kyle and Sarah's marriage come into play. Is there room here for heroism?

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Jordana Spiro is good as junkie villain Petal. Sometimes overplays it but does well.
- Liana Liberato shows promise as an actress. Didn't get a huge chance here but did as well as the script would allow.
- Some of the plot points were interesting (just poorly conceived).
Cons:
- Won't somebody bring back 90's Nic Cage? Con Air, The Rock, Snake Eyes, Leaving Las Vegas...
- Nicole Kidman. A favourite actress of mine, very wooden here. She looked like she knew she was onto a loser.
- I love home invasion movies but this is one of the poorer ones in recent memory. Panic Room, Firewall and Hostage were all much better.
- The writing. It repeats itself screaming "Run" at every opportunity and the little side arcs to the story added nothing.
Overall:
Don't be tempted by Kidman's name. Skip it. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #515 on: April 18, 2012, 01:26:01 AM »

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011)

Overview:
Globally beloved young reporter Tintin and his fiercely loyal dog Snowy--iconic characters, created by Herge--are brought to life in world-wide smash hit, The Adventures of Tintin.
After discovering a model ship carrying an explosive secret, Tintin and his friends find themselves in the crosshairs of a diabolical villain. From the high seas to the sands of the North African deserts, every new twist and turn sweeps viewers to ever greater levels of thrills, peril and adventure.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- There are no two ways about it, the animation is gorgeous.
- Film flows very well and the set pieces are fantastic. Loved the airplane scenes.
- The cast selected were absolutely spot on. Jamie Bell, Nick Frost, Simon Pegg and Daniel Craig should all be very happy with themselves.
- The score by John Williams represents each scene perfectly.
Cons:
- The alcoholism jokes for Captain Braddock were overused. A welcome addition and I'm glad they didn't bow to possible controversy, but it got a little boring after a while.
- Some of the side characters just weren't needed.
Overall:
Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #516 on: April 18, 2012, 04:33:59 AM »

Getting Even with Dad (1994)

Overview:
He's not getting mad, he's Getting Even With Dad. Small time crook Ray Gleason just committed the perfect crime, but it took one small thing to screw it up... a visit from his son. Because after a lifetime of being ignored, Timmy is getting even! Macaulay Culkin and Ted Danson join forces in this hilarious and heartwarming comedy about an enterprising kid who finds the ideal way to make his father into the dad he never had. A little love, a little kindness... and a little blackmail.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Ted Danson, Saul Rubinek and Gailard Sartain all gel together really well as the robbers.
- There's a bit of humour for everybody. Physical comedy for the kids and a bit of humour aimed for directly at the adults.
- It's well paced, and although it never fully finds its feet, it doesn't outstay its welcome.
Cons:
- Macaulay Culkin. I hate to say it, but you can see he was starting to get burnt out and didn't look like a happy kid. After 1994 he took a long nine year break from movies.
- It starts to get funny but then the style changes and it just never gets the right footing to keep you fully entertained.
- Hector Elizonda is criminally underused.
- It all leads to a very obvious ending. Not an ounce of originality to be found.
Overall:
It's not a bad family comedy, it just isn't that good either. It's the definition of nineties live action, lazy, mediocre movie-making aimed at kids. It's watchable, but there are much better and much worse out there. Low end of rent it. 2.5/5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 18, 2012, 06:49:37 AM »
- Won't somebody bring back 90's Nic Cage? Con Air, The Rock, Snake Eyes, Leaving Las Vegas...
He died and now this other guy is in charge...

Well, a good director can reign (sp?) him in, he just does all this standard action fare most of the time and those director's either can't get him there or just don't care.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #518 on: April 18, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »

Club Dread (2004)

Overview:
Welcome to Coconut Pete's Pleasure Island, a booze-soaked vacation resort where high-spirited fun soon takes a deadly turn - leaving the island's hilarioulsy inept staff to battle a machete-wielding maniac as they fight to survive another day in paradise.
Filled with side-splitting humour, scary slasher scenes, and plenty of bikini-clad babes, Broken Lizard's Club Dread is a comedy to die for!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Fun horror parody with some reasonable laughs throughout.
- Some good kill scenes, if unoriginal.
- Jordan Ladd, Brittany Daniel, Tanja Reichart etc etc... Perfect totty for a horror movie.
- Had to love the real life drunken Pac-Man game.
Cons:
- Nothing new. There are better and funnier horror parodies out there.
- Jay Chandrasekhar's character. Instantly annoying, especially his English accent.
- The story and the film is pretty forgettable afterwards.
- The cast are generally quite mediocre. Even Bill Paxton struggles as Coconut Pete.
Overall:
Average throughout with nothing standout. Rent it. 3/5

Najemikon

« Reply #519 on: April 18, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »
I didn't like Club Dread at all. Jay Chandrasekhar's character would have been offensive if it was any good and none of the others were any better. Part of the reason I disliked it so much was because I really liked Broken Lizard's other films, Super Troopers and Beerfest. The same actors just basically play themselves and lark around, so the end result is much better. Highly recommend those two.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #520 on: April 18, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »

Men with Brooms (2002)

Overview:
Paul Gross stars as the leader of a recently reunited curling team from a small Canadian town. This offbeat comedy follows the team as they work through their respective life issues and struggle to win the championship for the sake of their late coach.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Not many comedies out there about curling, so although it's similar to many other sporting comedies, it still has a refreshing touch.
- Cracking little cameo by The Tragically Hip. Shame it was such a small one though.
- Well cast for the most part, particularly Paul Gross, Leslie Nielsen and Molly Parker.
- A good mixture of characters, each getting their own little subplot which doesn't detract from the main story.
Cons:
- Some of the humour would've been better if it had been pulled off in a more subtle manner.
- I'm no curling expert, but even I could see the way points were being added during the games were well off.
- Unsurprising and formulaic ending, that is just like most other sports comedies out there.
Overall:
Formulaic sports comedy. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #521 on: April 18, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »
I didn't like Club Dread at all. Jay Chandrasekhar's character would have been offensive if it was any good and none of the others were any better. Part of the reason I disliked it so much was because I really liked Broken Lizard's other films, Super Troopers and Beerfest. The same actors just basically play themselves and lark around, so the end result is much better. Highly recommend those two.

I've seen both and thought they were also 3/5's. Found Super Troopers a little overrated though loved the scene where they pull over the stoners. The characters were funnier in Super Troopers but I found the story in Club Dread, whilst forgettable, better thought out. Beerfest I need to see again before really saying much more. From what a friend of mine has said, The Slammin' Salmon is their best. I've not seen it though.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #522 on: April 19, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »

The Warriors (1979)

Overview:
Director Walter Hill claims his turf with 'The Warriors' Ultimate Director's Cut! It's the stunning, must-see version of the classic film, loaded with special features that pack extra punch. The Warriors are ready to fight their way back to Coney Island, but standing in their path are some of the baddest, out-for-blood gangs in New York City. It'll take every bit of street smarts and every weapon they can find to make it back alive!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- David Patrick Kelly as Luther. He isn't in it much but he's an important character. He's chilling during his infamous line: "Warriors.... come out to pla-ay".
- Walter Hill shot some cracking scenes that maybe go unnoticed in the overall story. When the 'prom' kids get on the subway and sit across from Swan and Mercy, the difference between the lives the characters obviously have is excellently put forward and the silence is deafening.
- Considering the cast are (or were at the time) relatively unknowns, they have been selected very well and none of the gang members look out of place.
- The way the story is narrated by a radio presenter is brilliant.
- A very interesting take on the ancient Greek tale Anabasis.
Cons:
- Some of the gangs just felt too 'comicy' to be menacing.
- On occasion, the dialogue is slightly clunky.
Overall:
A great tale of survival and one of Walter Hill's best. Recommended. 4/5

Najemikon

« Reply #523 on: April 19, 2012, 12:47:15 AM »

I've seen both and thought they were also 3/5's. Found Super Troopers a little overrated though loved the scene where they pull over the stoners. The characters were funnier in Super Troopers but I found the story in Club Dread, whilst forgettable, better thought out. Beerfest I need to see again before really saying much more. From what a friend of mine has said, The Slammin' Salmon is their best. I've not seen it though.

Fair points. I think I prefer them when they aren't trying! Not seen Salmon so I'll have to look it up.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #524 on: April 19, 2012, 03:12:52 AM »

The Dukes of Hazzard (2005)

Overview:
More rude, nude & crude than the version seen in cinemas!
With the General Lee tanked up for car-crashin' action and with more laughs than a dog has fleas, this big-screen version of the long-running TV series is big-time fun. Johnny Knoxville, Seann William Scott, Jessica Simpson, Burt Reynolds, Willie Nelson and more help keep the pedal to the metal for 100-MPH laughs. Stars, comedy, spills and thrills - 'The Dukes Of Hazzard's' got it all, y'all!
And on top of that, this 'DVD-Exclusive Unseen Version' features 'outrageous footage not shown in cinemas'. These good ol' boys just got better - and you're in for a whole lot more fun!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Willie Nelson as Uncle Jesse. He has the right sort of screen presence for the role.
- Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg. Really thought he did well, and loved the scene where he visits the Dukes in jail.
- The General Lee. They've done very well recreating the car and the stunts that go with it, look great.
- Jessica Simpson, whilst she pales in comparison acting wise to Catherine Bach, at least looks the part.
Cons:
- The story takes too much of a backseat and is more an excuse to string together the set pieces.
- Although I thought the casting overall was good, the characters themselves weren't as likeable as the TV show.
- Roscoe was one of my favourite characters in the TV show, here he is hardly noticeable.
- Seann William Scott and Johnny Knoxville were ok, but the casting could've been better for the Dukes.
Overall:
Unfairly hated on IMO. Sure the story is ropey but the movie is still plenty of fun to chill out to and watch. Rent it. 3/5
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:17:14 AM by samuelrichardscott »