Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224634 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #495 on: April 06, 2012, 10:46:22 AM »
- Vincent Kartheiser. I just didn't care for his performance as Seyfried's father.
I remember him from one or two movies a while back; Another Day in Paradise(?) and some movie about terrorists taking over a school(?). I am a bit surprised to see that he is now old enough to play a parent...

I first thought the same thing but then I remembered the premise of the movie. I.e. people don't age and you always look like you are 25.
I remember him (and disliking him) from the series "Angel", where he played the teenaged son of Angel.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #496 on: April 06, 2012, 11:38:06 AM »
Yes sorry/ Tom has it right in that once you reach 25, and your timer starts, you stop aging and if you have enough 'time' you live forever. Olivia Wilde plays Justin Timberlake's mother. She's 50 in the movie. Kartheirser plays a 100++ year old. He is the worlds richest man and has a million+ years in reserve so in essence can live for a million years looking like a 25-year old. Timberlake is a poor character who never has more than a day built up, earning his day to day usage at a factory.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 06, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
Thanks fr the reminder. I knew about the setup from Kermode's review but had forgotten.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #498 on: April 11, 2012, 08:05:27 PM »

Water for Elephants (2011)

Overview:
Academy Award® winner Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson give mesmerising performances in this visually stunning and epic romantic drama, which tells the powerfully emotional story of two people who pursue their love against all odds, rules and conventions, set in the alluring and enigmatic world of a travelling circus.

My Thoughts:
I was kind of put off from viewing Water for Elephants for a short while after hearing some hit and miss reviews and some of my friends saying it was merely good but a little over-sentimental. Yes, it is over-sentimal, but you can't take that away from what is essentially a very good drama set around a circus. Say what you want about Robert Pattinson, but he puts in a strong performance here as circus worker Jacob who falls in love with the circus owner's wife. Christop Waltz is worth viewing this for alone as the circus owner August, playing every emotion and psychotic element of the character perfectly. Reece Witherspoon, whilst good, does feel a little bit out of her depth and I do think her role would've been more suited to say, Naomi Watts or perhaps Cate Blanchett, who would've been able to pull off the thirties charm a bit better. The way the story is set out as a look back at Jacob's life is done well without popping back to 'current' Jacob every few minutes, instead allowing the story to flow throughout and going back to 'current' Jacob at the end only. There are better films out there, but I got a lot more out of this than I had hoped. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #499 on: April 12, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »

Drive Angry (2011)

Overview:
A tongue-in-cheek and hugely enjoyable action blast, full of smoking-hot cars and drop-dead gorgeous women, with Nicolas Cage on top form.
Milton (Cage) is a hardened--albeit dead--criminal who has so far spent his afterlife in hell. Enraged by the murder of his daughter and the imminent sacrifice of his baby granddaughter by a brutal religious cult, Milton breaks out to stop the real evil-doers before they fully unleash hell on Earth.
Aided by a seriously hot and sassy waitress Piper (Amber Heard, All The Boys Love Mandy Lane) and driving a cherry red muscle car which Piper liberates from her meat-head ex, Milton is blazing a trail in pursuit of the brutal cult leader. But Milton’s being hounded too – not only by the police but by an enigmatic character known only as The Accountant (a scene-stealing William Fichtner from Entourage and Prison Break), who has been sent by the Devil to bring Milton back to hell.
Milton is mad, bad and hell-bent on achieving his goal. He’s breaking all the rules, but what are they gonna do – not let him back in?

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Completely over the top action sequences that were a lot of fun. The motel shoot-out was very good.
- Amber Heard was made for this role. Sassy, take-no-crap attitude is perfect. She's good to look at also.
- William Fichtner is great as The Accountant and Billy Burke is also good as the cult leader.
- The film wasn't afraid to be a little unconvential in its direction for a studio film. It's firmly tongue in cheek whilst not becoming a parody of itself.
Cons:
- Although Nicolas Cage isn't terrible here, he is the weak link. One facial expression and quite monotonous line delivery, whilst applicable for some scenes, isn't necessary all the way through.
- The supernatural aspect gets silly and sometimes even lost among all the action.
- The dialogue isn't quite up to the standard you would hope. There are some good segments, but it mainly falls to the wayside.
Overall:
Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #500 on: April 12, 2012, 07:55:14 PM »

Fierce Creatures (1997)

Overview:
Jamie Lee Curtis, John Cleese, Michael Palin and Academy Award® Winner* Kevin Kline follow their smash hit A Fish Called Wanda with another hilarious farce. A quaint English zoo is the setting for a riotous revolt after the zoo director attempts to rid the park of its cute, cuddly animals and display only "fierce creatures."

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Sure, this isn't as good as A Fish Called Wanda, but it was great to see the cast reunited (Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline, Michael Palin and Jamie Lee Curtis) for another above average comedy.
- Some of the dialogue is hilarious, especially Cleese's freudian slips when talking with Curtis and the misinformed information about Cleese's sexdrive.
- Good to see Ronnie Corbett in a nice little role as the man in charge of the sealions. He had some enjoyable little moments.
- Kline handles playing two characters very well with enough distinction between the two.
Cons:
- After a while, Palin's character becoming a little annoying. Would've liked his character to be cut down a little.
- Although funny and above average in a general sense, the script is not at as high a standard as we might expect from Cleese.
- Some of the business meeting scenes outstay their welcome.
Overall:
Underrated comedy that is recommended. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:59:32 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #501 on: April 12, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »

Beethoven (1992)

Overview:
Fall in love with the big-hearted, wet-nosed star of this outrageous comedy hit from producer Ivan Reitman. With nefarious dognappers hot on his heels, an adorable puppy named Beethoven adopts the unsuspecting Newton family – and promptly grows up into 185 pounds of romping, drooling, disaster-prone St. Bernard!
Charles Grodin is George, the none-too-thrilled father whose disdain for the cuddly canine becomes the target of unspeakable animal experimentation.
Now it's up to George to save the day in this fetching adventure...

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Ummm, kind of nostalgic I suppose.
- Good viewing for a family.
- Charles Grodin looking pissed off and David Duchovny getting dragged on a garden chair.
- Bonnie Hunt, Oliver Platt, Patricia Heaton and Stanley Tucci. Always good to see them.
Cons:
- Not as good as I remember when I was nine.
- The kids were annoying and not very good at acting.
- Only one funny moment that got more than a smile. Not enough for a family comedy.
- Straightforward unoriginal story.
Overall:
Uninspiring but not rubbish. Rent it. 2.5/5

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 13, 2012, 01:42:01 AM »
I guess my nieces and nephews would like it because of the dog... there are less than 10 years old kids so they don't ask a lot to a movie contrary to their uncle :laugh:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 13, 2012, 09:12:34 AM »
Seems like you got a batch of German DVDs. I kinda liked Drive Angry - stupid, but fun. I guess they tried to top Shoot 'Em Up with the motel scene, but unfortunately more nudity didn't make it better.
Matthias

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #504 on: April 13, 2012, 01:11:13 PM »
Seems like you got a batch of German DVDs.

Yeah, one Amazon seller seems to be pretty cheap right now and is based in Germany. Can't even remember the sellers name but the package says medimops.com or something like that on it. Stupidly low prices on the two items I grabbed recently. Final Destination 4 3D Blu-ray was £1.65 and Drive Angry was £1.67. I have picked up a number of German releases over the years. A few Rapid Eye releases like Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl plus some horrors like Amazonas and The Class of 1984 from companies like Marketing Film before these movies were made available elsewhere.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #505 on: April 14, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »

Diagnosis: Death (2010)

Overview:
Featuring the hilarious trio from Flight of the Conchords (Bret McKenzie, Rhys Darby & Jermaine Clement) this slick comedy horror is a riotous and gruesome nod to Peter Jackson's (Lord of the Rings) early films.
A supernatural force brings together two lost souls undergoing radical treatment at an experimental drug-testing facility, but when the facility is locked down for the weekend and the drugs take effect, the human guinea pigs experience sinister hallucinations pointing to a horrific double murder.
Unsure of where reality stops, the apparitions become more and more threatening until the only way to leave the facility alive is to solve this haunting secret.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Some of the dialogue is brilliantly dark.
- Suze Tye as Nurse Bates was just the right amount of creepy for the character.
- Cameos from the stars of Flight of the Conchords.
Cons:
- The comedy is very hit and miss and they don't always make the best out of the situations.
- The storyline is a little weak and it isn't helped by a mainly average cast.
- Predictable ending.
Overall:
An interesting indie horror-comedy from New Zealand that just falls short of the mark. Rent it. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #506 on: April 16, 2012, 01:52:14 AM »

Cheaters (2000)

Overview:
At Chicago's Steinmetz High School the kids are branded no-hopers from day one. But English teacher Dr Gerard Plecki (Jeff Daniels) is determined his team of underdogs will make it to the national championships in the Illinois Academic Decathlon. Not only that. They'll also beat their cross-town rivals - the privileged kids at Whitney Young High.
The odds are stacked against Plecki and his motley crew, until along comes the chance of a lifetime: guaranteed victory. Reluctantly Plecki agrees to a plan that is destined to change his life and the lives of his students forever.
Based on the real life cheating scandal of 1995, 'Cheaters' takes a dark and uncompromising look at high school life in America and asks the question: Is winning everything?

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- Jeff Bridges is very good as the teacher and Paul Sorvino is very good as the principal.
- Earlyish role for Jena Malone who is certainly the most exceptional cast member here and she shows her star qualities which have now come to full fruition.
- I always like endings when a film is based on a true story and they tell you what happened to each character in the following years, and how some still maintain they never cheated.
- Stockwell has done well, in that you route for the Steinmetz team despite the fact they are cheating.
Cons:
- Hard to tell just how much has been creatively exaggerated. Would've been nice to have a retrospective featurette or interviews with some of those involved included on the DVD.
- At the end of the day, these kids cheated other hard working students, but the Whitney Young students are made to look bad because they are a magnet school.
- The scene in which the kids are interrogated by the schoolboard seemed misplaced.
Overall:
An interesting true story, made into a solid movie. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #507 on: April 16, 2012, 04:22:12 AM »

Heart of the Dragon (1985)

Overview:
Showcases the most powerful physical fight sequences of Jackie Chan's illustrious career!
International action-superstar, Jackie Chan, plays Fung Tat, a hard-hitting cop who sacrifices his dreams to care for his only brother: a childlike innocent whose endearing simplicity renders him an unsuspecting victim of a kidnap conspiracy.
In a deadly race against the clock, Fung is torn between duty and devotion, as he risks everything in a daring attempt to liberate his brother in exchange for a top-level police informant.
Combines emotion, drama and world-class fight and stunt sequences in one explosive package!

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- When is a Jackie Chan / Sammo Hung collaboration NOT good? I've heard this described as a martial arts version of Rain Man.
- A really fun car chase, and an action-packed finale.
- There's some crazy non-politically correct humour based around Hung's character... but you can't help but laugh.
- Although the above comedy scenes may go a bit far at times for most, there are also some very good touching scenes about the relationship between the brothers.
Cons:
- Not as much martial arts as most Chan/Hung movies.
- The product placements get a little annoying, and overly obvious towards the end.
- Biao Yuen and Sammo get next to no fighting scenes, leaving it all to Chan.
Overall:
A bit of a change of pace for Chan/Hung but a lot of fun nonetheless. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #508 on: April 16, 2012, 06:29:52 AM »

Highlander II: The Quickening

Overview:
Years after battling the Kurgan in Scotland and New York, Connor MacLeod (CHRISTOPHER LAMBERT) and his suave mentor, Juan Villa-Lobos Ramirez (SEAN CONNERY), are back, tracking time warps and new adventures in this all action sequel, again directed by Russell Mulcahy.
The Kurgan may have been vanquished – remember decapitation is the only way an immortal can be killed – but there now there are new and more powerful foes to counter in an even more hostile world.

My Thoughts:
Pros:
- The end credits eventually rolled.
Cons:
- Everything leading up to the end credits. Acting was awful, storyline made little sense and action was poor poor poor.
Overall:
Skip it. 1/5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 16, 2012, 06:48:30 AM »
Have you seen the Director's Cut, or "improved" Cut (I haven't). It takes out the whole alien angle and keeps the story on earth.