Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224634 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #450 on: March 24, 2012, 05:22:41 PM »

Mars Attacks! (1996)

Overview:
SEE! Stars that shine across the galaxy. Jack Nicholson (in a dual role), Glenn Close, Annette Bening, Pierce Brosnan, Danny DeVito and a dozen more! SHRIEK! At mean, green invaders from the angry red planet! Armed with insta-fry ray guns, endowed with slimy, humungous brains - and enlivened with out-of-this-world but state-of-the-art special effects. GASP! As the U.S. legislature is overwhelmed. (Don't fear, we still have 2 out of 3 branches of the government working for us, and that ain't bad!) THRILL! As Earth fights back with an unexpected weapon. Take that, Martians!

My Thoughts:
I think it is safe to say I am not a fan of Tim Burton and do find him to be an overrated director. Despite that, I do like the majority of his work, but he just isn't anywhere near as dark as he thinks and he seems to garner a bit too much praise for my liking. Mars Attacks is one of his more overlooked movies in his filmography though, with a fine mix of comedy, sci-fi and action with a great cast to bring it to life. Unfortunately, it sometimes feels a little overloaded with characters and they don't really get a chance to shine but hey, Jack Nicholson, Pam Grier, Glenn Close, Annette Bening, Martin Short, Danny DeVito, Michael J. Fox, Natalie Portman, Rod Steiger etc etc etc in the one place? What is not to like about the cast? Oh yeah, Sarah Jessica Parker. Dialogue has some cracking one-liners but is sometimes overly-hammy, overstepping the obvious homage to 50's sci-fi. Still, it is an entertaining movie and I generously recommend it with a 3.5/5
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:24:29 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #451 on: March 24, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »

Push (2009)

Overview:
Riveting Sci-Fi action thriller Push is set in a deadly world of psychic espionage where the ability to move objects using only the mind, see the future, create new realities and kill without ever touching the victim can turn a person into a lethal weapon - or a target. A young man (Chris Evans - Sunshine, Fantastic Four) and a teenage girl with extraordinary gifts (Dakota Fanning - War of the Worlds) take on a clandestine agency in a battle they can win only if they change the future.

My Thoughts:
Push is a flawed film full of great ideas that are ultimately poorly realised. We have a world in which people can kill without touching their victim, move objects using their mind, look forwards into the future and even push memories into peoples heads, but unfortunately, the characters who have these powers are not as well written into the script as I would've liked. Dakota Fanning, Chris Evans, Camilla Belle and Djimon Hounsou are all quite good in their roles, doing the best they can with the material. Special effects are very good and are not overused, in particular the effects from the scenes involving the bleeders. Overall, Push has good ideas, it just doesn't bring them together well enough to be worth more than a rental. The story still works, but there is missed opportunities everywhere. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #452 on: March 25, 2012, 12:34:50 AM »

Sucker Punch (2011)

Overview:
Sucker Punch is an epic action fantasy that takes us into the vivid imagination of a young girl whose dream world provides the ultimate escape from her darker reality. Unrestrained by the boundaries of time and place, she is free to go where her mind takes her, and her incredible adventures blur the lines between what's real and what is imaginary.
She has been locked away against her will, but Babydoll (Emily Browning) has not lost her will to survive. Determined to fight for her freedom, she urges four other young girls-the outspoken Rocket (Jena Malone), the street-smart Blondie (Vanessa Hudgens), the fiercely loyal Amber (Jamie Chung) and the reluctant Sweet Pea (Abbie Cornish)-to band together and try to escape their terrible fate at the hands of their captors, Blue (Oscar Isaac), Madam Gorski (Carla Gugino) and the High Roller (Jon Hamm).
Led by Babydoll, the girls engage in fantastical warfare against everything from samurais to serpents, with a virtual arsenal at their disposal. Together, they must decide what they are willing to sacrifice in order to stay alive. But with the help of a Wise Man (Scott Glenn), their unbelievable journey--if they succeed--will set them free.

My Thoughts:
Well, I won't beat around the bush on this one. After loving Snyder's Dawn of the Dead, and really enjoying 300 (after a dodgy first viewing), I was thrown off a little by Watchmen but still looked forward to Sucker Punch, which, from the trailers, the synopsis and the cast, looked pretty awesome. Unfortunately, that is the problem. It does look awesome, but they forgot to include much in the way of substance. Each scene was just another excuse to string together stunning visuals (punk-steam zombies were excellent) but without enough care put towards the actual storyline. I understood all the metaphors like the dragon when the girls are stealing fire, but it just wasn't substantial enough. The cast were all quite good, in particular Carla Gugino, who took a bit of a backseat to her younger co-stars and I enjoyed the music selection but I just can't recommend it unless you just want to look at something pretty. 5/5 for the effects, 1.5/5 for the (lack of) story. Altogether, a low-end rental. 2.5/5

Sidenote: The Blu-ray looks and sounds phenomenal. Reference quality in most instances.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #453 on: March 26, 2012, 03:50:57 PM »

Havoc (2005)

Overview:
Starring Anne Hathaway (Devil Wears Prada, Brokeback Mountain) in a provocative leading role, Havoc is the riveting tale about youths with a taste for the forbidden.
They were done with playing it safe. When Allison (Anne Hathaway) and Emily (Bijou Phillips) leave their rich, affluent neighbourhood for a joyride through East L.A they gain a glimpse of a dangerous landscape involving drugs, sex and gang brutality. As their fear quickly turns to infatuation, Allison and Emily find themselves seduced by a dark and dangerous world and in a situation they may not be able to get out of.
From two-time Academy Award® winning director Barbara Kopple and Academy Award® winning writer Stephen Gaghan (Traffic), Havoc is a fast paced coming of age tale with an explosive ending that will leave you wanting more.

My Thoughts:
Havoc is a mixed bag and has some amazingly droll scenes mixed with some very effective ones. It follows a group of teens who are, esentially, 'wiggers'. Rich and from the suburbs, they are fascinated by gangster life and the 'wigger' scenes are sometimes brutally bad to watch. Even with upper-class youth pretending to be like street gang members, I doubt anyone acts like Matt O'Leary or Joseph Gordon-Levitt's characters who are also horribly written and acted. Sure, they were supposed to be intentionally OTT, but it was just embarassing and really took away from the storyline. A shame really as JGL is one of my favourite actor's in Hollywood today. Where the movie really excels though is when Anne Hathaway and Bijou Phillips become so fascinated with the Spanish gang they came across at the start, they become embroiled in gangster lives (at the bottom of the chain), leading to wanting to join the gang and the aftermath and the consequences of their decisions. If they had cut out the 'wigger' scenes, or at least edited them down massively, and concentrated on Hathaway and Phillips, this could have been far better than how it turned out but it is still worth a rental/cheap purchase. I noticed the movie was dedicated writer to Jessica Kaplan, who unfortunately died aged 24 in a plane crash before the film was completed. 3/5
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:53:22 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #454 on: March 26, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »

The Bank Job (2008)

Overview:
THE BANK JOB is inspired by an extraordinary true event – a daring robbery that took place in the 70s, with a haul valued higher than that of the Great Train Robbery. Yet almost as soon as the 'Walkie Talkie Bank Job' happened, a gagging order was placed on the story and it disappeared completely from the media.
Only now, over 30 years later, has the fascinating story come to light and the truth behind a right royal scandal been exposed. Directed by Roger Donaldson (The Recruit, Species), THE BANK JOB reveals an amazing backstory where for once the criminals were the most innocent ones involved.
Starring Jason Statham (The Transporter, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels), Saffron Burrows (Deep Blue Sea) and David Suchet (TV's Poirot), this is a highly charged thriller and an immensely enjoyable Brit-flick in one.

My Thoughts:
Crime movies based on true events are always a tough cookie to crack. Sometimes the embellishment gets the better of the storyline, whilst other times, not enough embellishment of the events can lead to boredom. The Bank Job is a film that has been "in-development" under various guises, teams and production houses since just a few years after the events in the early seventies, but it wasn't until 2008 that it was finally realised. Thankfully, it was worth the wait. It's well paced, builds up to a great climax and the dialogue is spot on, not over-doing the mockney and staying within the seventies slang. The set design is absolutely perfect. All the right clothes, the cars and the interiors of the buildings look great. The soundtrack is also fitting, using a mixture of genres from the period with songs including Get It On by T-Rex and I Believe in Love by The Storys. Roger Donaldson has put together a great British cast and a great story very well and it only fails at times from being a bit formulaic. Recommended. 4/5

Almost highly recommended but I just can't bring myself to up the mark to a 4.5/5 :weep:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:39:21 AM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #455 on: March 26, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »

The Fourth Kind (2009)

Overview:
In remote Alaska, citizens have been mysteriously vanishing since the 1960s. Despite multiple investigations, the truth behind the penomena had never been discovered - until now.
While video taping therapy session with traumatised patients, psychologist Dr. Abigail Tyler (Milla Jovovich) unwittingly exposes terrifying revelations of multiple victims whose claims of being visited by alien figures all share disturbingly identical details.
Base on actual case studies, The Fouth Kind uses Dr. Tyler's never-before-seen archival footage alongside dramatic reenactments to present the most disturbing evidence ever documented in the provocative thriller critics are calliong "terrifyingly real... The most shocking alien abduction movie to date".

My Thoughts:
Despite the cast involved; Milla Jovavich, Will Patton and Elias Koteas, The Fourth Kind isn't a very good film. I'm surprised some people actually believed this to be a true story, because it is made kind of obvious by the throughout, that it isn't. I have to give director Olatunde Osunsanmi props for the way he made the film though, as the mix of 'documentary' footage with reconstructions is actually really well done, especially the way Milla Jovavich tells us who she is and who she will be playing in the reconstruction parts right at the beginning. Some of the effects are OK, and some of the pychiatric settings have the right feel to them, but to be honest, it's quite boring and never got the atmosphere or the dialogue needed to keep me interested. Skip it. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #456 on: March 27, 2012, 01:45:28 AM »

A Very British Gangster (2007)

Overview:
A Very British Gangster is an all access guide into one of Britain's most dangerous crime families. For the very first time, a group of hardened criminals open their lives to reveal a brutal world and an underclass which relies upon gangsters for justice, rather than police.
Britain's best known investigative journalist turned director, Donal MacIntyre, presents a close-up view of a world embroiled in kidnapping, torture, narcotics and murder. But behind the macho bravado, a poignant world is revealed where a community struggles with poverty, violence and drugs.
The film follows the trials and tribulations of mob boss Dominic Noonan over three years, as he lurches from criminal trial to criminal trial. Dominic, head of the Noonan crime dynasty, a second generation family of Irish stock, legally changed his last name to Lattlay Fottfoy, an acronym for the family motto; " Look after those that look after you, f**k off those that f**k off you ".

My Thoughts:
The Noonan's are one of the most feared underworld families in the UK. This documentary follows Dominic Noonan around for a year as he is acquited from a £500,000 heroin bust, a kidnap charge and various 'smaller' charges. The documentary, whilst some have said glorifies gang life, does quite the opposite in my opinion. Dominic obviously struggles with all the time he is in jail, missing his kids growing up and dealing with his drug addict brother who is allegedly responsible for 20-30 gangland killings (according to Greater Manchester Police, though he was never found guilty of a single one) and is getting on the wrong side of other big villains (he is actually murdered during the course of the documentary). Also shocking is watching the tenacity of up-and-comer Aaron who has taken the area by storm as a drug dealer. He gets extremely big-headed fast, and is eventually hiding from those he has crossed. In all, this documentary shows that crime doesn't pay... I just wish it was more in-depth and that Donal McIntyre was more intrusive in his line of questioning, although it is perfectly reasonable that he wasn't judging by the figures involved. Some bits that peaked my interest was all eight witnesses against him leaving the country when he was in court (and he was therefor acquitted), how local pub landlords and neighbours call on him to solve any disputes and how he is openly gay and speaks Urdu, despite the fact that gangsters are generally homophobic and racist. Recommended. 3.5/5

As a side note, some hilarious moments are in this also, my favourite being from  his nephew, who is a talented singer.
Donal McIntyre: So where do you sing?
The nephew: Family weddings, funerals and acquittals.... (pause) ... mainly acquittals.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:50:15 AM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #457 on: March 27, 2012, 06:07:01 PM »

Troll Hunter (2010)

Overview:
Whilst investigating a series of suspicious bear killings, a group of students track a mysterious 'hunter' who wants nothing to do with them and attempts to shake them off his trail. Sheer persistence leads the group right to the prey he is trying to hunt which they soon learn are far more dangerous and mystical creatures than mere bears.
Troll Hunter is a thrilling and wildly entertaining ride where secrets are uncovered thought only to exist in fairy tales.

My Thoughts:
Troll Hunter is Norwegian director André Øvredal's second feature film, the first being filmed ten years earlier. It's yet another from the influx of found footage movies that we've had over the last decade but it certainly stands out as one of the better ones. It follows some student filmmakers shooting a documentary about bear hunting in Norway. They decide to follow a poacher only to discover he is hired by the government to hunt trolls. The story moves at a swift pace, the special effects are very well done and the cast, which has a lot of amateurs, is well selected. Tension builds well and the scares come at all the right moments. Information about the history of trolls and the types are dripped through to keep you intrigued instead of mindless random troll attacks and plenty of little references to fairy tales are made. Overall, I really enjoyed this and after the commercial success it's had I'm surprised Øvredal doesn't seem to have anything in production. A solid 4/5.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:08:40 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #458 on: March 27, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »

Warrior (2011)

Overview:
Warrior stars Tom Hardy (Inception, The Dark Knight Rises) and Joel Edgerton (The Thing). An inspirational and exhilarating rollercoaster of a film, Warrior centres around Tommy (Hardy) – an ex marine haunted by a tragic past, who enlists the help of his estranged father (Nick Nolte) to train up for the fight of his life. A former wrestling prodigy, Tommy blazes a path towards SPARTA - the biggest ‘winner takes all’ Mixed Martial Arts event in history. His brother, Brendan (Joel Edgerton), an ex-fighter-turned teacher, also returns to the ring in a desperate bid to save his family from financial ruin. So when Brendan’s unlikely underdog rise sets him on a collision course with the unstoppable Tommy, the two brothers must finally confront each other - and the forces that pulled them apart - in the ultimate face off.

My Thoughts:
In recent years, a couple of 'sport fighter' movies have garnered critical acclaim. We've had Mickey Rourke's comeback in The Wrestler and the true story of boxer Mickey Ward starring Mark Wahlberg. Warrior immerses the viewer into the world of one of the fastest growing sports, MMA (mixed martial arts). The story is a little formulaic and it is quite obvious which route the film will take, but it is exceptionally well written and really grips you. The acting is top notch from all involved, most notably from the continually surprising Nick Nolte who won a best supporting actor Oscar for his role here. The fight choreography is exceptional and you feel every punch, kick, slam and grapple helped along by very good editing which doesn't cut away every half a second as can often be found in these types of situations. Warrior is every bit as good as The Fighter and The Wrestler and if you're a fan of those I don't see any reason why you won't enjoy this. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

Najemikon

« Reply #459 on: March 27, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »
Yes, a very clever film indeed, considering it really is very predictable. However, it is virtually two films in one as each brothers path could be different kinds of sports movies on their own, so I really liked how they complimented one another.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #460 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:28 PM »
Yes, a very clever film indeed, considering it really is very predictable. However, it is virtually two films in one as each brothers path could be different kinds of sports movies on their own, so I really liked how they complimented one another.

Yeah, I liked the way it panned out. They could have spent too much time on the marine background or on the family history, but it was sharp and to the point whilst divulging enough information so you get a good idea of what each character has gone through in life.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #461 on: March 28, 2012, 12:38:19 AM »

Horrible Bosses (2011)

Overview:
For Nick, Kurt and Dale, the only thing that would make the daily grind more tolerable would be to grind their intolerable bosses into dust. Quitting is not an option, so, with the benefit of a few-too-many drinks and some dubious advice from a hustling ex-con, the three friends devise a convoluted and seemingly foolproof plan to rid themselves of their respective employers...permanently.
There's only one problem: even the best laid plans are only as foolproof as the brains behind them.
Jason Bateman (Couples Retreat), Charlie Day (Going the Distance) and Jason Sudeikis (Hall Pass) star as the three hapless workers, with Jennifer Aniston (He's Just Not That Into You), Colin Farrell (Crazy Heart) and two-time Oscar® winner Kevin Spacey (American Beauty, The Usual Suspects), as their unbearable bosses. Oscar® winner Jamie Foxx (Ray) stars as the plotters' unlikely mentor, whose street cred is priced on a sliding scale. The main cast also includes veteran actor Donald Sutherland and Julie Bowen (TV's Modern Family).

My Thoughts:
I first became aware of director Seth Gordon after viewing the documentary King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. After watching it, I looked around at what else he had done and just found TV work and the Christmas comedy Four Christmases (which I own but haven't watched) and it wasn't until the credits rolled on Horrible Bosses that I realised he was at the helm. It makes a refreshing change in pace at the moment to see a major Hollywood studio do a darker comedy than we are used to, and here it has been done well. Jokes are not overlong, they aren't cliched and they aren't what you see in every other comedy going. The cast assembled is impressive throughout, especially Kevin Spacey and Jennifer Aniston whose roles outside rom-coms continue to be her best (see The Good Girl for example). The pace is consistently fast and the movie plays out unpredictibly in some parts, catching some laughs along the way. It never takes itself seriously in any respect and it thrives because of it, with the cast looking like they are genuinely enjoying every moment. I have to say, I pretty much lapped enjoyed every moment too. Recommended. 4/5
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:42:05 AM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #462 on: March 28, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »

The Game Plan (2007)

Overview:
In this hilarious and heartwarming family comedy, one of the toughest players ever takes on his biggest challenge yet – fatherhood!
A superstar with an ego bigger than a football field, Joe Kingman (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) is getting ready for a run at the big championship when the 8-year-old daughter he never knew existed shows up at his not-so-friendly bachelor pad. As the big game gets closer, he begins to realise the most meaningful win he can achieve is the heart of the one little fan who counts the most.

My Thoughts:
A lot of people would dismiss this Disney comedy straight away because it stars Dwayne Johnson and is likely very formulaic Disney-fare. They would of course be right about how formulaic it is, but it is still worth a watch. Young Maddison Pettis is very good as Peyton, the daughter that The Rock's Joe Kingman never knew he had. The supporting cast are also quite good and include Roselyn Sanchez, Kyra Sedgwick and Morris Chestnut. Script-wise, there is nothing new here and the obvious does occur, but there are some funny moments throughout, especially those involving the rest of the American football team. Disney have made some dross live-action movies in recent years, but this isn't one of them. Unfortunately, it just isn't better than average either. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #463 on: March 28, 2012, 05:51:53 PM »

Gone in 60 Seconds (2000)

Overview:
Fasten your seatbelts for the extended ride of your life in this high-performance, fuel-injected GONE IN 60 SECONDS DIRECTOR'S CUT from producer Jerry Bruckheimer (National Treasure, Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl). Never-before-seen footage and amped-up sound add fuel to this already high-octane action hit, starring Nicolas Cage, Robert Duvall and sexy Angelina Jolie. A legendary car booster (Cage) thought he left the fast lane behind him – until he's forced out of retirement to save his kid brother from the wrath of an evil mobster. It's nothing less than a full-throttle race to pull off the ultimate car heist: 50 exotic beauties in 24 hours – and the cops are already onto them!

My Thoughts:
A lot of people hate this movie, but I'm a bit of a petrolhead so like with the original, I can look past the disjointed story and mismatched cast members and enjoy it for the cars and the chases. The story does make a couple of changes to the original, and although Nic Cage, Angelina Jolie and Giovanni Ribisi are harshly misplaced, a couple of cast members are perfect for their roles. This is the type of role Vinnie Jones is great for. A tough guy who doesn't speak (well, until the end) and shows no emotion. His role is second to that of Robert Carlyle who is brilliantly cast as the villain. Overall, the film is not very good, but the action scenes are enjoyable and the cars are a joy... so much so I have to recommend it, but only to car fans. The original has a much better chase, but I prefer the build-up in this one. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #464 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »

Bartok the Magnificent (1999)

Overview:
When Prince Ivan is kidnapped, it’s up to Bartok to discover the real hero inside himself and rescue the young Romanoff — even if it means confronting the evil witch Baba Yaga!
Filled with sparkling animation, colorful characters, and five brand–new songs from Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (composers of Ragtime and ANASTACIA), Bartok the Magnificent is a fun-filled adventure the whole family will love! Featuring the incredible voice talents of Hank Azaria, Kelsey Grammer and Jennifer Tilly!

My Thoughts:
When I was a kid, Don Bluth was responsible for some of my favourite animated movies including An American Tale, The Land Before Time and All Dogs Go to Heaven. It was with these experiences that I picked up Bartok the Magnificent and unfortunately, it was a disappointing experience. The animation style is typical Bluth but it feels a little outdated for 1999. The storyline, whilst ok, is a little slow at times despite a running time of just over an hour and the songs featured feel second rate compared to those found in Disney animated films. Still, there are a couple of positives. The voice cast is quite impressive and Hank Azaria is the highlight as Bartok. He is joined by the competant work of Kelsey Grammar, Jennifer Tilly, Tim Curry, Diedrich Bader and Catherine O'Hara among others. I also liked the fact that the story touches on the Russian fable of Baba Yaga but it unfortunately misses chances to run with it. Bartok is a lovable character, but the film is just too slow and uninteresting, capable of holding the attention of young kids only. Skip it. 2/5