Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224628 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #405 on: February 22, 2012, 11:44:16 PM »

Airheads (1994) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
In this hirarious spoof of the music industry, three intelligence-challenged rock 'n' rollers (BRENDON FRASER, STEVE BUSCEMI, ADAM SANDLER) decide to take drastic action after their music continually falls on deaf ears. They break into a radio station, hoping to get their demo played on the air. But when the deejay (JOE MANTEGNA) and station manager (MICHAEL McKEAN) refuse to play their song, the boys have no choice but to take the entire radio station hostage.

My Thoughts:
Although I'm not what you would call a fan of either Brendan Fraser or Adam Sandler, I do really enjoy Steve Buscemi's output and so I blind bought Airheads. I have to admit, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Fraser and Sandler are tolerable and Buscemi, whilst far from a career best, is very good as always. The supporting cast of Joe Mantegna, Amy Locane, Nina Siemaszko, David Arquette, Ernie Hudson, Chris Farley and Judd Nelson definately add to the film, all playing well suited characters. Sure, the story might be formulaic but it is a lot of fun, reasonable well made and never outstays its welcome. Recommended for comedy fans. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #406 on: February 23, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »

The Whistleblower (2010) Region B United Kingdom

Overview:
Hard up Nebraska Police Office Kathryn Bolkovac (Academy Award®-winner Rachel Weisz) accepts a well-paying UN peacekeeping job courtesy of a private military contractor working on behalf of the UN. She arrives in post-war Bosnia expecting a harmonized international effort, but instead finds chaos and disorder against a back drop of simmering ethnic tensions.
When a brutally injured young woman lands in the UN s care, Kathryn risks her own safety as she unearths an organised and brutal underworld of sex trafficking. Despite attempts to thwart her investigation and threats on her life she fights to uncover the truth and traces the path of criminality to a shocking source.

My Thoughts:
Based on the true story of Kathryn Bolkovac who uncovered a cover up of UN workers being involved in human sex trafficking (or "whores of war") in Bosnia, The Whistleblower went massively unnoticed in 2010 and I have no idea why. The directorial debut of Larysa Kondracki, The Whistleblower tells an important story which is wonderfully acted. The constantly overlooked Rachel Weisz plays Kathryn Bolkovac and is supported by equally as strong performances from Vanessa Redgrave, Monica Bellucci, Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Roxana Condurache. The story concentrates on Kathryn's uncovering and emotional turmoil and shows the horrors of the elicit trade well, without being explicit. I'm still torn on if I liked how abruptly the film ended, but overall, this is certainly recommended. A very solid 4/5.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #407 on: February 23, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »

Cowboys and Aliens (2011) Region Free United Kingdom

Overview:
From the director of Iron Man, comes an action-packed, sci-fi adventure starring Daniel Craig (Quantum of Solace, The Golden Compass), Harrison Ford (Morning Glory, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) and Olivia Wilde (Tron Legacy) as the only posse who can save the world from alien invasion. With cutting edge special effects and one-of-a-kind story, Cowboys & Aliens is a showdown you won’t want to miss.

My Thoughts:
I remember reading about Cowboys and Aliens when it was originally announced and I wasn't that interested. Then, as cast members were signed, I became slightly more interested until eventually, the trailer was released and I was surprised by how cool the film looked. This evening, I finally got around to watching it. Call me disappointed. The opening thirty minutes or so I enjoyed a lot and I found Daniel Craig to be very good. As the story started to get going though, it became more and more disjointed, and at times, boring. Harrison Ford appeared disinterested and Olivia Wilde was rather mediocre, both making me not care for their characters. The dialogue is quite hammy throughout and sometimes didn't flow very well, but I must admit that at least the special effects were very good. Whilst the blu-ray includes exceptional picture and audio quality, the film isn't worth your time. Perhaps I'll pick it up eventually as a cheap reference disc and give it another chance, but for now, I'll say skip it. 2/5
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:58:36 AM by samuelrichardscott »

Najemikon

« Reply #408 on: February 24, 2012, 12:34:38 AM »
This has to be one of the biggest failures for a while. I don't mean in cash, as it probably did fairly well, but I read a lot of good stuff about it and liked the trailer, but it just disappeared in a cloud of awful reviews. General opinion matches yours, Sam. 44% on Rotten Tomatoes!

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #409 on: February 24, 2012, 01:57:22 AM »
I don't mean in cash, as it probably did fairly well

Not as well as I had thought myself tbh. $174m gross from a $163m budget. Of course, the budget apparently includes marketing and they will be able to add sales over years and years and licensing etc, but it barely got by at the boxoffice.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=cowboysandaliens.htm

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #410 on: February 24, 2012, 02:09:40 AM »

Colombiana (2011) Region B United Kingdom

Overview:
1992. Colombia. Nine-year-old Cataleya witnesses her parents’ murder. Barely escaping the massacre herself, she takes refuge in the United States with Emilio, her gangster uncle… Fifteen years later, Cataleya works for him as a hit woman. Her calling card--an orchid drawn on the chests of her victims--is a message to her parents’ assassins. For Cataleya is determined to see her vengeance through to the bitter end… even if it means losing everything she loves.

My Thoughts:
I'm a massive fan of Luc Besson. I love his style, I love his action sequences and I love the energy his movies have. In fact, I'm a big enough fan that I will watch anything with his name to it. Besson wrote and produced Colombiana and Olivier Megaton directed and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised after reading mixed reviews. It has a lot of similarities to both Besson's Leon: The Professional and La Femme Nikita but still stands on its own two feet. Whilst Zoe Saldana is very good as the assassin, Cataleya, out to get revenge, the real praise has to go the actress who played Cataleya aged 10, Amandla Stenberg, who is fantastic in her first ever role. There are plenty of fast, frenetic, well shot action scenes like you would expect and the story is better than average for the genre. Of course you'll have to leave your brain at the door because a lot of the scenes really suspend belief but if you like Besson, this is recommended. 4/5
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:17:12 AM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 24, 2012, 05:04:57 AM »
but if you like Besson, this is recommended. 4/5
I like Besson a lot, especially his older stuff (Nikita and Professional as well as Subway, The Last Battle, The Big Blue), so I might have to rethink my decision to skip this :hmmmm:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #412 on: February 25, 2012, 03:17:06 AM »
so I might have to rethink my decision to skip this :hmmmm:

IMO, Leon and Nikita have a lot more substance, whilst Colombiana is a whole lot of style over substance. I do prefer Leon and Nikita, but this is still very entertaining.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #413 on: February 25, 2012, 03:32:28 AM »

Pride and Glory (2008) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Four cops down: two dead, two likely. An NYPD drug bust has gone horribly wrong, and Detective Ray Tierney head the investigating task force. He already has ties to the case. His brother was commander of the ambushed officers. His borther-in-law, a fellow officer, often partnered with them. The more Ray uncovers, the more those family ties are tested. And the more the fraternal order starts to fray.
Edward Norton, Colin Farrell, Jon Voight and Noah Emmerich star in a gritty, tension-packed tale of a multigenerational family of cops facing hard realities and tough choices. Set and filmes in Manhattan's Washington Heights, Pride and Glory draws you into a grippingly raw real world... and into a house divided.

My Thoughts:
I'm a fan of cop movies / TV shows, especially ones obout police officers who are involved with backhanders and crime. In fact, my favourite TV show of all time is The Shield. When I read the synopsis for Pride and Glory, saw the rather decent 6.7 rating on imdb and looked at the cast, I had to give this one a try. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed. Although the movie was enjoyable enough as a whole, it did suffer from pacing issues and could have done with having thirty minutes or so cut out. Dialogue was sometimes a little overbearing for the situation but was otherwise adequate and the soundtrack was selected safely. A good cast has been assembled including the likes of Ed Norton, Colin Farrell, Noah Emmerich and Jon Voight, all of whom put in average performances but are capable of better. Overall, Pride and Glory is a good film about police officers making the wrong decisions and using their jobs as a way of committing crimes they are being hired to stop, but it's nothing we haven't seen done better many times before. Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #414 on: February 25, 2012, 08:41:57 PM »

Hero (2002) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Quentin Tarantino presents HERO — starring Jet Li (Cradle 2 The Grave, Romeo Must Die) in a visually stunning martial arts epic where a fearless warrior rises up to defy an empire and unite a nation. With supernatural skill and no fear a nameless soldier (Jet Li) embarks on a mission of revenge against the fearsome army that massacred his people. To achieve the justice he seeks, he must take on the most ruthless assassins and reach the enemy he has sworn to defeat. Acclaimed by critics and honoured with numerous international film awards, this motion picture was nominated for both an Oscar® and Golden Globe as Best Foreign Language Film (2002).

My Thoughts:
Hero garnered a lot of critical and general movie goer praise when it was released in 2002, not far behind the also well received Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Between them, I think they helped introduce Asian cinema to a much wider Western audience and it isn't difficult to see why. The story, whilst relatively simple, has a strong message (sometimes ruthlessness is required to for peace) but that almost takes a backseat to the fantastic cinematography and the truly astonishing swordplay action. The cast is practically a who's who of Eastern cinema and includes Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Tony Leung, Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi in extraordinary roles. Hero is a great film, the only thing letting it down slightly is how it sometimes abruptly moves from one segment of the story to the next despite the dialogue between Nameless and King of Qin. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #415 on: February 26, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »

A Knight's Tale (2001) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
The 14th century takes on a new look in A KNIGHT'S TALE, an exciting, action-packed comedic adventure starring Heath Ledger (The Patriot, 10 Things I Hate About You) with hilarious performances from Mark Addy (The Full Monty), Paul Bettany (Gangster No. 1), Alan Tudyk (28 Days) and introducing sensational newcomer Shannyn Sossamon.
Heath Ledger is William Thatcher, a peasant squire who breaks all the rules when he passes himself off as a knight and takes the jousting world by storm. The only thing that stands between William and his dream of becoming the world champion is the bad boy of the sport, Count Adhemar (Rufus Sewell - Bless This Child, Dangerous Beauty).
Packed with action, comedy, romance and treachery and with a sensational soundtrack including music from Robbie Williams and Queen, this action packed comedic adventure of medieval gallantry and contest is guaranteed to rock you on a DVD loaded with special features.

My Thoughts:
My first viewing of A Knight's Tale was at the cinema on initial release and I had gone into expecting an action film about jousting. When I left the cinema that day I thought, "That wasn't what I expected, but boy was it a hell of a lot of fun". Instead of being a serious film, it had actually mixed comedy and some modern day pop culture (the music, mexican waves, Nike signature on the armour) but it managed to avoid ruining the free-flowing nature of the film by not putting in little references and jokes to excess. Heath Ledger, Shannyn Sossamon, Mark Addy, Paul Bettany, Laura Fraser, Alan Tudyk and James Purefoy make up the great casting choices but it is Rufus Sewell as the bad guy Adhemar who manages to impress the most. This is one of my biggest guilty pleasures and a film I have now seen in excess of ten times and I still do not get bored of it. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #416 on: February 27, 2012, 12:26:03 AM »

Life as We Know It (2010) Region Free United Kingdom

Overview:
Holly and Eric were set up on a blind date by their friends, Peter and Allison who are married. After Peter and Allison are killed in an accident, they learn that they have been named as the guardians to Peter and Allison's daughter, Sophie. So they move into their house and try their best to honor their friends' wishes. But raising a child puts a crimp on their style and they don't exactly get along.

My Thoughts:
Although Heigl's movies haven't got a particularly great reputation, I have been a fan of hers since the television show Roswell and believe her best movie to date is the very funny Knocked Up. She's kind of been flowing through a lot of rom-coms of late though and Life as We Know It is a rom-com with a large drama element also starring Josh Duhamel. Heigl and Duhamel's characters do not get along but they are the godparents of Sophie. When Sophie's parents (Heigl and Duhamel's best friends) die, they are petrified to learn that they have been noted as the legal guardians in the will and must overcome their dislike for each other in order to raise Sophie. For the most, it is your typical rom-com and you should be able to guess the entire outcome just from the previous sentence but I have to admit, there is also quite a bit to enjoy here. The dramatic elements of the story are well utilised and there are some rather funny parts throughout. If you enjoy the genre, I recommend it. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #417 on: February 27, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »

Hell Ride (2008) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
From Executive Producer Quentin Tarantino (Grindhouse Presents: Death Proof) and Writer/Director Larry Bishop (Mad Dog Time) comes this lean, mean mayhem machine – fully loaded with bikers, babes and booze. Michael Madsen (Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2), Eric Balfour (TV's 24) and legendary "Easy Rider" Dennis Hopper are part of a wild motorcycle gang bent on avenging the death of one of their own. With Vinnie Jones (The Condemned) as the crazed arrow-wielding rival gangleader, Hell Ride is savagely enjoyable good time where the women are hot, the bikes are even hotter and the action never stops!

My Thoughts:
Executively produced by Tarantino, his style is evident in Larry Bishop's direction and Scott Kevan's cinematography. Like many of Tarantino's movies, there are a lot of homages here, with this one looking at the old biker gang b-movies of the fifties. Unfortunately, where Tarantino fills his movies with free-flowing fantastic dialogue, Bishop's writing is rather poor. There are several plot holes, dialogue just doesn't suit the moment and the majority of the cast are quite bad. Bishop plays the lead character Pistolero so laughably bad it becomes enjoyable, Eric Balfour is embarassing and Vinnie Jones' yank accent is one of the worst I have ever heard. Thankfully Dennis Hopper, Michael Madsen, Julia Jones and David Carradine are much better and seem more suited to this type of movie. Yet despite the poor script and scrappy acting, there are some really nice shots, a couple of nice little nods and plenty of females on show to make it worth a low-end rental. A generous 2.5/5.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:19:33 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #418 on: February 29, 2012, 12:15:18 AM »

Sacred Planet (2004) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Journey around the world and experience some of the most exotic and beautiful places still in existence! State-of-the-art technology delivers stunning images of indigenous people, unique animals and spectacular landscapes that most of us will never see. Set to a distinctive synthesis of contemporary acoustic and world music, it's an astonishing visual emotion. Let this astonishing showcase be your gateway to the magic, mysteries and beauty of the place everyone calls home!

My Thoughts:
Sacred Planet is a Disney made documentary aimed at family audiences, filmed specifically with IMAX in mind. It's narrated very well by Robert Redford and it has some absolutely stunning shots that look really good on a 50" TV, so I'm sure the cinematography really shone on a huge IMAX screen. However, Sacred Planet does have a couple of downfalls. It is sometimes a little on the preachy side, banging on about the spirits of nature and being at one with the Earth. It also fails to go into enough depth to really grip you, instead staying basic enough for young children. They may be the intended audience, but many children can be kept entertained by the footage with the narration being more valuable for adults. It's still worth a watch though, especially for some of the scenic sections. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #419 on: March 01, 2012, 03:35:03 PM »

G-Force (2009) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Buckle up for thrilling edge-of-your seat action and laugh-out-loud fun in Disney's family comedy adventure G-Force. Just as the G-Force – an elite team of highly trained guinea pigs – is about to save the world, the F.B.I. shuts the secret unit down. But these next-generation action heroes – Darwin, loyal team leader; Blaster, weapons expert with attitude to spare; Juarez, drop-dead gorgeous martial arts diva; and tag-along Hurley – won't be stopped. Armed with the latest in high-tech spy equipment, and with the F.B.I. on their tails, the fur flies as they race against the clock to save the world. From the producer of the Pirates Of The Caribbean trilogy and National Treasure, and filled with high-octane action, daredevil stunts, cutting-edge special effects and outrageous comedy. G-Force is fantastic fun for the whole family.

My Thoughts:
I rented this release on Blu-ray when it first came out and I gave it a 2/5 and didn't think it was worth watching. I recently picked up the DVD for pennies, and because I've been buying a lot of Disney movies lately, I decided to give it another chance. On second viewing, I still didn't find it to be very good, but I did seem to get a little more enjoyment out of it this time around. Despite a rather good cast, they are wasted, and the special effects, whilst good, are not up to today's standards for this sort of budget and genre. The story is ok, but there isn't a lot of depth to it and although I'm sure kids will love it, it won't be one that adults love also. Low end rental. 2.5/5