Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224637 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #375 on: February 15, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »

Red Light Revolution (2010) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Unemployed Beijinger, Shunzi (played by Zhao Jun), fresh from being fired from his cab company and still wounded by news of his wife running away for another man, decides to risk it all and follow his friend, and opens a sex store, much to the disappointment of his parents. At first battling with blow up dolls, and getting to grips with some of the vibrating merchandise, he soon realises that not only has he become a victim of a high pressured sales operation (with a gangster like supplier), but his neighbourhood is very conservative and inhabited by an ageing population. Slowly though, he starts to win them over and unites the community, but will he convert enough of them to customers to pay off the gangsters? A humorous clash of the Chinese traditional etiquette with modern sexual values.

My Thoughts:
I definately had no idea what to expect going into Red Light Revolution, a Chinese sex shop comedy directed by Greek-Australian Sam Voutas. Seemingly Beijing only had one sex shop in 1996 and now it has over 2000. Not only that but China is home to the world's biggest sex expo whilst it manufactures 70% of the world's sex toys. This movie could easily have decided to look at the dark and seedy route a lot of films tend to go when it comes to sex shops but instead it looks at poking fun at the now more capitalist ways of China rather than the communist ways whilst clashing the two together at the appropriate moments. Zhao Jun and Vivid Wang are excellent in their main roles, showing brilliant comic timing and I hope to see more from the pair of them. The comedy is appropriate to the situations and Voutas didn't just go for the cheap laughs. I can't say this is like anything I have ever seen, so although it could be more polished, I certainly have to give it a recommendation. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:29:42 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #376 on: February 16, 2012, 02:32:01 AM »

She's Out of My League (2010) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
In this outrageous comedy, Kirk (Jay Baruchel, Knocked Up, Tropic Thunder), an average guy, can't believe his luck when the successful and gorgeous babe Molly (Alice Eve, Sex and the City 2) falls for him. His smart-ass friends, his crazy family, and even his obnoxious ex-girlfriend are just as shocked as he is. Now, see what the critics are calling ''five stars''** as Kirk goes to great lengths – including some hardcore man-scaping – to make the relationship work and prove that she's not out of his league.

My Thoughts:
She's Out of My League is essentially a rom-com aimed more at a male audience than your Sex and the City crowd and to do that, it does its best to avoid a conventional route. Of course, with this being your typical "boy girl fall in love against the odds" movie, it is impossible to avoid some of the usual scenes that fill this genre. Thankfully however, the cast, which includes Jay Baruchel, Alice Eve and Krysten Ritter, are well suited for their roles and there is a good mix of characters with Nate Torrance's Devon of particular note. Dialogue is funny throughout, if nothing new, and their are some funny situations, the best of which revolving around a case of premature ejaculaton. If you like these sorts of comedies, you can do a lot worse than She's Out of My League, which, although nothing fresh, is funny enough to keep you entertained throughout. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #377 on: February 16, 2012, 01:48:25 PM »

The Final Destination (2009) Skyplayer

Overview:
After a young man's premonition of a deadly race-car crash helps saves the lives of his peers, Death sets out to collect those who evaded their end.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed the first three movies in the Final Destination series (mini-reviews of all 3 earlier in this thread) because of their inventive death scenes surrounding an interesting storyline and better-than-average-for-a-teen-Hollywood-horror dialogue. The fourth film, wittingly titled The Final Destination by some idiotic Hollywood worker who has obviously never catalogued titles at home in alphabetical order, is unfortunately not as good as the rest of the series. The opening accident is actually quite good and there is a rather cool death by tyre, but after that, the imaginitive deaths I have come to love have been replaced by death scenes which, although a little different, pail in comparison. The main cast are nowhere near as interesting as the Clear's or Wendy's of previous installmants and I just found it got old a little fast. It's still enjoyable enough for a viewing, and fans of the series should get some enjoyment out of it, but it's overall disappointing and a low-end rental. 2.5/5
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:04:49 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #378 on: February 16, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »

Melancholia (2011) Region B United Kingdom

Overview:
Justine (Kirsten Dunst) and Michael (Alexander Skarsgård) are celebrating their marriage at a sumptuous party in the home of her sister (Charlotte Gainsbourg) and brother-in-law (Kiefer Sutherland). Meanwhile, the planet, Melancholia, is heading towards Earth... MELANCHOLIA is a psychological disaster movie from director Lars von Trier.

My Thoughts:
Lars von Trier is a director that people love or hate. Personally, I have enjoyed everything I have seen from him up till now so I went into this one with quite high expectations... and boy were they met. This is probably the best I have seen Kirsten Dunst, even beating her performances in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Virgin Suicides considerably, and Charlotte Gainsbourg, Kiefer Sutherland, Udo Kier, Stellan Skarsgard, Charlotte Rampling and John Hurt are all equally as impressive. The way the story unfolds is very well thought out and shot, and Trier does excellent at building up the tension through character development and dialogue. The music selected, especially for the ending, is perfect and also helps add to the fear/tension of the characters. Highly recommended. 4.5/5
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:14:49 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #379 on: February 16, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »

Final Destination 5 (2011) Region Free United Kingdom

Overview:
In Final Destination 5, Death is just as omnipresent as ever, and is unleashed after one man’s premonition saves a group of coworkers from a terrifying suspension bridge collapse. But this group of unsuspecting souls was never supposed to survive, and, in a terrifying race against time, the ill-fated group frantically tries to discover a way to escape Death’s sinister agenda.

My Thoughts:
I was a little skeptical going into the fifth film of the Final Destination franchise after the fourth kind of lost what made the first three so enjoyable. I'm happy to say that FD5 is a return to form with inventive deaths that you still can't guess, despite prolonged build-ups and some nice narrative touches to link the film back to previous entries. The cast is quite mediocre throughout, though David Koechner is certainly a welcome addition to the cast and Tony Todd is brilliant in his minor role as the coroner. If you're a fan of the series, you'll enjoy this one. Roll on Final Destination 6! 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #380 on: February 16, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »

Sinbad and the Minotaur (2011) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
In this epic re-imagining of Greek and Arabic myths, legendary voyager Sinbad (Manu Bennett, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, The Condemned) and his heart crew of adventurers seek a long lost treasure. Pursued by the evil sorcerer Al-Jibar, the trail leads him to a mysterious island and the underground lair of the fearsome Minotaur.
Sinbad and his warriors will only survive if they can defeat the monstrous beast and outrun Al-Jobar's murderous henchmen.

My Thoughts:
Karl Zwicky has been a successful television show director in Australia for over twenty years, with such programs as Neighbours, Home and Away, Heartbreak High and MacLeaod's Daughters in his resume. Sinbad and the Minotaur is his first movie (though it was made for TV) and, unfortunately, isn't very good. It stars Manu Bennett from Spartacus: Blood and Sand as the legendary character of Sinbad and he just hasn't got the charisma required to pull the character off, with his dialogue coming off worse than it is written. Special effects, considering it is a low budget TV movie are not too bad and the minotaur looks better than expected, but the set design is poor. If you liked the TV show Hercules: The Legendary Journey's you might enjoy this as a low-end rental, but where Hercules was cheesy fun, this is just cheesy so my recommendation is to skip it. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #381 on: February 17, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »

Dellamorte Dellamore (1994) Region 0 United Kingdom

AKA The Cemetery Man

Overview:
A dark horror fantasy film, Rupert Everett is called Dellamorte Dellamore, a cemetery care taker who is faced with an epidemic of zombies rising from their graves. Dellamorte goes on an insane killing spree to prevent the living dead from contaminating the rest of the world... his journey of surreal experiences will culminate with increasingly bizarre sexual encounters with Italian sex symbol Anna Falchi, a recent widow...

My Thoughts:
I've heard quite a lot over the years about Michele Soavi's Dellamorte Dellamore but never really had the chance to check it out. It stars Rupert Everett as a cemetery caretaker at a graveyard where the dead rise from the grave within seven days of burial and he must finish them off, usually with a shot to the head. The film is full of dark comedy and it uses it very well, especially with the simple character Gnaghi (François Hadji-Lazaro). Another character of interest is 'She' played by the beautifully mesmerising Finnish actress Anna Falchi. Special effects are extremely good throughout and it is just another film that shows the viewer that for horror, non-CGI effects are far more impressive. My favourite scenes include the killing of the nun and the motorbike crash, both highlighting the skills of the effects team. If you're a zombie fan, this is an essential purchase. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #382 on: February 17, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »

Caprice (1967) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Screen idol Doris Day tackles industrial espionage alongside Richard Harris in Caprice, the hilarious comedy caper directed by Frank Tashlin.
Doris Day plays Patricia Fowler, a spy hired to work undercover at a cosmetics company to discover a new formula that the firm is planning to market. But it soon transpires make up is not the only product they're selling, the company is involved in an international drug-smuggling ring and Patricia finds herself doing battle with ruthless agents. Joining forces with fellow spy Christopher White the pair take on evil genius Stuart Clancy.
This classic 1960s spy spoof keeps up the laughs and suspense right to the very end.

My Thoughts:
Caprice is a film known for a couple of reasons. It was the last film for which Fox used Cinemascope and it's a film that co-star Richard Harris refused to ever watch. It is most notorious for Doris Day fans however, because after reading the script Day told her husband that she was thankful she doesn't have to make movies like this anymore. Her husband though, who was also her manager aswell as her power of attorney, had to tell her she had already been signed up. Despite the lack of love for the film from the main stars, it isn't that bad but I can see why they hate it. Although the comedy elements failed to make me laugh, I did get some enjoyment from the rather silly storyline, but the storyline is so silly, it works against the cheesy elements at times. There are a lot of missed opportunities for making fun of spy movies, especially for a time where the Bond films were starting to make their mark on cinema screens, and none of the cast seem particularly interested. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to dislike the movie. Scenes are generally well shot, it is quite well edited and the music was well selected. It's worth a very low end rental. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #383 on: February 18, 2012, 02:02:37 AM »

Adrift in Tokyo (2007) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Leading a lazy life, Fumiya has been a university student for 8 years and owes money to loan sharks. One day, a man named Fukuhara comes to collect the loan, which Fumiya cannot pay. So Fukuhara makes a proposition: He will cancel the debt as long as Fumiya agrees to walk with him across Tokyo to the police station of Kasumigaseki, where he intends to turn himself in for a crime he deeply regrets. Not having much choice, Fumiya accepts the deal. Thus begins their journey which will lead them to various unusual encounters, most of all with themselves. Based on the original novel by Naoki Prize winner Yoshinaga Fujita comes a fascinating, humorous and wildly clever film that is sure to charm you.

My Thoughts:
When I first read the synopsis to Adrift in Tokyo I have to admit that I didn't think the proposition would take place until the final act, but it actually kicks off surprisingly early. The main characters of Fumiya and Fukuhara are portrayed very well by Jô Odagiri and Tomokazu Miura and the two characters go very well together, despite being very different, thanks to some well written dialogue. The supporting characters are a bit of a mixed bag and there were a couple I could've done without but Fumiya and Fukugara develop well enough anyway and as the film progresses you see them form a bond through these crazy meetings and their talking. If you don't need explosions to find a film interesting, this is certainly worth checking out although there was a small lull in the middle. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #384 on: February 19, 2012, 03:12:37 AM »

Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie (2009) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
The most magical event of the year is now even bigger with more thrilling adventure! Wizards of Waverly Place The Movie Extended Edition features exclusive footage, behind-the-scenes bonus and awesome extras that take you deeper into the mysterious world of wizardry!
Embark on a supernaturally exciting adventure as the Russos, your favourite family of wizards-in-training, join together on a quest full of heart-stopping action and hilarious magical mishaps! While on holiday, Alex (Selena Gomez) accidentally casts a spell that threatens her family's existence! Max (Jake T. Austin) tries to keep his parents together while Alex and Justin (David Henrie) use every trick they know as they search for the "Stone of Dreams" to reverse the spell and save their family. You won't want to miss one extraordinary moment of this extended, magic-filled and action-packed movie!

My Thoughts:
I'm unfamiliar with the Disney Channel television series Wizards of Waverly Place (2007-present) and picked up this movie cheap whilst placing an order for some catalogue Disney titles. Of course, being a Disney original movie, my expectations were not massively high, especially as Disney are more recognised for their animation than their live action franchises. It follows a family of wizards as they go on holiday, when Alex (played by the lass all 12-year old girls want to kill, Selena Gomez) casts a spell that makes their parents forget about their existence and each other. Anyway, they have to get them back together by reversing the spell or they too, will disappear. The acting is standard for this sort of Disney fare, as is the story, and whilst it won't win any awards for originality, it was more enjoyable than I had anticipated. I'm sure those who love the series, will love this film. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #385 on: February 19, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »

The Incredible Journey (1963) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Three lonesome animals in search of home take on 200 miles of rugged wilderness in this truly incredible journey. Traverse the majestic Canadian countryside with this unlikely trio of devoted travelling companions: Bodger, a bull-terrier; Tao, a Siamese cat; and Luath, a Labrador retriever. Filmed against magnificent, colourful panoramas, this inspiring Disney animal adventure classic will lift your heart and spirit to a joyous new level.

My Thoughts:
Quite recently I watched the nineties remake of The Incredible Journey, Homeward Bound and enjoyed it just like I did when I was ten. Jon told me to check out the 'superior' original, so here I am. The main difference between The Incredible Journey and Homeward Bound is that in The Incredible Journey, the animals do not actually speak to each other, and the film relies on the actions of the pets along with the narration. The narration is very well done and the pace of the film is perfect (not even eighty minutes long though) and I have to say that the lack of dialogue between the animals was a good thing as it meant the film benefited from good old-fashioned storytelling. I still recommend Homeward Bound, but I have to say my preference is certainly the original. Recommended. 4/5

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #386 on: February 19, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »
I had no idea that the 90's versions were remakes! I love Homeward Bound and the sequel was ok too but I shall now have to look for the original!

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #387 on: February 19, 2012, 07:26:11 PM »
I had no idea that the 90's versions were remakes! I love Homeward Bound and the sequel was ok too but I shall now have to look for the original!

I believe it is only available via The Disney Club in the US and Canada. It's released regularly in Europe though if you are multi-region.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:48:44 PM by samuelrichardscott »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #388 on: February 19, 2012, 07:42:32 PM »
I've been in and out of the Canadian arm of The Disney Club (currently out) but I'll have to see if it is in their library of offered titles.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #389 on: February 19, 2012, 11:16:04 PM »

Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco (1995)

Overview:
Everyone's favourite trio of talking pets returns for an all-new action-packed adventure from Disney! First it was a journey through miles of mountainous terrain, but now feisty bulldog Chance, pampered cat Sassy and loveable golden retriever Shadow are lost in the bustling city of San Francisco! With a whole new pack of pooches at their side and fun and excitement at every turn, the resourceful threesome plot a course across the Golden Gate Bridge and home to their beloved family. With Hollywood stars Michael J. Fox, Sally Field and Ralph Waite lending their voices to Disney's most famous pets, your whole family will delight in the daring adventure...and comical chaos... of HOMEWARD BOUND II.

My Thoughts:
If you've seen either The Incredible Journey (1963) or Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993) you'll know what to expect here, although this time instead of thinking they have been left at home, the animals are being taken on holiday with their owners to Canada, but believe the crates they are in for the airplane are to send them elsewhere. They escape, and attempt to head back home by finding the Golden Gate Bridge. This is the worst of the three movies, but it still has that Disney charm. The situations are the opposite this time because the animals must be aware of the city surroundings rather than the countryside but it's quite obvious that the end result is the same. This is worth picking up if you enjoyed the other movies. 3/5