Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224943 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #360 on: February 10, 2012, 09:08:24 PM »

Miracle on 34th Street (1994) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
In this new holiday "miracle" based on the famous 1947 film classic, a little girl discovers dreams can come true if you really believe. Six-year-old Susan Walker has doubts about childhood's most enduring miracle - Santa Claus. Her mother told her the "secret" about Santa a long time ago, so Susan doesn't expect to receive the most important gifts on her Christmas list. But after meeting a special department store Santa who's convinced he's the real thing, Susan is given the most precious gift of all - something to believe in.
Starring Richard Attenborough, Elizabeth Perkins, Dylan McDermott and Mara Wilson as Susan. This uplifting and joyous film will make believers out of the entire family.

My Thoughts:
What, with Christmas a meer eleven months away I decided it was time for a little Christmas cheer, so I stuck the 1994 version of Miracle on 34th Street into my DVD player. Having seen the movie several times over the years, I knew exactly what I was getting and it has to be said that Mara Wilson is excellent as the young Susan, who has her doubts about the big fat man himself. The best performance here is easily Richard Attenborough as Santa though as not only does he look the part, but he has the screen prescence required to play the part. I still need to check out the original, but this is recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #361 on: February 10, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »

Hot Tub Time Machine (2010) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Get ready to kick some serious past with the wildly inappropriate Hot Tub Time Machine. The outrageous laughs bubble up when four friends share a crazy night of drinking in a ski resort hot tub, only to wake up with serious hangovers in 1986! Now, nice-guy Adam (John Cusack), party animal Lou (Rob Corddry), married man Nick (Craig Robinson) and mega-nerd Jacob (Clark Duke) relive a wild night of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll! This edition alse contains a Digital Copy of the film, now you can watch HOT TUB TIME MACHINE when you want, where you want!

My Thoughts:
John Cusack has long been a favourite actor of mine and I really didn't ever expect him to make a comedy that was anything like Hot Tub Time Machine. Here is joined by Rob Corddry, Craig Robinson and Clark Duke as they go back in time in a hot tub. Chevy Chase cameos as the hot tub repair man and has some quite funny scenes but Crispin Glover steals the show for me as the hotel porter who Corddry is just waiting for to lose his arm. The story is nothing special but it is a lot of fun, and despite a slow section in the middle the laughs come often. Favourite parts for me include the scene between Corddry/Robinson in the bathroom after losing their bet, Robinson singing the Black Eyed Peas and the scene where the gang go to get the Chernobyl drink back from the ski lodge. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #362 on: February 10, 2012, 09:24:44 PM »

Border Blues (2004) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Moscow police detective Andrei Somov resigns and emigrates from Russia, but has to accept a menial job in a restaurant while his adolescent son and pregnant daughter-in-law are denied exit visa's. 'Andy' does however get to know some LAPD cops after volunteering his expertise and Russian language skills and is sent to Tijuana to fetch cheap tiles. On that Mexican journey Somov bumps into coyote Larry, another ethnic Russian but US citizen, who lost his daughter years ago and now helps illegal families enter the States. His present client, arrogant Russian Lena, haughtily presumes to know everything better but is always wrong, yet he takes pity on her daughter. Meanwhile the LAPD takes medium Michael March seriously about a mad bomber who targets pharmaceutical companies and got a bad feeling with and envelop held by Larry. It all ties in.

My Thoughts:
I bought this because I am a closet Eric Roberts fan and although he is an integral part of the story here and features plenty, there is little action and the film in general is a complete incoherant mess. The story is full of holes and seems hastily rewritten during filming, I would say Gary Busey is underused but his character is a waste of time, the effects of the bomb at the start look as though they were made by a five year old (I've seen better on homemade youtube videos) and the acting is incredibly poor all round. Seemingly, this had a $10million budget but god knows what they spent on? Perhaps Roberts/Busey made big money for their appearance and the other $9million went on a hell of a wrap party? Easily the worst film I have seen in 2012 so far. Skip it. 1/5

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 10, 2012, 09:32:03 PM »
Erik Estrada is in this too, so maybe the money goes to him :whistle:

Of course that would be more realist in we were stuck in 1980 :laugh:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #364 on: February 10, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »

Best Men (1997) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
It's a special day for Jesse Chandler in more ways than one. Not only is it the day he gets out of jail after three long, hard years but it is also the day he gets married to his long suffering girlfriend, Hope. When his three best buddies meet him at the prison gates all dressed up in their dinner suits and bow ties, Jesse knows life can still be sweet, that is until Billy decides to rob the town bank because he needs a little cash. Spectacular stunts, great action, sparkling dialogue, and some unexpected twists plus Superman Dean Cain in his first motion picture and Drew Barrymore hot from The Wedding Singer all make Best Men one of the action comedies of the year.

My Thoughts:
I wasn't sure what quite to expect with this one, buying it purely on the basis of it co-starring Drew Barrymore and Luke Wilson. It actually follows a group of friends who get caught up in robbing a bank on the day of Wilson's wedding to Barrymore. Also starring Dean Cain, Andy Dick, Sean Patrick Flanery and Brad Dourif the cast is a rather mixed bag. Nobody puts in particularly great performances but Cain is the best of the bunch with Andy Dick being the worst and definately miscast. The plot is enjoyable enough, if formulaic and the comedy takes a backseat to the action in a good way. This isn't anything new but is worth a look for fans of the cast. Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #365 on: February 10, 2012, 09:37:19 PM »

True, he's in a couple of scenes and is underused, but he is absolutely dreadful. The whole thing stinks like a bunch of has-beens being it in for the pay cheque having not read the script. Quite sad really. :(

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 10, 2012, 09:41:17 PM »
What would be cool is if the movie would have a temporary freeze frame at the end ;D

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #367 on: February 10, 2012, 09:44:43 PM »

Bulworth (1998) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Cast your vote for scandalous fun with this liberating laugh-fest that CNN called "utterly brilliant and totally entertaining... one of the best films in years!"
Believing his career is over, Senator Jay Bulworth (Warren Beatty) takes out an enormous insurance policy and a contract on his own life. But his impending death fills him with an outrageous desire to break the rules and tell it like it is. Suddently the Senator is the suprise political favourite and falls hopelessly in love with Nina (Halle Berry), a beautiful, young activist from the inner city. Now that Bulworth has found a new reason to live, he must also find the hit man who's out to kill him!

My Thoughts:
I'd read quite a bit about this movie over the years and finally jumped on the chance to pick up a cheap copy and give it a watch. If I'd have known just how funny this was I would have picked it up years ago. Warren Beatty directs and stars as Senator Bulworth who signs himself up to a $10m life insurance policy and then gets a hitman to kill him. Before he is killed he decides at a church meeting in a predominantly poor black area that he will tell it like it is and that the politicians don't care about them. He suddenly finds himself gaining popularity and he starts rapping about everything and even takes drugs at a club whilst trying to cancel the impending hit. Halle Berry is very good as Nina, who helps him on his campaign but is also being paid to kill him, unbeknown to him. Bulworth is a funny political film that actually brings up some valid political points and is definately coming recommended from me. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #368 on: February 10, 2012, 09:53:57 PM »

Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein (1999) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
When the world's favourite mischief-makers meet the world's most famous monster, it's love at first fright! Join Alvin, Simon and Theodore in a song-filled animated adventure that's so much fun, it's scary!
Whilst working as featured performers on a movie studio tour, Alvin and his brothers can't resist exploring the park's star attraction Frankenstein's Castle, which has been taken over by what appears to be the real Dr. Frankenstein and his beloved Monster. Soon, the Chipmunks and the Monster collide into a wild and wacky laugh fest you'll want to watch over and over again!

My Thoughts:
The Chipmunks are working at a movie studio and go to visit the star attraction to find that Dr. Frankenstein, hired by the park to bring up visitor numbers, has actually created a real monster. The monster takes a toy back to the Chipmunks house and they realise the monster isn't as scary as he looks. The animation is of reasonable quality though there is a slow motion scene that looks horrible, and the story is quite basic, even for a kids movie. Still, it is reasonably funny in parts and is worth a look for Chipmunks fans. low end rent it with a generous 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #369 on: February 10, 2012, 10:14:09 PM »

Motherhood (2009) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
In this hilarious comedy, Thurman plays Eliza, a writer-turned-mom-blogger who has put her own ambitions on hold to raise her two children. Eliza lives and works in New York with her good-natured but absent-minded husband (Anthony Edwards) who seems tuned out to his wife’s problems, not to mention basic reality of being a mum! Luckily for Eliza she has her best friend, and mum to be, Sheila (Minnie Driver) who understands Eliza all too well.
Taking place in a single crazy day that starts at dawn, her to-do list is daunting: prepare for and throw her daughter’s 6th birthday party, mind her toddler son, battle for a parking space, navigate playground politics with overbearing moms, and mend a rift with after posting her best friend’s confession on her blog.
There are definitely no time-outs in motherhood!

My Thoughts:
Motherhood took a blistering £88 in it's opening weekend in the UK, with £9 of that coming on the Sunday (one ticket). This is why the movie was originally brought to my attention after an argument broke out between the producer and the UK distributor Metrodome reported by The Guardian. When I saw it was only a penny plus postage for a new copy on Amazon Marketplace, I just had to see if it was as bad as it seemed. The film stars Uma Thurman as a struggling mother who is married to ER's Anthony Edwards. It's supposedly a comedy but apart from a scene between Thurman and some young lad in a store where he berates her for invading his personal space whilst she is on her mobile phone, the movie was devoid of comedy. Unfortunately, it is a bad film and although Thurman and Minnie Driver put in reasonable efforts, you can only be as good as the product. Skip it. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #370 on: February 10, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »
Caught up!  :whistle:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #371 on: February 11, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »

Shallow Hal (2001) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Hal (Jack Black) is a regular guy who, taking his dying father's advice, pursues only young ladies of physical perfection. His life changes when he comes across a self-help guru who hypnotises him into seeing only the inner beauty of women.
With renewed confidence, Hal's luck with the ladies finally changes when he meets the gorgeous Rosemary (Gwyneth Paltrow).
Has he met his dream girl, or is he in for a larger than life experience?

My Thoughts:
Shallow Hal is the only film I've seen so far in which Jack Black can manage to hold a lead role, though here it does help that Gwyneth Paltrow is his immediate co-star. Filled with your typical Farrelly Brothers brand of humour it did make me laugh out loud on several occasions, usually because of Jason Alexander's dialogue who plays Black's best friend Mauricio. The story itself is obvious from the start, shallow guy manages to get past peoples looks and falls in love with a fatty, but the journey there is not only funny, it includes a couple of heartfelt moments, like in the pediatric burns unit where Paltrow's character Rosemary volunteers. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #372 on: February 11, 2012, 02:20:57 PM »

Strange we talked about this yesterday because Gary Busey just filed for bankruptcy. :(

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #373 on: February 12, 2012, 12:34:14 AM »

Attack the Block (2011) Region 2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Bonfire night, South London: Sam (Jodie Whittaker - ST TRINIANS, VENUS) is robbed by a gang of hooded youths. Suddenly a flaming meteor crash-lands close by. Sam makes her escape, but the gang are attacked by a small vicious alien. They kill the ghoulish invader, but their triumph is short lived. More aliens are invading and they're bigger, stronger and out for blood. The gang's only chance of survival is to take refuge within the concrete walls of their housing block. Teaming up with Sam and local drug dealer Ron (Nick Frost - SHAUN OF THE DEAD, HOT FUZZ), they realise it's time to step up and be heroes.
From the producer of SHAUN OF THE DEAD, HOT FUZZ, SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD and PAUL, ATTACK THE BLOCK is the directorial debut of comedian and broadcaster Joe Cornish (THE ADAM AND JOE SHOW). A sci-fi, horror, action, comedy with an old school flavour, it's inner city versus outer space.

My Thoughts:
I've been a fan of Joe Cornish for many years, mainly thanks to him and Adam Buxton's "The Adam and Joe Show" and their toy movies they made for it including Toyspotting and Toytanic. Add the talent of Joe Cornish with Nick Frost and I just had to see this at the cinema, but this is my first viewing of the movie on disc. The kids involved are, to be frank, not very nice kids, mugging Sam (Jodie Whittaker) right at the start. This is to make you dislike the kids from the offset and then Cornish does his best to make you feel sorry for the kids by the end after fighting off aliens. That didn't really work out for me and is the main reason I have marked it down slightly, but the script is still funny at the right times and although the effects are not great (the reason for the other half a point being deducted), they do not take away to much enjoyment from the movie. Personally, I dug this, despite the hype. Can't wait to see what Cornish does next. Recommended. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #374 on: February 15, 2012, 03:08:56 PM »

Reuniting the Rubins (2010) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Lenny Rubins, (Timothy Spall – The King's Speech) an up-tight lawyer, has to put his dream retirement on hold when his ailing mother (Honor Blackman – Goldfinger) emotionally blackmails him into reuniting his estranged children for a Jewish holiday.
They may be peas from the same pod, but in Lenny’s eyes, his grown up children are certainly not from the same planet: a survival-of-the-fittest/control-freak hard-nosed capitalist (James Callis – Battlestar Galactica), an outspoken argumentative eco-warrior committed to the cause (Rhona Mitra – Underworld: Rise of the Lycans) an outer worldly Buddhist Monk; and to cap it all a bible bashing born-again Rabbi!
They might not see eye to, quarrel, fight, and even be starting a war in Africa but they are still family and it is going to take a whole lot of soul searching and sacrifice for all involved to come together in this heart warming, comic, family drama that will have you thinking of your own family with a smile.

My Thoughts:
Reuniting the Rubins is the feature length directorial debut from advertisement director Yoav Factor (Splinter Cell, Operation Flashpoint, Asda) and with him being a BAFTA-nominated director for his short film Good Night I had quite high hopes going into this feature. These hopes were alleviated with the cast involved, including Timothy Spall, Honor Blackman, Rhona Mitra, James Callis and Blake Harrison. Unfortunately, it ultimately failed to deliver what I had hoped. The cast put in ok performances but nobody stands out and although the movie is well shot the dialogue is a little lacklustre and the story moves a little slow. If you want to see a 'messed-up family coming together' film, then I suggest opting for Little Miss Sunshine or the criminally underrated Eulogy. This isn't a rubbish film, it just fails to hit expectations considering the talent involved. Low-end rental. 2.5/5