Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224632 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #345 on: February 06, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »

Kill List (2011) Region B United Kingdom

Overview:
KILL LIST - from the acclaimed Director Ben Wheatley (DOWN TERRACE) starring Neil Maskell, Michael Smiley, Myanna Buring, Emma Fryer.
Eight months after a disastrous job in Kiev left him physically and mentally scarred, ex-soldier turned contract killer, Jay, is pressured by his partner, Gal, into taking a new assignment. As they descend into the dark and disturbing world of the contract, Jay begins to unravel once again – his fear and paranoia sending him deep into the heart of darkness.

My Thoughts:
OK, this is going to be very difficult to even write a short piece about without giving anything away so I won't talk about plot points. Kill List is a film that has received huge critical praise but the general public weren't quite so thrilled. For me, I side with the critics for a change. Kill List is one of the most finely acted and chilling thrillers to come out of the UK in quite some time. The main cast of Neil Maskell, Michael Smiley and MyAnna Buring are absolutely fantastic and the film changes atmospherically so quickly several times smoothly, in good timing with the way the plot unfolds. The ending is a complete mess of the mind, done so well that I have to highly recommend this Ben Wheatley feature. 4.5/5

This was really quite good and I'm pretty sure especially Jon and Achim would enjoy it as well. The juxtaposition of the mundane with the horrible and the quick tonal changes didn't throw me as much as it probably was intended, but I didn't expect it to go so completely off the rails towards the end.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 07, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »
This was really quite good and I'm pretty sure especially Jon and Achim would enjoy it as well.
It is already on my Wish List. Unfortunately the UK release is Region B only, so I am waiting for the US version (which isn't even announced yet). Kermode gave it a glowing review as well.

Najemikon

« Reply #347 on: February 07, 2012, 10:24:07 PM »

Overview:
KILL LIST - from the acclaimed Director Ben Wheatley (DOWN TERRACE) starring Neil Maskell, Michael Smiley, Myanna Buring, Emma Fryer.
Eight months after a disastrous job in Kiev left him physically and mentally scarred, ex-soldier turned contract killer, Jay, is pressured by his partner, Gal, into taking a new assignment. As they descend into the dark and disturbing world of the contract, Jay begins to unravel once again – his fear and paranoia sending him deep into the heart of darkness.

My Thoughts:
OK, this is going to be very difficult to even write a short piece about without giving anything away so I won't talk about plot points. Kill List is a film that has received huge critical praise but the general public weren't quite so thrilled. For me, I side with the critics for a change. Kill List is one of the most finely acted and chilling thrillers to come out of the UK in quite some time. The main cast of Neil Maskell, Michael Smiley and MyAnna Buring are absolutely fantastic and the film changes atmospherically so quickly several times smoothly, in good timing with the way the plot unfolds. The ending is a complete mess of the mind, done so well that I have to highly recommend this Ben Wheatley feature. 4.5/5

This was really quite good and I'm pretty sure especially Jon and Achim would enjoy it as well. The juxtaposition of the mundane with the horrible and the quick tonal changes didn't throw me as much as it probably was intended, but I didn't expect it to go so completely off the rails towards the end.

I have seen it and really liked it. Still haven't made my mind up if I liked the ending though...

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #348 on: February 10, 2012, 02:10:24 PM »

Kidulthood (2006) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
For 15-year-old Trife, life is a day-to-day struggle. Trapped between the worlds of his school friends, the girl he loves, and the draw of his powerful and dangerous uncle, Trife must choose between the path he knows is right and a life of guns, drugs and violence that he has come to know only too well.
But in a world where sex is currency, drugs are easy, and violence is a way of life, trouble can never be too far around the corner. On these streets kids grow up fast... and 48 hours... can be a lifetime.

My Thoughts:
Written by and starring Noel Clarke, Kidulthood received a lot of praise on its release in the UK, both critically and from the general movie-goer. I'd even heard it called "the UK 'Kids'". Well, it is a very good film, well acted and very gritty. Sometimes it does feel as though it is overacted to scare the viewer into thinking what life is like in the inner-London estates, but still, the things portrayed do happen daily so the scenes are welcome. I wouldn't say it is anywhere near as good as 'Kids' and in fact, I find them uncomparable and although some subjects in both are reasonably close, the films are very different. Overall, Kidulthood is a well made British film about inner-city youth that is worth a look though, and Noel Clarke impresses as a writer, despite being known in the UK as an actor. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #349 on: February 10, 2012, 03:26:10 PM »

Shaun of the Dead (2004) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Shaun doesn't have a very good day, so he decides to turn his life around by getting his ex to take him back, but he times it for right in the middle of what may be a zombie apocalypse... But for him, it's an opportunity to show everyone he knows how useful he is by saving them all. All he has to do is survive... And get his ex back.

My Thoughts:
It's not often a British comedy becomes a runaway success, but Shaun of the Dead managed it. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are excellent as the two best friends and they gel so well together it is obvious they are also very close in real life. The timing of the comedy is perfect and there are so many great little nods included that you spot something new on each viewing. My favourite little nod personally is the playing of the mall music from Dawn of the Dead over the end credits. Anyway, for horror fans and for comedy fans, this is essential viewing. Highly recommended. 5/5
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:37:59 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #350 on: February 10, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »

Hot Fuzz (2007) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
When top London cop, PC Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg), is reassigned to the quiet town of Sandford, he struggles with his seemingly crime-free world... and oafish partner Danny (Nick Frost).
When several grisly accidents rock the village, it's not long before Danny's dreams of explosive, high-octane, car-chasing, gunfighting, all-out action become reality!
It's time for these small-town cops to hand out big-city justice!

My Thoughts:
The eagerly awaited second feature film from Wright/Pegg/Frost after 2004's Shaun of the Dead was well worth the wait. Although it was met with critical success and movie-goers flocked to the cinemas, some people didn't find it quite as funny as Shaun of the Dead. Well, theose people are wrong because it is every bit as funny, better written and far more polished. This time they parody many action films/buddy movies but it easily stands out as a fantastic police comedy by itself. Some excellent cameos by the likes of Bill Bailey, Martin Freeman, Cate Blachett and Peter Jackson and of course a well selected supporting cast with Timothy Dalton, Lucy Punch, Jim Broadbent and Paddy Considine make the sharp writing of Hot Fuzz a joy to behold. Highly recommended. 5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #351 on: February 10, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »

Overview:

My Thoughts:

I have seen it and really liked it. Still haven't made my mind up if I liked the ending though...

After I had watched it, I found a great article that pointed out how all the little bits throughout the film are a reference to war (right down to the dead animal being like army rations, in fact IIRC, he does mention it). I can't find the article now for the life of me though. It was a very interesting film though, and one I intend on picking up sooner rather than later. I wish I'd had time for the commentaries tbh.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #352 on: February 10, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »

Nancy Drew (2007) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Nancy Drew moves to Los Angeles and in typical Drew fashion, immediately stumbles upon a mystery concerning a dead movie star and her inheritance. Nancy soon discovers that the rude needling from her new classmates is the least of her worries as she's almost run over by a car and nearly blown up diffusing a bomb. Nancy's luck runs out when the bad guys get the drop on her and put Chloroform over mouth! Nancy is taken by complete surprise and barely has time to fight before the anesthetic hits her nostrils and turns out her lights! They drug Nancy in broad daylight and make her go nighty night! The attack is so effective, so precise, people walk right past the vehicle with no idea there's a young girl inside, fully anesthetized, chloroformed out of her mind! Nancy has no idea what hit her as her abductors drive her to their hideout.

My Thoughts:
Before watching this movie I had of course heard of the character Nancy Drew but had never read/watched the character in anything. I picked up this movie based on the cameo by Bruce Willis and I'm kind of glad I did. It isn't a great film by any means, but Emma Roberts is very good as Nancy Drew and I really liked the way they kept her character very 1950's in style and outlook, from her dialogue, to her car, to her clothes. The story itself is rather formulaic and the supporting cast are generally mediocre. The cameo with Bruce Willis made it worth the cheap purchase for me as the rapore between him playing himself and Nancy Drew at the film set makes for one of the funnier sections of the film. I'm sure Nancy Drew fans and teenage girls will love this film, but generally speaking, it was average and is worth a rental only unless you're a big Willis fan. 3/5
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:01:32 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #353 on: February 10, 2012, 05:11:40 PM »

Derailed (2005) R1 Canada

Overview:
Married man Charles Schine (Clive Owen) meets Lucinda Harris (Jennifer Aniston), a high powered businesswoman, on a commuter train one morning. An innocent conversation leads to an evening drink. Before either one can stop it, their aroused passions lead to a sizzling one-night stand. Suddenly a stranger explodes into their world, threatening to expose their secret, and lures them into a terrifying game with more surprises than they saw coming.

My Thoughts:
When I first looked this up, I was under the impression it would be an Aniston romance feature, though darker than her usual rom-coms she has become known for. However, a friend of mine assured me it is far from your typical Aniston fare so I picked it up cheap. He was right. What we actually have is an above average thriller with plenty of tension. The first half of the film was quite average, paced ok but a little slow to get the story going, but once we get to the second half the pace picks up nicely and the twists and turns, although obvious, change the outlook well. I expected what had happened throughout but the ending did catch me off guard a little and I really enjoyed it. Aniston was above average, but the true star was Clive Owen who is very convincing in his role. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #354 on: February 10, 2012, 06:51:08 PM »

BASEketball (1998) R2 United Kingdom (yes, I know that image is the German one!)

Overview:
From the director of Naked Gun comes a hilarious side-splitting comedy of professional sports. Starring TREY PARKER & MATT STONE (South Park), as two guys who invent a game in their driveway that quickly becomes a national obsession and catapults them into the national spotlight, BASEKETBALL is a hilarious comedy about babes, brews and being number one.
Critics call BASEKETBALL "a comedy that is as smart as it is funny" and "absolutely, rolling in the aisles, hysterical!" Featuring a supporting cast of today's best-known talents, including Yasmine Bleeth, Jenny McCarthy, Robert Vaughn and Ernest Borgnine, as well as celebrity appearances by Reggie Jackson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dale Earnhardt, Al Michaels, Bob Costas, Dan Patrick and Kenny Mayne. BASEKETBALL scores!

My Thoughts:
Although Trey Parker and Matt Stone are best known for the very successful television series South Park, they have also made several movies. Personally I don't like South Park so it really surprised me a few years ago that I enjoyed the movie Orgazmo and since then, I had been meaning to check out BASEketball. Again, I was surprised with what I got. Parker and Stone invent a new sport that becomes a huge success, but with it brings squabbles with regards to what the game means, the money involved and the unscrupulous owners/agents. Yasmine Bleeth and Jenny McCarthy are the totty on offer and both suit their roles well, though nobody in the film gives an outstanding performance. The humour is based mainly on gross-out dialogue but it still made me laugh several times and made this a worthwhile watch. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #355 on: February 10, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »

Gamer (2009) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Gerard Butler (300, RocknRolla) stars as Kable, condemned criminal and globally famous super-soldier in the ultimate multiplayer game, "Slayers." Human controllers direct each thougt and move of real-life prison inmates battling in hyper-intense environments – where the goal is freedom and the penalty is death. But when Kable suddenly decides he wants out, his rebellion threatens the twisted plans of game creator Ken Castle (Michael C. Hall, TV's "Dexter"), who will stop at nothing to crush the renegade commando in this taut, adrenaline-packed action-thriller.

My Thoughts:
Gamer follows an interesting idea of giving criminals a chance to leave prison providing they survive being a 'character' in a shoot 'em up game, however, if they lose, they die. It does remind me heavily of the superior Schwarzenegger movie The Running Man, but with the main difference being that Gamer is based on a mixture of putting a human in a videogame. Unfortunately, whilst an interesting idea, it isn't that well executed. Some of the dialogue is hammy, the acting is rather lacklustre and the effects feel over-stylised for what is actually needed, losing what should be a tense feel to Butler's character. Still, it has enough moments in it to make it a low-end rental due to some of the more frenetic scenes being well executed and its fast pace. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #356 on: February 10, 2012, 07:07:57 PM »

Swamp Shark (2011) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
On a remote patch of swamp, an illegal animal smuggling deal goes bad and a vicious creature is released into the river. Meanwhile at the Broussard family-owned Gator Shed restaurant a disgruntled customer and their whole pen of gators are mangled to bits by whatever has gotten loose. In the commotion, Rachel Broussard, the head of the clan, catches a glimpse of a massive, armored, SHARK! The crooked town sheriff pins the deaths that pile up on the Broussard's "escaped" pack of gators – when he's the one who brokered the shark deal to begin with! Unwilling to go down without a fight, Rachel and her family - with the help of a mysterious stranger named Charlie, take on the Swampshark in order to clear their names, save the restaurant, and prevent the unwitting folks at the upcoming Gator Fest from being torn to shreds!

My Thoughts:
First things first, if you've ever seen a Syfy Original creature feature then you pretty much know exactly what you are going to get here. Swamp Shark is a bad film, but so what because it is a little enjoyable and fun. The acting is budget-TV-movie as should be expected with the better cast members being Kristy Swanson and Lance Nichols. The effects are quite poor but still fun enough for what it is and the final scene is actually quite funny and a new way of killing a shark, rather than the 'lets copy Jaws' copout. If you enjoy low budget creature features, you could do a lot worse than this almost guilty pleasure. Low end rental. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #357 on: February 10, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

Paul (2011) Region B United Kingdom

Overview:
Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) reunite for the comedy adventure Paul as two sci-fi geeks whose pilgrimage takes them to America's UFO heartland. While there, they accidentally meet an alien who brings them on an insane road trip that alters their universe forever.
For the past 60 years, an alien named Paul (voiced by Seth Rogen) has been hanging out at a top-secret military base. For reasons unknown, the space-traveling smart ass decides to escape the compound and hop on the first vehicle out of town-a rented RV containing Earthlings Graeme Willy (Pegg) and Clive Gollings (Frost).
Chased by federal agents and the fanatical father of a young woman that they accidentally kidnap, Graeme and Clive hatch a fumbling escape plan to return Paul to his mother ship. And as two nerds struggle to help, one little green man might just take his fellow outcasts from misfits to intergalactic heroes.

My Thoughts:
Another movie with hilarious duo Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, although this time without Edgar Wright's involvement but at least it was written by Pegg/Frost. This shows, because the script is sharp and has plenty of funny moments and although there are plenty of better candidates around to voice Paul, Seth Rogen wasn't a bad choice. Kristen Wiig, who I often find hit and miss, was very good in this and I found her character added a lot of fun to the journey, and I especially liked the bumbling FBI agents played by Joe Lo Truglio and Bill Hader. The biggest surprise was kept for the excellent cameo by Sigourney Weaver however. Funniest part of the entire movie for me is when Paul brings a bird back to life and then quickly eats it or when
(click to show/hide)
. It isn't as good as Pegg/Frost's previous attempts but I still have to recommend it. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #358 on: February 10, 2012, 08:51:13 PM »

12 Rounds (2009) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
When New Orleans Police Detective Danny Fisher (WWE's John Cena) stops a brilliant thief from getting away with a multimillion-dollar heist, the thief's girlfriend is accidentally killed. After escaping from prison, the criminal mastermind enacts his revenge, taunting Danny with 12 rounds of near-impossible puzzles and tasks that he must somehow complete to save the life of the woman he loves. With scenes not seen in cinemas.

My Thoughts:
As soon as I see that a movie stars a wrestler or a UFC fighter, my expectations are generally middle of the road and I expect a typical DTV actioner with lots of focus on fight scenes and not a lot on the plot. However, I have seen John Cena in a couple of movies and I do find he his one of the better wrestlers come actors and he helps make 12 Rounds an above average cat and mouse action movie. Cena is the only well known name involved in the movie outside of director Renny Harlin, but the supporting cast are good enough to keep the scenes ticking over even if they are nothing great. I found the special effects to be of high quality and the action scenes well shot so as a popcorn movie, this comes recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #359 on: February 10, 2012, 08:59:34 PM »

What Happens in Vegas (2008) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
After the wildest party night of their lives, two mismatched strangers, Jack (Ashton Kutcher) and Joy (Cameron Diaz), wake up in Vegas to discover they not only got lucky they got married! The road to annulment takes a hilarious turn after Jack wins a three million dollar jackpot while playing Joy's money and a no-nonsense judge (Dennis Miller) sentences them to six months "hard marriage." What follows is an all-out battle of the sexes as Jack and Joy go to outrageous lengths to try and cheat each other out of the money.

My Thoughts:
The focus on What Happens in Vegas is clearly on Kutcher and Diaz and whilst Diaz is her usual self, and Kutcher slightly better than he usually is, the real stars of the movie are Lake Bell as Tipper and Rob Cordry as Hater. There is a reasonably good supporting cast including Treat Williams, Queen Latifah, Dennis Farina, Zack Galifianakis and Krysten Ritter who often outshine the main cast but Diaz/Kutcher still hold their own. Of course, the movie follows your basic plot and the outcome is obvious from the start but there are enough funny moments to keep you entertained. My favourite part is Rob Cordry in the courtroom towards the end of the movie. Rent it. A generous 3/5.