Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224639 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #270 on: December 31, 2011, 01:44:46 AM »
From the producer of ....
When this or "from the director of..." appear on case it's usually a good sign that a movie will be bad :laugh:

That should've given it away. Or when my mate said "It's crap. You won't like it. Don't blame me because I warned you." :laugh:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #271 on: December 31, 2011, 11:49:11 AM »

The Inbetweeners Movie (2011) Region B United Kingdom

Overview:
Will (Simon Bird), Simon (Joe Thomas), Jay (James Buckley) and Neil (Blake Harrison), have finished school forever, and are off on their first lads holiday. They‘re looking forward to two weeks in Malia with no parents, no teachers and little chance with the ladies.
From disastrous holiday accommodation, to Simon’s heartache, to Neil’s spectacular dancing, to Jay falling asleep in an ants nest, it’s a real coming-of-age film – where 4 boys become men… or at least try to. And with the chance for holiday romance the boys pull out all the stops!

My Thoughts:
Well let me get it out of the way straight off the bat. If you are familiar with the television show in any way whatsoever then you'll know pretty much what the movie holds in store, except this time on a lads holiday to Greece, rather than the day to day events of sixth form. It's good to see though that the boys' parents still get small roles, as does Greg Davies as their (now ex) head of form. The film's dialogue, like the shows, is hilarious and I laughed throughout the film from start to finish, most notably at Will's antics. So, the story might not amount to much (go on holiday, get laid whilst realising what great mates you all are) but it's structured and paced well and because the laughs continously come, you don't mind. If you loved the show, you'll love this, though this movie does stand up well by itself so no knowledge of the characters is required beforehand. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #272 on: January 02, 2012, 12:41:37 AM »

The Smurfs (2011) Region Free - United Kingdom

Overview:
When the evil wizard Gargamel chases the tiny blue Smurfs out of their village, they tumble from their magical world and into ours--in fact, smack dab in the middle of Central Park. Just three apples high and stuck in the Big Apple, the Smurfs must find a way to get back to their village before Gargamel tracks them down.

My Thoughts:
Although I am obviously aware who the Smurfs are (I don't live in a cave), I'm not particularly familiar with the characters or the stories. The Smurfs go through a portal and end up in New York City where Gargamel (Hank Azaria) is chasing them to get the Smurf 'essence'. They find help from a marketing vice president (Neil Patrick Harris) and his pregnant wife (Jayma Mays) in order to stop Gargamel's evil plans. Although Mays and Harris have both been in films/tv shows I have enjoyed, their performances here fall short of the mark. The voice acting from the likes of Alan Cummings and Katy Perry also leave a lot to be desired. The CGI is distinctly average and a major Hollywood movie should have better than what is available here. The script does the job, but it is lazy and doesn't even attempt to add anything exciting or new. To be honest, the moment I realised Raja Gosnell was the director, I should've stayed away. It isn't a total mess though. The cat, Azrael gets a few funny moments and Hank Azaria does well with the material he is given as Gargamel. Overall, I'm sure youngsters will enjoy it, but it wasn't for me. 2/5
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:43:23 AM by samuelrichardscott »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #273 on: January 02, 2012, 01:59:25 AM »
I have a sneaky suspicion I'm not going to care for The Smurfs either. One of my least favorite cartoons as a kid.  :-\  I see The Smurfs were disqualified from Oscar consideration in the animation category because of it being an animation/live action hybrid. Apparently the blue dudes needed to be on screen no less than 75% of the time and they came up short. Like it was ever going to win....   ::)

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #274 on: January 02, 2012, 02:52:32 AM »

The Hangover Part II (2011) Region Free - United Kingdom

Overview:
Two years after the bachelor party in Las Vegas, Phil, Stu, Alan, and Doug jet to Thailand for Stu's wedding. Stu's plan for a subdued pre-wedding brunch, however, goes seriously awry.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed the first movie and it is one of my favourite comedies of the last decade so of course, I was excited to see the sequel. This time, the lads are in Thailand and lose Stu's soon to be brother-in-law in Bangkok. Whilst this is a funny film, it unfortunately feels like a remake to the first rather than a sequel as the chain of events are extremely similar. It was good to see Chow get a lot more screentime, but the cameo by Tyson, whilst hilarious in the first, was unneeded and felt forced into the screenplay for this. Some of the funniest moments include Stu's tattoo, Stu finding out about what happened in a Thai strip club between him and one of the prostitutes, and Alan's parking of the speedboat. It's safe to say, if you enjoyed the first, you'll enjoy this but it doesn't feel as fresh as the first movie. Still funny though, and still recommended. 3.5/5

Najemikon

« Reply #275 on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:52 AM »
I really enjoyed Hangover as well, but would have rated this sequel even lower than you. Not only is it virtually a remake, some of the contrivances are so insulting. Plot development? Nah, just have a monk help one of them "remember". Jeez...

I saw Horrible Bosses the week after. Much, much better. Has a decent plot of sorts, relatively speaking. Oh and my review won me another voucher from Find DVD last month.  :yahoo:

By the way, if you like Hangover, have you seen Very Bad Things? I recommend it to everyone who mentions Hangover as, for me, it is the definitive guys-on-a-stag-do-and-shit-happens movie, especially considering it pulls no punches at all in the end.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #276 on: January 02, 2012, 03:08:36 AM »
Seen, own and love Very Bad Things. :)

Najemikon

« Reply #277 on: January 02, 2012, 03:09:44 AM »
 :thumbup:

"Stick him in the crapper and get your ass upstairs"!   :hysterical:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #278 on: January 02, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »

Igby Goes Down (2002) R1 USA

Overview:
A stunning ensemble of stars illuminate this "scathingly funny" ('Elle') dark comedy. Seventeen-year-old rich kid Igby Slocumb is a rebel with a cause: to break free from his pill-popping mother, his schizophrenic dad and his fascist brother. Seduced by sexy older women and subverted by family and friends, the ever-resilient, witty and inventive Igby is determined to keep up - no matter what goes down.

My Thoughts:
Nice little film that has many levels to it. On one level, it's an extremely dark comedy with some very funny moments, on another level it's a rather deep drama about a teen struggling to cope with his mother's illness and being kicked out of school's repeatedly and on yet another level it is about family sticking together. The cast are terrific, especially Kieran Culkin in the lead role of Igby and Jeff Goldblum as DH. They are backed up by Amanda Peet, Claire Danes, Susan Sarandon and Bill Pullman and even Ryan Philippe manages to do put in a good performance as Igby's brother Oliver. This was Burr Steer's directorial debut and it showcases him as a capable director. If you want a dark version of Anderson's The Royal Tenanbaums, check this out.  4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #279 on: January 02, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »

National Lampoon Presents Dorm Daze (2003) R1 USA

Overview:
Unrated! Uninhibited! Unbelievably raunchy! Tatyana Ali ("The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"), Danielle Fishel ("Boy Meets World") and Chris Owen (American Pie) star in National Lampoon's Dorm Daze...and this unrated version busts loose with more babes, more bonuses and a bevy of sexy scenes that'll leave you gasping for "daze"!
When a foreign-exchange student and a hooker – both named Dominique – show up on a college campus, the unsuspecting student body is in for the education of a lifetime!

My Thoughts:
If you've seen any of National Lampoon's ouput in the last ten years then you'll pretty much know what to expect from Dorm Daze. I bought it based on the fact it stars Tatyana Ali, Danielle Fishel and Courtney Gains and I haven't really seen them in anything since the turn of the century. Unfortunately, Dorm Daze isn't the best of college based comedies... hell, it isn't even the best college based comedy from National Lampoon, but there is a little bit of enjoyment to be had here. If you can get past the hammy acting and recycled sex joke dialogue, the actual basis for the film is actually not a bad one, with a French foreign exchange student and a hooker getting mixed up by the students. Still, I can barely muster a low-end rent it and even then, it's only worth renting for people who are fans of the cast / like these National Lampoon comedies. A generous 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #280 on: January 03, 2012, 01:08:06 AM »

Vampires (1998) R1 USA

Overview:
In the blood-chilling tradition of Halloween and Village of the Damned comes John Carpenter's unique vision of the ultimate killing machines, VAMPIRES.
"Forget everything you've ever heard about vampires," warns Jack Crow (James Woods), the leader of Team Crow, a relentless group of mercenary vampire slayers. When Master Vampire Valek (Thomas Ian Griffith) decimates Jack's entire team, Crow and the sole team survivor, Montoya (Daniel Baldwin), set out in pursuit. Breaking all the rules, Crow and Montoya take one of Valek's victims hostage.
The beautiful but unlucky prostitute (Sheryl Lee) is their sole psychic link to Valek, and through her senses they will track down the leader of the undead. As Valek nears the climax of his 600-year search for the Berziers Cross, Jack and the new Team Crow do everything humanly possible to prevent him from possessing the only thing that can grant him and all vampires the omnipotent power to walk in the daylight.

My Thoughts:
John Carpenter is one of my favourite directors of all time and is responsible for some landmark horror films such as Halloween, The Fog and The Thing. In 1998, he made Vampires starring James Woods, Daniel Baldwin and Sheryl Lee. Whilst Vampires isn't a landmark genre film, it is a hell of a lot of fun using 'old-fashioned' special effects rather than relying on countless CGI, and the effects look great. The dialogue is extremely cheesy but perfect for this popcorn movie and I really enjoyed the religious aspect of the hunters working for the Church and a padre being with the hunt team. Sure, Vampires wasn't a Carpenter great, but it is well worth a look for any genre fan. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:10:01 AM by samuelrichardscott »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #281 on: January 03, 2012, 01:27:06 AM »

National Lampoon Presents Dorm Daze (2003) R1 USA

Overview:
Unrated! Uninhibited! Unbelievably raunchy! Tatyana Ali ("The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air"), Danielle Fishel ("Boy Meets World") and Chris Owen (American Pie) star in National Lampoon's Dorm Daze...and this unrated version busts loose with more babes, more bonuses and a bevy of sexy scenes that'll leave you gasping for "daze"!
When a foreign-exchange student and a hooker – both named Dominique – show up on a college campus, the unsuspecting student body is in for the education of a lifetime!

My Thoughts:
If you've seen any of National Lampoon's ouput in the last ten years then you'll pretty much know what to expect from Dorm Daze. I bought it based on the fact it stars Tatyana Ali, Danielle Fishel and Courtney Gains and I haven't really seen them in anything since the turn of the century. Unfortunately, Dorm Daze isn't the best of college based comedies... hell, it isn't even the best college based comedy from National Lampoon, but there is a little bit of enjoyment to be had here. If you can get past the hammy acting and recycled sex joke dialogue, the actual basis for the film is actually not a bad one, with a French foreign exchange student and a hooker getting mixed up by the students. Still, I can barely muster a low-end rent it and even then, it's only worth renting for people who are fans of the cast / like these National Lampoon comedies. A generous 2.5/5

I've watched some truly atrocious Lampoon movies lately but Pledge This! has got to be the worst. It was doomed the moment they cast Paris Hilton in the movie. Dorm Daze wasn't great either.  :yucky:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #282 on: January 03, 2012, 01:32:19 AM »
Have you seen their TV: The Movie?

I have that as the worst film I have ever seen.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 03, 2012, 01:32:32 AM »
It's John Carpenter's Vampires :P

More seriously I like this one too and James Woods is the major reason of this. His interpretation is so good in that film, Woods is one the few actors who can make a film 100% better just by being in it ;D

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #284 on: January 03, 2012, 01:34:35 AM »
It's John Carpenter's Vampires :P

I always remove actors/directors names from movie titles (well... apart from Being John Malkovich etc of course). I hate it. :laugh: