Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 224445 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #180 on: November 05, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »

Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
Following up on 'Bowling for Columbine', film-maker Michael Moore provides deep and though-provoking insights on the American security system, the level of paranoia, fear, uncertainty, false values and patriotism, which all combined together to set a stage for George W. Bush to launch a war on Iraq instead of focusing on getting the real culprit(s) behind the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. This documentary also focuses on how some Saudis were safely and secretly flown out of America while planes were ostensibly grounded after the attacks. Archived film footage, candid interviews with politicians, and an overall waste of public funds for a war that was initiated on false pretension to wit: a weapon of mass distraction - to take the focus away from the real enemy and get Americans glued to their TV sets to watch innocent Iraqis and Afghans getting killed. And a war that would eventually alienate the U.S.A. and it's citizens from almost every country on Earth.

My Thoughts:
I'll try and type this without being political but that would always be hard considering the nature of this 'documentary/propoganda' (depending on which side of the fence you sit). Michael Moore is a love or hate filmmaker for most people and, whilst I dislike him for being biased and not showing opposing views to his own in his documentaries, I'm a fan of his works, and Fahrenheit 9/11 is no different. One thing he does manage to do is always raise some very interesting points that provoke discussion in everyone that watches it. Recommended, whether you agree with his viewpoint or not. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »

Beastly (2011) Region B United Kingdom

Overview:
Beastly is a teen romance about learning how to see past false surfaces to discover true inner beauty. 17-year-old Kyle (Alex Pettyfer: I Am Number Four) is the spoiled, shallow and an incredibly popular prince of his high school kingdom. Entirely captivated and empowered by his own physical appearance, Kyle foolishly chooses Kendra (Mary-Kate Olsen), a goth classmate rumoured to be a witch, as his latest target for humiliation. Unfazed by his cruel behaviour, Kendra decides to teach him a lesson--she transforms him into someone as unattractive on the outside as he is on the inside. Now he has one year to find someone who can see past the surface and love him, or he will remain “Beastly” forever. His only hope, an unassuming classmate he never noticed named Lindy (Vanessa Hudgens: High School Musical), may be his best chance to prove that love is never ugly.

My Thoughts:
A modern day "Beauty and the Beast", Beastly isn't as bad as some might think it would be, considering the teeny-bopper cast. It's very formulaic, the dialogue is sometimes clunky and the cast put in middle-of-the-road performances but it is well filmed and Alex Pettyfer's make-up for his facial effects is actually surprisingly good. Neil Patrick Harris and Lisa Gay Hamilton are the strongest as Kyle's tutor and housekeeper and Vanessa Hudgens is good as the love interest (though I think she has much better skills in her, she just needs to pick better roles). They made a mistake in casting Pettyfer in the lead, with a sub-par performance and he sometimes struggled to show emotion, but overall, it's worth a low end rent and for the mid/late teen MTV crowd it was aiming for, it's not a bad little film. 2.5/5
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:30:48 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2011, 08:27:29 PM »

Holy Rollers (2010) Region B United Kingdom

Overview:
Holy Rollers stars heavyweight performers BAFTA and Oscar nominated*Jessie Eisenberg ( The Social Network , Zombieland ) and Justin Bartha ( The Hangover 1 & 2 ). Set between the bustling streets of New York City and Amsterdam, Holy Rollers is a story based on true events about an innocent young man, Sam (Eisenberg) who is lured into a dark, seedy underworld and becomes involved in smuggling drugs. As the stakes get higher, Sam becomes ever more involved in these corrupt dealings, as he forgets his friends, family and values. Can Sam set himself straight before it is too late, or is the draw or money, woman and power too great...? With electrifying performances from both Eisenberg and Bartha and featuring Ari Graynor and Q-Tip, Holy Rollers is an intense, dangerous journey and is set to be the next indie smash.

My Thoughts:
This is loosely based on the true story of an orthadox Jew who gets involved with smuggling ecstacy tablets from Europe into the US and how they hired other orthadox Jews to smuggle the tablets (it is thought they managed to smuggle a million tablets in the six months before they were caught). I was originally drawn to the movie by the appearances of Jesse Eisenberg as the main character, Sam Gold, Justin Bartha as Yosef Zimmerman and Ari Graynor as Rachel Apfel but, unlike previous excellent performances from these actors this was merely average, particularly Eisenberg. The story itself is interesting if a little slow in parts but the dialogue flows well and I still found the film to be entertaining enough. Rent it. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2011, 06:55:48 PM »

The Fighter (2010) Region B - United Kingdom

Overview:
Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale star in this inspirational and powerful true story of two brothers who against all odds come together to train for a historic title fight that has the power to unite their fractured family and give their run down town what it's been waiting for: Pride. Struggling boxer Micky Ward has long been overshadowed by his older bother and trainer, Dicky, a local legend who is now battling his own demons. The explosive relationship of these brothers threatens to take them both down but at the heart of this story is a bond of blood that may just be their only chance of redemption.

My Thoughts:
Yes, it's about as formulaic as you get; underdog sportsperson comes good despite family troubles etc etc... but, this is a fantastic film. The story is full of emotion and that is portrayed well throughout thanks to an extremely strong cast. Amy Adams, Mark Wahlberg, Melissa Leo and Jack McGee all put in stirling performances, and although Marky Mark plays the main character Micky Ward, it is without a shadow of a doubt that the true star of the film is Christian Bale, fantastic as the junkie, ex-boxer brother who once 'downed' Sugar Ray. Fight scenes are well shot and enjoyable to watch, and the dialogue/script well put together. The sisters leveling with Amy Adams makes way for some good comic relief that at times is needed to combat some of the more dramatic moments. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2011, 05:15:17 PM »

Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) R1 America

Overview:
Brimming with laughter, tears and subtle beauty, 'Hannah and Her Sisters' is a magnificent "summation of [Woody Allen's] career to date" ('The New York Times'). Winner of three Oscars®*, and featuring a brilliant all-star cast, 'Hannah and Her Sisters' spins a tale of three unforgettable women and showcases Allen "at his most emotionally expansive, working on his broadest canvas with masterly ease" ('Newsweek')!
The eldest daughter of show-biz parents, Hannah (Mia Farrow) is a devoted wife, loving mother and successful actress. A loyal supporter of her two aimless sisters Lee (Barbara Hershey) and Holly (Dianne Wiest), she's also the emotional backbone of a family that seems to resent her stability almost as much as they depend on it. But when Hannah's perfect world is quietly sabotaged by sibling rivalry, she finally begins to see that she's as lost as everyone else, and in order to find herself, she'll have to choose – between the independence her family can't live with...and the family she can't live without.

My Thoughts:
Woody Allen is a genius. Here he manages to tell several seperate stories about three sisters and their significant others with fantastic dialogue and a very well written script which develops each character well, although I would've liked more time to go into Hannah's life, especially when, despite her name being in the movie title, we see a lot more of Holly (Dianne Wiest). Michael Caine puts in a stirling performance and finally received an Oscar for his efforts and Woody Allen, as usual, plays a neurotic character perfectly. If you like dialogue driven films that focus on the characters and you've enjoyed Woody Allen's work in general, this is highly recommended. It does occasionally drag slightly though. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »

3 Ninjas (1992) R1 America

Overview:
Here’s the exciting action-adventure hit that sparked ninja-mania with audiences everywhere! After an organized crime ring proves to be too much for the FBI — it’s time for the 3 Ninjas! They’re three brothers trained in the ways of the ninja. And the fun kicks off, when the action kicks in! Using their martial arts skills, they team up to battle the crime ring and outwit some very persistent kidnappers! Mixing the high-kicking fun of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with the humorous pranks of Home Alone, 3 Ninjas creates a high-energy, fun-filled treat for everyone!

My Thoughts:
This was a fave of mine when I was 9-10 years old although it's not held up for me anywhere near as well as other kids films of the time. The story is simple but forgettable, the dialogue is often clunky and some of the acting is quite poor. Still, although it isn't as good now that I'm in my late twenties compared to nearly twenty years ago it still has a certain charm to it. It's funny in parts, particularly fight scenes featuring the youngest kid Tum-Tum, and the general feel of the film makes it enjoyable enough for a rental. 2.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »

Deadfall (2000) R2 United Kingdom

Overview:
A weekend getaway, at a cabin deep within the woods, goes awry when four friends inadvertantlty unleash a dark supernatural force which has remained imprisoned for over 500 years. Severed from civilization with no means of escape, they are ravaged by this evil and forced to do battle by any and all means.

My Thoughts:
Some may consider this to be a homage to Evil Dead, but to be honest, it is a poorly made, shoddily scripted, horrendously acted rip-off where the only differences are a box instead of a book and a female instead of a male at the end. It does have the occasional clever moment, like the well utilised flashbacks, but in all honesty, there is nothing more of note to enjoy here. Skip it. 1.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2011, 04:12:23 PM »

Knuckle (2011) R2 United Kingdom (rental)

Overview:
How do you resolve a long running family feud? By brutal, bare-knuckle fist fights, of course. At least you do if you re the Joyce or Quinn-McDonagh families... The Irish travellers have been fighting for so long that they can no longer agree quite how it started. Over a decade, director Ian Palmer is given unlimited access their world, where generations of men exchange threatening videos, then meet up regularly on quiet Irish lanes to beat the life out of each other. Charismatic James McDonagh swears that every fight is his last if only he can learn to turn down the sizeable purse which comes with each win...

My Thoughts:
As far as what interests me when it comes to documentaries, I would've put a gypsy feud and the resultant bare knuckle fights as a low priority but after a recommendation from a friend, I decided to give this a rental. I was surprised by how the fights continue, years after feuds, some bare knuckle fights taking as long as six hours between the two families. The set-up is interesting. Nobody but the fighters from each family are allowed to attend, with the spectators being from other gypsy families. They have 'fair play referees' who make sure the rules of gypsy fighting are adhered to and it works unbelievably well, with a strange hint of gentleman behaviour in the brutish fights. I definately recommend this for a viewing. 3.5/5
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 04:31:25 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »

True Grit (2010) Region FREE - United Kingdom

Overview:
Following the murder of her father by hired hand Tom Chaney, 14-year-old farm girl Mattie Ross sets out to capture the killer. To aid her, she hires the toughest U.S. marshal she can find, a man with "true grit," Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn. Mattie insists on accompanying Cogburn, whose drinking, sloth, and generally reprobate character do not augment her faith in him. Against his wishes, she joins him in his trek into the Indian Nations in search of Chaney. They are joined by Texas Ranger LaBoeuf, who wants Chaney for his own purposes. The unlikely trio find danger and surprises on the journey, and each has his or her "grit" tested.

My Thoughts:
Well, I'm a big fan of westerns but these days, the great ones are few and far between. When I initially heard the original was going to be remade I was certainly skeptical but what the Coens' have made here, throws away my original feelings. Brolin is underused but along with Bridges, Damon, and of course, Steinfeld, perfectly cast. The story moves at a good pace and the mix of drama and action is nye on perfect. There is also a few funny moments thrown in, like when Mattie gets money that is 'owed' to her for her father's stolen horse. Overall, I really dug this remake, and it just goes to show that not all remakes are a bad thing. Highly recommended. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »

Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2010) Region FREE - United Kingdom

Overview:
Join the master adventurer and iconic director Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man, Rescue Dawn) in this extraordinary 3D blu-ray, as he ventures on a new epic journey. Overcoming considerable challenges, Herzog captures the stunning majesty of the Chauvet Cave in southern France, where the world s oldest cave paintings have been discovered. Herzog reveals a breathtaking subterranean world including the 32,000-year-old artworks. With his humorous and engaging narration Herzog refelcts on our primal desire to communicate and represent the world around us, evolution and our place within it, and ultimately what it means to be human.

My Thoughts:
Very interesting documentary about the Chauvet Cave which was discovered in France in 1994. Herzog provides us with some fantastic images from inside the caves, and some informative interviews with those working with the information gleamed from the historic cave paintings. The documentary is well structured and the final twenty minutes includes some great footage of the artwork over a good choice of music. My only real problem, is although the interviews are informative, they do seem to lack a little bit of analytical depth. Still, this is recommended for people with a general interest in history. 4/5

Najemikon

« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2011, 09:01:43 PM »
Just got this one myself!

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2011, 10:50:41 PM »

Overview:
Captain Colter Stevens (Jake Gyllenhaal) is on a mission to identify a bomber who destroyed a train just hours earlier and who plans to kill thousands more with a much larger explosion in the heart of Chicago.
A top-secret program, named ‘Source Code’, allows Colter to exist briefly as another man in the parallel reality of the doomed commuter train. Each time he returns to the train, Colter has just eight minutes to uncover the bomber’s identity. The more he learns, the more convinced he becomes that he can prevent the deadly blast from ever happening – unless time runs out first.
Filled with mind-boggling twists and heart-pounding suspense, Source Code is a smart action-thriller directed by Duncan Jones (Moon) also starring Michelle Monaghan (Eagle Eye, Due Date), Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air, The Departed), and Jeffrey Wright (Quantum of Solace, Syriana).

My Thoughts:
Duncan Jones does it again. This action-thriller is exciting and uses what is a very interesting idea as to how to uncover a bomber's identity in an alternate reality. Sure, it does have a few plot holes, but what is here is finely acted, especially by the main cast members Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, Jeffrey Wright and Vera Farmiga, well scripted and very well paced. Even though the obvious happens, the final moments of the film add a nice bit of drama and closes the story very well without feeling the need to cop out. I look forward to seeing what Duncan Jones has up his sleeve next. Another British talent to look out for. 4/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2011, 10:52:53 PM »
Just got this one myself!

You'll like it. I've added it to my must-buy list (I rented it). The crime is it is unlikely the general public will ever get to see these cave paintings, especially considering the care taken to preserve them by way of heat, type of lighting allowed etc etc.

Najemikon

« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »
The Blu is currently just 6.95 at Zavvi.co.uk, if that's of inetrest... ;) Kermode did a nice interview with Herzog and he spoke of the privilege to be able to see the paintings and film in there. They also discussed 3d, because Kermode hates it and I liked what Herzog said: he would not consider it for a narrative story based film, but it was ideal in this case for pure cinema.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2011, 10:58:22 PM »
Thanks for the price tip...