Author Topic: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)  (Read 229627 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Never Ending Movie Marathon (short reviews)
« Reply #1110 on: March 11, 2013, 09:36:08 PM »
A rewatch of Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist already reviewed here:
http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,6328.msg148118/topicseen.html#msg148118

This time I viewed the blu.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1111 on: March 12, 2013, 01:41:16 AM »

Cane Toads: The Conquest (2010)

This feature length documentary shows how man can really shoot themselves in the foot. It tells us about the battle between Australia and the cane toad, an animal that the country imported in an attempt to rid the cane beetles. Unfortunately, they breed. A lot. Because of this, they have quickly made their way across the country and we are told about different viewpoints, from those who spend their days killing the animals (spear, gassing, car), those who are studying them, and those who are trying to save them to some degree. It's made up of a couple of reconstructions around lots of interviews, and although this is interesting, there isn't enough footage of the cane toads or enough details as to the effect they are having on Australias ecology. The 3D was good throughout with great depth so it's worth a cheap purchase for the 3D if you're a nature documentary fan, but don't expect anything near BBC standards. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1112 on: March 12, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »

Survival of the Dead (2009)

This one didn't really resonate well with Romero fans at all, and although it's far from the standards of other movies in the series, I'm not sure why it is hated as much as it is. The first thing that I liked here is how it is tied in to Diary of the Dead, albeit very slight, by having the film revolve around the National Guard soldiers that robbed the students of everything they had in their caravan (apart from the weapons). I also like the idea of showing people getting to an island and the problems that itself can bring. On the downside, it feels a bit more rushed, with poor CGI and poor comedic elements. I can agree it is the worst of Romero's zombie films, but it is still worth a viewing. 2.5/5-3/5 (can't quite decide).

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1113 on: March 12, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)

Film four of the Harry Potter series, and this time Harry finds himself selected as an underaged competitor in a dangerous multi-wizardary school competition. This one is the best in the series thus far in my opinion. I really enjoyed the design and introductions of the dragons, as well as their unpredictablility and I loved the imagery of the Quidditch World Cup. The actors are now starting to really come into their own and as usual, the supporting cast is full of some great British talent. My first Potter recommendation. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1114 on: March 12, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987)

In the final Christopher Reeves Superman movie, he must fight Lex Luthor's villainous Nuclear Man as he fights for a nuclear disarmamant. To be honest, this film is lacking in more ways than one, a shame when you take into account that Reeves is such a good Superman. The story is unmemorable and although a man flying about with super powers is the definition of silly, when he can move the moon, it just takes the suspension of belief too far. I didn't think the effects were as good as 2 and 3 and the dialogue was poor compared to all the previous outings. It's worth owning for completists and hardcore comic fans, but everyone else should just skip it. 2/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1115 on: March 12, 2013, 08:13:01 PM »

Despicable Me (2010)

Universal hadn't really made much of a splash in the very lucrative CGI market but Despicable Me put them on the genre map, so much a success that Despicable me 2 is out soon. With a good voice cast including Steve Carell, Jason Segal and Kristen Wiig, it follows a villain intent on stealing the moon who changes his ways after adopting three young girls. The storyline is rather obvious from the get-go but it's a fun journey getting there. There is plenty of slapstick style comedy as well as some funny dialogue and as to be expected, it delivers a 'moral' for the kids, this time about acceptance. It's not up to the standards of the best Pixar films, but it is certainly a step in the right direction for Universal. The 3D was pretty good with depth throughout and some great popouts. Recommended. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1116 on: March 12, 2013, 08:28:51 PM »

Home Makeover (2010)

This short is included on the Despicable Me blu-ray and has the three kids and the minions attempt to get the house in order for a visit from the social worker so that they don't get sent back to the orphanage. It's not a great or a bad short but is low on humour although I did get a little chuckle from the payoff. Worth a watch. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1117 on: March 12, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »

Orientation Day (2010)

Orientation Day is a short included on the Despicable me blu-ray and shows three minions as they undergo a work induction before starting for Gru Empires. This is quite a clever little film and the actual induction video is where all the fun is. A couple of good laughs can be found here, especially if you've ever undergone a stupid induction day. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1118 on: March 12, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »

Banana (2010)

This is the final short of the "Minion Mayhem" films on the Despicable Me blu-ray and I thought it was at the same standards as Home Makeover. This is basically four minutes of Minions fighting over a banana starting with just a couple of them, and then more and more minions join as the short progresses. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1119 on: March 13, 2013, 12:03:19 AM »

Elfie Hopkins (2012)

Unfortunately, Elfie Hopkins is a very mixed bag. The first problem is that it just can't decide what type of film it wants to be. The first hour or so is very much a murder mystery with some noir qualities, whilst the final half hour is firmly in the horror genre with several gory scenes and a couple of jumps. On their own, both parts of the film have some fitting scenes and are at times quite good, but they have been merged together with haste and because of that it suffers from tonal problems and a slight lack of direction.

The next problem is unfortunately our star, Jaime Winstone. I've enjoyed her in minor roles I've seen her in, such as Kidulthood, and I thought she was one of the better elements in Donkey Punch, but here she is very one-dimensional and just grunts her way through the movie without changing emotion either through her face, or through facial expressions. Although the film is set in a village in Wales, accents (or lack of) are all over the place from all cast members. Jaime's poor acting here is made all the more obvious by a great cameo appearance by her own dad (twice).

Now all is not lost. When the film first starts you are treated to a really nice monochrome tint to the proceedings and I loved the colours used to make it feel like a mystery film of yesteryear. This of course changes when it ramps up into horror, but was still impressive none-the-less and really suited the atmosphere and story during that first hour. The horror elements were also well utilised at times with some good gore and it leaves one wondering if the six seconds that were cut to gain a 15 rating (an uncut 18 was available) may have added even more to the horror elements or the genre cross-over.

Elfie Hopkins has some good ideas and was obviously filmed with the possibility of a franchise in mind, and I do think if they had ignored the horror element, this would've been better. As it is, I can't find myself recommending this to anybody though. A disappointment.

2/5

Full review:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=2782

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1120 on: March 13, 2013, 12:05:19 AM »
Little Munchkin (2011)

This short is included on the Elfie Hopkins blu-ray. Directed by Ryan Andrews and is about a husband and wife who visit an orphanage to adopt a child. The problem is, they want a child who is 'unique', so adopt Margaret and immediately leave her with a babysitter, Mr. Sumner. They play a game of hide-and-seek and he realises that she isn't quite normal. Worth a viewing and much better than the main feature, but nothing outstanding. 3.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1121 on: March 13, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »

Scanners II: The New Order (1991)

Scanners II takes the series in quite a different direction. The storyline itself has quite a number of good ideas, the best being to influence an inexperienced Scanner (David) who has only just realised exactly what he is, into finding a man who killed some kids after poisoning milk, making him think he is going to be doing good under the command and help of John Forrester. It isn't until David scans Forrester that he realises he is being used to help Forrester attempt to control the city by using Scanners. I also really liked the idea that Scanners that were unable to control their minds and abilities had become addicted to a drug given to them by Forrester, who uses the junkies needs to control them. Unfortunately though, the dialogue and the structure doesn't necessarily put these ideas into action in the best way. It sometimes feels a little lazy and becomes a little generic when it could've been something quite fresh, despite the original.

The cast is a mixed bag. I enjoyed the performances of David Hewlitt, Yvan Ponton, Isabella Mejias and Deborah Raffin, but these good showings were sometimes brushed aside by some hammy, amateur dramatics, especially by Raoul Trujillo who plays Peter Drak. The mind control battles can be of varying qualities also. Some of the characters who are being controlled look the part. Scared, panicky and out-of-control. Others however, look as though they are battling, well... constipation.

Effects and set-pieces aren't always up to the standard of Scanners, but the convenience store armed robbery scene is among the strongest in the film and includes the strongest stunt work of this sequel.

Scanners II: The New Order isn't a bad film. The sequel is seperated from the first movie in several ways and stands on it's own two feet, whilst maintaining some similarities. It has some great ideas, but unfortunately they are not realised to their full potential.

Full review:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=2783
Released April 8th 2013.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1122 on: March 13, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)

Film five, and this time Harry and Dumbledore are struggling to get people to believe them that Voldemort is back. Although the shortest of the movies so far at 138 minutes, I did find it to be the most drawn out. Although pacing is faster than previous films, it is at the expense of the storyline at times and that makes it feel longer - the adverse affect. Cast wise, I really liked Imelda Staunton here and Gary Oldman is again the strongest of all. I haveno doubt inmy mind that the majority will love it, but the pacing issues make it a recommendation for a rental from me. 3/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #1123 on: March 13, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »

Superman Returns (2006)

In my opinion, I think the critical hatred this seemed to get upon release was rather harsh. I agree with the majority in that Brandon Routh was a poor decision for the Man of Steel but Kevin Spacey made a great Lex Luthor and I thought Kate Bosworth was okay as Lois Lane. I also like the way that Bryan Singer tried to keep it in line with Richard Donner's vision rather than completely re-imagine Superman. The film is about 30 minutes too long and could have easily been edited down, but overall, I like it. Recommended. 3.5/5

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 13, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
This one is a cure for insomia for me... everytime I've tried to watch my DVD I felt asleep very fast ;D