Author Topic: Hi there.  (Read 7712 times)

Najemikon

Re: Hi there.
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 01:40:32 AM »
Eric did a better one than that! Can't remember which now, but he did a proper template and literally put something like "I didn't watch this in the end"! :hysterical:

Don't worry about grammar or spelling or language or whatever. Honesty is always more important.

I tend to do it three ways (ooer missus!). Single postings for movies I expect might generate discussion or ones where I'm writing a lot; a random thread for quick stuff; and themed marathons, like Stop Thief! The Robbing Bastard Marathon.

The best ones though are where we all try to throw in together. Pete started a tradition of horror around October (normally he starts trying to avoid such titles months before!), where we tend to do our own marathons. Then in November we do the alphabet marathon: DCO Third Annual Alphabet Marathon.

Plus there are random ones, like Bond and Hitchcock, which I'm right on the cusp of finishing. :training:

Any of you want to start anything like that, just go for it. Say so if you want to keep it for yourself or open it up and set a few deadlines and indexes, whatever you like.

Also, there is an audience for much deeper film nerd stuff in the Movie Analysis Forum. There's some cracking stuff in there.

But remember. There are no rules!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:42:29 AM by Jon »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 01:55:53 AM »
You all have very good suggestions and now I'm a little torn with what to do.  :hmmmm:

I like the idea of keeping all my reviews in one thread for simplicity reasons but I also like and encourage active discussions about the movie in question which may not lend itself well to one big enormous thread. I don't really do marathons as such... I'm weird and I have an archaic system for randomly selecting my movies to watch. Perhaps I might post my review, allow a suitable time period to elapse first (a day? a couple of days?) to allow for some discussion and then move onto my next review. I'm glad you allow for flexibility so that I can experiment as I get my feet wet.  :)

KC

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 01:59:49 AM »
Hell, yeah, just dive in. You'll get it! I used to only use separate postings, but drifted into marathons.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 02:20:34 AM »
For my reviews I never do individual film, I just don't like it. I used two big thread :

Jimmy's XXX Movies review (this one is now closed since I don't review adult material here anymore)
The little known movie review depot (running since january 2008)

and of course the anual halloween and alphabetic marathon for wich I start my own thread.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 02:25:00 AM »
All this talk of reviews is almost enough to make me want to try.  But my strength lies in writing computer code, not something to be read by the general public.  :P

Let me tell you this Mark...

English grammar and literature were my absolutely worse subjects when I was in school. I just never became interested in writing, I was more of a logic, science and history person. Sort of a cross between Mr. Spock and Mr. Peabody.  ;)

I hear what you're saying.  Though English and grammar were never my strong subjects in school, I think I could nail that part.  It's the critical part I'd have issues with.  I'm too optimistic and love most everything (except the Lost finale  :hysterical:)  My reviews would be boring. :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 02:26:18 AM »
For my reviews I never do individual film, I just don't like it. I used two big thread :

Jimmy's XXX Movies review (this one is now closed since I don't review adult material here anymore)...

But, fear not, new reviews can be found - just click on the link under Jimmy's banner.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 03:19:34 AM »
All this talk of reviews is almost enough to make me want to try.  But my strength lies in writing computer code, not something to be read by the general public.  :P

Let me tell you this Mark...

English grammar and literature were my absolutely worse subjects when I was in school. I just never became interested in writing, I was more of a logic, science and history person. Sort of a cross between Mr. Spock and Mr. Peabody.  ;)

I hear what you're saying.  Though English and grammar were never my strong subjects in school, I think I could nail that part.  It's the critical part I'd have issues with.  I'm too optimistic and love most everything (except the Lost finale  :hysterical:)  My reviews would be boring. :laugh:

This is pure gold!  :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 03:31:53 AM »
It's the critical part I'd have issues with.  I'm too optimistic and love most everything (except the Lost finale  :hysterical:)  My reviews would be boring. :laugh:
You would be like a second Pete, nothing bad or boring in this :laugh:

MEJHarrison

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2010, 03:40:06 AM »
It's the critical part I'd have issues with.  I'm too optimistic and love most everything (except the Lost finale  :hysterical:)  My reviews would be boring. :laugh:
You would be like a second Pete, nothing bad or boring in this :laugh:

That's true! I remember following his review of The X-Files: Season 1 very closely and I was just  :o on almost all of his thoughts!  I hated most of season 1. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 06:10:19 AM »
Welcome Kinky! Nice to have you here.

FWIW, I have done both in the past (not that I post many reviews to begin with). Depending on mood and movie I either create a new thread (so that potential discussion can remain focused) or in the one thread I created for random reviews (if I feel not much dicussion may come from it).

Alien Redrum

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 06:51:55 AM »
Just create a HTML window for this code, and when you click on the DVD in your collection, it creates the BB code with all the info. :thumbup:

A small correction to the above code. The code above looks like it wouldn't show the cover images. What follows is the template I am using, stripped of the CCViewer specific stuff like awards and Wikipedia link.

Code: [Select]
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<script language="JavaScript">
<DP NAME="HEADER_VARS">
</script>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<SCRIPT language=javascript>
document.write('[img]http://www.invelos.com/mpimages/' + DP_UPC.substring(0,2) + '/' + DP_UPC + 'f.jpg[/img]' );</script>
<br/><br/>
[b]Title:[/b]<DP NAME="ORIGINAL_TITLE">
<SCRIPT language=javascript>
if (DP_MediaTypeBluRay) { document.write('[img]http://www.invelos.com/images/BluRayLogo.png[/img]') }
if (DP_MediaTypeDVD) { document.write('[img]http://www.invelos.com/images/DVDLogo.png[/img]') }</script>
<br/>
[b]Year:[/b] <DP NAME="PRODYEAR"><br/>
[b]Director:[/b] <DP NAME="CREW_DIRECTION"><br/>
[b]Rating:[/b] <DP NAME="RATING"><br/>
[b]Length:[/b] <DP NAME="RUNTIME" TotalInMins="TRUE"> Min. <br/>
[b]Video:[/b] <DP NAME="VIDFORMATS" Ratios="YES"><br/>
[b]Audio:[/b] <DP NAME="AUDIOTRACKS"> <br/>
[b]Subtitles:[/b] <DP NAME="SUBTITLES"><br/>
<br/>
[b]Stars:[/b]<br/>
<DP NAME="CAST" ShowRoles="NO" MaxList="5" Divider="BREAK">
<br/><br/>
[b]Plot:[/b]<br/>
<DP NAME="OVERVIEW">
<br/> <br/>
[b]Extras:[/b]<br/>
<DP NAME="FEATURES" Divider="BREAK">
<br/><br/>
[center][size=15pt][b][u]My Thoughts:[/u][/b][/size][/center]<br/>

Rating: [mr][/mr]
</BODY>
</HTML>

Thanks for this! Pretty damn snazzy and easy. I may have to take advantage here soon.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 07:17:45 AM »
I still haven't figured out the HTML window stuff.   :bag:

Halo2

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 07:38:06 AM »
Welcome from me as well KinkyCyborg.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 07:51:22 AM »

If you want to feel better about writing your own reviews, find anything by someone here called «RossRoy» - most are abysmal! ;)

Or look at the ones written by someone called Tom and you will feel much better ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2010, 07:56:17 AM »
You all have very good suggestions and now I'm a little torn with what to do.  :hmmmm:

I like the idea of keeping all my reviews in one thread for simplicity reasons but I also like and encourage active discussions about the movie in question which may not lend itself well to one big enormous thread. I don't really do marathons as such... I'm weird and I have an archaic system for randomly selecting my movies to watch. Perhaps I might post my review, allow a suitable time period to elapse first (a day? a couple of days?) to allow for some discussion and then move onto my next review. I'm glad you allow for flexibility so that I can experiment as I get my feet wet.  :)

KC

Don't worry. Not for all reviews a discussion will arise. But for the ones it does, it doesn't matter if it's a single thread, a marathon thread or if you already posted another review in the marathon thread in the meantime.