Author Topic: Hi there.  (Read 7710 times)

MEJHarrison

Re: Hi there.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 11:14:42 PM »
Thanks for the code Tom! I didn't realize it was that simple. :thumbup:

Alien Redrum

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 11:17:24 PM »
Hi Kinky!

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »
Hi Kinky!

Hello hello!  ;)

So I have the BB Code all figured out.... that makes things much easier!  Now should I start my own review thread for just my reviews, or do I start a separate thread for each individual title? I've seen a bit of both in the review section but I wondered if there was a preferred method. I have some reviews that are pretty much ready to go from my own site... just have to import them over. 

KC

lyonsden5

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 11:56:27 PM »
Some use threads for a theme type review for multiple movies. Others use threads for random type reviews for multiple movies. Some post individual threads for each movie. Some do all of the above. Some do none of the above. Whatever floats you boat.

Personally I like looking at themed type threads (time travel, Alfred Hitchcock, etc.). It really doesn't matter though since everything is updated weekly and you can find a movie review for any movie by name through the links above. 

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 11:59:17 PM »
Personally I usually only use threads for themes and a random one for the rest. Sometimes I like to go back and look through my reviews and the comments and this way it is much easier to do that.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 12:13:06 AM »
It really doesn't matter though since everything is updated weekly and you can find a movie review for any movie by name through the links above. 
Just a little precision about the review index that I need to make. I place only the review who are writen by our members for our forum, maybe it can sound not great but it's the reason why I've created it more than 2 years ago. It's a lot of works to maintain the index and since the reviews appears on the front page I prefer to focus on DVDCOL exclusivity.

Of course, you're free to post them the way you like ;D

Critter

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 12:47:54 AM »
And once again I am late to the welcomes... but I am here now, Welcome to DVDCOL KC! I hope you stick around and enjoy your time here!

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 12:59:35 AM »
Given that my viewing habits are rather random, (I actually use a random number generator to select which movie I will watch next) I think I'll start a KinkyCyborg Reviews thread and go from there. Jimmy, when I said that I have completed reviews on another site I didn't mean I was just going to post a link to the other review. I much prefer to present them in the existing format you guys have here, and I all I planned on doing was to cut and paste some comments about the films and insert them into the My Thoughts section of the review here. I'll likely be doing some editing as I go as some of my comments may have been directed to particular users. Also note that I watch at least one movie every day so I will be providing plenty of fresh reviews as well.  :thumbup:

KC

MEJHarrison

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 01:02:36 AM »
All this talk of reviews is almost enough to make me want to try.  But my strength lies in writing computer code, not something to be read by the general public.  :P

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 01:09:33 AM »
Personally I like looking at themed type threads (time travel, Alfred Hitchcock, etc.). It really doesn't matter though since everything is updated weekly and you can find a movie review for any movie by name through the links above. 

I like to do mine individually so that if someone wants to comment on it or start a discussion about the film, say 6-9 months after I posted it, they don't have multiple reviews following the one they want to discuss.

RossRoy

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 01:12:06 AM »
All this talk of reviews is almost enough to make me want to try.  But my strength lies in writing computer code, not something to be read by the general public.  :P

If you want to feel better about writing your own reviews, find anything by someone here called «RossRoy» - most are abysmal! ;)

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »
Given that my viewing habits are rather random, (I actually use a random number generator to select which movie I will watch next) I think I'll start a KinkyCyborg Reviews thread and go from there. Jimmy, when I said that I have completed reviews on another site I didn't mean I was just going to post a link to the other review. I much prefer to present them in the existing format you guys have here, and I all I planned on doing was to cut and paste some comments about the films and insert them into the My Thoughts section of the review here. I'll likely be doing some editing as I go as some of my comments may have been directed to particular users. Also note that I watch at least one movie every day so I will be providing plenty of fresh reviews as well.  :thumbup:

KC

Hi Kinky, I'm new here also and decided I would use individual threads for longer reviews and a single thread for my short ones.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 01:24:05 AM »
If you want to feel better about writing your own reviews, find anything by someone here called «RossRoy» - most are abysmal! ;)
But do you think you can beat this one from Eric :

Conspiracy of Silence

Not a great a movie but not bad either.

No offense Eric :tease:

Critter

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 01:26:10 AM »
You will find your own way of reviewing eventually, there's no strict way it has to be done here, you can do it anyway at all that you want. I personally like to keep it all in one thread for reviews of TV Show episodes or of themed marathons. Just off the cuff reviews though I somtimes post in singles threads... yet I have one thread where I keep all of them as well. If they are kept all in one thread there is never any difficulty finding them due to the archives that Jimmy manages so well at the top of the page.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 01:28:13 AM »

Let me tell you this Mark...

English grammar and literature were my absolutely worse subjects when I was in school. I just never became interested in writing, I was more of a logic, science and history person. Sort of a cross between Mr. Spock and Mr. Peabody.  ;)

A few years ago, someone over at DVDSpot posted a request for more members to write reviews. I never thought, with my past history, that my writing would be even slightly interesting, let alone grammatically coherent. But I decided one night to give it a shot. Needless to say the one paragraph review I wrote for Capra's It Happened One Night, was pretty amateurish from a format and structural point of view. But one person commented favorably on an observation I had made concerning a character in the film, and a feeling of euphoria swept over me. Having someone show respect for something you've written is like a strong drug that becomes addictive.

I started increasing the length of my reviews and paid attention, through my word processor's grammar check function, to the mistakes I was making. Now, thanks to that tool, I hardly ever make grammar mistakes. It took one comment to spur me on to write and in turn, learn proper grammar. :thumbup:       

Basically my point is this, if you just write the same way you would if you were having a conversation with someone about the film, you'd be amazed how coherent your musings can be sometimes. Give it a shot.