Author Topic: Raising Cain (1992) R2 United Kingdom  (Read 735 times)

samuelrichardscott

Raising Cain (1992) R2 United Kingdom
« on: May 24, 2010, 02:34:50 PM »

The Film:

There are very few people who have directed films that hundreds of thousands of people across the world still buy everytime there is a new release, though I'm sure Brian De Palma can say he is one of these men with great satisfaction thanks to his 1983 film Scarface. Very few films get as high a cult status as Scarface has achieved. But that isn't the only great film he made as his films from the seventies and eighties go to prove. Flms such as Carrie, Dressed To Kill and Casualties Of War. He showed no sign of slowing down in the nineties either with smash hits Mission: Impossible and Snake Eyes. Then the 21st century happened and he made the extremely crappy film Mission To Mars, followed by the average Femme Fatale. Raising Cain fits nicely in his CV between his glory days, and his new found, um, not glory days, but which side does the film lead more towards?

The film stars John Lithgow (TV's 3rd Rock From The Sun, Cliffhanger) as psychologist Carter Nix, a loving husband and devoted father who takes a year off his work to help raise his daughter. At least that is what his wife, Jenny (Lolita Davidovich - Mystery, Alaska) thinks. Everyone believes Carter's father to be dead after allegedly commiting suicide after jumping bail from being arrested for attempting to buy babies in order to perform psycological experiments. In fact, Carter's father is alive and well and is using Carter's multiple personality disorder to murder mothers and babysitters and steal their children. Will the police catch them before it's too late though?

I'm happy to report that this film sides more towards Brian De Palma's glory days. It's a suspenseful film that definately keeps your attention throughout and the cast is a good one, with Lithgow goving one of the best perfomances I've seen from him as a barmy git. The story is tight and there are a few twists and turns that also keep you guessing throughout. However, there is something that bugs me and I don't know what it is. The movie just seemed to lack that something to make it an extraordinary film and I just can't place my finger on what though I think the difference in De Palma's visualistic stylings from his earlier films certainly have a part to play. The film is recommended, but hardcore De Palma fans may come away a little underwhelmed at the whole experience.

The DVD:

Video:
Universal have given us an anamorphic transfer set at 1.78:1 (OAR = 1.85:1) and it's what you would come to expect. It isn't fantastic with some pretty bad contrast and the colour clarity can also leave a ot to be desired. At the same time, it isn't a poor transfer either and I'm guessing that this film just wasn't that high on Universal's list of titles to spend money on. Subtitles are available in various languages including English.

Audio:
We have been give a choice of two audio tracks, both of which are Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround. You can choose either English or Hungarian, so obviously I chose the film's original English language track. The surrounds are used to good effect to push the eerie 'chills down your spine' feel but a 5.1 track would've certainly made it even more atmospheric. Dialogue is always clear and volume evels consistent, and like the picture, with a bit more money it could've been great, but what we've been given is fine.

Extras:

Unfortunately, just a trailer.