Author Topic: Lost in Yonkers (1993) R2 United Kingdom  (Read 696 times)

samuelrichardscott

Lost in Yonkers (1993) R2 United Kingdom
« on: May 24, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »

The Film:

Most movies, even low budget ones, have a name attached to it that everyone knows, usually someone who has headlined a major blockbuster in the past. A name that people recognise and will go out and buy a film just because it has a certain name attached. Lost In Yonkers is a little different though, because there is no star that I would call 'major' in the film but a couple who usually play second fiddle to a more established actor/actress in big films. They are Richard Dreyfuss (Jaws, The American President) and Mercedes Ruehl (Married To The Mob, Last Action Hero). Director Martha Coolidge is also well known, but has never been attached to a film that has been a massive success. Despite the 'second tier' cast and crew however, there is a first rate name attached to Lost In Yonkers and that name is Neil Simon (The Odd Couple), one of the most successful play writers of recent times.

The film is set in 1943, and follows two young boys, Jacob (Brad Stoll) and Arthur (Mike Damus) whose Dad must pay back a loan shark the $9000 he borrowed to pay for the medical care of his wife. To do this, he must work aware for ten months selling scrap metal so leaves the kids with their hard nosed Grandma Kurnitz (Irene Worth) who runs a small ice cream diner. Also living in the house is the mentally challenged Auntie Bella (Ruehl) and gangster Uncle Louie (Dreyfuss) - at least when he's on the run. As the film progresses, we see the trials and tribulations of the family as they try to overcome greed and other things that are splitting the family apart.

Lost In Yonkers is to put it quite frankly, a great film. The story is intelligent and very witty and I loved the fact that the film takes the time to tell the stories of all the family members, developing them nicely and getting you to like or dislike as you are meant to, through a great mix of drama and comedy. The acting is very good and it really makes me wonder why neither Dreyfuss or Ruehl are not headlining any major features whilst the utmost disappearence of a career for Stoll and occasional episode tv hell for Damus is very surprising. If you want a good heartwarming coming of age film thats suitable for the entire family on a Sunday afternoon, then Lost In Yonkers is definately the film for you. Beware though, it is about fifteen minutes overlong causing a bit of daydreaming.

The DVD:

Video:
Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment have given Lost In Yonkers an anamorphic transfer at a 1.78:1 aspect ratio (OAR = 1.85:1) and it's the transfer it deserves. Although not groundbreaking, colours give the film a very forties feel, and there is little grain or dirt on the print. The only downside I found was a little edge enhancement but it isn't particularly noticeable. Subtitles have been provided in a whopping 21 languages including English.

Audio:
We have been give a choice of five audio tracks for this release, all of which are Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround in either the original English or dubbed into French, German, Italian or Spanish. Obviously I watched the film in it's native English and the track was pretty good. The surrounds weren't used as much as they could've been but the overall ambience was a nice one. Dialogue was always clear and music levels consistent. Obviously a 5.1 track would've been a great addition.

Extras:

Unfortunately, just a trailer.