Author Topic: Simon and Laura (1955) R2 United Kingdom  (Read 864 times)

samuelrichardscott

Simon and Laura (1955) R2 United Kingdom
« on: May 24, 2010, 02:21:02 PM »

The Film:

There are a lot of films and television programs out there that focus on filming an individual or a family, with the most well known being The Osbournes, EdTV and The Truman show. However, when this film came out in 1955 they weren't under the barrage of a reality TV surge that we are in now. They didn't have to contend with crap like Pop Idol and Big Brother. This film, directed by Muriel Box (Subway in the Sky, Rattle of a Simple Man), differs from the likes of The Osbournes (other than the obvious fact that one is real life, and one is pretend), due to Simon And Laura being based on a scripted television serial.

Peter Finch (Far From The Madding Crowd, Network) plays Simon Foster, an actor who is well known, yet is going through a very slow period of his career. His wife, Laura (Kay Kendall - Doctor In The House, The Reluctant Debutante), is going through the same career troubles. With the stress of both not doing particularly well, their marriage is on the way to divorce, until a producer comes to their house for an idea of a television show. At first, before they even find out what the show will be about, they flat out refuse because nobody does well in television, only cinema. Eventually they agree, and the show becomes an overnight ratings success, despite them playing themselves as a very successful and loving couplem when they are actually feuding. After sixty or so episodes, ratings start to deteriorate so the producers add a young boy to the cast and try several other things to try and boost the show to the success it once was. Will the marriage survive though?

The film is actually a pretty mediocre comedy, with almost no belly laughs and just small little jokes that only manage to raise a smile. The story is a good idea, but the acting isn't particularly anything noteworthy, with none of the performances being any better than average. Despite being a couple the viewers are suppose to like, I also found Simon and Laura to the opposite and pretty unlikeable, causing me not to care if the show was a success or not. The script can be witty at times, but so often, fails to amuse and the comic timing isn't exactly spot on. The film is a good way to waste an afternoon if you have nothing else to watch, but I would really only recommend it to big fans of British comedy and fans of romantic comedies. I'm a fan of both, and would still say rent before you buy.

The DVD:

Video:
Network have provided the film with an anamorphic transfer set at 1.78:1. Although many films are slightly cropped from 1.85:1 to 1.78:1 in order to fit widescreen televisions exactly without any major problems, Simon And Laura really should've stayed at 1.85:1 to stop the slight cutting of people heads (usually just the hair) as well as losing a little of the opening credits on both the right and left sides. The print itself is quite good with minor edge enhancement and little grain. The cropping lets it down though.

Audio:
Network have provided us with the original English Dolby Digital Mono track here and it's OK. The film is mainly dialogue aimed and there would be no need for an upmixed stereo or surround track. Dialogue was clear at all times and music levels consistent with minimal background hiss. I did hear the occasional crackle but all in all, it's an adequate track.

Extras:

Just an image gallery.