Author Topic: The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1972) R2 United Kingdom  (Read 702 times)

samuelrichardscott

The Film:

Before I even start to write this review, I have a little secret that I must admit to. Despite watching around a thousand films a year, I am yet to take the time to sit and watch a film by leading German director Rainer Werner Fassbinder. Fassbinder is well known as one of the most influential directors ever, not only in German cinema, but worldwide. He was a massive figure in the rise of 'new wave' German cinema, making a large array of films usually involving gay or lesbian characters (Fassbinder was himself gay), something that was still a taboo. In fact, so many believe it is thanks to him that this 'new wave' became successful that when Fassbinder committed suicide by taking a drugs overdose in 1982, many said it was the end of that cinematic era.

The Bitter Tears Of Petra Von Kant is one of Fassbinders most well known films, focusing around successful fashion designer Petra Von Kant (Margit Carstensen) as she falls in love with fashion model Karin Thimm (Hanna Schygulla). It doesn't take long for Petra's love to become an obsession as they argue constantly about Karin being mean. Soon enough, Karin decides to leave Petra, and we watch as she must come to terms with being left. In the background of all this is Marlene (Irm Hermann), Petra's secretary and co-designer who despite making Petra as successful as she is, gets treated like crap and, to a lesser extent, even as a slave.

This extremely delicate and dialogue driven film requires a lot of focus and attention to keep up with Petra's mood swings as she goes from one extreme to the other. The acting by all six people involved is astounding and the story is good, but the film becomes boring at times with long intervals where nothing much is happening. There's no score to speak of and even the opening titles are silent apart from a tapping noise. Filmed entirely on one set (Petra's apartment), the movie is visually a joy to watch, with different backgrounds being sed to show Petra's emotions (most noticeable with her change of wigs). Everything about the film has something going for it but perhaps if Fassbinder had trimmed it down a little I would've found this to be a lot more entertaining rather than feeling a little bored throughout. Said to be based on a part of Fassbinder's own life, this would be an essential purchase for fans of Fassbinder and 'new wave' German cinema, but for me, it is only worth buying if you can get it in a sale.

Picture:
Arrow Films have presented us with the a fullscreen transfer at 4:3, which is obviously non-anamorphic. The picture is nice, though parts could have been cared for a bit better. Skin tones appered a bit dark but the backgrounds were shown with clarity. Other than minor grain and dirt there are no other underlying problems with this print.

Audio:
Arrow have provided us with a German Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo track. Dialogue is clear throughout and due to the fact there is no music in the film, anything more than a stereo track would've been a waste of effort and a waste of money for Arrow. Despite dialogue always being clear, there was th odd crackle in the track and background hiss was evident throughout which spoils the rating I'm going to give it. Optional English subtitles have been included and they are clear and easy to read at all times.

Extras:
Arrow have treated us to a couple of worthwhile extras on this release. We start with a documentary entitled End of the Commune. It features plenty of behind the scenes footage, from cast members of the antitheatre reading a script, to footage of people entering a theatre to watch Anarchie In Bayern. Fassbinder also talks about how the antitheatre came about and how the name relates to the groups structure and programme. He talks about his relationship with his Dad and most enjoyable is when he talks to a reporter who is asking how he feels about the bad reviews critics have given him and his plays in Berlin. The only problem with the 47 minute documentary is the picture quality which is frankly awful, though I doubt a better print was available.

The other extra on this disc is a 45 minute interview with Fassbinder's friend and colleague Harry Baer who was the second unit director on The Bitter Tears Of Petra Von Kant. The interview is only available as a play all option but is split into different subjects by title screens:
- Antitheatre
- Katzelmachel
- Gods of the Plague
- Assistant Director
- Beware of a Holy Whore
- Merchant of Four Seasons
- The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant
- Fox and His Friends
- Satan's Brew
- Marriage of Maria Braun
- Hanna Schygulla
- Berlin Alexander Platz
- Final Chapter
He is very informative throughout this interview telling us a lot about Fassbinder and making films with him as an actor, production manager and assistant/second unit director. A worthy edition.

An extremely good booklet with notes by Jim Clark is also included.