Author Topic: Man About the House: Series 3 (1974) R2 United Kingdom  (Read 2896 times)

samuelrichardscott@yahoo.

Man About the House: Series 3 (1974) R2 United Kingdom
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:36:09 AM »

The Show:
Network DVD have now released the entire third series of the popular 1970's comedy television show Man About The House. The show follows a couple of London girls, Chrissy (Paula Wilcox) and Jo (Sally Thomsett) who need a third girl to share their flat with them as their previous housemate has moved on. Instead of finding a third girl though, they find Robin Tripp (Richard O'Sullivan) lying in a bathtub at a farewell party. Robin is a student chef, and whilst the move isn't particularly viewed as great with landlord George Roper (Brian Murphy), his wife Mildred (Yootha Joyce) is intrigued. Series three follows on from the first two. Much hilarity ensues over the 7 episodes included in the third series which I will now delve a little deeper into...

Cuckoo In The Nest - Larry was only supposed to live at the flat but a couple of days but has been there for two weeks. The girls and Robin are all getting sick of him, so convince their landlords to allow him to move into the attic, providing he cleans and decorates it himself.

Come Into My Parlour - Chrissy becomes a bit upset at the fact that Robin is dating an old school friend of hers and does everything in her power to try and not leave them by themselves. Eventually she is forced to look at George's holiday photos.

I Won't Dance, Don't Ask Me - Chrissy and Jo are going to a works party and decide to invite Robin to go along with them. Robin isn't quite so thrilled at the prospect of having to dance or go to the party, causing laughs for everyone.

Of Mice And Woman - The title misrepresents this episode and it has extremely little in common with the famous novel, however it is a good play on words for the episode which sees the girl's room taken over by a mouse, which Robin takes to his advantage.

Somebody Out There Likes Me - Both Chrissy and Mildred find out they have secret admirers. Whilst Mildred couldn't care less, her husband George is keen to find out who her admirer is, as is Chrissy to find out who her secret admirer is.

We Shall Not Be Moved - With his wife Mildred going away for a long weekend, George decides it is an ideal opportunity to try and trick Chrissy, Jo and Robin into leaving the flat, leaving him with some peace and quiet. Will they go quietly though?

Three Of A Kind - Robin falls ill before a poker game, and must go to the hospital to get his tonsils taken out. Chrissy takes his place for the poker game, but she hasn't got a clue how to play the skillful card game. Will she win, or will she lose?

All in all, the episodes are disappointing, and haven't got the same charm as previous series. The episodes are also not as funny. If you have the first two series though, and thoroughly enjoyed them, chances are, you'll enjoy this.

The DVD:
Video:
Network have provided a reasonable transfer for the show, in the OAR of 4:3. However, it isn't without it's problems. The opening credit sequence suffers from too much grain and the colours are very light and washed out (particularly the outdoors scenes in the credits. The show itself however, is a slight improvement over the credits and is certainly watchable. There is noticeable grain, yet not as much. No subtitles have been included.

Audio:
The original English track in 2.0 Dual Mono is provided here, and it's pretty good. The dialogue is clear and the music levels consistent. No complaints.

Extras:
None.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Man About the House: Series 3 (1974) R2 United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:09:51 AM »
I just happened upon your review of this series, and I must say that I really like this show. I picked up the complete series as a blind buy after reading someone's review of Season 1. It's amazing how appallingly bad the American version, Three's Company truly was, compared to this.

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:04:05 PM »
You really are an Anglo-phile, aren't you?  :laugh: Even 70s sitcoms... I'm impressed.

Ever seen The Good Life? That's my fave old school sitcom and it has nothing to do with Felicity Kendall...  :-[

One of the cable channels just repeats this sorts of programs all day and today they were doing first and last episode double-bills. It was fun seeing how The Good Life started. I wish they'd do a follow up. Although Paul Eddington is sadly gone now, it would be funny seeing how far self-sufficiency had gone for the Goods.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:15:11 PM »
Seeing as how some of the big TV hits from the 70's were actually based upon British shows, I've always been interested in seeing them. Unlike a lot of Americans, I understand and enjoy the British sense of humor.  ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:09:13 AM »
Seeing as how some of the big TV hits from the 70's were actually based upon British shows, I've always been interested in seeing them. Unlike a lot of Americans, I understand and enjoy the British sense of humor.  ;)
While actually older, but how about All in the Family...? Is that also based off a British original...?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 05:42:12 AM »
I've liked some British shows that I've seen..well..most of them that I've seen.  :)

I just haven't seen that many of them. 

I did see episodes of Spaced online and I really liked it and want the DVD set now.  I've been watching the price on it for almost a year.  Maybe I'll try to find some other shows online.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 06:48:45 AM »
While actually older, but how about All in the Family...? Is that also based off a British original...?

The program was Til Death Us Do Part

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 07:20:28 AM »
The program was Til Death Us Do Part
See, here I was thinking our German version "Ein Herz und eine Seele" (which I just ordered...) was a remake of the American one, when in fact things go a lot deeper.

Other than the US version the German version only has 25 episodes, but they are some of the funniest stuff made in Germany.

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:58:22 AM »
Unfortunately Til Death Do Us Part is rarely seen now as it isn't "Politically Correct". ::)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 02:53:07 AM »
Unfortunately Til Death Do Us Part is rarely seen now as it isn't "Politically Correct". ::)
Neither is the German equivalent, which was the great fun of the show. I think that's paert of the idea in the first place, that the father gets to say and do stuff "normal" people cannot?

Makes it all the more interesting now.

Hmmm, just now looking at Amazon. There is something thatlooks like a movie called "Til Death Do Us Part", from 1969, and the TV series is called "In Sickness And In Health"...? ...and now I found a series called "Till Death Us Do Part" (funny how thi shas one more "L").

EDIT:
I shouldn't browse Amazon and type at the same time. Well, it seems "In Sickness And In Health" was kind of a rehashing from the 80s, whereas "Til(l) Death Do Us Part" is the original from the 60s, which might have had a movie as well. Wondering if I should get the movie as a taster before deciding to get more... :hmmmm:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 03:01:10 AM by Achim »