Author Topic: Iron Man 2  (Read 4053 times)

Critter

Iron Man 2
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:31:25 AM »
Iron Man 2

Director: Jon Favreau

Writer: Justin Theroux (screenplay)
Stan Lee (Marvel comic book) ...

Plot: Billionaire Tony Stark must contend with deadly issues involving the government, his own friends, as well as new enemies due to his superhero alter ego Iron Man.

Cast:

Robert Downey Jr. - Tony Stark
Gwyneth Paltrow - Pepper Potts
Don Cheadle - Lt. Col. James 'Rhodey' Rhodes
Scarlett Johansson - Natalie Rushman / Natasha Romanoff
Sam Rockwell - Justin Hammer
Mickey Rourke - Ivan Vanko
Samuel L. Jackson - Nick Fury

My Thoughts

So I saw Iron Man 2 last night on it’s opening day in Australia. I did quite enjoy the first one but for some reason I didn’t have extremely high expectations for this one, and because of that I think I was able to enjoy it more. This film was extremely fun to see at the cinema but it didn’t have quite the lasting impression of the first one and unlike some other films I have been seeing lately, I don’t have the urge to see it again. Like I said though a great couple of hours of entertainment, just maybe not quite living up to it’s predecessor.

The film looked great, the design on the suits and the other robots that entered at the end was fantastic, and the animation for them was flawless. The sound was fantastic, I may as well have been on a battlefield several times in the film and that’s one of the reasons that if you want to see this, you should see it in the cinema.

I can’t quite pinpoint exactly what it is that made this one feel lackluster to the first, I can’t seem to put it down to any one aspect although I must say that after the first, the plot in this at some parts felt very repetitive. One part in particular annoyed me a bit as they seemed to make the exact same mistake as they did in the first… these people never seem to learn.

One thing that was actually a major highlight for me was the addition of Scarlett Johansson as Natalie Rushman or The Black Widow. Her character was fantastic, and while I think she did have quite a bit of screen time I feel they should have developed her more throughout the film. One scene in particular, a fight scene of hers was beautiful to watch, it was like watching art, or ballet. Fight scenes in films are something that have become quite repetitive, but there was something unique about how this character fought that was a joy to behold… my only complaint being that there was not enough of it.

Rating: 3/5

P.S- You may have noticed I have decided to start posting cinema reviews here in single threads like Antares and Marie do. I will still use my other thread as somewhat of a ledger though.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Man 2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
I saw Iron Man 2 last night too. Thanks to above review my expectations had thankfully been lowered. Still, somehow the film failed to grab me like the first one. For one it seemed in many places like they were trying too hard to recapture what they had with the first one. Then I myself had a big issue with the section where iron man looses it and lets himself go; I think I mentioned this about another movie before, I just feel it's inappropriate to let the supposed hero sink THAT low. Sure, give him problems, let him get frustrated and blow off steam, but here it was overdone. It's one part where Spider-Man 3 failed as well.

But, besides that rather dreadful middle part, I really enjoyed the first section and the finale. The climactic battle was more exciting than the fight in the first film. In my opinion Robert Downey, Jr. did a good job again, but sometimes was either pushed too far by the director or simply overdid it himself. I very much enjoyed the rest of the cast though, especially Mickey Rourke (his career started promising, then he fell really low and now he rarely seems to fail...), but also Sam Rockwell. Don Cheadle was good, but somehow I wished they had kept Terrence Howard, I always seemed to imagine him when I saw Don :shrug:

I overall a strong .

Rogmeister

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 05:48:17 PM »
Now that Iron Man 2 is out, I guess it's time for me to finally watch Iron Man 1  :laugh:

I see Samuel L. Jackson is Nick Fury...was he also in the first film?  Of course, Nick Fury was always a white guy in the comics... :hmmmm:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:01:16 PM »
I see Samuel L. Jackson is Nick Fury...was he also in the first film?  Of course, Nick Fury was always a white guy in the comics... :hmmmm:

(click to show/hide)

The Ultimate Nick Fury was modeled after Jackson, so it was a nice casting choice to have him play Fury.

Critter

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:57:47 AM »

(click to show/hide)

The Ultimate Nick Fury was modeled after Jackson, so it was a nice casting choice to have him play Fury.

I unfortunatly missed the scene after the credits as by the end of the film I really needed to use to the bathroom. I think I have found out what hapened though from reading online.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 01:02:53 AM »
I unfortunatly missed the scene after the credits as by the end of the film I really needed to use to the bathroom. I think I have found out what hapened though from reading online.

Here you go:

Critter

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 01:52:11 AM »
Thanks for that Tom. That scene seems strange though... I mean they were already talking about the Avengers with Fury in the final scenes of the actual film. It didn't seem to show us anything we didn't already know.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »
Thanks for that Tom. That scene seems strange though... I mean they were already talking about the Avengers with Fury in the final scenes of the actual film. It didn't seem to show us anything we didn't already know.

I just happen to rewatch Iron Man. Towards the end they reveal that the agents are working for S.H.I.E.L.D., nothing more.
Fury and the Avenger mission only come up after the credits.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »
I'm just back from seeing Iron Man 2..I really liked it.  I do think the story worked..especially since I've learned more about Tony/Iron Man from the comics.  he's gone much lower in them.  I think it fits for him to have a bit of a ...breakdown, especially with what he was facing at that point.

Did you mean you missed the scene after the credits for this movie?  Because the scene at the end of this one is different.  The one Tom linked is from the first movie.

Critter

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 12:38:34 AM »
So what actually happened at the end of the credits in Iron Man 2 then. I'm still a little shady on the details.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 02:35:49 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Critter

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »
Thanks for that Marie. If I see it again I will make sure I wait until the end but I'm not sure if I will be seeing this one again.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 02:16:37 AM »
I got to say... I am surprised at how low people are rating this one. I loved every second of it! I sat there watching this movie that ran just over 2hrs.... but I was so into it that it felt like I was sitting there for only about half an hour! I enjoyed everything about this one... the video looked amazing.... the audio fantastic... the story I really don't see how it could have been any better. I am sure I said this when I first watched the first one... I normally can't stand Robert Downey, Jr. but he plays the perfect Tony Stark! I also liked how they did Whiplash.... and as was said earlier in this thread... Black Widow was very cool as well! I loved her fight scene! And I was thrilled with the final scene after the end credits! When the end credits started my sis in law and her kids started to leave... I told them not to go anywhere... there is always a final scene after the credits.

Anyway... I found this to be an amazingly fun time... And I personally would give it a perfect score!
Pete

addicted2comics(:P)

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 02:24:43 AM »
I'll back my dad up on this, it was definitely a 5 out of 5 movie!!!

I'll go into more detail in the review I'll put up tomorrow, but it was awesome! And that's coming from a fan of marvel, the type that likes to nitpick at stuff the movie people mess up from in the comics. And I'll say another thing, Robert Downey Jr is PERFECT for the Iron Man role!!  :thumbup:

And how often does it happen when my father wants to watch the same movie right after he watches it the first timke around?? I have the same feeling! I was always in awe in every second in this movie, it had laughs, I highly recommend it to anybody!!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 06:21:19 AM »
the video looked amazing....
:stars: Where did you watch this...? :P

Anyway, I think the reason for some of the lower ratings may be how one approaches the film. I think some of the issues are related to whether you see it as a stand-alone film or as part of the Marvel Universe. I have not read any of the comics or seen any cartoon, so for me, e.g. the lackluster involvement of "this Nick Fury guy" was stanger than for people who know the point of it all.