Author Topic: Addicted2dvd's Random TV Series Watched  (Read 250707 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: What I Been Watching...
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2008, 04:15:10 PM »
LOL... that is definitely a big plus! :drooling:

But seriously... if you enjoyed the first few episodes I am sure you will enjoy the other 5 as well. You just need to decide if it is worth it to get all the episodes... knowing ahead of time that there won't be any more episodes. I personally like having all the episodes whether there will be more or not.

On a side note... Even though I have read several places on the net it was canceled... I have been unable to find anything official from the studios. is it possible that there is a chance to see more? or is it just that I am no good at finding the official announcement?  :P I haven't added it to my completed series list just yet since I am not 100% sure... just a slight doubt.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »
Well, perhaps because she's a British actress, there's half a chance the studios will wait to see if it's popular here before they completely give up. After all, international sales must be a consideration.

I mention it because she appeared on Jonathan Ross's chat show only a few weeks ago to promote it. Would they bother if they thought there was no future in it?

Najemikon

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2008, 04:48:49 PM »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »
And here is is...

Michelle Ryan on Jonathan Ross
This video is not available in your country. :(
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

RossRoy

« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »
But seriously... if you enjoyed the first few episodes I am sure you will enjoy the other 5 as well. You just need to decide if it is worth it to get all the episodes... knowing ahead of time that there won't be any more episodes.

Well, it's a bit late for that. I already bought it!  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »
This video is not available in your country. :(

>:(

And just as I was saying about "international sales" the BBC see fit to stop one of their flagship personalities being shown on the interweb. Idiots.

Anyway, traditionally I hate RealPlayer, but the latest version is one of my most favourite-ist things ever. It allows you to download unprotected Internet video to a local FLV file. Hover your mouse over any video and you get a "Download" button. It's great. So I've tried saving it to my webspace. Download it and see if you can play it (RealPlayer should at least if you have it).

rossryan.flv

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »
But seriously... if you enjoyed the first few episodes I am sure you will enjoy the other 5 as well. You just need to decide if it is worth it to get all the episodes... knowing ahead of time that there won't be any more episodes.

Sorry must of mis-understood your post. :)

Sebastien/Jon...
I just downloaded the video.. worked for me... was a pretty funny clip. Hopefully they will decide to give it another chance. :)
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »
(...)I hate RealPlayer, but the latest version is one of my most favourite-ist things ever. It allows you to download unprotected Internet video to a local FLV file.
I use a Firefox plugin (download helper) for that. Good that it exist since I don't really can watch a youtube files online (conection too slow for that).

Najemikon

« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2008, 06:49:53 PM »
That's handy to know, Jimmy, thanks. The only disadvantage I have found using Firefox versus IE, is that the IE temporary files are easier to find so if you want to save a bunch of images or Flash files, you can find them no bother.

In a classic case of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" :D do you know about the Firefox plugin called NoScript? It stops scripts from running on any webpage which could be anything from videos, animations, even buttons. It's very easy to use to unblock a site and a handy side effect is that ads will still be blocked because they're coming from another site that you haven't authorised. This means regular sites I use load much faster (IMDB for instance is much smoother).

The drawback is you simply have to get used to it. If a site isn't displaying something properly or a button doesn't work, you need to remember to allow it. Also, beware of shopping sites that use a second site to authorise payment. I once lost a CD-WOW voucher because I'd set NoScript to ignore the homepage, but the transaction was cancelled because they tried to send me to WorldPay! Luckily there's a handy option to allow everything which I temporarily switch on for people like that.

Back to the clip, it's unfortunate that the BBC cut it there. After that bit, Ross tries to "attack" her again and she responds properly demonstrating that she really has picked up a few decent techniques from that martial art. The clip suggests that she learned nothing, but she definitely did.

RossRoy

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »
Sorry must of mis-understood your post. :)

Nah. The way it is worded (is that even a word?) could mean that I didn't want to buy it because it's so short.. BUt it's actually that I have bought it, and while I can't wait to watch it, I'm not too eager either because I know I'll be disappointed by its shortness.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2008, 05:39:56 PM »

Invasion: The Complete Series (Disc 1)
Hurricane Eve slams into Homestead, Florida. Its tragic aftermath is what you'd expect: destroyed homes, downed power lines, uprooted lives. And what you wouldn't expect: townspeople eerily and profoundly transformed into... something different. Frighteningly different. And possibly extraterrestrial.

Follow every twist, turn and shocking revelation of this suspenseful series from the mind of Shaun Cassidy as two blended Homestead families, the Varons and the Underlays, uncover the truth about themselves and their town. Their families are just like ours -- loving parents, kids who need guidance, and of course, one black sheep. In this case it's Dave, an amiable out-of-work blogger who sees a conspiracy behind every event and alien behind every conspiracy. 'Only this time he may be right!'

My Thoughts:
This one was basically a blind buy as I only ever saw the pilot before... but thought it showed promise. What can I say... I am now getting addicted to yet another series. I don't know what it is with all these great series only lasting 1 season... I am seeing more and more of them all the time. It seems like the studios are quick to cancel something anymore... not even giving it a chance to find a following. To be fair... this show did last 1 full season... but I don't know if that is enough time to decide if the show should be canceled or not. I guess it depends on just how bad the ratings actually are. Granted I only watched the first disc (4 episodes)... so don't know if it took a turn for the worse or not. But so far I am loving every minute of it.
Pete

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2008, 11:29:55 PM »

IIRC, this came out one year after Lost, together with Threshold and Surface (which, judging by the pilots only, were bad and really bad). Invasion started out even slower than Lost, but unlike the more famous show, I actually liked it, mainly because it managed to create and keep a creepy mood without actually doing much, story-wise. Also, wonderful cinematography. But after the first half of the season, the story picked up pace, things got explained, and I quickly lost interest and stopped watching it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:35:55 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »

The Brady Bunch: The Complete Series (Season 1 Disc 1)
'Here's the story... The COMPLETE story' of America's most beloved TV sitcom family, 'The Brady Bunch!' This groovy and far-out collector's edition features al 117 hilarious episodes on 20 discs plus a special bonus disc featuring new-to-DVD Brady gems: 'The Brady 500', 'A Very Brady Christmas', and two episodes from 'The Brady Kids' animated TV series!

You'll want to re-live the laughs again and again!

It's the way they became 'The Brady Bunch!'

My Thoughts:
For me personally.... The Brady Bunch is no more then a decent show with loads of nostalgia value. I never really considered it a favorite growing up... but I definitely appreciated the show... and happy that I have another show from my childhood in my collection. A show I can now share with my daughter. Of course Brittany wasn't a stranger to this show... as she has seen a good handful of episodes over the years. But atleast now she can watch them as they were meant to be seen... uncut and in the order they came on. She did however love the show... more then I did... so she was thrilled to see it when this set arrived.

I did enjoy watching this first disc. It has been many, many years since I watched any episodes... let alone these early episodes from the first season. The first disc has some trailers for other TV series out on dvd... and more importantly a commentary track on the pilot episode with Sherwood Schwartz... the creator of The Brady Bunch... of course I had to listen to that after I finished off all the episodes. This show not being a huge favorite of mine... this is really the first taste of behind the scenes of the show I every really got... and was a little surprised to learn that Robert Reed (Mike Brady) gave Sherwood Schwartz some difficulties throughout the show.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2008, 02:36:49 PM »

IIRC, this came out one year after Lost, together with Threshold and Surface (which, judging by the pilots only, were bad and really bad). Invasion started out even slower than Lost, but unlike the more famous show, I actually liked it, mainly because it managed to create and keep a creepy mood without actually doing much, story-wise. Also, wonderful cinematography. But after the first half of the season, the story picked up pace, things got explained, and I quickly lost interest and stopped watching it.

Thanks for the heads-up... I will try to keep that in mind as I get further into the series... maybe if I don't expect as much from the later part of the series... I won't be quite as disappointed in it.
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2008, 03:01:41 PM »
Living in Florida for the past 30 years I couldn't get past how bad they portrayed almost everything to do with the hurricane (and the everglades in general). The cast was good as I recall but I never made it past the third episode. FWIW My wife enjoyed the show and continued to watch it for the whole season.

I'll be anxiously awaiting your final thoughts when you finish the season . :thumbup: