Author Topic: Addicted2dvd's Random TV Series Watched  (Read 248167 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted2dvd's Random TV Series Watched
« Reply #885 on: August 31, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »
     Smallville: The Complete Eighth Season (2008/United States)

There's a new reporter at the DAILY PLANET: CLARK KENT, who shares a workspace with LOIS LANE. There's a new hero in METROPOLIS, too. No one knows who he is. But JIMMY OLSEN was on the scene of one of the do-gooder's exploits, and he snapped a blurred photo of the hero in superspeed action — a hero everyone now calls the Red-Blue Blur.

Red-jacketed, blue-shirted Clark Kent draws closer to his SUPERMAN destiny in the exciting 22-episode, 6-disc Season 8 of Smallville . Another KRYPTONIAN destiny also takes shape. DAVIS BLOOME begins to realize he is DOOMSDAY. His mission on Earth: kill Clark Kent. So many new events (will Jimmy and Chloe's marriage last?), so many new faces (TESS MERCER, SATURN GIRLand COSMIC BOY among them!), so many state-of-the-art effects — so don't miss a single thrill-packed moment!

Episodes:
1. Odyssey
2. Plastique
3. Toxic
4. Instinct
5. Committed
6. Prey
7. Identity
8. Bloodline
9. Abyss
10. Bride
11. Legion
12. Bulletproof
13. Power
14. Requiem
15. Infamous
16. Turbulance
17. Hex
18. Eternal
19. Stiletto
20. Beast
21. Injustice
22. Doomsday

Stars:
Tom Welling as Clark Kent
Allison Mack as Chloe Sullivan
Erica Durance as Lois Lane
Aaron Ashmore as Jimmy Olsen
Cassidy Freeman as Tess Mercer
Sam Witwer as Davis Bloom
Justin Hartley as Oliver Queen

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This morning I have finished the 8th season of the series. This season I enjoyed a lot. I enjoyed how they did Doomsday in it. This season adds the character Tess Mercer. She is one that I can't say I really liked... but I didn't dislike her either. Pretty much a feeling of indifference.

Since I just watched Season 9 of this show the first week of this month (what prompted me to watch the series from the start again)... I really don't feel the need to watch it again now. But I have officially watched 9 seasons of Smallville in only one month!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 31, 2011, 06:47:50 PM »
     All-American Girl: The Complete Series: Disc 3 (1994/United States)

Ratting On Ruthie
(Original air date 11/23/94)
A case of expensive perfume vanishes while Ruthie is away from the counter and Margaret must decide what to tell management. And for the first time in her life her mother doesn't have any advice for her.

Educating Margaret
(Original air date 11/30/04)
Margaret dates a British film professor and is disappointed to learn that he is a complete bore in spite of his interesting work.

Loveless In San Francisco
(Original air date 12/7/94)
Margaret is in a "dating slump," so Stuart suggests that she volunteer at the hospital to meet guys.

Malpractice Makes Perfect
(Original air date 12/14/94)
Stuart's mistake at the hospital amuses Margaret — until he decides to give up his medical career.

The Apartment
(Original air date 1/11/95)
Margaret, Ruthie and Gloria move into an apartment together; soon Margaret and Ruthie make the shocking discovery that Gloria likes to spend her time at home in the nude.

Stars:
Margaret Cho as Margaret Kim
Jodi Long as Katherine Kim
Clyde Kusatsu as Benny Kim
Amy Hill as Grandma
Maddie Corman as Ruthie
Ashley Johnson as Casey Emmerson
Judy Gold as Gloria

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I just completed disc 3 (of 4) of the Complete Series set. Still enjoying the series. As I said before... this is a show I haven't seen since it originally aired. It is a little difficult to pick a favorite episode on this disc. But if I had to... I guess I would go with The Apartment.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 31, 2011, 11:43:15 PM »
     The Office: Season One (2005/United States)

Steve Carell (The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Daily Show) stars in The Office, a fresh and funny mockumentary-style glimpse into the daily interactions of the eccentric workers at the Dunder Mifflin paper supply company. Based on the smash-hit British series of the same name and adapted for American Television by Greg Daniels (King of the Hill, The Simpsons), this fast-paced comedy parodies contemporary American water-cooler culture. Earnest but clueless regional manager Michael Scott (Carell) believes himself to be an exceptional boss and mentor, but actually receives more eye-rolls than respect from his oddball staff. Entertainment Weekly calls The Office "smart and trenchant", and all six hilarious season one episodes are available here on DVD for the first time. The awkward silences in The Office will have you laughing out loud!

Episodes:
1. Pilot
2. Diversity Day
3. Health Care
4. The Alliance
5. Basketball
6. Hot Girl

Stars:
Steve Carell as Michael Scott
Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly
B. J. Novak [B.J. Novak] as Ryan Howard
Melora Hardin as Jan
David Denman as Roy

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Episode Synopsis

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever seen an episode of The Office. What is my first impression of the series. Not bad... but it really didn't impress me all that much. I found it to be a little on the stupid side. But there was some laughs in it for me as well. Of course, I realize that what with it having only 6 episodes in the first season... it really didn't have the chance to hit it's stride yet. And I did hear it got better in the second season. My favorite character in the series so far would have to be the receptionist... Pam. The nice girl with a jerk of a boyfriend. Anyway... like I said... the show really didn't impress me too much going by this first season. I would say it is somewhere between an average and good series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #888 on: August 31, 2011, 11:49:05 PM »
Of course, I realize that what with it having only 6 episodes in the first season... it really didn't have the chance to hit it's stride yet.

Most shows in the UK, especially comedy are only 6 episodes and most are just a couple of seasons long. Personally I prefer this as it usually results in far higher quality instead of dragging things out or stretching jokes over 24 episodes. Probably why there are so few US comedy shows that agree with me tbh. Have you seen the original UK show? Only 12 episodes over two series with some specials. Will always be remembered as a classic instead of people saying "it lost it's way in the 140th episode in season 7".

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #889 on: August 31, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
Of course, I realize that what with it having only 6 episodes in the first season... it really didn't have the chance to hit it's stride yet.

Most shows in the UK, especially comedy are only 6 episodes and most are just a couple of seasons long. Personally I prefer this as it usually results in far higher quality instead of dragging things out or stretching jokes over 24 episodes. Probably why there are so few US comedy shows that agree with me tbh. Have you seen the original UK show? Only 12 episodes over two series with some specials. Will always be remembered as a classic instead of people saying "it lost it's way in the 140th episode in season 7".

Usually I would agree, but I love the US version of the Office. It may have it up and downs, but I really like the characters (which found their footing in the second season). I first saw the original Office and really liked it, but I have to admit, that the US version grew on me. I have the feeling, that Pete would enjoy further seasons of the US version more than the original.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #890 on: August 31, 2011, 11:56:48 PM »
I haven't seen enough episodes of the US version to give a full opinion, but so far, US wise, I love the animated comedies (Simpsons, Family Guy etc), Frasier and Scrubs. Then there are a ton I can watch but feel indifferent to. Started to catch the odd episode of The Big Bang Theory and digging that so going to pick up the first season at some point.

I heard Carrell had left the US version? How has the show been without the US version of David Brent?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 01, 2011, 12:18:01 AM »
Nope... I never seen either version of the show until today. Though I am will to give both versions of the show (more of) a chance. :)
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 01, 2011, 12:25:24 AM »
I heard Carrell had left the US version? How has the show been without the US version of David Brent?

I have heard, that the seventh season is his last. And I am currently watching it. It just has been released on DVD. I haven't seen it before. I don't know yet if he leaves during the season or at the end (I avoided spoilers). If it's the end, then there isn't yet an episode without him, as the eighth season hasn't started yet, I think.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 01, 2011, 12:28:10 AM »
Looked it up... the 8th season starts Sept. 22nd.
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #894 on: September 01, 2011, 12:30:03 AM »
Ah, I wasn't sure when or if he had yet to leave. btw, if you enjoyed the UK version, I highly recommend an earlier BBC show called Operation Good Guys. It's also filmed as an awkward documentary but set in a police station and completely hilarious. I really need to pick up the DVD's but have watched so many times I keep pushing other things in front of it in the buying queue.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 01, 2011, 12:31:14 AM »
Personally I think that The Office can work without Steve Carell, even if he is great in it. Contrary to the original, the US version is very much an ensemble show. The original wouldn't work without Brent though.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 02, 2011, 12:02:26 AM »
     Dollhouse: Season One Disc One (2009/United States)

1. Ghost
To help free a kidnapped daughter of a wealthy businessman who has connections to the Dollhouse, Echo takes on the persona, memories and experiences of a skilled hostage negotiator to keep the police out of the case and recover the child unharmed. Complications ensue when the persona's experiences affect Echo's actions. Meanwhile, a search for the mythical Dollhouse puts an FBI agent's career in jeopardy.

2. The Target
An outdoorsman hires Dollhouse to program Echo as his perfect counterpart, but their wilderness expedition becomes a survival game. Meanwhile, Ballard tries to learn more about Echo and continues his investigation, and the massacre which led to Boyd's recruitment is revealed.

3. Stage Fright
Echo is turned into a backup singer in order to protect a singing star from her crazed fans. Meanwhile, Agent Ballard continues with his investigation but is set up for an ambush.

4. Gray Hour
Echo's newest programming is for a sassy safecracker, but a sudden interruption during an art theft leaves her without her skills after she's trapped in a vault.. While Adelle calls in Sierra, Topher tries to track down the person responsible. Meanwhile, Ballard deals with Lubov.

Stars:
Eliza Dushku as Echo
Harry Lennix as Boyd Langton
Fran Kranz as Topher Brink
Tahmoh Penikett as Paul Ballard
Enver Gjokaj as Anton Lubov
Dichen Lachman as Sierra
Olivia Williams as Adelle DeWitt

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a series I loved when it originally aired. Feels so good to finally be able to watch these episodes again. Eliza Dushku is wonderful as usual. The episodes are all very entertaining. I have always found the plot for this series to be interesting. while I enjoyed every episode on this disc. If I had to pick a favorite.... it would have to be The Target... excellent episode! I swear... it makes me so mad!... why does Fox always cancel the series I like the most!  :thumbdown: And this is the second time they did it with an Eliza Dushku series!  :thumbdown:

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 03, 2011, 01:44:12 AM »
     Off the Map: The Complete Series: Disc 1 (2011/United States)

1. Saved By The Great White Hope
In this ensemble drama, five doctors who have lost their way will go to the ends of the earth to try to remember the reasons why they wanted to become doctors in the first place. They get a glimpse of what jungle medicine will be like when an amped-up surfer gets decked by his doctor. Call it tough love. Hey, sucker punching the guy was the only way to get him to chill long enough to yank the giant stingray out of his leg!

2. Smile. Don't Kill Anyone
When a 12-foot anaconda snake takes hold of a wildlife photographer, Zee, Lily and Ben spring into action. Meanwhile Tommy learns a tough cultural lesson and Mina struggles to get along with new colleague Ryan.

3. A Doctor Time Out
The city is buzzing with the annual festival, but when a live wire electrocutes a young man and causes a citywide blackout, Mina and Otis fight for his life. Meanwhile a dangerous mudslide leaves a young pregnant couple in peril and the doctors scrambling to save them both.

4. On The Mean Streets Of San Miguel
Ryan's complicated relationship with Ben has her taking out her frustrations on jungle greenery with a machete. In other news, Lily needs meds to treat a patient with a staph infection. Unfortunately, the goods are stuck in customs down in San Miguel.

Stars:
Jonathan Castellanos as Charlie
Valerie Cruz as Dr. Zitajalehrena "Zee" Alvarez
Caroline Dhavernas as Dr. Lily Brenner
Jason George as Dr. Otis Cole
Zach Gilford as Dr. Tommy Fuller
Mamie Gummer as Dr. Mina Minard
Martin Henderson as Dr. Ben Keeton

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a series I enjoyed a lot when it originally aired this past season. Unfortunately I must have been one of the few... as it was canceled after only 13 episodes. The story of doctors going to a South American rain forest to work at a clinic. One of the main stars of the series was Caroline Dhavernas who many of us will remember from another short lived series Wonderfalls. I found I enjoy this show just as much the second time watching it as I did the first. The series has good stories and cool medical cases that they work on in each episode.There was a few familiar faces guest starring in some of the episodes on this disc. The first being in the pilot episode. That being Michael McKeon who was Lenny on Laverne & Shirley and more recently Perry White on a couple episodes of Smallville. Next there was Cheech Marin (Cheech & Chong) playing a Jungle Doctor (witch doctor?) here. Then finally we got Ed Begley, Jr. playing a traveling dentist in the 4th episodes. As for my favorite episode on this disc... I will have to go with the pilot episode. It is a good introduction to the characters.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #898 on: September 03, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
And this is the second time they did it with an Eliza Dushku series!  :thumbdown:

Yeah, but Tru Calling never had legs. It was terrible. I couldn't even bring myself to sit through the last couple of the short season 2 and sold the boxset!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 03, 2011, 02:51:25 PM »
Of course you are welcome to your opinion... wrong as it may be.  :tease: But I loved Tru Calling. It remains one of my favorite short-lived series of all times. I even enjoyed it better then Firefly... which I also enjoyed every minute of.
Pete