Author Topic: Addicted2dvd's Random TV Series Watched  (Read 250887 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted2dvd's Random TV Series Watched
« Reply #570 on: March 31, 2010, 08:41:51 PM »

Superboy: Season 1 (Disc 1)
He's no longer a child and not yet a man. He's a boy - a college boy, in fact, who earnestly studies journalism at Shuster University. Clark Kent is his name. And if shy, often bumbling Clark were to tell anyone who he really is, the story would supply the 'Daily Planet' with a year's worth of headlines.

The production team whose big-screen spectacular revitalized live-action Superman adventures brings a live-action Boy of Steel to the small screen with 26 year-one episodes of the series that ran four heroic seasons. What emergency compelled Clark to emerge as Superboy? When did Clark/Superboy first encounter the green menace of Kryptonite? How did Lex Luthor lose his hair? The series has its own entertaining visions of key moments in the lore. So, enroll at Shuster U. Class is now in session.

Episodes:
1. The Jewel Of Techacal
2. A Kind of Princess
3. Back to Oblivion
4. The Russian Exchange Student
5. Countdown To Nowhere
6. Bringing Down The House
7. The Beast And Beauty
8. The Fixer

My Thoughts:
I felt like pulling something different off the shelf today. So I grabbed this syndicated series from 1988. I remember catching this every so often when I was a teen. Unfortunately since it was in syndication there was no real way to know if or when it would be on so I only ever seen a handful of episodes. So I was thrilled when the first season was released on DVD. Once again... unfortunately... the sales for the season set wasn't that great so we never got the rest of the series... which I believe made it to season 4.  I still hold on to slight hope that I will see more releases.

The episodes on this disc are  pretty good... I enjoyed them. Though it does seem like the series is out of order on the set. Even though when looking at the episode guides online they seem to say it is correct. But that makes no sense to me... as the first episode everyone knew who Superboy was. But yet about half way through the first disc he makes an appearance and  no one knew who (or what) he was... not even his friends that he saved in every episode before it.

I really enjoyed the episode Back to Oblivion where an elderly scrapyard owner was going senile believing he was back in the days of WWII. And was mistaking Lana Lang for his granddaughter. The scrapyard owner was played by Abe Vigoda. It is always a little more fun when there is a recognizable face in the episode.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #571 on: March 31, 2010, 10:39:50 PM »
I also have that Superboy set but havent watched it in awhile.  I prefer the second actor that played Superboy, though.  He was a more traditiional looking super-hero.  This guy has a slightly odd look about him.  He reminds me of the guy who played Michael J. Fox's father in Back to the Future.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 01, 2010, 02:10:46 AM »

Superboy: Season 1 (Disc 1)
He's no longer a child and not yet a man. He's a boy - a college boy, in fact, who earnestly studies journalism at Shuster University. Clark Kent is his name. And if shy, often bumbling Clark were to tell anyone who he really is, the story would supply the 'Daily Planet' with a year's worth of headlines.

The production team whose big-screen spectacular revitalized live-action Superman adventures brings a live-action Boy of Steel to the small screen with 26 year-one episodes of the series that ran four heroic seasons. What emergency compelled Clark to emerge as Superboy? When did Clark/Superboy first encounter the green menace of Kryptonite? How did Lex Luthor lose his hair? The series has its own entertaining visions of key moments in the lore. So, enroll at Shuster U. Class is now in session.

Episodes:
9. The Alien Solution
10. Troubled Waters
11. Kryptonite Kills
12. Revenge of the Alien, Part 1
13. Revenge of the Alien, Part 2
14. Stand Up and Get Knocked Down
15. Meet Mr. Mxyzptlk

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed the first disc so much earlier that I felt like watching the second disc as well. Which is more good episodes. On this disc I especially enjoyed Meet Mr. Mxyzptlk. The actor that played Mr. Mxyzptlk is one of those faces I know when I see it... but never knew his name. According to the credits it is a guy by the name of Michael J. Pollard.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #573 on: April 01, 2010, 02:38:53 AM »
Ah yes, I've seen Michael J. Pollard in several things...the movie Bonnie & Clyde, an episode of the original Star Trek, Barney's inept cousin Virgil on an episode of The Andy Griffith Show...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 12, 2010, 03:16:55 AM »

A Different World: Season 1 (Episodes 1-4)
A Different World appeared on NBC from 1987 to 1993. As the highly anticipated spin-off of America's #1 show, A Different World mostly aired directly after The Cosby Show. The series was set at Hillman, a historically Black college with a rich legacy and reputation for successfully cultivating young minds. Denise Huxtable (Lisa Bonet) decided to attend Hillman College in tribute to her parents and grandfather who all attended Hillman for their undergraduate studies. In Season One, A Different World clearly depicts the difference between living at home with your parents and taking responsibilty for your own actions as a young adult. This hilarious show is filled with vibrant characters. In addition to Denise, Hillman featured Jaleesa Vinson (Dawnn Lewis), a recently divorced 26 year old, Maggie Lauten (Marisa Tomei), the most talkative person on campus, Whitley Gilbert (Jasmine Guy), the ultra-wealthy Southern Belle, Dwayne Wayne (Kadeem Hardison), Hillman's smartest and funniest male student and Walter Oakes (Sinbad) the over protective dorm director.

Episodes:
1. Reconcilable Differences
2. Pilot Presentation
3. Porky De Bergerac
4. Those Who Can't...Tutor

My Thoughts:
I forgot how much fun this show really was. It has been so long since I seen these episodes. Other then Denise of course... I think my favorite character on this show is Maggie who is played by a young Marisa Tomei. She just cracks me up when she gets talking about something and she is going hard and fast till someone tells her to stop.... then it is just "OK."

What I watched so far is only half of the episodes that is on the first disc. And I enjoyed them all quite a bit...so I had to post about it. Though I do plan on continue watching more episodes as soon as tomorrow. I know I should watch this much slower since only the first season is out... but this seems to be one of the times I just can't help myself.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 12, 2010, 06:55:30 PM »

A Different World: Season 1 (Episodes 5-8)
A Different World appeared on NBC from 1987 to 1993. As the highly anticipated spin-off of America's #1 show, A Different World mostly aired directly after The Cosby Show. The series was set at Hillman, a historically Black college with a rich legacy and reputation for successfully cultivating young minds. Denise Huxtable (Lisa Bonet) decided to attend Hillman College in tribute to her parents and grandfather who all attended Hillman for their undergraduate studies. In Season One, A Different World clearly depicts the difference between living at home with your parents and taking responsibilty for your own actions as a young adult. This hilarious show is filled with vibrant characters. In addition to Denise, Hillman featured Jaleesa Vinson (Dawnn Lewis), a recently divorced 26 year old, Maggie Lauten (Marisa Tomei), the most talkative person on campus, Whitley Gilbert (Jasmine Guy), the ultra-wealthy Southern Belle, Dwayne Wayne (Kadeem Hardison), Hillman's smartest and funniest male student and Walter Oakes (Sinbad) the over protective dorm director.

Episodes:
5. War of the Words
6. Rudy and the Snow Queen
7. Sometimes You Get the Bear, Sometimes the Bear Gets You
8. If Chosen, I May Not Run

My Thoughts:
This Completes the first disc of the set. Another 4 episodes that I really enjoyed. I liked seeing all the guest stars from The Cosby Show the first season has (of course this ended when Denise was no longer a part of the show). So far we have seen Cliff, Rudy and Cliff's father (forget his name now) on the show. From the above episodes I really liked episode #7... where Denise's grandfather comes to visit her.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #576 on: April 12, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
I liked seeing all the guest stars from The Cosby Show the first season has (of course this ended when Denise was no longer a part of the show).
As far as I remember, later seasons also had a few guest appearances. I think Claire visited Hillman a few times (to give speeches or something like this). Also Dwayne and Whitney visited the Huxtables at one point of what I remember.

So far we have seen Cliff, Rudy and Cliff's father (forget his name now) on the show.

Russell.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 12, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »
Thank You! I couldn't remember that name for anything in the world!
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 12, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »
Thank You! I couldn't remember that name for anything in the world!

Having a "senior moment" eh Pete?!? :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 12, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »

:laugh: :tease:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 13, 2010, 07:54:29 PM »

He Man and the Masters of the Universe: The Complete Series (Episodes 7-10)
You have the power to re-live all 39 episodes of the Emmy® award winning 2002-03 He-Man® and the Masters of the Universe® Series! In this complete series collection, you will first learn how Adam became He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe. Then join He-Man as he leads Man-At-Arms, Teela, Ram Man, and the other heroic Masters of the Universe as trhey battle Skeletor, Trap Jaw, Evil Lyn, Beast Man, and the classic villians for control of Eternia. In the thrilling concluding episodes, witness the return of King Hssss and his snake men as he attempts to awaken the Snake God, Serpos!

This fresh take on the retro favorite delighted and entertained a new generation of fans as well as those who grew up watching the beloved series in the '80s.

Episodes:
7. Lessons
8. The Siren's Song
9. The Ties That Bind
10. Dragon's Brood

My Thoughts:
This is one that was recommended to me here on the forum. I used to watch the original cartoon... but never seen any of this 2002 version till now. I am still enjoying it... though there was a couple episodes of the above that I didn't enjoy quite as much as others. I did enjoy Lessons where we learn a little about where Orko came from.... as well as The Ties That Bind where we learn a little more about Teela.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 14, 2010, 12:38:22 AM »

A Different World: Season 1 (Episodes 9-15)

Episodes:
9. Romancing Mr. Stone
10. The Gift of the Magi
11. Does He or Doesn't He?
12. Advice and Descent
13. The Prime of Miss Lettie Bostic
14. Wild Child
15. Dr. Cupid

My Thoughts:
This disc has both a Christmas (The Gift of Magi) and a Valentine (Dr. Cupid) episode. So they will be good to add to my yearly marathons. All the episodes on this disc were good... but I especially liked Wild Child... where a brilliant but homeless teen slips her way onto campus to get some free classes... and Dr. Cupid... where it is Valentines Day and everyone either finds or is looking for someone special.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 14, 2010, 07:47:03 PM »

A Different World: Season 1 (Episodes 16-22)

Episodes:
16. The Show Must Go On
17. Mr. Hillman
18. Speech Therapy
19. Clair's Last Stand
20. If Only for One Night
21. Come Back, Little Eggby
22. My Dinner with Theo

My Thoughts:
I decided to go ahead and finish off this set. Now I just wish I had more to watch! Though by memory (and the bonus episode in this set) I didn't care as much for the seasons past the first one as they changed the show so much. I enjoyed all the episodes on this disc... especially when the cast from The Cosby Show came to visit Denise. This time around we see her mother Clair and her brother Theo.

After that I popped in the bonus disc and watched the bonus "lost" episode... which apparently never aired in it's original run. But it definitely was from a future season as Denise was gone and Dwayne and Whitley were together. Also on the disc is a TV Show that aired on E!... a kind of where are they now/Look back show... which was pretty cool to watch. Then there is a blooper reel that ran about 5min. And a TV Spot for another Look Back show... this time for The Cosby Show... a show that can be found on the season 1 set of The Cosby Show.

As I( am sure you can tell by how fast I went through this set... I really enjoyed every moment of watching the first season again. Even more then I was expecting to. Maybe because I was remembering the later seasons that I didn't care for as much. It was definitely worth the 30 cents I had to put out for this set!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 16, 2010, 02:00:28 AM »

Batman: The Animated Series: Vol. 1 (Disc 3)
This fantastic 4-disc set packs 28 awesome adventures of the World's Greatest Detective taking down an array of criminal masterminds plus Exclusive Extras also worthy of investigation. Experience the thrills of vigilante justice as millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne and alter-ego Batman protect the streets of Gotham City from a host of villains including archnemesis The Joker, deadly-beautiful Poison Ivy and primitive Killer Croc in a fresh take on super hero storytelling. Intelligent, dramatic stories, unique characters and sharp dialog shaped this edgy TV series into an Emmy®-winning powerhouse that brought the Caped Crusader out of the dark alleys of TV history and into the present for fans of all ages.

EPISODES:
15. The Cat and the Claw Part 1
16. The Cat and the Claw Part 2
17. See No Evil
18. Beware of the Gray Ghost
19. Prophecy of Doom
20. Feat of Clay Part 1
21. Feat of Clay Part 2

My Thoughts:
For some reason I let just over a year go by before watching the next disc in this set. I was surprised to find there was 3 episodes on this disc I never seen before. I thought I seen all the early episodes before!  But I never seen either part of The Cat and the Claw where they first introduce Catwoman. I also never seen Prophecy of Doom... which is one of the few I didn't care for in this series.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 28, 2010, 12:13:44 AM »

Veronica Mars: Season 1 (Disc 1)
A little bit Buffy. A little bit Bogart. A dash of Nancy Drew. Veronica Mars takes the best and brainiest of the American culture of crimesolving and adds a unique vision of its own – brooding, edgy, darkly funny and just plain dark – to become one of the hottest, sleekest series of the new century.

Veronica (Kristen Bell) is an outcast in a trendy SoCal beach town. Once she ran with Neptune High's in crowd. But she's on the outside after her best friend is murdered and her sheriff father accuses the wrong man as the perp: the dead girl's billionaire father. Dad loses his job, Veronica loses her popularity and both struggle to build a detective agency and new lives. E-mail scams, cults, car thefts – you name it, Veronica investigates it. But her obsession is the murder of her friend. And she'll take any risk to solve it.

Episodes:
1. Pilot
2. Credit Where Credit's Due
3. Meet John Smith
4. The Wrath of Con

My Thoughts:
After watching season 3 for my marathon not long ago I had the urge to see some of the early episodes. It was really fun watching them again. Not sure if I will continue throughout but I may watch some more before too long.
Pete