Author Topic: The 1967 Spider-Man Animated Series  (Read 13363 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: The 1967 Spider-Man Animated Series
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2010, 08:41:39 PM »
you know, for a lot of these I have to go with generic pics, and it takes a while for each, so no more pics  :P

Episode 54: Thunder Rumble

The Plot: A giant Martian warrior, who throws lightning bolts, comes to Earth to rob the planet of its gold. Spiderman's effort to stop the behemoth alien is thwarted by a thieving bomber whom Spidey was about to capture before the Martian appeared on Earth.

My Thoughts: Well, it was all fine and good. Average episode. The dude who was a giant martian kept reminding me of Thor though. That, and the little robber who helped him has a deeper voice than he does!! Wow, just wow. Bad choice picking the voice actors, guys.

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »
Episode 55: Spider-Man meets SkyBoy

The Plot: Dr. Irving Caldwell has devised a helmet capable of levitating its wearer and is kidnaped by a villainous scientist- the Chinese genius, Dr. Zap, who wants Caldwell's helmet to duplicate for his own evil use.

My Thoughts: Well, the suit certainly got my attention. Reminds me of a mix between the suits of Greatest American Hero, the flying suit from the second episode Batman teamed up with the gang in New Scooby-Doo Movies, and a bird cage on top!! :P

Still, it was pretty funny watching Spidey taking a kid as competition, and watching him lug around a camera cuz JJJ wants pics! Haha, this is one of the better episodes!

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2010, 09:43:37 PM »
Episode 56: Cold Storage

The Plot: Sophisticated diamond thief Dr. Cool and his henchman have heisted a fortune in diamonds and are at a deserted-before-dawn ice factory, planning to smuggle the gems through international customs by mixing the "hot ice" with large quantities of the ordinary variety.

My Thoughts: The plot may not tell you, but most of the episode is Spidey hallucinating from being locked in a freezer. Reminds me a lot of Rip Van Winkle..........the cavemen were interesting, but realizing it was all never real ruins the ride for me. :( Still, it was nice to see the hero saved for a change, and it was especially nice to see the look on the bad guy's face when it turns out Spidey  lived through being a human iceberg!! :laugh:

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »
Episode 57: To Cage A Spider

The Plot: Two robbers dynamite a bank safe and abscond in their car with millions of stolen dollars. Spidey chases them. The villains throw a "Vibrator" device at the web-swinger, and it explodes in Spidey's face! Spidey falls more than 20 building stories to strike a Manhattan street's pavement. He wakes up in the prison infirmary where there is a prison break.

My Thoughts: Well, I always did enjoy a good prison break episode (not the series) and nice to see Spidey actually benefiting from people thinking he's a criminal! Once he captured all the guys trying to break out, its no surprise he wants to stick around. Gotta love even with a plot with seemingly definite brainless action, a mission of escape, there is a life lesson to Pete - - his life could be worse!!

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »
Episode 58: The Winged Thing

The Plot: Spidey discovers the bird-man Vulture robbing a millionaire's penthouse safe and unsuccessfully tries to stop the flying fiend. Spidey is also unable to defeat the Vulture in confrontations at a building construction site and at a military base.

My Thoughts: Season 3 kicks off by reintroducing a famous villain, the Vulture - - - which I love. You always find yourself paying more attention when its someone you know. Decent episode. Back to half episodes here, which I was really starting to miss. Nice.

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2010, 10:51:21 PM »
Episode 59: Conner's Reptiles

The Plot: Spidey swings to Florida again to battle a walking, thinking lizard. This time, the lizard is not a transformed Dr. Conner, but a reptile whose intelligence has been augmented in an experiment by Conner gone awry, and who has kidnaped Conner and holds the ill-fated scientist as captive at a Spanish fort.

My Thoughts: Ok, I have a bone to pick with this one!!! It's Deja Vu all over again!! I know I've said a show seemed repeatative before, but I think it's so for this one that if you played this back side by side with the first episode with the Lizard, then you'd see it's the same show with different lines!! I heard of recycling shows, but this is rediculous!! :thumbdown:

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2010, 11:07:15 PM »
Episode 60: Trouble with Snow

The Plot: New York City children build a snowman with snow contaminated by trace chemicals from an industrial plant up the Hudson River, and a freak accident involving a broken electrical line hitting the snowman somehow brings the snowman to life.

My Thoughts: This would have been a nice Christmas special. Come to think of it, something like that happened in the Krypto the Superdog cartoon. I would have thought to kill a snowman by means of heat, but electricity did it. Nice episode.

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
Episode 61: Spider-Man vs. Desperado

The Plot: Desperado, a cowboy criminal, lassos Spidey and begins a crime wave atop his electronic horse.

My Thoughts: Average episode. Nothing much to say, just average.

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2010, 11:40:07 PM »
Episode 62: Sky Harbor

The Plot: A German Baron utilizes a flying aircraft carrier to launch an attack on New York City with World War One-style fighter airplanes.

My Thoughts: I didn't expect much from this one....being I'm not really into dogfights...but I gotta admit, it was pretty good. I liked how Spidey got the Baron to lower so he could web himself up by using mirrors. Pretty clever writing. 

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2010, 11:58:23 PM »
Episode 63: The Big Brainwasher

The Plot: The Kingpin's latest scheme to control New York involves a machine that brainwashes city officials into doing as the commands. Peter's girl-friend, Mary Jane, invites Peter to watch her dance on opening night at the Gloom Room A-Go-Go, a night club secretly owned by the Kingpin.

My Thoughts: Good to see the Kingpin back. Nice to see the big villains in the game. But there are some thing I noticed. Mary Jane has orange hair? Captain Stacy is MJ's uncle? Wouldn't that mean MJ and Gwen are cousins? I never read many of the earlier comics, but I don't think this is right! If it is feel free to correct me. Still, a pretty exciting mix of photography and brainwashing! ;)

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 12:16:32 AM »
Episode 64: The Vanishing Doctor Vespasian

The Plot: Dr. Vespasian, a green-skinned, wrinkled scientist, concocts a drinkable invisibility formula and uses it on himself and his dog, Brutus.

My Thoughts: OMG!! This episode seemed ok enough at first with the invisibility, but when Spider-Man captured the crook by turning him into a GIANT SUNDAE, well, that just takes the ice-cream and tops it with sprinkles!! BIG  :thumbup:

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 12:32:42 AM »
Episode 65: Scourge of the Scarf

The Plot: From his vantage point atop a building, Spidey watches as crowds form long lines to attend Saturday night Broadway performances. To the panic of the mass of people, the Moon becomes a psychedelic pinwheel that fills the night sky and dizzies and renders everyone- including Spidey- unconscious.

My Thoughts: These guys are mainly optical illusion, which I get, but why did they call the gang the Scarf? Who names themselves after an accessory? I mean, I know there's such a thing as a Crime Ring, but c'mon!! Decent episode all the same.

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 12:48:40 AM »
Episode 66: Super Swami

The Plot: Super Swami, an obese, Oriental illusionist, seems to make the Brooklyn Bridge disappear piece by piece, with the cars thereon suspended in mid-air.

My Thoughts: Illusionists. Pretty cool topic, but something bothers me anout this. A standing set of three mirrors was enough to confuse that guy on which was the real Spidey? How about the one with a web that actually sticks to the ceiling? The next part was pretty clever though, swinging back and forth rapidly to look like a red & blue smear so the Swami couldn't aim. Decent episode, pretty cool.

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2010, 01:08:33 AM »
Episode 67: The Birth of Micro Man

The Plot: Prof. Pretories, the most diabolical mind ever known to science, escapes jail, and Peter unknowingly helps the convict by car-driving him, a hitchhiker, to his secret-laboratory hideout.

My Thoughts: All in all, this episode is average, but the whole time Antman is going through my head! I guess things resembling others happens over years, but I just don't get this scenario's schtik. The guy gets shrunk by.....a lightbulb? Ok, then.

Rogmeister

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2010, 02:41:55 AM »
I think you're right...I was reading the comics back in the 60s and 70s and I don't recall MJ and Gwen ever being actually related.  Also, that cowboy villain reminds me of a Superman villain named Terr-Man...that guy was from outer space, though, I think...