Author Topic: The X-Files Marathon  (Read 17794 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
The X-Files Marathon
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:58:24 PM »
The X-Files Marathon
In the series, FBI agents  Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are the investigators of X-Files: marginalized, unsolved cases involving paranormal  phenomena. Mulder is a believer in the existence of aliens and the paranormal, while Scully, a skeptic, is assigned to make scientific analysis on Mulder's discoveries.

The X-Files Lasted for 9 Seasons and 2 movies. That is 202 Episodes and 2 feature movies! All of which I plan to eventually (this will be another of my slow moving marathons) watch and review here. Watching the movies in their rightful chronological order... which I believe means I will watch X-Files: Fight the Future between seasons 5 & 6... and watch The X-Files: I Want to Believe after season 9.

Some of you may not be too thrilled with some of my episode reviews. I say this because I was never much for the episode that are devoted to the series long arc of the alien invasion. I very much preferred the stand-alone "Freak of the Week" episodes! And I know a LOT of X-Files fans out there are just the opposite.

The X-Files Episodes:

Season 1:
1. Pilot
2. Deep Throat
3. Squeeze
4. Conduit
5. The Jersey Devil
6. Shadows
7. Ghost in the Machine
8. Ice
9. Space
10. Fallen Angel
11. Eve
12. Fire
13. Beyond the Sea
14. Gender Bender
15. Lazarus
16. Young at Heart
17. E.B.E.
18. Miracle Man
19. Shapes
20. Darkness Falls
21. Tooms
22. Born Again
23. Roland
24. The Erlenmeyer Flask
Season 2:
1. Little Green Men
2. The Host
3. Blood
4. Sleepless
5. Duane Barry
6. Ascension
7. 3
8. One Breath
9. Fire Walker
10. Red Museum
11. Excelsis Dei
12. Aubrey
13. Irresistible
14. Die Hand Die Verletzt
15. Fresh Bones
16. Colony
17. End Game
18. Fearful Symmetry
19. Dod Kalm
20. Humbug
21. The Calusari
22. F. Emasculata
23. Soft Light
24. Our Town
25. Anasazi
Season 3:
1. The Blessing Way
2. Paper Clip
3. D.P.O.
4. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
5. The List
6. 2Shy
7. The Walk
8. Oubliette
9. Nisei
10. 731
11. Revelations
12. War of the Coprophages
13. Syzygy
14. Grotesque
15. Piper Maru
16. Apocrypha
17. Pusher
18. Teso dos Bichos
19. Hell Money
20. Jose Chung's "From Outer Space"
21. Avatar
22. Quagmire
23. Wetwired
24. Talitha Cumi
Season 4:
1. Herrenvolk
2. Unruhe
3. Home
4. Teliko
5. The Field Where I Died
6. Sanguinarium
7. Musings Of A Cigarette Smoking Man
8. Paper Hearts
9. Tunguska
10. Terma
11. El Mundo Gira
12. Kaddish
13. Never Again
14. Leonard Betts
15. Memento Mori
16. Unrequited
17. Tempus Fugit
18. Max
19. Synchrony
20. Small Potatoes
21. Zero Sum
22. Elegy
23. Demons
24. Gethsemane
Season 5:
1. Unusual Suspects
2. Redux
3. Redux II
4. Detour
5. The Post-Modern Prometheus
6. Christmas Carol
7. Emily
8. Kitsunegari
9. Schizogeny
10. Chinga
11. Kill Switch
12. Bad Blood
13. Patient X
14. The Red and the Black
15. Travelers
16. Mind's Eye
17. All Souls
18. The Pine Bluff Variant
19. Folie a Deux
20. The End
Season 6:
1. The Beginning
2. Drive
3. Triangle
4. Dreamland
5. Dreamland II
6. Terms of Endearment
7. Rain King
8. How the Ghosts Stole Christmas
9. Tithonus
10. SR 819
11. Two Fathers
12. One Son
13. Arcadia
14. Agua Mala
15. Monday
16. Alpha
17. Trevor
18. Milagro
19. Three of a Kind
20. The Unnatural
21. Field Trip
22. Biogenesis
Season 7:
1. The Sixth Extinction
2. The Sixth Extinction II: Amor Fati
3. Hungry
4. Millennium
5. Rush
6. The Goldberg Variation
7. Orison
8. The Amazing Maleeni
9. Signs & Wonders
10. Sein Und Zeit
11. Closure
12. X-Cops
13. First Person Shooter
14. Theef
15. En Ami
16. Chimera
17. all things
18. Brand X
19. Hollywood A.D.
20. Fight Club
21. Je Souhaite
22. Requiem
Season 8:
1. Within
2. Without
3. Patience
4. Roadrunners
5. Invocation
6. Redrum
7. Via Negativa
8. Surekill
9. Savage
10. Badlaa
11. The Gift
12. Medusa
13. Per Manum
14. This is Not Happening
15. Deadalive
16. Three Words
17. Empedocles
18. Vienen
19. Alone
20. Essence
21. Existence
Season 9:
1. Nothing Important Happened Today
2. Nothing Important Happened Today II
3. Daemonicus
4. 4-D
5. Lord of the Flies
6. Trust No 1
7. John Doe
8. Hellbound
9. Provenance
10. Providence
11. Audrey Pauley
12. Underneath
13. Improbable
14. Scary Monsters
15. Jump the Shark
16. William
17. Release
18. Sunshine Days
19/20. The Truth

The X-Files Main Characters:

Fox Mulder
(seasons 1–7 main, seasons 8–9 recurring)
Mulder is an FBI special agent who believes in the existence of unidentified flying objects (UFOs) and a government conspiracy to hide or deny the truth regarding such craft. With his FBI partner Dana Scully, he works in the X-Files office, which is concerned with cases that were marked as unsolvable and shelved by the FBI; most of these cases involve supernatural or mysterious circumstances. Mulder considers the X-Files and the truth behind the supposed conspiracy so important that he has made their study the main purpose of his life.

Dana Scully
(seasons 1–9 main)
Scully is an FBI special agent, partner to agent Fox Mulder. They work out of the cramped basement office at FBI headquarters in Washington, D.C. to investigate unsolved cases labeled "X-Files". In contrast to Fox Mulder's credulous "believer" character, Scully is a skeptic, choosing to base her beliefs on scientific explanations. However, as the series progresses, she becomes more open to the possibility of paranormal happenings.

Walter Skinner
(seasons 1–8 recurring, season 9 main)
Skinner is an FBI assistant director who served in the United States Marine Corps in the Vietnam War. During this time he shot and killed a young boy carrying explosives, an incident which scarred him for life. Skinner is originally the direct supervisor of special agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully in the X-Files office.

John Doggett
(seasons 8–9 main)
Doggett is an FBI special agent who makes his first appearance in the season eight episode "Within". Doggett served in the United States Military from the 1970s to the 80s. Later, he started to work with the New York Police Department, eventually being promoted to the rank of detective. After his son's death he joined the Criminal Investigations Division of the FBI. In 2000, Alvin Kersh assigned him to the X-Files office as Dana Scully's partner after an unsuccessful task force attempt to find missing agent Fox Mulder.

Monica Reyes
(season 8 recurring, season 9 main)
Reyes is an FBI special agent who was born and raised in Mexico City, Mexico, where her parents still live (as of 2002). Because she was raised in Mexico, Reyes speaks fluent Spanish. She majored in folklore  and mythology  at Brown University, and has a master's degree in Religious Studies. In 1990, Reyes enrolled in the FBI Academy at Quantico, Virginia. Her first assignment in the FBI was serving on a special task force investigating Satanic  rituals. She is a longtime friend of Agent John Doggett and becomes his replacement partner on the X-Files after the departure of Agent Dana Scully.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Files Marathon
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »
What can I say guys... when I finish up a marathon I like to replace it with another. And since I just recently finished Angel... I needed another one I can work on now and then. And I been wanting to try and tackle this one for some time now!  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »
A long time project... I Want to Believe can be watch anywhere in the serie (I think it's better to watch it anywhere before the season 8 since no reference are made to the last 2 seasons).

Good luck with that ;D
Of course, I will follow this one. but don't count on me to start a new X-Files marathon for at least one year.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 03:38:38 PM »
Thanks Jimmy... I seen I Want to Believe once before on On-Demand. Recently got the DVD... so I will probably want to watch it before too long at all. But I may do so in another thread... and then repeat it after the end of the series Marathon.  Because even though not necessary I would kinda like to make it the end of the marathon. But who knows... by then there may be a 3rd movie!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »
The X-Files: Season 1
Now you can own the entire first season of THE X-FILES. All 24 classic episodes from the first season of this award-winning show are available for the first time in this exclusive collector's edition. Don't miss the opportunity to see how the phenomenon all began back on September 10, 1993.

This 7-disc set includes deleted footage, special effects shots, some of your favorite scenes dubbed in languages from around the world, and episode listings for the show's entire seven seasons.

Episodes:
1. Pilot
2. Deep Throat
3. Squeeze
4. Conduit
5. The Jersey Devil
6. Shadows
7. Ghost in the Machine
8. Ice
9. Space
10. Fallen Angel
11. Eve
12. Fire
13. Beyond the Sea
14. Gender Bender
15. Lazarus
16. Young at Heart
17. E.B.E.
18. Miracle Man
19. Shapes
20. Darkness Falls
21. Tooms
22. Born Again
23. Roland
24. The Erlenmeyer Flask
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 05:13:08 PM »
Some of you may not be too thrilled with some of my episode reviews. I say this because I was never much for the episode that are devoted to the series long arc of the alien invasion. I very much preferred the stand-alone "Freak of the Week" episodes! And I know a LOT of X-Files fans out there are just the opposite.

Not me. I loved The X-File's and both kind of episodes equally, but on one hand, freak-of-week work better for the X-Files idea and on the other, the arc turns out to be absolute crap that undermines the point of The X-Files. I think you will find, Pete, that the majority of fans gave up on the arc when it was clear the writers were making it up as they went along.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 05:20:24 PM »
That is good to hear Jon... maybe I won't get as much flack as I thought!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »
I think you will find, Pete, that the majority of fans gave up on the arc

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 05:29:48 PM »
 :laugh: OK... so I should count on Jimmy not liking many of my reviews!  :tease:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »
No I like the monster of the week also, but Jon generalize too much when he talk about the show's mythologie. He had never watch the last 3 seasons, so many facts are unknown to him :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 05:41:38 PM »
Oh... OK!  :hmmmm: Well who knows... maybe once I get that far and start reviewing the episodes that will change?  :tomato:

Back to watching!  :couch:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »
The X-Files: Season 1

1. Pilot
Original Air Date: September 10, 1993
After a number of Oregon high school teens begin to die mysteriously, Scully and Mulder are called to investigate the matter.

Guest Stars:
Charles Cioffi as Chief Blevins
Cliff DeYoung as Dr. Jay Nemman
Sarah Koskoff as Theresa Nemman
Leon Russom as Detective Miles
Zachary Ansley as Billy Miles

My Thoughts:
This is a well done introduction to the characters. The chemistry between the main characters is there right from the start. The storyline of this episode... while good... there are better. As I said before... never cared much for the Alien stuff. And this is really the start of the series long arc. But of course at this point the arc is interesting.

When I popped this episode in this morning I couldn't get over how young the cast looked. It is hard for me to believe that these episodes are already a good 17 years old. Which I think... for me at least is a good reason to figure on watching the second movie at the end of the marathon. It won't be as much of a visual disruption from the episodes to the movies back to the episodes again.

My Rating:
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 05:44:51 PM »
Nice! i need to buy the other series .... I have 1 ¬_¬

I can't wait to see your views on my favourite episode Pete!

Season 1 Episode 8 - Ice

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »
No I like the monster of the week also, but Jon generalize too much when he talk about the show's mythologie. He had never watch the last 3 seasons, so many facts are unknown to him :P

:redcard:

What? When did I say that? I've been halfway through season 9 for about 3 years!  :laugh: I literally couldn't waste any more time on it. I missed freak-of-the-week; it was so poorly written and so called surprises at the cost of character. I've since learned the what the finale had in store. Erm... rubbish.

I plan one day to re-watch the whole thing and it will be interesting to see if my enthusiasm can last through the whole of Season 9 that time. I wouldn't take that bet...  :surrender:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 05:51:27 PM »
I stopped watching X-Files on TV after season 7 when Mulder was written out. But as I bought the DVDs I gave it a chance and got all 9 seasons. Oddly I don't remember the last 2 seasons that well. But that could be due to the fact that I only ever seen those episodes once. Where I seen all the rest multiple times. But I do remember thinking they weren't as bad as I thought they would be.
Pete