Poll

Which of the five films nominated, is your pick for Best film.

Million Dollar Baby
2 (33.3%)
Finding Neverland
1 (16.7%)
Ray
1 (16.7%)
Sideways
2 (33.3%)
The Aviator
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: 2005 Alternative Oscars  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
2005 Alternative Oscars
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:42:44 PM »
Best Motion Picture of the Year

Winner:Million Dollar Baby (2004) - Clint Eastwood; Albert S. Ruddy; Tom Rosenberg

Other Nominees:
Finding Neverland (2004) - Richard N. Gladstein; Nellie Bellflower
Ray (2004/I) - Taylor Hackford; Stuart Benjamin; Howard Baldwin (III)
Sideways (2004) - Michael London (II)
The Aviator (2004) - Michael Mann (I); Graham King (I)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Alternative Oscars
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 10:44:29 PM »
I saw all of the films except Finding Neverland, and once again I must say that it was another weak field in the Best Picture category. Of the four that I watched, I would have to go with Sideways.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 10:49:17 PM by Antares »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:02:05 PM »
This time I have seen three of the movies:
"Million Dollar Baby", "Sideways" and "The Aviator".
I didn't like "The Aviator". Of these three I probably would go with "Million Dollar Baby".

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »
Hey I've seen them all for this year! ;)

I have to agree with the choice of Million Dollar Baby for Best Picture.. with Ray a very close second.

.. but, if I had to choose what to watch right now - I'd reach for Finding Neverland.

Critter

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:18:54 PM »
I've seen The Aviator, Million Dollar Baby and Finding Neverland. I went with Neverland because I didn't really like The Aviator and Million Dollar Baby left me feeling depressed for weeks on end afterwards. That was one of the saddest films I have seen where not one good thing happens to the main character and it hurt to watch.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:42:32 PM »
Million Dollar Baby for me. Critter is right, but the saddest stories still have a positive centre. You're better for having seen it and that makes it important.

I disagree, Antares, as I think this was a rather strong year aside from the predicatable Ray and Aviator. Sideways is a great film, though perhaps not deserving of actually winning. Finding Neverland I also couldn't see winning, but it is a wonderful story, very well told.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 11:51:19 PM »
Million Dollar Baby for me. Critter is right, but the saddest stories still have a positive centre. You're better for having seen it and that makes it important.

I disagree, Antares, as I think this was a rather strong year aside from the predicatable Ray and Aviator. Sideways is a great film, though perhaps not deserving of actually winning. Finding Neverland I also couldn't see winning, but it is a wonderful story, very well told.

YOU disagreeing with me!!!!!  :tease:  :laugh:

But all kidding aside... when you have 3 biography films in the field, it's definitely a lean year.

I went with Sideways because it was well made film with a lot of quirky moments. Million Dollar Baby was very good, but after seeing Ikiru, it's hard to appreciate films that deal with matters of illness and suffering.

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:44 AM »

YOU disagreeing with me!!!!!  :tease:  :laugh:

But all kidding aside... when you have 3 biography films in the field, it's definitely a lean year.

:hysterical:

When you put it like that, you are right, I suppose, but that's sort of why I discounted Ray and Aviator as biographical films tend to bore me. On the other hand, Finding Neverland is just how such films should be done. It never forgets it is a film and not a documentary.

I went with Sideways because it was well made film with a lot of quirky moments. Million Dollar Baby was very good, but after seeing Ikiru, it's hard to appreciate films that deal with matters of illness and suffering.

Agreed, but goodness, that's a high mark to set! Few films come remotely close. Clint Eastwood though is currently one of my favourite directors. There is just something about his style that sits so well with me.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:05:26 AM »
Agreed, but goodness, that's a high mark to set! Few films come remotely close.

I know, I know, but every time I watch a film like that, my mind instantly focuses in on Ikiru and how freakin' fantastic that film was.

Critter

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:32:55 AM »

I agree that it was a fantastic film Jon, and I am glad that I watched it. I only meant that it's definitely something I don't want to watch again as it left me so down in the dumps.

snowcat

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 09:57:21 AM »
Right, I wont be voting this time I own Ray, Sideways and the Aviator.... ive watched none of them :/

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 07:25:41 AM »
I have only seen The Aviator (enjoyed it myself), but can see that one of the others should have won. I can imagine Million Dollar Baby to be the proper winnner of that year, still want to see it at some point in time.