Author Topic: Building new server  (Read 2888 times)

Touti

Building new server
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »
I also posted this in the Hardware forum at MyMovies but I know some here are more knowledgeable than me on hardware so I thought I'd post it here as well.

I'm currently using an "old" Shuttle SB81P as my server and now that I need to expand on storage I've reached its limits with only 2 expansion slots.  I'm an experienced I.T person on the software side but it's been a few years since I built a machine all by myself and I feel a bit lost with all the new stuff out there.

I could use a little help in making sure I don't make any big mistake here and since we now have a new hardware forum I thought some of you could share their thoughts on this.  I've spent most of my week-end on internet doing some research and I came up with the following.

I have a budget around 500$ Canadian for this excluding tax and video card.

Requirements

Motherboard
Form Factor: ATX, I need to know that I can add USB/SAS/eSata ports if needed.
Socket: AM2+/AM2, since it's gonna be a server and a "casual" workstation it doesn't need lots of CPU power.
Budget: I don't want to go cheap and have problems but I don't want to go crazy on the money either, I think I should be able to get myself a good Mobo between 75$ and 100$.

My choice: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3.  It's loaded with USB ports which is good for adding cheap storage solution, has plenty of expansion slots and I think the company has a good reputation.

For the memory I just picked what others have bought with that same board.

CPU
Socket: AM2+/AM2, as previously stated it doesn't need to be very powerful and I've always liked AMD.  They are cheaper than Intel and do the job very well.  I wouldn't want one in a 500 GB SQL Server Database but for my Windows Home Server it seems like more than enough.
Cores: I would have settled for a dual core but the only one available at Newegg is the 6000+ which comes only as the cpu, there's no fan or heat sink with it and I don't feel like making my life harder by shopping for this so it seems like I will have to go with a tri-core.
Budget: I haven't set any because it's not like there's a lot of options.  I'm just gonna have to choose what I want and pay whatever the price is.

My choice: Phenom X3 8750 Black Edition Toliman 2.4GHz.  I went for the cheapest tri-core in the AMD2+ series.

PSU
Form: ATX
Power: 400W or more
Other: Must be as quiet as possible

My choice: Rosewill Stallion Series RD400-2-SB 400W.  I found the PSU to be the most difficult part to shop for.  There's so many makes and models available and I really don't know much about them.  I see prices ranging from 15$ to 200$.  I assumed that quality has a price with PSU's as with anything else so I stayed away from the really cheap ones.  I finally decided to go with the Rosewill mostly because of the number of good reviews it has on Newegg.

Case
Compatibility: ATX Motherboards, it must have rear opening for all 7 expansion slots.
Other: Must look good.  I know it's "only" a server but I like my PC's to look good.  My server is in a room that serves as my office and a small private cigar lounge and I want it to look nice.  When I sit there to smoke one in peace I don't want the place to look like a computer room nor do I wish to see a light show coming out of my server. 

My choice: nMEDIAPC Red Wood Wood/Steel HTPC 8000 ATX Media Center / HTPC Case.  That's probably the nicest and coolest computer case I've ever seen.

I'm particularly interested in comments and suggestions about the power supply.  I really want this computer to be as quiet as possible so if anybody knows of a good ATX 400W power supply that runs quietly I'd really like to know about it.

leo1963

Re: Building new server
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
I don't thing expansion slots are as important as SATA ports on the mother board.  Make sure you have plenty of drive bays to handle the number of drives you plan on using.  It looks as if there are 6 SATA ports therefore make sure you have at least 6 drive bays to handle the 6 SATA drives.   Have you considered an HP MSS (Windows home Server).  My research has been very postive regarding the EX495.  Also inexpensive @ $599.99 on newegg.com.

Good luck.

Touti

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:20:10 PM »
I don't want to load the casing with a bunch of disks, I'm gonna use external ones, either USB or eSata. When/If one dies it's a lot easier to replace. 

I don't want to buy a Windows Home Server because I already have the WHS software which I bought last year and even I didn't I wouldn't want to pay for it now because a new version based on Windows Server 2008 is supposed to be released later in 2010. 

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
If you're going for a server based solution, it's really worth getting at least two internal disks and creating a RAID mirror. That way, one disk could fail, it would keep running and you can just replace it without breaking a sweat. You've built a specification for comfort not speed, which is spot on, but you'll kill the performance if you take away one of the key features and only use external for storage.

That said, you could always do what I just recently have. I've bought a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo for network attached storage. It can give me 24/7 access to media for very low running cost compared to a server and it's very powerful. I can use it for streaming, a webserver, network shares, you name it, it does it!

Also got a WDTV Live so it can play my music and videos from the NAS. No Windows required, thank you very much!  :dance:

But backtracking now, I think you've got the spec you wanted; just stick two drives in it as RAID and it'll be sweet...  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:40:08 PM by Jon »

Touti

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:00:35 PM »
Jon I don't want to use internal drives, there's really no point anyway because I'm gonna need many TB's and I don't think I can have more than 4 or 5 drives in a server.  I didn't say anything about the drives in my OP but my plan is to use eSata raid towers or maybe even go SAS.

NAS isn't an option because this is gonna be a Windows Home Server machine and WHS can only manage drives that are connected directly to it.  My idea is to put the smallest drive I can find in the server and slowly build raid towers by adding two 2TB drives everytime I run out of space.

The price on SAS seems to be prohibitive so I'm probably gonna go with eSata SANS Digital boxes.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111049&cm_re=sans_digital_5_bay-_-16-111-049-_-Product

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
Oh, well, yeah that'll work!  :laugh: When you said originally about external drives, I had an image in my head of you attempting to use single disk enclosures.  :-[ :thumbup:

Touti

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 02:28:17 AM »
Everybody seems to think I'd be making a mistake with that casing.  People tell me if I want to put together a server I should try to have as many internal drives as I can and then go external if I need more.  That pretty much changes everything so I've redone my homework.

Mobo: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378
8 Sata ports

CPU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103687
Had to change since new mobo is AM3 instead of AM2+

Case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152
Has 9 bays, I'm gonna turn 6 of them into 8 with 2 of these cages which will leave me with 3.

PSU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171036
600 Watts should be enough...................hopefully.  I won't be filling the case with drives immediately so it should be good for a while, I can change for a bigger one when needed.

Touti

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:15:13 PM »
The most fun part of shopping on internet is that you can change your mind every 10 minutes..............................and of course end up spending more than you had planned.

I just placed the order for.

Motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H
CPU: AMD Phenom X3 2.4GHz
Memory: 4 Gigs (2x2)
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar (which will go beside my current 1.5TB)

And last but not least, a Zalman GS-1000-BK full tower.
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=310

This will become my new Windows Home Server/Movie Server and a casual workstation.

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:27:33 PM »
Looking good! Don't be concerned about the power supply, in fact you may find you'll be able to step it down a bit from a full 600w. But it'll be fine to run several drives yet.