Author Topic: Best Machine to Copy VHS to DVD?  (Read 2567 times)

Clueless in Seattle

Best Machine to Copy VHS to DVD?
« on: January 31, 2010, 01:39:03 AM »
Hi!

I'm an old timer so I've still got some movies on VHS that have never made it to DVD.

I'm wondering if any of you have ever copied VHS movies to DVDs.

If so, I'd be interested in your opinions on the best way to do it.

I think using my PC might be too complicated for me.  I have trouble sitting up for very long due to a chronic circulation disorder so I can't spend much time at my desk computer.

I've heard of dual machines that combine a VHS player and a DVD recorder.

Have any of you ever used one of these?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Best Machine to Copy VHS to DVD?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 01:51:50 AM »
Have any of you ever used one of these?

My mother has one. She transferred a few of my VHS tapes (e.g. a short bad movie our class made in 10th grade) to DVD with it. If she can use it, it is not that complicated to use it.

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:34:03 AM »
Well as I said in the other thread, the easiest way is to buy a standard DVD recorder which will plug into your existing vhs machine.

That said, actually the combo machines you speak of are even easier, but in my experience, they are rare and expensive. The only ones I know of now in the UK have to be three in one, which would also include a hard drive.

Tom, which one are you thinking of? Perhaps certain models are more freely available.

Clueless in Seattle

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:45:32 AM »
Well as I said in the other thread, the easiest way is to buy a standard DVD recorder which will plug into your existing VHS machine.

Hi again, Jon,

Could you recommend a brand and model of DVD recorder?  This is something I think might be worth putting on my credit card, because my old VHS tapes are deteriorating day by day, and many of them are irreplaceable.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:31:32 AM »
Tom, which one are you thinking of? Perhaps certain models are more freely available.

I am not sure. I know it is a combo machine which also includes a hard disc. I think it is from Universum, which is a "Hausmarke" (according to Wikipedia: Store brands (store brands) or Private label brands (PLBs) in the United States, own brands in the UK, and home brands in Australia) of the now disfunct mail order company Quelle.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 12:52:10 PM »
Well as I said in the other thread, the easiest way is to buy a standard DVD recorder which will plug into your existing VHS machine.

Hi again, Jon,

Could you recommend a brand and model of DVD recorder?  This is something I think might be worth putting on my credit card, because my old VHS tapes are deteriorating day by day, and many of them are irreplaceable.

Hi Will,

Being from the UK, I wouldn't know where to start for you! Here I would consider even the cheapest models by people like Phillips, Sony, Wharfedale and others, but I may be doing a more local brand a disservice. For instance I have no idea about the brand Tom mentioned, but you can't dismiss store own brands.

Starting from scratch I would look at a catalogue or online at your favourite electrical store, search for "DVD recorder" (also look at "combo dvd recorder" in case ones with built-in VHS are common), and stick the model names into Google. See if you can find reviews and general opinions. You could always tell us about any you're thinking of and we'll find out if they're worth looking at.

Anyone else want to dive in? I'm Clueless about Seattle! ;)

Halo2

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »
Will,

I've saw a Panasonic device that have both DVD and VHS and allows you to record to DVD at Costco. Seems the price was under $200, but it shows up on their web site at 269.

Touti

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 07:09:32 PM »
Maybe this will help.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdhardwareandsoftware/tp/dvdvcrrecorders.htm

P.S: Before buying anything, make sure to check about copy protection.