Author Topic: Old Dogs  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Old Dogs
« on: December 24, 2009, 05:37:55 AM »
I love Robin Williams and I have liked most movies I’ve seen with John Travolta too, so I was very interested in seeing Old Dogs when I saw previews for it.  I had a chance to see the movie earlier in the month.

Best friends since childhood, Dan and Charlie opened a business together.  Dan has been married twice, the first lasting many years and the second lasting only one night shortly after his divorce.  Dan does seem to want to have a family while Charlie is a bit more wild and fun loving.  They are on the brink of a huge business deal when Dan’s second ex-wife Vicki contacts him.  Dan is very surprised when he finds out that he is the father of her twins, Zack and Emily, but he quickly hopes to establish a relationship with them.  Vicki has to go away for a few weeks and the plans she made for the kids fall through, so Dan and Charlie end up taking care of them. 

The plot is fairly simple and predictable, but I think it works to make a mostly entertaining movie.  It would have been nice if the plot had been stronger and I think that would have made the movie better as well.  The set up for most of what happens isn’t handled that well.  That part does come across as a bit clumsy and the way it works out that Dan and Charlie are taking care of the kids is a huge coincidence. 

The movie is fairly funny overall, though it wasn’t as funny as I had hoped it would be.  Most of the funniest bits were included in the trailers, though a few funny things were left out of the trailers.  I did find several scenes to be funny, though the humor is a bit silly or even crude at times, so it won’t appeal to everyone. 

The characters are fine, though none of them are really developed enough.  I did like John Travolta and Robin Williams in their parts.  I think the friendship between their characters is believable.

Old Dogs has some problems and could have been better, but I still think it is entertaining overall.  Fans of the cast should give it a chance.

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Old Dogs

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Old Dogs
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
Is this a sequel to Wild Hogs?

These guys are getting old and their choice of roles seems to show it. :headscratch:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 08:13:42 AM »
Is this a sequel to Wild Hogs?

These guys are getting old and their choice of roles seems to show it. :headscratch:

It isn't a sequel to Wild Hogs..though one is being made for that.
That's true about their age showing more.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:30:39 AM »
Quote from: Dragonfire link=topic=5820.msg100814#msg100814 dat
It isn't a sequel to [i
Wild Hogs[/i]..though one is being made for that.

Not any more apparently. The new guy at Disney seems to have found his axe... Empire News

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
Thanks for the review Marie... I been curios about seeing this one myself.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 08:18:13 PM »
Well I hadn't heard about that. 

Glad you liked the review. :)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 05:42:13 AM »
It isn't a sequel to Wild Hogs..
I didn't think it was, just thought it appeared to be very similar. And it seems to be something aging actors do :shrug:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:46:23 AM »
I guess it is sort of similar..though Wild Hogs is funnier.