Author Topic: MyMovies  (Read 22361 times)

RossRoy

Re: MyMovies
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 03:43:24 AM »
:laugh: Import??? Export??? Do I need a passport? XML file??? I think I'd better stick with DVDP! :laugh:

Haha yeah! Me too probably.. I don't actually need all the fancy SQL stuff or openness of MyMovies. DVDP is more than enough for my needs.

I'll still let MyMovies finish importing, and I'll play a bit with it. But knowing me, I'll most probably stick with DVDP no matter what.

snowcat

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 08:29:38 AM »
I quite like My Movies, ive had it on my hard drive for a while and imported about 20 DVD's it seems pretty cool... I just need to find a day when I can sort it all out :p

lyonsden5

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 01:44:59 PM »
:laugh: Import??? Export??? Do I need a passport? XML file??? I think I'd better stick with DVDP! :laugh:

:hysterical:

Taro

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 03:04:36 PM »
So far I've only used two apps for keeping track of my disc-based collection:

- Collectorz Movie collector
- DVD Profiler

Of those two, I prefer the functionalities of DVDP the most.

Can anyone give an idea of how MyMovies stacks up compared to those two? I've just downloaded it and will start to play with it, but it's always useful to hear from other (more experienced) users.

Touti

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 05:00:44 PM »
People need to understand that MyMovies and DVDP are different products intended for different things.  I don't know what direction MM intends to take but as it is now, the Collection Management program is very limited compared to DVDP.

If you want to manage your collection tightly and be able to filter on lots of fields and search on this or that then MyMovies isn't for you, at least for now.

I know many people are very sensitive about the accuracy of their database, personally I couldn't care less.  What I want to do with my movies is watch them, not watch data about it so I really don't care if there's a few mistakes here and there.  I have no need whatsoever for a detail crew section and I can live with a 95% accurate cast section.

As I said in my previous posts, MM is more oriented toward entertainment and playback.  The point of MM is to provide data to your Home Theatre system.  It works with Windows Media Center and it supports some DVD Changers and certain systems like XBMC Scraper.  I really know nothing about changers or XBMC types of systems so I will only talk about Windows Media Center.

The MyMovies database can provide data to WMC two ways.  It can feed it's own MC client and it can also feed the default WMC DVD Library.  I haven't used the latter so I can't say anything about it for now but if someone wants to know more I can test it this week-end.

The MM Media Center client connects to you MM database wherever you installed it, you only need to configure the program to tell it where your server is.  Then you can see your entire collection in a nice graphic interface.

These are some of the ways you can view your collection in MM in Media Center. The background images are provided by users.  They call these "Fanarts".

And you can filter on different columns.  The Collection Management program also allows you to build filters and store them in the database.  You can apply these filters in MyMovies for Media Center later.

Of course you can "open" a title to see the details.

Playback:

In the above picture you can see there's a "play" button.  MM allows you to start playback of your movies and watch them in Media Center.  This is where the online/offline things comes to sense.  If the movie is offline, you will be prompted to insert the disc.  If however the movie is stored online it will play it from there.  Movies can be stored in different format like .ISO, Folder structures, MPEG or whatever you want, but I will talk about this in another post.

MM doesn't have it's own playback program, it needs to rely on whatever you have in your Media Center.  For DVD's it will take the player that is configured as the default one in your MC.  If you haven't installed your own it will use Media Centers playback program.  Unfortunately WMC doesn't support Blu-Ray or HD-DVD so you will need a program that can play them.  MyMovies can use PowerDVD and Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre.  I don't know if WinDVD is supported.

The Collection Management program keeps track of the discs that are part of a title, their location type and location.

On the second picture you see the location types.  This is how you tell MM if your movie is stored online or offline and whether it's in a folder structure, a single file or on a disc changer.  The MyMovies program in media center will use this information and after starting your playback program it will point it to the right source.  If you keep your movies in .ISO files then you need to install the free VirtualCloneDrive from SlySoft (makers of AnyDVD) and MyMovies will mount the image in a virtual drive before making this drive the source for playback in your program.  When the movie finishes, MM automatically marks it as "Watched" which is a flag that can be used in the filters.

Next post: Ripping movies.

ninehours

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 09:46:54 PM »
I have been using it but for me it's not as good as profiler (yet)

My Movies

MyMovies Collection
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:48:49 PM by ninehours »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 10:32:56 PM »
I decided to try and export and import my DVDs to MM. I exported my collection to my desk top "Collection" which looks like a piece of paper with a fold on the upper right corner.

When I go to MM and hit import I see "DVD Profiler XML (3.x)".

When I hit "DVD Profiler XML (3.x)" I get "Choose DVD Profiler exported database"

I then hit the imported "Collection", which is listed as an XML file, I placed on my desk top. When I hit "Open" I get a prompt "Browse For Folder" "Select where DVD Profiler database is stored (typically in My Documents\DVD Profiler)".

But, when I hit the DVD Profiler folders, nothing happens.

So, what do I do? Or, what am I doing wrong?

Najemikon

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 10:46:13 PM »
Eric will likely confirm, but you might need to go to the DVD Profiler folder, then select the Databases folder. In there is another called Default. Try that one.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 11:13:23 PM »
Eric will likely confirm, but you might need to go to the DVD Profiler folder, then select the Databases folder. In there is another called Default. Try that one.

:yahoo: Something is happening...I don't know what...but something! :yahoo:

Touti

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 11:30:56 PM »
I think it needs the path to your DVDP collection to import your cover images.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 11:46:37 PM »
Earlier today I was updating a few DVD for DVDP and when I put the disc in MM asked me if I wanted to contribute them. I've earned a bunch of points, 30 something, for just a couple of DVDs. I don't know what that means yet but I've never earned anything on DVDP for contributing!

It looks like Jon's suggestion was correct - it looks like things are importing - my "progress" green line is increasing!

Touti

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 11:59:39 PM »
With a collection of 5000 movies it's gonna take some time for the import to complete.  The point system is how you unlock features in MM.  You can either purchase them or earn them with your contributions. 

This page details what features need points and how many.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 12:06:13 AM »
Thanks Eric. I don't know what I want or would use but its going to be fun playing around.

ninehours

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »
The point system is how you unlock features in MM.  You can either purchase them or earn them with your contributions.

At the moment i have

Contribution Points: 6247

It can be quite addictive trying to collect those stars  :stars:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:15:06 AM by ninehours »

Touti

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 12:15:45 AM »
You have way more than me Nick.  I got 845 contribution points and when my trial expired I bought what I needed to keep my features  :-[

Kathy,  MM is for people who want to use their computer as a DVD Player and/or have disc changers and want to catalog the discs and control the changer from their computers.

As a management program for collectors who need to catalog and profile their collection, keep track of what they own, when and where they purchased it and that kind of things DVDP is is by far better than MM.  As I said in a previous post, MM doesn't even have personalization fields yet and I don't know if they developers plan on adding it. Still, it's always fun to play with a new program and see what else is available.

Personally I really enjoy having my movies on a network drive and watching them from the computer.  I moved my HD-DVD reader to the Windows Home Server machine which I use to rip my DVD's and HD-DVD movies.  Later this year I will sell my regular BR player and put one in the computer int the living room and I will become HTPC only user, no more shelf player.