Author Topic: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Official Review Thread - T.V. Show Editon  (Read 21103 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Official Review Thread - T.V. Show Editon
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 02:51:47 AM »

Samurai Jack: Season 1 Disc 1

The Plot: A warrior is sent forward in time to defeat a shape shifting menace who enslaved the earth. He must travel back in time to prevent it from ever happening.

My Thoughts: Wow, this brings back memories. I used to watch Samurai Jack every night on Cartoon Network's "Toonami".  :) Although, I didn't remember many plot lines. You know, I'd estimate this show to be about 5% dialogue? Still good!

The first disc had a lot of memorable episodes. The pilot, for one. Really sets the scene. The one where Aku disguised himself as a woman (one of my favorites) was disturbing yet awesome. The action and artwork here is a real point in this series. If you search youtube for the opening, you'd see for yourself if it's something you'd enjoy. After a while though, you do get tired of it, but there is somewhat of an addicting quality to this show.

My Rating
Out of 5

RossRoy

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 04:26:44 AM »

Samurai Jack: Season 1 Disc 1

I love this show! The choreography for the fights is awesome and I loke how they manage to get the story across, despite a lot of the show being just Jack moving around. The animation is top notch and a "simplified" drawing style gives it a sort of class I really appreciate.

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 11:39:45 PM »

Samurai Jack: Season 1 Disc 2

The Plot: A warrior is sent forward in time to defeat a shape shifting menace who enslaved the earth. He must travel back in time to prevent it from ever happening.

My Thoughts: Ok, finishing off season 1 was a lot more entertaining! The last episode was especially funny, Aku telling fairy tales to kids, seeing he isn't feared anymore, trying to make Jack look bad and himself look like a hero! :laugh: @Aku, C'mon, dude! You turned a dragon-like planet eater into beef jerky?  :hysterical:

Other than that, the Scottsman was especially memorable, calling Jack out with his basket-hat and his grandma robe!!! Especially good episodes, right here!!

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »

Samurai Jack: Season 2 Disc 1

My Thoughts: Ok, this disc was pretty neat. In one episode you get to see memories of Jack's home: his first little kiss, the first time he witnessed warriors fighting, and just being with his family. You really get a good understanding of his bachground.

Comedy wise, OH MY GOD the Scottsman's wife!!!! :hysterical: Yup, that dude comes back saying he needs help rescuing his dainty darling and, um, well, I'll see if I can find a picture of her.

(click to show/hide)

:laugh:

All in all, a great bunch of wepisodes. The art and pacing really take your breathe away, but that goes without saying for this series!!

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 01:04:38 AM »

Samurai Jack: Season 2 Disc 2

My Thoughts: Pretty interesting episodes.

A couple in particular, though, raised a very important question - What happens when Jack has no clothes to wear, or his sandels are destroyed?? I mean, in battle, which is almost every episode, his clothes are completely battle damaged!! Then, when we see him again in the next episode, his clothes are perfect as always! Just a minor inconsistancy throughout the series.

Seeing this, those particular episodes are pretty funny when you think about it, cuz its like 'I guess he goes through this every time he's got nothing to wear'!! (Not really the plot to Episode XXIII, but somewhat.) The action was crisp as always.

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 01:44:40 AM »

Samurai Jack Season 3 Disc 1

The Plot: A warrior is sent forward in time to defeat a shape shifting menace who enslaved the earth. He must travel back in time to prevent it from ever happening

My Thoughts: Ok....first episode......Jack got turned into a chicken. 'nuff said. Actually no, gotta say one thing, not sure whether to put a  :laugh: or a  :-\ smiley cuz that was just....um, you the the picture. But the scene at the end had me in stitches.

"Ah, Jack. The usual chicken soup?"

"NO CHICKEN!! I mean.....I think I will try the shrimp instead, today, thank you."

lol

That episode was followed by exceptional action as promised in this series. But,
(click to show/hide)

Finally, the disc was finished off with a giant but adorable creature screwing up Jack on his journies every step of the way! Very funny and entertaining.

My Rating
Out of 5

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 03:02:06 AM »

Samurai Jack: Season 3 Disc 2

The Plot: A warrior is sent forward in time to defeat a shape shifting menace who enslaved the earth. He must travel back in time to prevent it from ever happening

My Thoughts: I have to say, I am extremely sorry I don't have the last season of this!! :(

Last disc, I have to say, you cannot beat the pure Epicness of it! Here, you see the origin of Aku! You see people who fight and trained under the same principles as Jack! You see a humorous spy-esque finale season 3 episode along with the origin of the magic sword. That combined with the amazing quality of this show?...........unbeatable!! :thumbup:

My Rating
Out of 5

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »
Wow - you polished off those 3 seasons quickly! I wish I had the last season to send you.

Christmas is coming soon - you'll have to leave some hints for your dad...maybe I can help... ;)

HEY PETE:

My Thoughts: I have to say, I am extremely sorry I don't have the last season of this!! :(

Can anyone help make wishes come true?  :tease:

RossRoy

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »

Can anyone help make wishes come true?  :tease:

I would... but I love that show as much as she does! so...

Maybe we could each contribute 2$ to the cause ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 09:09:47 PM »
Well... her birthday is next month! But I will have to see what I can do this month or not.... as it isn't here locally and it would be too late to get it when I get paid next month (get paid on 3rd her b'day is on 4th). We will have to see how much it is and who can do what. :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2010, 06:08:09 AM »
Maybe we could each contribute 2$ to the cause ;)
:hmmmm:

:thumbup:

(just had a massive déjà vu over this :headscratch:)

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 05:24:32 AM »
WHOA HAS IT REALLY BEEN 2 YEARS???  :o :o :o :o

well kinda almost 2 years since it was October, but still....

I'm going back to these forums again, but I'll be running things a little differently. I'll watch a show completely and write a review overall. you can expect something the length of what I did for the Death Note movies. I can't say much for episode-by-episode, so I think this method will be best for me.

And yes, you can expect a lot of the series to be anime.

I will write my first new review tomorrow, and I shall not reveal what it is!!!  :devil:

(click to show/hide)

:slaphead:

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »

Ouran Koukou (High School) Host Club

Plot: Fujioka Haruhi won a scholarship to attend Ouran Academy, a school reserved for the rich and prestigious. Despite what other students may think of her, Haruhi cares little for physical appearances or the fact that she is a commoner. Unfortunately for Haruhi, her high school days took a turn when she stumbled upon the Host Club, an elite club for the super rich and beautiful boys who use their specific traits and charms to entertain young ladies. Even worse was that Haruhi had accidentally broken an 8 million yen vase in the club. Unable to repay her debt with money, Haruhi found herself with no choice but to work for the Host Club, becoming a male host herself.

Opening:

My Thoughts: Yes! This thread is alive! A surprising first review isn't it? Take a look at some other the other anime I watch. Death Note. Fullmetal Alchemist. Bleach. Black Butler. OHSHC really doesn't fit in here, does it? Well, after all of that action and psychological stuff in the others, why not take a break with a comedy?

First, let's look at the characters. First is a girl dressed like a boy to pay off a debt. Nothing unusual there. Tamaki ... I wouldn't know how to describe him. Idiotic and obnoxious, while still being sweet, I guess. Vic Mignogna did an excellent job here. Kyouya is the brains behind the club, the money manager, and secretly devious. You can tell, of course, by the fact that he has the same voice actor as Sebastian from Black Butler. Honey is a 5-year-old trapped in a ... 5-year-old's body. But he's supposed to be like 17. Mori, the guy that never talks. And of course, the twins. Their both devious as well, though their schtick in the club is to fake homosexuality/incest to get the girls in the host club to go crazy with fangirl-ness. (On that note, anyone who feels uncomfortable with this aspect will definitely not enjoy this anime. These kinds of jokes appear too often to look past it if you don't like. Lower my rating to about a 2 in your mind to get an idea of where you'd be if this was the case.)

Looking at the humor, I can honestly say it can't be more perfectly balanced.  ;D As stated above, yes, there are a lot of gay jokes. Especially with the twins. But there is normal humor and even a touch of physical comedy in here too. In fact, the primary focus, as I see it, is the conflict between the rich and the working class. How severe is it? Well, let's just say that in the first episode Haruhi made the mistake of buying instant coffee. The rich people either claimed to have never heard of it or were fascinated by it, so the club leader, Tamaki, was praised like a King for being daring enough to try some. But it's not all about rich or poor either. As an example, Tamaki became depressed that he couldn't impress Haruhi's father, so he started growing mushrooms in his little corner. Or, when it comes to Honey, pretty much every problem can be solved with cake. Then there is the addition of Lobelia Girl's Academy, which attempted to recruit the only girl dressed  like a boy into their school, and Umehito Nekozawa, the president of the school's Black Magic club. Though, I'm almost certain that he and his little cursed hand-puppet are the only members.

Something to consider though is that this isn't all laughs. There is also a fair share of high school drama. As a basic outline of what you see in this series, the backgrounds shown in this anime covers:

- why the twins only spent time with each other up until about a year prior to the beginning of the show
- Mori and Honey's attachment to each other.
- Kyouya's shaky relationship with his father, brothers, and family company
- how Haruhi became so independent
- Honey's past with the military

I'm sure there are quite a few more that I'm forgetting, but this should set a good example for you. Again, the key here is balance because people need a break from the seriousness but the comic relief can't be too strong. I admit, sometimes with this show it can be so I guess it really isn't even that balanced at all. The point is that there is something for both sides, comedy and drama. Now, obviously unlike other anime I'm used to this shows has pretty much no fighting at all, unless you count episode five, entitled "The Twins Fight". I'm afraid to say that this show may have revealed the girl in me.  :bag: I still really like it. To me there were a couple points where some of the jokes went a little too far or were just plain uncomfortable, but some moments were just amazing. And look at the concept. A girl pretending to be a man. Hmm, Mulan anyone? Ok, maybe I've just seen too many Disney movies. Still, this was very enjoyable. And, if a certain someone would think to get me the new release of the series set of this show from my wishlist at Amazon for say my birthday, Christmas, or maybe even a little junior-year graduation surprise I wouldn't be against it.  ;)

My Rating:    
Out of Five

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »

Ouran Koukou (High School) Host Club
Drama Series

Plot: Fujioka Haruhi won a scholarship to attend Ouran Academy, a school reserved for the rich and prestigious. Despite what other students may think of her, Haruhi cares little for physical appearances or the fact that she is a commoner. Unfortunately for Haruhi, her high school days took a turn when she stumbled upon the Host Club, an elite club for the super rich and beautiful boys who use their specific traits and charms to entertain young ladies. Even worse was that Haruhi had accidentally broken an 8 million yen vase in the club. Unable to repay her debt with money, Haruhi found herself with no choice but to work for the Host Club, becoming a male host herself.

My Thoughts: Uh-huh. ANOTHER Ouran review. This time, the show is in live action. I heard through a newsletter for the Risembool Rangers (long story) that it was becoming a movie too. I, liking the anime, was overcome with curiosity. It took me about an afternoon to watch the whole series, regrettably. It only lasted 11 episodes (again, all available on DVD, dad! ;) ) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great adaptation.

Plot-wise, it's the same as the anime. Girl dress up like boy to pay off debt from breaking vase. Love problems. Comedy. All present and accounted for. What was surprising was the meyhods they used to bring the anime to life. They REALLY brought the anime to life!!! Think of what happens so cartoonishly in those shows. Someone gets depressed and a raincloud forms over his head, or in this show's case, they start to grow mushrooms in a corner. When something is evil, there is a black aura around it. When someone is in love, his heart beats actually outside of his chest.

They kept everything. All of it was done over again even with it being set in the real world.

I can understand if a lot of people are put off by that. I know my father absolutely hates the anime style and this show would absolutely get on his and probably your nerves too. But, at least give it a try, I say! I think being so much like a cartoon even with real people adds to its comedic value. And speaking of comedic value, guess who makes an appearance even more regular than the manager Renge in this adaptation? No other than the Black Magic Club president, Nekozawa.  I thought he was pretty funny in the anime, but in this show, between his regular appearance and the real-life version of a certain episode involving his sister, you really can't not love him by the end of it.

However, as good as the show itself may be, the cast isn't perfect. The hair colors, of course, are all wrong. There are supposed to be a couple blonds and red-heads, all I see is black and dark/light brown. Tamaki, the leader of the Host Club who is supposed to be adored for his beauty, doesn't look all that great to me - then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I guess that's just the way I see him. And Honey, no matter how much you cover it up with fluffy stuffed bunnies, cake, and a special "shortening" effect, is too tall to be Honey. Honey does not just magically get smaller when he jumps into someone's arms. He is supposed to be just that naturally short and cute and adorable little teen.  :weep: I can't help but think that this character got the worst out of the deal.

If that doesn't bug you, which it shouldn't if you haven't seen the anime, then the rest is pretty golden. Everything I said in the previous review applies in this one considering the similar story lines. Having only 11 episodes where the anime had 26, they skipped a lot of filler but all of the meat of the show is still there. The only real complaint I have is that I have yet to be able to find a dub version of this and while I have no problem with subtitles (as in, I don't HATE them) I still find it troublesome to read while watching TV.  :bag:

In Conclusion:

- same plot, story line, everything said in last review.
- a lot of anime effects
- Nekozawa stole the show
- cast was off, but someone could look past it             
- subtitles can be a pain

add that all up, and you get an idea of how you may or may not be into this show. my rating does not look at positives or negatives, though. just overall enjoyment. with the same story as the anime with a couple twists here and there, is there any wonder why I gave it the same rating?

My Rating:    
Out of Five

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »
The hair colors, of course, are all wrong. There are supposed to be a couple blonds and red-heads, all I see is black and dark/light brown.

This is common in live-action adaptions of anime/manga. In anime they choose to do different hair color (usually depending on character type) to make it easier to difference between the characters. It's a stylistic device. But in live-action, they cannot do this, as Japanese people all have dark hair color by nature. And dying your hair is not really accepted in Japanese society. Only delinquents and Yakuza-type characters usually do.

See the Death Note movies. Also there they didn't dye the characters' hair. Not even Misa. A matter which also bothered you if I remember correctly.
Even Onizuka (of the Great Teacher Onizuka), in which it was a big point that the character (a teacher) dyed his hair blonde and therefore seen as a trouble-maker, only had brown hair in the live-action series. Still a great adaption though in my opinion.
The great live-action series adaption of Gokusen is almost an exception, where the students get colored hair to show them as big troublemakers. But even there they mostly only have colored strands of hair.