Author Topic: DVD Profiler Help  (Read 24662 times)

Critter

DVD Profiler Help
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:32:13 AM »
So I finally downloaded DVD Profiler but I am a bit stuck with it. If I try to add a DVD it says that the online profile list is required and has a download now option. When I do click download now though it just opens up a window saying that something is pending, then goes back to the same screen saying the online profile list is required. I've been stuck in this circle for some time now.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Profiler Help
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:08:31 AM »
Oh, it's been a while I had to deal with setting up the program.

If you close the program it should ask you if you want to perform pending downloads. Have you tried saying yes there?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:51:23 AM »
Are you sitting behind a company firewall or some such? Open Tools->Options->Online and test if your online connection works in general. :)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Critter

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:11:10 AM »
I closed the program, opened it again and did the online test which proved successful. It then started working straight away and is allowing me to add DVD's. I don't know what it's problem was before, I have a feeling it was just being moody. Thanks guys. :thumbup:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:19:47 AM by Critter »

richierich

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
I have a feeling it was just being moody. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Is it a female PC??

:devil:

:tomato:

Critter

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 01:55:15 PM »
Is it a female PC??

Interestingly enough I have always thought of it as a male PC. It appears they can chuck a hissy fit too. Although I think my last PC was female and she literally blew up (smoke coming out an all).

Critter

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:46:23 AM »
Everytime I add a DVD it goes into the 'pending' list. So far they are all pending. What does that actually mean? And how long does it need to pend for before it can go into the actual list?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:51:25 AM »
Everytime I add a DVD it goes into the 'pending' list. So far they are all pending. What does that actually mean? And how long does it need to pend for before it can go into the actual list?
When you press "Add Now to Owned" they get downloaded and added to your actual list.
Or you change "Add Now to Owned" to "Add Now to Wishlist" etc. before pressing the button.

Critter

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:05:05 AM »
Thanks Tom. As you are all probably discovering, when it comes to technology I almost always need help. Now I just need someone to help me work my Playstation 3... :-\

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 05:54:51 AM »
Thanks Tom. As you are all probably discovering, when it comes to technology I almost always need help. Now I just need someone to help me work my Playstation 3... :-\
I can be of long-distance assistance, if on-site support is not required :)

Critter

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 06:35:44 AM »
I can be of long-distance assistance, if on-site support is not required :D

Thanks Achim! I'll do my best to describe the problems I am having. Basically it is working fine for playing games and DVD's so far but for the life of me I cannot get the internet to work on it. This means so far I haven't been able to access PSN or hardly any of the other features I was looking forward too. We have wireless broadband throughout the house and spent ages trying to connect the PS3 unit. The wierd thing is that when I look at the info for the internet, our wireless connection shows up, and says there is a 100% signal strength and that the connection is strong, but everytime I do a connection test it says it failed. I know it's probably something you need to see to be able to figure out but as I said before, I'm just not great with a lot of tecnology and this has me stumped.  :shrug:

Edit: It tells me I am getting 'DNS error 80710102'
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:17:06 AM by Critter »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 07:49:15 AM »
This is indeed a bit tricky to do from afar...

Did you go through the setup procedure for the Internet Connection? Just testing it is not good enough. the procedure is mainly automated and you simply have to answer some basic questions; most items can be set to automatic for now. Also, is your "router" (the wireless station that actually conencts to the wired internet) set up to allow a connection from the PS3?

Normally the "router" should be setup to do "DHCP", meaning it will gave a name (IP address) to each device that wants to use the interent. On the other end, that will be one of the settings you will have to tell the PS3.

But let's slow down again, maybe: Did you go through the setup procedure for the Internet Connection? If not, do it, if yes, can you do it once again and give me the questions and answers you select during the process?

Critter

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 11:16:32 AM »
Okay so my Mum's boyfriend had a look at it and he is someone who teaches networking as a proffesion. He basically told me that all of the information we have put in is correct, the MAC address the Wep key etc etc but it still won't work. He said it comes down to two things, either the PS3 isn't working or the wireless acess something (can't remember what he said) isn't doing it's job right. We might try and get a new wireless access thing and see if that works.

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 12:57:18 PM »
Get him to check the DNS configuration on the wireless router. I suspect it hasn't got anything entered.

Every website/computer on the net has an IP address (192.168.1.0 is a standard example). www.google.com is currently 66.102.9.99. DNS is for want of a better term, the telephone directory for the Internet. It knows when you type in "www.something..." that you really want "82.145... whatever".

All computers need to be told how to find their DNS server, or "directory". It sounds like your console doesn't know where to look.

In a typical home network, you can configure DNS in two places; your computer or your router. Ideally, your router should be set to automatically find its DNS settings from whoever provides your Internet connection and in turn, your computer should be set to get all its settings automatically from your router (DHCP as Achim told you).

But if your computer has been manually set to get its DNS from elsewhere and your router isn't being told where to go (in other words your PC is leapfrogging the router for that particular function), then your PS3 will be lost in the middle with exactly the symptons you describe.

If Achim's suggestion hasn't worked, there's a quick way to check. From your PC, click 'Start' then 'Run'. Type 'cmd' and press enter. In the window that opens up type:

ipconfig /all

Lots of numbers will come up. At the bottom of the list you'll see "DNS" and two IP addresses. If they start "192." something, then the router is providing DNS and your PS3 should be getting it just the same. If it starts with any other number, then the PC is manually getting to its own server, bypassing the router.

I've no idea how, but a quick fix would be to set the PS3 to manually reach the same DNS addresses on the PC.

This isn't a hard and fast rule; there are exceptions. But it's a typical starting point. Another quick check would be to connect your PS3 by cable (do they have ethernet ports?) just to test it, because some routers can have different settings on their wired versus wireless interfaces.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:59:24 PM by Jon »

MEJHarrison

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »
I hate to suggest the obvious, but I entered "PS3 DNS error 80710102" into Google and got quite a few hits.  Have you checked any of those?  In fact, the second link to show up claims to Have a Solution.