Author Topic: Complete Director Collections?  (Read 6795 times)

Najemikon

Re: Complete Director Collections?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 02:21:27 PM »
They do, but I also wanted the Japanese cut (extended and House of Blue Leaves not in b&w). I bought it off Ebay and it's only the second time I got caught out; turned out to be a copy. To Ebay's credit, looking at the guys history, this was his first dodgy title and his feedback rating dropped so far and so fast he was kicked off. I watched it, but didn't keep it, so I have at least seen the full version and that's the one I want now!  :hysterical:

RossRoy

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 02:25:58 PM »
I don't really care about an extended or combined version, all I want is the House of Blue Leaves scene in color damnit! Is that too much to ask?

snowcat

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 05:07:58 PM »
I don't really care about an extended or combined version, all I want is the House of Blue Leaves scene in color damnit! Is that too much to ask?

....Well, I don't have the DVD but an old teacher of mine cut the scene from his DVD for me :S I have it on a hard drive somewhere.... its very impressive...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 05:55:38 PM »
They do, but I also wanted the Japanese cut (extended and House of Blue Leaves not in b&w). I bought it off Ebay and it's only the second time I got caught out; turned out to be a copy. To Ebay's credit, looking at the guys history, this was his first dodgy title and his feedback rating dropped so far and so fast he was kicked off. I watched it, but didn't keep it, so I have at least seen the full version and that's the one I want now!  :hysterical:

I have unfortunately never seen the color version of the tea house fight. I understand Disney merely owns the right to they film they distributed theatrically and since that was the US version with the b&w bit that is the only way they can put it out on DVD and Blu-ray. All other rights remain with the Weinsteins. And since they sold the company (or whatever went on there) the rights are even more unclear. I wish I could see the other version, just not sure when it can happen and if at that point I still care enough. The b&w scene works quite alright as it is. Of course, there is also the stuff with the trunk scene...

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »

The Japanese version is fully coloured. R2 though.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 06:05:06 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

RossRoy

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 06:03:16 PM »
The japanese version is fully coloured. R2 though.

Yeah I know, but I'm not a big fan of buying multi-region. And I don't have any rational argument why, I just don't like it.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »
The b&w scene works quite alright as it is.

I like the switch to B&W and back and I can't really imagine it improving by being all color.
Matthias

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 11:16:32 PM »
I don't see this DVD in the invelos database - I even checked region 2. Does it have a different title? How did everyone find out about this movie? This is the one based on the play, correct?

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 01:17:36 AM »

I like the switch to B&W and back and I can't really imagine it improving by being all color.

It's also longer with more cute gags (eyeball!) and in colour it is astonishingly gory. Some feel too much for Western viewers, which is what I meant before when I said it's heavily influenced by anime and manga, more than samurai movies.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 10:43:17 AM »
I don't see this DVD in the invelos database - I even checked region 2. Does it have a different title? How did everyone find out about this movie? This is the one based on the play, correct?

"House of the Blue Leaves" is a chapter in Kill Bill Vol. 1. ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:45:23 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 10:44:21 AM »

It's also longer with more cute gags (eyeball!) and in colour it is astonishingly gory. Some feel too much for Western viewers, which is what I meant before when I said it's heavily influenced by anime and manga, more than samurai movies.

The japanese cut also explains how Sofie lost her second arm.
Karsten

Critter

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 12:17:25 PM »
I didn't even know there was a House of Blue Leaves in colour. I must find this!

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 12:51:15 PM »

:bag:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 02:05:01 PM »
The japanese cut also explains how Sofie lost her second arm.
That was what I meant with "trunk scene". Seems I was too careful and this film cannot really be  spoilered...?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 03:44:59 PM »

:bag:

It happens ;)

(click to show/hide)
Karsten