Author Topic: Complete Director Collections?  (Read 6794 times)

Rogmeister

Complete Director Collections?
« on: December 12, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had (or planned to get) any complete DVD collection of a given director?  I actually have a couple...I have all the films of Joel & Ethan Coen which totals 13 films.  Of course, this doesn't include their latest which has yet to be released on DVD.  My biggest collection here, though, is that of Steven Spielberg.  I have all of the feature films he directed from The Sugarland Express to his most recent Indiana Jones film (somehow a few got separated from the others so I don't know for sure how many that is, but they're around here somewhere).  I also have Duel (a TV movie) but I don't have the Twilight Zone movie since he directed just one segment of that.  I do have more Hitchcock films than Spielberg films but I don't have every Hitch film and probably never will...there's probably some not available.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Complete Director Collections?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »
I own all of the Kevin Smith movies (I think) and all except the Basterds from QT.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Rogmeister

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »
I've now found the two Spielberg movies I was missing...I had originally planned to use them in a marathon and had moved them for that purpose.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 09:51:45 PM »
I'm one shy of having all of Preston Sturges' films. I need to get The Sins of Harold Diddlebock, and it will be complete.

snowcat

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »
I own all Kevin Smith movies, Judd Apatow, Adam Mckay, Ben Stiller, George Lucas and Robbert Zemeckis (bar A Christmas Carol, which is not released yet.)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
Does it count if I've all the movies directed by Jenna Fischer?
More seriously I try very hard to get anything directed by Joe Sarno, Radley Metzger and Shaun Costello but it ain't easy (for Costello it's almost impossible since he had directed more than one hundred movies and most of them are actually considered lost).

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »
Mel Brooks and Kevin Smith are the only two that I know I own everything they did. I might have others but I wouldn't know how to find that data easily. I did a quick "Sort by" of my collection but then I'd have to look up each director and then all the movies they did...that's too time consuming.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 10:37:39 PM »
Since I have a lot of modern independent cinema in my collection, I actually have quite a lot directors completed, because they haven't made that many movies yet.

I rarely aim to complete a director's oevre purposefully, because if they have made a significant number of movies (let's say 5 or more), there is almost always at least one odd one out, which I don't care about. But every rule has is exceptions, and in the case of Hal Hartley I did indeed do the collector's thing and got all of his movies on purpose.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 10:56:51 PM »
Not sure. I was going to assume Kevin Smith, but I don't have Jersey Girl. Not even Spielberg or Tarantino (never bought the Kill Bills in the hope the new cut would be released. Sod's Law dictates that it will be announced the day after I get the Blus!). By the way, Roger, the version of Duel you have is technically a theatrical release as it will contain the extra scenes filmed for cinemas in Europe...  ;)

Critter

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »
I don't have them yet but the three directors I would like to collect everything of are Tim Burton, Hayao Miayazaki and Quentin Tarantino *hides from Tarantino hate :bag:*

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 12:12:03 AM »
*hides from Tarantino hate :bag:*
Am I that frightening :laugh:

I'm not the one to judge others people taste, just look at what I usually watch... for most people this isn't a proof of good taste in film, but for me it is. Taste is in the eyes of the watcher, if he/she like what he/she watch it's good taste for him/her and at the end this is the only thing that counts.

By the way, this is a game for me. Sure I don't like him, but not that much (it's just fun to tease Jon and the other Tarantino fan).

I even own 2 release of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 12:26:06 AM »
I never really cared about any crew that much. I never really followed any. At least not like I do cast. Though I do like to collect Stephen King's stuff (I know... he isn't a director).  :P

And Jimmy... you don't frighten me any. But to be honest... Tarantino never really overly impressed me either from the few I actually seen. I actually liked him acting more then being behind the camera.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 02:15:07 AM »
I think one reason I'm into directors is when I was in my movie-going prime in the 70s and 80s is that I didn't just go to the movies but I was always reading up on them...reading books, Variety, and magazines like Starlog and American Cinematographer and the like.  And Spielberg was just starting his career at that time so I got to enjoy him in his prime on the big screen.  Like Hitchcock, so many directors in the old days made so many movies that getting a complete collection would be practically impossible.  I can't imagine getting every John Ford film, for instance.

Critter

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 03:14:43 AM »
I'm not the one to judge others people taste, just look at what I usually watch... for most people this isn't a proof of good taste in film, but for me it is. Taste is in the eyes of the watcher, if he/she like what he/she watch it's good taste for him/her and at the end this is the only thing that counts.

Haha you aren't too frightening, people just have really strong opinions when it comes to dislike of Tarantino. I appriciate what you said here though.  :thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 08:46:30 AM »
I used to try this, but I now am more successful in trying not to buy the bad stuff of a director just to complete the collection.

Robert Rodriguez made some pretty bad kiddy films besides Spy Kids.
Quentin Tarantino made Four Rooms and I wouldn't want to buy a whole Season of CSI, let alone ER, just to get his episode.
John Carpenter made Memoirs of an Invisible Man and some other less-than stellar films.

So, I guess the only I have complete at this point should probably be Neil Marshall (even all in Blu).

(never bought the Kill Bills in the hope the new cut would be released. Sod's Law dictates that it will be announced the day after I get the Blus!).
So I am not the only ones that happened to? :laugh:

I eventually caved in. The Disney releases of Vol. 1 + 2 got excellent reviews and from what I could see there is just too much disagreement about the copyright or otherwise that a release from the Weinstein's seems far off. So now they would have to offer me some real good reason to double-dip. After all, they work great as separate films.