Author Topic: Curtain Call  (Read 122508 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Curtain Call
« Reply #540 on: November 29, 2011, 03:34:18 AM »
I think I'll get the BFI version. From what I read in Mark Kermode's book MGM apparently still s no closer to appreciating the film. Maybe we need to suggest tis film to The Criteion Collection :hmmmm:

I would imagine the X rated theatrical cut is maybe the most complete we'll ever see ths film...? Maybe Kermode will comment some more in the months to come.

Najemikon

« Reply #541 on: November 29, 2011, 09:26:38 PM »
...only if it isn't changing history as Lucas and Spielberg did so many times...

Just to clear, it's Lucas who likes to fiddle, not Spielberg. He digitally enhanced E.T. and produced a better cut of Third Encounters, plus a couple of digital tweaks to Indy. That's it and he's on record as saying that he won't be tinkering with any others. I think he learned from E.T. and has said he won't even clean up matte lines or model strings. Apparently in 1941 you can see the strings bringing a model plane into land and he now embraces such quirks as part of the film-making.

I meant the Final Cut when I said that, sorry I wasn't clear. And I still think the point stands - Ridley Scott used technology to make a film he couldn't have made in 1982 (or whenever it was), so in a sense he "had another go".

I'm not sure I agree with that. The film was taken away from Scott or else he was forced to add the narration and happy ending. In 1991, the producers gave him the opportunity to re-edit, but with no budget. All he could do was best efforts and settled for removing the narration and the ending. The Final Cut was when he was given the budget to produce the film as he always saw it. There wasn't much in the new cut that relied on modern tech; the meat and potatoes were still in the narrative, character and editing. Obviously he took the opportunity to improve a couple of bits, even getting the original Snake Charmer actress to add to her scene running through the glass, but the point was that he was able to deliver the story he wasn't allowed to tell before.

I think I'll get the BFI version. From what I read in Mark Kermode's book MGM apparently still s no closer to appreciating the film. Maybe we need to suggest tis film to The Criteion Collection :hmmmm:

I would imagine the X rated theatrical cut is maybe the most complete we'll ever see ths film...? Maybe Kermode will comment some more in the months to come.

For a while now, I've been unable to enjoy Criterion because they're using region coded Blu's, but I have to say Eureka and BFI in the UK are their equal. The Masters of Cinema range from Eureka is marvellous. I suspect they share some of Criterions stuff, but I don't want to take the chance. Ken Russell was a British director, The Devils a British film, so Criterion have to keep their mitts off because the last thing I want is a Blu us Brits can't have!  :P

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 29, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »
Is it kind of ironic that I've a region free Blu-ray reader when you are way more enthusiastic on this format that I am...

Najemikon

« Reply #543 on: November 29, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »
 :voodoo:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 29, 2011, 11:07:17 PM »
:tease:

I'm surprise you don't have one as I thought it was easier to buy one at the old continent compare to here.

Too bad the other HD format wasn't sucessfull as it was region free (not to mention a better one from everything I've read).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:11:47 PM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #545 on: November 29, 2011, 11:44:22 PM »
From what I saw, Blu was the deserved winner! ;) But no, multi-region BR players are not common here at all...

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #546 on: December 03, 2011, 01:25:43 AM »
Bill McKinney

Probably best known for 'Squeal like a pig!' in Deliverance.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 07, 2011, 06:45:38 PM »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 07, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »
RIP Harry Morgan

I always enjoyed his work.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #549 on: December 07, 2011, 07:24:38 PM »
RIP

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #550 on: December 08, 2011, 08:22:08 AM »
:(
I always liked him as Col. Potter.
I hadn't realized he was that old.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 14, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 19, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »

Rogmeister

« Reply #553 on: December 20, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »
I have a book Joe Simon wrote titled The Comic Book Makers.  That probably came out around the 1970's.

Another early comic book creator, Jerry Robinson, also passed away recently.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 02, 2012, 05:00:36 PM »