Author Topic: Curtain Call  (Read 122394 times)

Rogmeister

Re: Curtain Call
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2010, 10:54:01 PM »
I just read today that Dick Giordano passed away back in March.  The name may be familiar to those of you who are old-time comic book readers.  He probably first became popular in the 1960s.  He started off working for Charlton Comics, then went to DC Comics in the late 60's.  He did some original artwork but is probably best known artistically as an inker...he inked a lot of Batman stories, particularly those of Neal Adams and Irv Novick.  He also did some editing though most of his titles (Aquaman, Hawk and the Dove, etc.) wound up getting canceled.  I think he was about 78 when he passed away as I recall.  He had lymphona...but I forget what the exact cause of death was.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 09:05:58 PM by Antares »

Najemikon

« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2010, 09:15:55 PM »
Nice touch!  ;)

It is sad, but I have to say I like this Government's attitude. They've come in and made some painful decisions, but I really think too many in this country act like they deserve something, owed it even, without putting any effort in. It isn't money the British film industry needs, it's attitude. A lot of have been saying how films like This Is England wouldn't have got made, but I think that's an insult to Shane Meadows. He was making films before the council was in place and he has never changed his methods. I don't for one instant it would stop him now. And on the other side of the coin, Matthew Vaughan famously couldn't get help from them for Kick Ass.

The Government is also abolishing the Primary Care Trusts which have been screwing up the NHS for a few years. And on the back of it, they've also just announced a program to allow Doctors to prescribe drugs without so much red tape, which is just fantastic. People have literally been denied life extending/saving drugs because their prognosis isn't good enough (not value for money basically), even when Doctors have said they should have it.

Like I say, you have to see it to believe it. The changes are huge, but at least they are changes and they are all designed to make sure people think for themselves and get the help they need.

Back to the Council, hopefully the shortfall will be met by the BFI anyway who have always done a great job. There are conflicting ideas about how this affects them, but I'm optimistic. The reward will justify the journey. In two years, we've got the Olympics and hopefully we'll be a country worthy of hosting it.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »
In two years, we've got the Olympics and hopefully we'll be a country worthy of hosting it.

Maybe they'll create a special event for your country...Olympic Hooligan Rioting  :whistle:  :tease: :hysterical:

northbloke

« Reply #199 on: July 28, 2010, 01:20:43 AM »
Maybe they'll create a special event for your country...Olympic Hooligan Rioting  :whistle:  :tease: :hysterical:
And maybe the Eastern Bloc and Communist countries will boycot again so you guys can look good!  :devil:
(Just kidding)  :surrender:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 28, 2010, 01:24:30 AM »
And maybe the Eastern Bloc and Communist countries will boycot again so you guys can look good!  :devil:
(Just kidding)  :surrender:

This coming from a country where its modern day athletes still look comparable to the athletes in Chariots of Fire.

Ooh, did I say that?  :whistle: :devil: :laugh:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 28, 2010, 04:12:48 AM »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 30, 2010, 09:15:54 PM »
Willem Breuker, Dutch composer

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 30, 2010, 09:16:31 PM »
Yumiko Hasegawa, Toei actress of the 50's and 60's

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 30, 2010, 09:17:05 PM »
R&B crooner Al Davis.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:49:13 AM by Antares »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2010, 12:48:25 AM »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2010, 08:14:32 PM »

hal9g

« Reply #208 on: August 03, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
Mitch Miller

Bummer.  Can't tell you how many times, as a child, I followed the bouncing ball!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 03, 2010, 01:34:20 AM »
Mitch Miller

Bummer.  Can't tell you how many times, as a child, I followed the bouncing ball!

To be honest, I thought he died ages ago.  :-[