Author Topic: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD  (Read 106485 times)

richierich

Re: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2009, 06:48:14 PM »

Title: Black Christmas (1974)

Runtime:98
Certificate:R
Year:1974
Genres:Horror, Suspense/Thriller

Plot:Black Christmas is a stark and stylish horror/thriller that turns everyone's favorite time of the year inside out. Olivia Hussey and Margot Kidder star among an ill-fated houseful of sorority sisters celebrating the holiday season. Festivities turn fatal when obscene phone calls break the serenity and it becomes clear that a psychopath is stalking the house.

My Review:
Atmospheric and genuinely scary in parts, this 70's horror classic really delivers an alternative yuletide punch.
Stylishly produced and obviously gave ideas to the later produced Halloween, the inventive slaughter techniques, plot twists, and surprisingly good performances from the majority of cast hold this above other similar holiday horrors.
The sick prank phone calls are very graphic, the build up to each death convincing, and the light humour welcome.
Genuinely chilling without the need for gore, miles better than the remake, I personally find these older horrors much creepier and more convincing.
My Rating
 ;D

Najemikon

« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »
But overall this is an original, funny, arousing, bizarre indie film that I feel many members here will really appreciate in their collections.
It's already in my collection since Jon had talked about it the first time ;D
Like you I've really appreciated this film :thumbup:

I should watch it myself!  :hysterical:

richierich

« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2009, 07:40:37 PM »
But overall this is an original, funny, arousing, bizarre indie film that I feel many members here will really appreciate in their collections.

:o

Stick it in right now!!!!!

Said the nun to the bishop

Najemikon

« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »

:o

Stick it in right now!!!!!

Said the nun to the bishop

The filth!  :-X

I don't even own it. :bag: I just saw an article about it, a review, wishlisted it on Find DVD and then told you lot about it as it sounded like Jimmy's thing...  :-[

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2009, 09:27:34 PM »
Now that we are two to tell it's a good movie, go and get it :P

richierich

« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2009, 12:31:53 AM »

Title: The Black Dahlia

Runtime:116
Certificate:15
Year:2006
Genres:Drama, Suspense/Thriller

Plot:The Black Dahlia weaves a fictionalized tale of obsession, love, corruption, greed and depravity around the true story of the brutal murder of a fledgling Hollywood starlet that shocked and fascinated the nation in 1947 and remains unsolved today.  Two ex-pugilist cops, Lee Blanchard (Aaron Eckhart) and Bucky Bleichert (Josh Hartnett) are called to investigate the homicide of ambitious silver-screen B-lister Betty Ann Short (Mia Kirshner) A.K.A. "The Black Dahlia" - an attack so grisly that images of the killing were kept from the public.
While Blanchard's growing preoccupation with the sensational murder threatens his relationship with Kay (Scarlett Johansson), his partner Bleichert finds himself attracted to the enigmatic Madeleine Linscott (two time Oscar winner Hilary Swank), the daughter of on of the city's most prominent families - who just happens to have an unsavory connection to the murder victim.
True crime meets urban legend when De Palma brings Ellroy's The Black Dahlia to the big screen.

My Review:
Hollow and dull attempted portrayal of a true crime from history, told in the form of some noir gumshoe movie, and failing on all counts.
Despite a reasonable cast, a normaly successful director, a big budget, and a storyline from an apparently excellent book, they concentrate more on the relationships of the 2 main detective leads, and little on the investigation of the murder. The ending made no sense with characters that were not directly linked to the rest of the film, there is zero suspense or anticipation, the actors give mediocre performances (particularly Swank), and the lack of pace leads you willing the end to come soon.
The only element to admire in this whole sorry production are some spectacular cameraworked scenes reminiscent of Hitchcock.
A stylish disaster!
My Rating
 :yawn:

richierich

« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »

Title: Over Her Dead Body

Runtime:95
Certificate:12
Year:2008
Genres:Comedy, Fantasy, Romance

Plot:Eva Longoria Parker (TV’s Desperate Housewives) stars in this devilishly funny romantic comedy about holding onto the ones you love...even after you’re gone. When Kate (Longoria Parker) is killed by an ice sculpture on her wedding day, her fiancé Henry (Paul Rudd, Knocked Up) gives up on romance until he falls for the beautiful psychic (Lake Bell, TV’s Boston Legal) who’s supposed to be helping him move on. But Kate’s not having it, and she’s going to do whatever it takes to send their budding relationship six-feet-under.

My Review:
Fun little romcom, some belly laugh moments, and Eva Longoria Parker shining as the bitter ghost.
It is of course nonsense, but entertains just the same, and is an easy ride from start to finish.
Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed
My Rating
 :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:03:21 AM by Rich »

Najemikon

« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »

Title: Over Her Dead Body

Runtime:95
Certificate:12
Year:2008
Genres:Comedy, Fantasy, Romance

Plot:Eva Longoria Parker (TV’s Desperate Housewives) stars in this devilishly funny romantic comedy about holding onto the ones you love...even after you’re gone. When Kate (Longoria Parker) is killed by an ice sculpture on her wedding day, her fiancé Henry (Paul Rudd, Knocked Up) gives up on romance until he falls for the beautiful psychic (Lake Bell, TV’s Boston Legal) who’s supposed to be helping him move on. But Kate’s not having it, and she’s going to do whatever it takes to send their budding relationship six-feet-under.

My Review:
Fun little romcom, some belly laugh moments, and Eva Longoria Parker shining as the bitter ghost.
It is of course nonsense, but entertains just the same, and is an easy ride from start to finish.
Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed
My Rating
 :D

Never seen this, but it sounds like a version of the British film, Blithe Spirit (David Lean, 1945; based on play by Noel Coward). It's good, though very old fashioned. Fun, if you happen to catch it one day.

richierich

« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »

Title: Badder Santa

Runtime:99
Certificate:NR
Year:2003
Genres:Comedy

Plot:Hollywood favorites Billy Bob Thornton (The Alamo), Bernie Mac (Mr. 3000) and John Ritter (TV's 8 Simple Rules For Dating My Teenage Daughter) kick it up a notch in this unrated version of the outrageous comedy hit Bad Santa. You'd better watch out – Santa Claus Willie T. Stokes (Thornton) is coming to town and he doesn't care if you've been naughty or nice. Willie's favorite holiday tradition is to fill his sacks with loot lifted from shopping malls across the country. But this year his plot gets derailed by a wisecracking store detective (Mac), a sexy bartender (Lauren Graham – TV's Gilmore Girls) and a kid who's convinced Willie is the real Santa Claus! You're sure to believe in Bad Santa – The Unrated Version...once you experience this longer, funnier and more explicit motion picture!

My Review:
Hilarious film and one of my regular 'watchings' at this time of year. I like all the irony and different take on yuletide festivities, and the movie is held up by great performances from Thornton, Bernie Mac and Tony Cox as the 'elf'
The humour is very dark and continually 'adult', some scenes are very graphic, but it never oversteps the mark too much.
Unique, with an unconventional ending, not for family viewing but for me very enjoyable.
My Rating
 ;D

richierich

« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2009, 07:38:27 PM »

Title: Closer

Runtime:104
Certificate:14A
Year:2004
Genres:Drama, Comedy, Romance

Plot:A Witty, romantic, and very dangerous love story about chance meetings, instant atttractions, and casual betrayels. CLOSER is director Mike Nichols' critically acclaimed look at four strangers - Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Natalie Portman and Clive Owen - with one thing in common: each other Adapted by Patrick Marber from his award-winning stage play.
My Review:
Oddball story about a quartet of individuals whose lives intertwine. Incredibly foul-mouthed and topic wise graphically sexual, all 4 character leads are totally messed up both sexually and relationship wise.
Amazing to see 4 such famous actors in this type of film, but there was something about it, like a trainwreck, where you couldn't stop watching. It jumps around timewise without notice, so at times it is difficult to follow, and by the end of the movie you are left feeling deflated emotionally.
Watched once, never again.
My Rating
  :-\

Najemikon

« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »
Amazing to see 4 such famous actors in this type of film, but there was something about it, like a trainwreck, where you couldn't stop watching. It jumps around timewise without notice, so at times it is difficult to follow, and by the end of the movie you are left feeling deflated emotionally.

I found it a bit flat too, but it was based on a play, so maybe that's why. Still, killer like from Clive Owen, eh? :devil:

richierich

« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2009, 12:04:31 AM »

I found it a bit flat too, but it was based on a play, so maybe that's why. Still, killer like from Clive Owen, eh? :devil:

And Natalie Portman stripping - enough to make me blush!!!

richierich

« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2009, 01:29:31 PM »

Title: Four Rooms

Runtime:98
Certificate:R
Year:1995
Genres:Comedy, Drama

Plot:Don't miss the fun in this hilariously sexy comedy that has Antonio Banderas (The Mask Of Zorro), Madonna (Evita) and a sizzling all-star cast checking in for laughs! It's Ted the Bellhop's (Tim Roth – Pulp Fiction) first night on the job...and the hotel's very unusual guests are about to place him in some outrageous predicaments! It seems that this evening's room service is serving up one unbelievable happening...after another! Also featuring Academy Award™ winner Marisa Tomei (1992 Best Supporting Actress – My Cousin Vinny), Four Rooms is a wild night of highly original comedy entertainment you'll enjoy...without reservations!
My Review:
Dreadful and messy attempt at comedy, is this proof that Tarantino doesn't always get it right?
Four stories linked by bellboy Tim Roth, it goes from bad (withces coven story) to awful (man from hollywood) in a sloppy mismash of disjointed tales that do not raise even a titter.
Feeble and pathetic, the cast and crew may have had good fun making this, but for the unattached viewer it just doesn't work.
My Rating
 :yucky:

Najemikon

« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2009, 02:08:16 PM »
I've never bothered with it because it was always seen as a disastrous mess. Tarantino did Man From Hollywood, I believe. Rodriguez did The Misbehavers and some feel this is the best one?

richierich

« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »
I've never bothered with it because it was always seen as a disastrous mess. Tarantino did Man From Hollywood, I believe. Rodriguez did The Misbehavers and some feel this is the best one?

Yes, thats pretty accurate Jon. By far the worse story is the Man from Hollywood. The Misbehavers, a slapstick comic like babysitting ditty, is dreadful - but is the best of the 4 so that tells you everything you need to know.
Definately a dvd to avoid  :thumbdown: