Author Topic: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD  (Read 106324 times)

richierich

Re: December Marathons - DISCUSSION AND REVIEW THREAD
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 02:30:46 AM »

Title: Duplicity

Runtime:125
Certificate:12
Year:2009
Genres:Suspense/Thriller

Plot:From the writer/director of Michael Clayton, Duplicity is a smart, slick and cool espionage movie. Academy Award® winner Julia Roberts* and Clive Owen star as two sexy spies-turned-corporate operatives who attempt to pull off one of the biggest heists ever. As the stakes rise in the ultimate game of cat-and-mouse, they'll put everything on the line to remain one double-cross ahead of the rest.

My Review:
Muddled and messy, disappointing given the big name stars involved (Giamatti, Owen, Roberts) and the quality of the screenwriter Tony Gilroy (Bourne Trilogy, Devils Advocate). I found it quite tricky to follow, as there were so many flashbacks it got confusing, although it was pretty clear from the beginning exactly who would end up getting conned.
It was also really slow, and I must admit I got bored of the movie, despite the leads having good chemistry together it was wasted with an inferior plot. The whole concept of industrial espionage to these heights is ridiculous, but would have been acceptable if the film was gripping. Sadly it wasn't, and overall is a major disappointment.
My Rating
 :-\

richierich

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 02:38:10 AM »

Title: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (Blu-Ray)

Runtime:97
Certificate:PG
Year:1989
Genres:Comedy

Plot:This holiday season Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) vows his clan will enjoy "the most fun-filled old-fashioned family Christmas ever." Before you can sing "Fa-la-la-la-lah," he decks the halls with howls of folly in the perennial favorite National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
Seeing is believing. There are 25,000 lights on the roof. An exploding turkey on the dining room table. A SWAT team taking siege outside. A festive supporting cast (Including Beverly D'Angelo, Juilia Louis-Dreyfus, Juliette Lewis, William Hickey, and more) and a John Hughes script full of wit, heart and sheer goofiness. Yule love it!

My Review:
My families traditional xmas movie, viewed countless times, and I still have belly laughs at so many of the scenes, and despite being able to quote most of the lines now, still thoroughly enjoying this classic seasonal comedy.
"merry xmas sir, merry xmas to you, kiss my ass, kiss his ass, happy honiker" as quoted by Clark as his bosses file pass in order of superiority.
Top rated movie
**Update for Blu-ray version - the quality is no better than dvd and shows no sign of upgrading, so pointless to purchase the hd version (sadly i didn't know this before buying)** 
My Rating
 :thumbup:

richierich

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 02:48:03 AM »

Title: Night At The Museum: Battle Of The Smithsonian

Runtime:105
Year:2009
Genres:Comedy, Family, Fantasy

Plot:History is larger than life — and twice as funny — in this monumental comedy sequel that's "better than the original!" (At the Movies)! Ben Stiller leads an all-star cast (including Amy Adams, Owen Wilson, Hank Azaria and Robin Williams) as Larry Daley, a former night watchman at the Museum of Natural History, where the exhibits come alive after dark. But now Larry's nocturnal friends are being retired to the archives of the Smithsonian Institution, luring him back for a hilarious, all-out battle against museum misfits who plan to take over the Smithsonian...and the world!

My Review:
Despite the lack of any perceivable plot, the inclusion of superb special effects, imagination and comedy made this a fairly enjoyable viewing. There is decidedly more action than the original, and the inclusion of Amy Adams (Amelia Earhart) parading around in tight jodhpurs was lip smackingly good.
Great cast that obviously enjoyed the making of this movie, and some nice touches and techniques to amuse many.
Good quality family entertainment, and a rarity seeing a sequel that is better than the first film.
My Rating
 :D

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 03:06:50 AM »
...despite the leads having good chemistry together it was wasted with an inferior plot.

It seems you were as disappointed with this movie as I was, although unlike you, I noted a distinct lack of chemistry between the two leads. What did you think of Carrie Preston (the travel agent)?
Matthias

richierich

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 03:43:40 AM »
...despite the leads having good chemistry together it was wasted with an inferior plot.

It seems you were as disappointed with this movie as I was, although unlike you, I noted a distinct lack of chemistry between the two leads. What did you think of Carrie Preston (the travel agent)?

She had a minor role, and hence I didn't take much note of her other than to think she was recognisable

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 06:08:08 PM »

Title: Brazil
Year: 1985
Director: Terry Gilliam
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 137 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, German: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, German, Spanish

Stars:
Jonathan Pryce
Robert De Niro
Katherine Helmond
Ian Holm
Bob Hoskins

Plot:
Brazil is a surrealistic nightmare vision of a 'perfect' future where technology reigns supreme. Everyone is monitored by a secret government agency that forbids love to interfere with efficiency.

Jonathan Pryce and Robert De Niro star with Michael Palin and Bob Hoskins in this chilling black comedy directed by former Monty Python member Terry Gilliam.

When a daydreaming bureaucrat becomes unwittingly involved with an underground superhero and a beautiful mystery woman, he becomes the tragic victim of his own romantic illusions.

This offbeat fantasy blends biting humour with pointed commentary to come up with an unforgettable look at a delightfully dastardly tomorrow.

Awards:
Academy Award1985NominatedBest Art DirectionNorman Garwood (Art Direction); Maggie Gray (Set Decoration)
Academy Award1985NominatedBest Writing, Original ScreenplayTerry Gilliam, Tom Stoppard, Charles McKeown
AFI1985Nominated100 Years... 100 Movies (1998)
BAFTA1985WonProduction DesignNorman Garwood
BAFTA1985WonSpecial Visual EffectsGeorge Gibbs, Richard Conway
Hugo Award1986NominatedDramatic Presentation

Extras:
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I really liked the portrayal of the "future" technology. It has a nice steam-punk feel to it. I really enjoyed the first half of the movie, which sets up the ludicrous bureaucratic dystopia. But towards the end I constantly thought that they could finally come to an end now. But it seemed to continue and continue. I liked the ending though. Even if it is predictable.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 12:27:28 AM »

Title: Lola rennt
Year: 1998
Director: Tom Tykwer
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 73 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: DTS 5.1
Subtitles: German

Stars:
Franka Potente
Moritz Bleibtreu
Herbert Knaup
Nina Petri
Armin Rohde

Plot:
Manni (Moritz Bleibtreu), who works as a small-time courier for a big-time gangster, is in huge trouble. He has accidentally left the cash from a mob deal on the subway, and he has only twenty minutes to deliver the 100,000 marks to his unforgiving boss. Desperate, he calls his girlfriend, Lola (Franka Potente), the only person who can rescue him from certain death. As the seconds tick away and the tiniest choices become life aftering, Lola must try to reach Manni before the line between fate and fortune begins to blur.

Awards:
American Cinema Editors Awards2000NominatedBest Edited Feature Film – Comedy or MusicalMathilde Bonnefoy
BAFTA1999NominatedFilm Not In The English LanguageStefan Arndt, Tom Tykwer
Deutscher Filmpreis1999WonBeste NebendarstellerinNina Petri
Deutscher Filmpreis1999WonBester NebendarstellerHerbert Knaup
Deutscher Filmpreis1999WonBester SpielfilmX Filme Creative Pool
Deutscher Filmpreis1999WonKameraFrank Griebe
Deutscher Filmpreis1999WonPublikumspreis: Film des JahresX Filme Creative Pool
Deutscher Filmpreis1999WonPublikumspreis: Schauspielerin des JahresFranka Potente
Deutscher Filmpreis1999WonRegieTom Tykwer
Deutscher Filmpreis1999WonSchnittMathilde Bonnefoy
European Film Awards1998NominatedEuropean Film
Independent Spirit Awards2000WonBest Foreign FilmTom Tykwer
Online Film Critics Society Awards2000WonBest Film EditingMathilde Bonnefoy
Online Film Critics Society Awards2000WonBest Foreign Language Film
Satellite Awards2000NominatedBest Motion Picture – Foreign Language

Extras:
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Interviews
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This movie has great editing. Also the "Groundhog Day" theme of a repeating day (or 20 minutes ;) ) is used in an interesting way. Definately worth a look. And with it short running time it doesn't get boring.

Rating:

Rogmeister

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 02:22:31 AM »

America's Funniest Home Videos: Home For The Holidays
3 Episodes

As you can guess, this is a Christmas-themed edition of TV's popular America's Funniest Home Videos...sometimes I wonder how many countryies outside of this country also have their own edition of this series...but never mind.  This DVD actually has 3 episodes of the popular show...two are from the series' earlier half-hour edition and include original host Bob Saget.  I think those are from 1996 and 1997.  Thie third episode, from sometime around 2003 if I recall correctly, is from the current one-hour incarnation featuring the host who is doing it now, Tom Bergeron.  I actually prefer the Bob Saget version because most of the clips from his shows actually are seasonal videos.  A good number of the clips from the Bergeron episode, perhaps as many as half of them, don't have anything to do with Christmas at all.  Perhaps they felt America has a short attention span and wouldn't want a whole hour of nothing but Christmas stuff?  I don't know.  At any rate, if you are familiar with this series, you can guess what you're likely to see...people falling down, animals doing funny things (like a dog preventing a boy from getting to the Christmas gifts), people falling down, kids getting excited over their gifts...and did I mention people falling down?

;D

Rogmeister

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 03:45:40 AM »

The Andy Griffith Show
Christmas Story (from the first season)

Cantakerous store owner Ben Weaver (Will Wright) makes Andy lock up a family man he caught with moonshine, causing Andy and his family and friends to spend Christmas Eve at the jail.

Ben Weaver is the definite reincarnation of Ebenezer Scrooge in this episode...even his "Christmas...hah!" makes you wonder why he left out the humbug word from his exclamation.  Elinor Donahue (a regular in the first season) sings "Away In A Manger" in this episode accompanied by Andy.  This is the perfect Christmas episode as it has everything...a man in a Santa suit (Barney), Christmas presents, the aforementioned Christmas song, and the meanest of the mean (Ben Weaver) rehabilitated by the sheer power of Christmas and friendship.  It's too bad this wound up being the one and only episode of The Andy Griffith Show to ever center on any holiday.

:thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »
For now I will stay out of any marathon and just watch what I feel like and also catch up on some special features from the November marathon.

If I feel like it I may still pick up on the Christmas themed marathon later in the month. I"ll see if I a) own 12 movies related to Christmas (I should) and b) feel like watching them.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:20:21 PM by Antares »

richierich

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 12:25:18 PM »

Title: The Grinch

Runtime:101
Year:2000
Genres:Family, Fantasy, Comedy

Plot:You Better Watch Out! He's green...he's mean... and he hates Christmas!
The Grinch is a bad tempered hairy green creature, who lives inside a cave atop Mount Crumpit, overlooking the village of Whoville.
As the Whos of Whoville frantically prepare for their yuletide celebrations, The Grinch decides to put a stop to Christmas once and for all, and steals all their presents and decorations on Christmas Eve...... only to finally come to learn that the true spirit of Christmas goes much deeper than thinsel and toys. The hilarious Jim Carrey spectacularly brings The Grinch to life in this magical live-action comedy which is based on the wonderfully quirky and well-loved book "Dr Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas".

>My Review:
Talked into watching this whilst decs were hung, seen it a few times, and it is still a funny and enjoyable xmas family film.
Carrey of course steals the acting plaudits (only just from Max the dog), but the story is the real winner being so inventive and crazy.
Ron Howard doesn't put a foot wrong in the direction, and Hollywoods big bucks make the whole film feel something special.
Seasonal movie fit for all ages.
My Rating
 ;D

richierich

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 12:31:19 PM »

Title: Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas

Runtime:64
Certificate:U
Year:2004
Genres:Animation, Family

Plot:Find out who's been naughty and who's been nice in this all-new Christmas celebration. Santa Claus, Mickey Mouse and all his Disney pals star in an original movie about discovering the true spirit of Christmas.
Watch the hilarious antics of stubborn old Donald as he tries in vain to resist the joy of the season, and laugh along with Mickey and Pluto as they learn a great lesson about the power of friendship. Through the magic of CGI you and your family can celebrate the festive season with a wonderful new look at your favourite Disney characters in an irresistible collection of Christmas stories.

My Review:
Apologies to Mickey fans but this is a set of animated films aimed pretty much at very young kids, and hence we got bored of it very quickly.
The modern animation of the old characters was probably the only interesting thing for a viewer of my age, and was cleverly done.
No doubt a winner for youngsters who could watch it again and again to get totally hypo leading up to christmas.
My Rating
 :yawn:

Rogmeister

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »
Well, it looks like I'm going to have to stop my marathon now, just after a few entries.  I've had various physical problems the last few years and one was having an eye hemorrhage.  That's where blood bleeds into the interior of the eye.  That happened with my right eye last December and now it appears to be happening with my left eye so it's very hard to see and I can't really enjjoy TV much even though I can see it a little.  I have a previously made appoointment with m eye doctor for this upcoming Wednesday.  Of course, if it gets worse before then, I may have to make a trip to the hospital before then.  But this is why this will likely be my last post for awhile...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »
Without a review I have watched now the following movies for this marathon:
The Big White ()
Nothing special. A decent comedy with Robin Williams and Woody Harrelson.

Matchstick Men ()
Enjoyed it just as much as the first time around.