Author Topic: The X-files  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
The X-files
« on: December 03, 2007, 08:25:35 PM »
I just finished watching all of this series that I consider to be one of the best ever. I had not fully followed it on television because the series was stop before the end on Quebec television. The 3 last seasons were presented on a cable network that I didn't have.

Contrary to what I read on numerous occasions the eight seasons is not the beginning of the end for this great series. On the contrary, the seventh season is the one that represents the decline of interest in the series. There are too many episodes that I find mediocre (Orison, X-cops, First person shooter, All things, and Hollywood A.D.). There have always been 1 or 2 bad episodes per season, but this one reached a peak. The fact that David Duchovny was no longer interested is apparent and even in the good episodes.

The introduction of Robert Patrick in the series reinvigorated it and this was need. I really did not know Patrick as an actor before, in fact I have only seen him in Terminator 2, but he Succeed in the the challenge of replacing Duchovny. The last season was very good and I had no difficulty in believing the new conspiracy, but I'm one of those who think that the destruction of the Syndicate in the sixth season was a mistake.

The series had everything to continue for a few more seasons: the chemistry between Patrick and Annabeth Gish was perfect and the new conspiracy became the focal point. The series come to its end in its ninth season and honestly the last episode didn't resolve anything (I don't speak more for those who haven't seen it yet, but probably everyone here already know the end).

The film should be release the next year and what I hope is that this it will be the logical continuation of the last episode. On the other hand I do not have a great hope, it will probably be "a monster of the week" episode. But a continuation could revive the series for one or two more seasons, fans deserves a true conclusion of the conspiracy.

It is enough for me. You what do you think of this series? Do you think it could reborn if the movie is a succes?

Sorry if the traduction is not that great. I've to use Google since my message is way longer that what I usually do in english.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 10:31:28 PM by AESP_pres »

Najemikon

Re: The X-files
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 09:18:31 PM »
It read fine to me!  :thumbup:

I loved The X-Files, but as I have said a few times before, I haven't completed season nine yet, because I lost interest. I think you are right; Robert Patrick was very good (although I preferred his gorgeous partner! :devil: ), but I still felt that Fox Mulder was the heart of the series and without him, it didn't work. I also didn't like how Scully became a bit too domestic.

I think I'm the opposite to you! I was so disappointed by the conspiracies, but I always liked the one-off stories best. By the end, the conspiracy arc seemed to strong and the other episodes were reduced to mere filler.

I will finish it one day though and maybe I'll see something different. Looking forward to the film in any case.