Author Topic: Kingdom of Heaven  (Read 851 times)

Touti

Kingdom of Heaven
« on: November 14, 2009, 01:55:07 AM »
We have no reviews yet for this movie.  I'd like to know if anyone has seen it and what the thoughts are.  Is it worth paying 15$CAD for the Blu-Ray version ?

Najemikon

Re: Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 03:10:30 AM »
$15? Wow! Grab it! Grab it now!  :thumbup:

It's a good old fashioned epic. This is no Gladiator, but it's a big story, massive battles, looks gorgeous (on blu-ray? You'll wet yourself, surely), and it's got Eva Green in it. Points against, well, a lot simply don't like Orlando Bloom. I'm less inclined to trash him, but he is weak. He's supported by some big names though and I kind of think the story works because he's a bit wet, if that makes any sense. Also some plot points feel like they were left over from Gladiator, but the good outweighs the bad by some margin.

Look at it another way, I saw King Arthur the other day and in direct comparison, Kingdom of Heaven is superb!  :laugh:

Touti

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 03:39:31 AM »
I usually use and trust rottentomatoes to make my choices but on this one it was conflicting.

T-Meter Critics: 39%
Top Critics: 50%
RT Community: 70%

But I went with your advice Jon and I added it to my order, I couldn't really go any other way considering how you and I have always agreed on almost every movie we ever discussed  :tease:

PS: blu-ray.com gives a 4.5 note on the video, it's probably worth the 15$ just for that.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Kingdom-of-Heaven-Blu-ray-Review/152/

Edit: Holy cripes, I just checked the runtime, this is over 3 hours, if the blu-ray quality is as good as they say I guess I'm in for quite a treat.......is it time to buy a HD sound system  :hmmmm:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 03:47:26 AM by Eric »

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:46:22 AM »
I liked the story, especially because the Arabs weren't protrayed as mindless barbarians. I have nothing against Bloom but I, too, liked the supporting cast better.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools