Author Topic: Amazon COM  (Read 11007 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

lyonsden5

Re: Amazon COM
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:30:03 AM »
Today the Blu version of the HBO Mini-series John Adams dropped to $24.99. The standard def DVD is only $19.99

If you haven't seen it it is a great series. Anyone even remotely interested in the history of the USA should get this and watch it. Or if you just like great productions with great acting you should get it. Check out the imdb awards page for it

I just gave away my standard DVD to my parents and ordered the Blu-ray version for myself. Can't wait to watch it again.

Blu-ray

DVD

(both links use the DVDC Amazon affiliate link  ;) )

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 05:37:26 AM »
Castle (Stana Katic, Nathan Fillion) has just dropped to $14.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Complete-Season-Stana-Katic/dp/B001XRLWPQ?SubscriptionId=AKIAIZNBXO5MF5OFMLYA&tag=s01ca-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001XRLWPQ
Cliciking the link showed me a price of $16.49. Maybe the 14.99 was a mistake? Or the sale ended already? Anyway, I wish listed it anyway and may add it to my upcoming order.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:01:28 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Complete-Season-Stana-Katic/dp/B001XRLWPQ?SubscriptionId=AKIAIZNBXO5MF5OFMLYA&tag=s01ca-20&linkCode=sp1&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001XRLWPQ
Cliciking the link showed me a price of $16.49. Maybe the 14.99 was a mistake? Or the sale ended already? Anyway, I wish listed it anyway and may add it to my upcoming order.

Yeah, sorry. 2 hours later the price was up again. :-/
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:38:25 AM »

Yeah, sorry. 2 hours later the price was up again. :-/

That has happened to me with Amazon too a few times.  There has been a sale one some DVD I want, then I go back just a little later and the price is higher again.  True Blood did that right after it came out.  I'm still waiting for the price to drop back down.

Rogmeister

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 06:32:15 AM »
Amazon.com recently brought down the cost of a John Ford western I've thought of getting once or twice...Cheyenne Autumn.  It might be the only western Jimmy Stewart was in that I don't have.  For awhile, they were charging $17 or $18 for this...but the last week or so it's been down to $5.79.  Of course if I decide to get it, then it'll probably be up to $20 or so...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 07:09:01 AM »
I'll have to look into that one ...I don't think my mom and stepdad have it.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:06:16 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 11:37:52 PM »
Does anyone know if the BR is Region B encoded?

According to regionfreemovies.com it is.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 12:01:14 AM »
Karsten, what are your experiences with customs when ordering from amazon.com? What shipping method do you usually choose? Standard or Expedited?
I haven't ordered much from there. Usually only if I know I am below the custom free value. In my experience you almost certainly are charged customs with amazon.com. At least I did not have to go to the custom's office, when it did happen (the postman did collect then).

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 12:55:45 PM »
All my amazon.com packages go through customs but I already price that into my purchase decisions.

With the Dollar as is it now you get everything without import tax that costs less than $30 (only the item price). So if you have two items that are in sum above this it's wiser to make two seperate orders and pay shipping twice but save import tax.

You pay import tax if the package value exceeds 22€. The package value does not consider shipping fees, only item values.

However if you exceed the 22€ barrier the taxed value is calculated by item values + shipping fee.

For example. I ordered 2 seasons of "How I Met Your Mother". $22 each plus $7 shipping each. So I'll pay $29 * 2 / 1.44 = 40.28€ for it.

If I had ordered it together, I'd pay $44 plus $9.50 shipping / 1.44 = 37.15€ * 1.19 (19% EUSt) = 44.21€.

So if you'r ordering above import tax barrier, you can calculate with $1=1€.

But I've never had any problems with any deliveries.

Ah and I always use standard shipping, I am in no hurry. And if the stuff is dispatched from Auckland, New Zealand it's usually here within a week.

Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 01:07:19 PM »
Do you order in Euro or in US$?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 01:19:38 PM »
Do you order in Euro or in US$?

Always in $. I always get a slightly better exchange rate from my bank (even despite the 1% foreign currency fee) than from Amazon.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:21:15 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »
Thanks. I have ordered the Blu-ray version now.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 09:33:20 PM »
The DVD version just dropped to $20.
Karsten