Author Topic: Pete's Pilots  (Read 62424 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Pete's Pilots
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »

C.S.I.
It's all here. All the cases. All the evidence. All the solutions. All 23 episodes of the Golden Globe nominated first season of CSI. Now available in this special edition DVD set, containing special features and behind-the-scenes extras.

Pilot
Gil Grissom is the supervisor of the graveyard shift of Las Vegas' elite crime scene investigators. Holly Gribbs, fresh out of the academy, joins the team. Jim Brass is head of the unit and is trying to scare Gribbs from CSI. Catherine Willows, mother of a young daughter, is the number two CSI on this shift. Warrick Brown and Nick Stokes are competing to solve their 100th case to earn a promotion to CSI 3. Grissom investigates a murder staged to look like a suicide with precious little evidence. Warrick and Catherine take the case of a drunk who breaks into the house where he had been staying and is shot to death. Nick talks to a man who picked up a woman who drugged and robbed him.

My Thoughts:
This is an excellent series. The whole cast is great and the stories are very engrossing. I was glued to the set from the opening to the ending of the episode... and still wanted more. If you never checked out this series I highly recommend it. I really don't think you will be sorry.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2009, 10:38:46 PM »

Challenge of the Super Friends
Ep: Wanted: The Super Friends
Back at the HALL OF JUSTICE, legendary super heroes SUPERMAN, WONDER WOMAN, AQUAMAN, BATMAN and ROBIN unite to protect the world from evil - and this 2-disc set of 16 Season One cartoons starts the action from their very first showdown! With their superpowers combined, these guardians of humanity match wits and might against the criminal LEGION OF DOOM until justice is served...with a one-liner to go! This supreme set also includes exclusive commentaries and top-secret bonus content! Be a hero: join the SUPER FRIENDS from the first hit to the final blow in this retro favorite!

My Thoughts:
Now... this brings back some memories for me. I used to love anything and everything Super Friends when I was a kid. And I really enjoyed watching it today... for pure nostalgic reasons and the fact that I still do enjoy most everything Superhero related. In the pilot episode The Legion of Doom created a device to make The Super Friends commit crimes in their sleep.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2009, 11:39:24 PM »

Charlie's Angels
Once upon a time, Jill, Sabrina & Kelly were police officers whose skills were being wasted in menial duties such as filing and answering phones. A mysterious millionaire named Charles Townsend took them away from all that by opening his own private investigation agency, and hiring these gorgeous ladies as his operatives with John Bosley acting as their assistant and liaison. The "Angels" frequently went undercover as models, strippers or cocktail waitresses in their investigations.

Hell Ride
Investigating a conspiracy surrounding the murder of a famed female racer, Sabrina goes undercover as a racecar driver, while Jill and Bosley pose as holy-rollers to spread their gospel on the racetrack. When the Angels foil a covert diamond heist, the speedway never looked so sexy!

My Thoughts:
This one I have on a Best of disc that contains '70s Cop Shows. I know... you would have never guessed what with the cover image and all. I did enjoy this episode. The ladies were beautiful and fun to watch. I wouldn't call this one a favorite. But it is definitely worth watching. I think at the right price I would get the season sets of this show.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »

Charmed
The discovery that they are descendants of a long line of witches finds three sisters battling demons and warlocks - and occasionally each other.

When the beautiful Halliwell sisters inherit a house from their grandmother and discover a secret "Book Of Shadows," they learn that they each have a unique power. The strong-willed Prue (Shannen Doherty) can move objects, reserved Piper (Holly Marie Combs) is able to freeze time, and the uninhibited Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) sees the future. Individually, each is strong, but it is only by putting aside their differences and banding together as the "Power of Three" that they will be able to protect the innocent and vanquish evil. Each exciting episode in this richly layered series is a supernatural adventure brewing with suspense and humor.

Something Wicca This Way Comes
Reunited in the grand Victorian home of their childhood, a trio of sisters, Prue (Shannen Doherty), Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) and Piper (Holly Marie Combs) discovers they are gifted Wicca witches. Little do they know that their newfound powers mean that they are now prey to evil forces.

My Thoughts:
This is one of my old time favorites. I love this series!  I have seen the pilot episode of this one countless times. And I enjoyed it just as much today as I ever did. For some reason this series just don't get old. Must have something to do with the always lovely Holly Marie Combs.  :drooling:

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2009, 11:57:03 AM »

The Cisco Kid
This classic western series was the first to be filmed in color, even though the majority of television sets in the country were black and white. The show presented the tales of The Cisco Kid (Duncan Renaldo) and his trusty sidekick Poncho (Leo Carrillo) as they traveled about the West, coming to the aid of those in need of it. One of the most interesting aspects about this program is the fact the main characters were Hispanic and presented in a positive manner, making it unique since most programming on television at the time featured Caucasian performers presenting shows geared toward a Caucasian audience.

Boomerang
Pancho and the Cisco Kid are wanted by the law. A real estate broker hired two men to impersonate them and rob the Mesa Verde Bank.

My Thoughts:
This is the very first taste of The Cisco Kid I ever had. While not a bad show... the pilot episode wasn't great. they do nothing to introduce the characters to try to tell you who they are and what they do. The episode felt more like any old episode that could have run anywhere in the middle of the season or series. From what I understand this was a radio show before going to Television. And at the time they probably figured there was no need for introducing the characters all over again for Television. Which I am sure made sense at the time... but coming here now... so many years later it is of no help what so ever. While I have low expectations for quality on such old shows. I was a little disappointed in the quality of (at least) this episode. The picture looked washed out. Granted this is a cheap set from Mills Creek so I shouldn't be surprised. The show itself was ok... I think I need to watch a few more episodes before I can get hooked on it. I thought Poncho was to be the comedic sidekick of The Cisco Kid... but at least in this episode I didn't find him all that funny. I mean I can see where they tried... but they just didn't do it for me... at least not in this episode.

My Rating:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Actually, before there was a Cisco Kid TV series, there were several Cisco Kid feature films, beginning with In Old Arizona starring Warner Baxter.  He was in a couple of others and I think there may have also been other Cisco Kid films with other stars.  But I don't have the details right now.  But I do know there was a Cisco radio series as well.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2009, 03:36:24 PM »
Thanks Roger! :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2009, 05:55:10 PM »

Cleopatra 2525
Get ready for temperatures to rise as the sexiest sci-fi series ever, Cleopatra 2525, explodes on to DVD for the first time! Action goddess Gina Torres stars in the sizzling series about a cryogenically frozen exotic dancer who, after accidentally being thawed in the year 2525, joins two sexy freedom fighters in their battle against evil robots called Baileys. Led by the mysterious "Voice," this tempestuous trio must out-fight, out-seduce and out-maneuver the forces that threaten to destroy the world. From executive producer Sam Raimi (director of Spider-Man and Evil Dead) comes all 28 action-packed episodes and exclusive bonus features from the series that has the New York Daily News declaring "the sexy factor is way in the red zone."

Quest For Firepower
Hel and Sarge, two warriors in the year 2525, rescue Cleopatra, an aspiring actress who awakens from a cryogenic deep freeze after more than five centuries to find the world literally turned upside down.

My Thoughts:
What to say about this one... It is just plain fun! Sure it is cheesy It is just mindless sci-fi fun... nothing thought provoking in this series! But I will say... the girls look outstanding! While the pilot can leave you thinking "What did I get myself into?" I gotta say... this show is rather addicting. When I first got this set I was a little nervous with the first couple episodes... but in one day I watched all 8 episodes on side A of disc 1... and started Side B. So I ended up watching about 10 episodes the first day! And I never looked back. Just remembering that makes me want to watch some more episodes... but I really would like to try to get the C's in my pilot marathon done today.

Downside... Every time I watch this show I get that damn theme song stuck in my head for a long time after. And that is just pure torture to me!  :surrender:

My Rating:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:36:17 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »

The Comeback
For fallen star Valerie Cherish - former B-list sitcom actress desperate to revive her career - no proce is too high to pay for clinging to the television spotlight. Valerie agrees to be the subject of an intrusive reality television show, with cameras following her every move as she lands the part of "Aunt Sassy" in a tedious new sitcom, Room and Bored.

Lisa Kudrow stars in this uncomfortably funny and insightfully biting comedy series from writer Michael Patrick King (Sex and the City).
In the spirit of reality television, there seems to be no end to the humiliating circumstances Valerie Cherish will endure, all in the name of fame.

The Comeback (Pilot)

Faded television starlet Valerie Cherish attempts to land a role in a new sitcom.'Room and Bored', by taking part in a reality show dhronicaling her somewhat mortifying "comeeback."

My Thoughts:
I watched this when it originally aired on HBO. I remember that I enjoyed it somewhat... but that I wasn't overly impressed with it. But when I found the DVD set on sale for less then $15 I decided to add it to my collection. That was almost 2 years ago now... and until now I haven't watched the DVDs at all. Watching the pilot episode again today I felt pretty much the same way I remember the first time around. It is one of those shows... while decent... I wasn't surprised when it was canceled.

My Rating:
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »

I loved it! So much so that when I found out my last disc was defective, and I kept on the lookout for a cheap set to replace that bad disc, and I recently found one!

I'm gonna have to watch it ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2009, 06:51:42 PM »
oh yeah... definitely a lot of fun involved!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »

Commander in Chief
Geena Davis lights up the screen as President Mackenzie Allen, earning a Golden Globe® award for Best Actress in the show's inaugural season. Experience the first ten thrilling episodes of the captivating drama, starring Davis, Emmy® Award winner Donald Sutherland and an acclaimed cast.

When the President of the United States dies in office, his independent Vice President ventures into territory no woman has ever entered before. Now, the nation's first female Commander In Chief must balance the pressures of running the country and the responsibility of raising a family - while facing a sustained torrent of underhanded attacks from the Speaker Of The House (Sutherland). It's an exhilarating blend of suspense and drama that O, The Oprah Magazine calls, "realistic and riveting!"

Pilot
Mackenzie Allen, who serves as Vice President of the United States, has a tough decision to make, whether or not to go against the wishes of the dying current President. He has asked her to step down and let someone a little more appropriate take his place in the Oval Office. However, it's not only the President that is calling for her resignation, it's her entire party which elected her as the Vice President to start with.

My Thoughts:
When this show originally aired it was one of my favorites. I know there was many that didn't care for it. But you know how I like to be different!  :P I always thought Gina Davis was a great choice for the part. And I was sorry to see it not come back for the second season. When I first got the DVD release I still enjoyed it quite a bit and was happy I was able to complete the series (get both volumes). After watching the pilot episode today I found while still a good show that my interest in it wasn't as strong. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it when I watched it... but I think as much as I always liked the show... the re-watch value is low on it. I think it is the type of show that I really have to be in the mood for to watch. And don't think this one is a very good candidate for marathon viewing.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »

The Cosby Show
The Cosby Show appeared on NBC from 1984 to 1992, becoming one of the most popular programs in the history of television. The series depicted a close-knit and prosperous African American family (The Huxtables) that dwelled in New York City. Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable, OB-GYN (Bill Cosby), and his attorney wife Clair (Phylicia Rashad), a happily married, dual-profession couple, had aspirations of raising their five children in an uplifting, positive environment. The Huxtables were truly a groundbreaking family for television.

The Cosby Show was an instant smash hit, holding TV's #1 slot for a record five consecutive years (1985 to 1990), and it remained in the Top 20 shows of all eight seasons it was on NBC. The Cosby Show's popularity was so intense that it has carried over into the 21st century, and in 2005 The Cosby Show is as relevant as it has ever been. The Huxtable's are adored around the world.

Pilot
Theo brings home a bad report card; Denise dates an older man.

My Thoughts:
This is one sitcom I always enjoyed. It is one show I could always count on for a few decent laughs. You can tell they decided to change some stuff on the show after the pilot episode was made. Most notably would be the look of the Huxtable house. Then there was mentioning that they only had 4 (instead of 5) kids. Making a joke out of it... when Claire asked Cliff why they had 4 children... he said because we didn't want 5! Then in a later episode (Next? don't remember) we learn about Sondra, their daughter in college. I also liked the scene in the hospital when he tells the soon to be father that his job is just to cheer...."Push 'em Out!... Shove 'em Out!... Way Out!"  :laugh: Which if I am not mistaken both jokes came from his stand-up routine.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2009, 10:12:45 PM »
Cliff's discussion with Theo in this pilot is a great TV moment. The scene where Cliff shows Theo with game money that being a "regular" guy is not much fun. After which Theo tells his father, that he should love him like he is, because he is his son, and not be disappointed in him with not being successful in school. The studio audiences applauds this typical family sitcom speech, but is interupted with Cliff's "That is the dumbest thing that I have ever heard" comeback. And the audience goes wild  :laugh:

richierich

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2009, 10:18:06 PM »
Cliff's discussion with Theo in this pilot is a great TV moment. The scene where Cliff shows Theo with game money that being a "regular" guy is not much fun. After which Theo tells his father, that he should love him like he is, because he is his son, and not be disappointed in him with not being successful in school. The studio audiences applauds this typical family sitcom speech, but is interupted with Cliff's "That is the dumbest thing that I have ever heard" comeback. And the audience goes wild  :laugh:

remember that bit well - great comeback  :hysterical: