Author Topic: Pete's Pilots  (Read 62491 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Pete's Pilots
« Reply #165 on: February 04, 2010, 10:51:35 AM »

Head of the Class
A group of gifted high-school students are placed together into an "enrichment" class. Although brilliant, they have much to learn about each other and themselves.

Pilot
A high school substitute teacher takes over a class of geniuses.

My Thoughts:
This is an episode on a bonus disc that came in a season set of a sitcom (either Night Court or Fresh Prince of Bel-Air? I forget now) from Warner Bros. I have been hoping every since that this show would be released in season sets... as I have always enjoyed it. I used to watch this show all the time as a kid... just drooling over the cute redhead (Khrystyne Haje),

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2010, 10:58:31 AM »

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002)
You have the power to re-live all 39 episodes of the Emmy® award winning 2002-03 He-Man® and the Masters of the Universe® Series! In this complete series collection, you will first learn how Adam became He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe. Then join He-Man as he leads Man-At-Arms, Teela, Ram Man, and the other heroic Masters of the Universe as trhey battle Skeletor, Trap Jaw, Evil Lyn, Beast Man, and the classic villians for control of Eternia. In the thrilling concluding episodes, witness the return of King Hssss and his snake men as he attempts to awaken the Snake God, Serpos!

This fresh take on the retro favorite delighted and entertained a new generation of fans as well as those who grew up watching the beloved series in the '80s.

1. The Beginning: Part I
The exiled warlord Keldor tells his forces that he has created a device that will destroy the "Mystic Wall" that keeps them out of Randor's kingdom. When they get to the Mystic Wall, they trigger the device but all it produces is a mere crack in the wall. Keldor's forces are confused, as they assumed that the device would break the wall completely, but Keldor explains that now they know where to strike. Inside the castle walls, Man-At-Arms receives a telepathic message from the Sorceress that the time has come.

2. The Beginning: Part II
Adam returns to Castle Grayskull upon witnessing the damage inflicted on the royal palace by Keldlor (now calling himself Skeletor due to his horrific appearance) and embraces his new destiny as He-Man, defender of Eternia.

3. The Beginning: Part III
He-Man and Skeletor duke it out for the first time, with many lives hanging in the balance... literally.

My Thoughts:
I bought this series at the suggestion of a friend. Never seeing an episode before. I have seen the original '80s version before... but not this one from 2002. It is pretty much the same storyline as the '80s version. But it has much better graphics. The first 3 episodes makes up the origin story of He-Man.  Now I can't remember if there even was an origin story to the '80s version... but if there was it couldn't have been done as well as this one. Making it 3 episodes it allowed them to really tell the story right. I thought I would have a hard time getting used to the new style of drawing this series... but I really had no problem at all with it. One thing that did bother me a little was everyone taking these over-exaggerated leaps into the air when they were in battle. But before I knew it I had gotten used to it as well. It really did make for more entertaining battle scenes. Over-all I really enjoyed it. Glad I have it added to my collection.

My Rating:

Review taken from another thread when I watched it recently.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 04, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
According to the tracking number I SHOULD get my DVD order tomorrow (both of them actually)... so I added Private Practice to my pilot marathon list on the first post. Of course I knew that one would come in time since I am still in the H's.  :P I am supposed to go shopping today... may stop by Big Lots... see if they still have any season sets for $6... or movies for $3.  :thumbup:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2010, 05:18:53 PM »
I also liked Head of the Class in it's original run...and I was also smitten with Khrystyne Haje.  I liked a few of the other girls, too, especially Leslie Bega but Khrystyne was it for me.  Maybe Shout or someone will eventually get the rights to release this show.  :tv:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2010, 10:16:15 PM »

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
Long ago... In a time of myth and legend, when ancient gods plagued man with suffering - only one man dared to challenge their power. Hercules!

The spectacular collection brings together all five full-length action-packed movies starring Kevin Sorbo as Hercules and Anthony Quinn as Zeus and includes the entire debut season in one epic collector's set. Kevin Sorbo's fresh, hip and good-natured spin on the legendary hero carried this witty, adventure-filled action drama to high critical acclaim. Smartly combining ancient myth with contemporary sensibilities, the series became one of television's highest rated programs.

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys Season One Collection Includes All Five Action-Packed Hercules Movies And All 13 Season One Episodes!

The Wrong Path
After Hercules and his friend Iolaus stopped a band of hoodlums from robbing an innkeeper, Hercules went home to his family. The horror that followed was over almost before it started. A huge ball of fire burst through his bedroom window and consumed his wife, Deianeira. In the next instant the fireball took Hercules' three young children. His step mother, Hera, was to blame. Consumed by hatred, Hercules set out on a path of destruction.

My Thoughts:
Another series I like a lot. But much like Xena: Warrior Princess... there is many episodes I am sure I never seen before. Unfortunately I was only able to get the first 2 seasons before the season sets went OOP. I really like how this series didn't forget where the last movie left off. It isn't like they just didn't acknowledge that Hercules had a family in the last movie. Once again after watching the pilot episode I really didn't want to stop watching the set!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2010, 11:02:38 PM »

Heroes
Discover the phenomenon that is sweeping audiences everywhere as Heroes: Season 1 comes to DVD! Experience the suspense, mystery, and electrifying twists as this astonishing series follows seemingly unconnected, ordinary people around the globe who discover they have extraordinary powers. As they come to terms with their unique abilities, their risky decisions will affect the futures of everyone around them ... and the world. Join their epic journey in this seven-disc set packed with hours of fascinating and revealing bonus features, including the never-before-aired series premier from show creator Tim Kring.

Genesis
Events are set in motion as a total eclipse casts its shadow across the globe and a genetics professor uncovers his father's secret research revealing that people with super powers are living among us.

My Thoughts:
This is a good series... though I have found I am not enjoying it quite as much the second time around... as I remember thinking it was awesome when it aired on TV. The pilot episode does definitely set up the story well. And it is fun watching all the ideas for people with special powers. While the re-watch value isn't quite as high... I think it is still worth collecting the DVDs. It is still good entertainment.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2010, 01:01:25 AM »

Highway to Heaven
Jonathan Smith isn't your average helpful handyman. He's an angel with a mission from God, or "the Boss" as he likes to call him. Accompanied by ex-cop Mark Gordon, whose troubled life Jonathan once helped turn around, he travels the world, guiding the lost and suffering back toward the HIGHWAY TO HEAVEN.

Whether helping a young boxer pressured to throw a fight or a veteran's Eurasian daughter feel welcome in America, Jonathan finds a way to bring a little grace and love into the lives of those he touches. And when necessary, he helps things along with a little angel power.

Starring Michael Landon and Victor French, all 24 uplifting episodes from the first season of this family favorite are now available on DVD for the first time.

Highway to Heaven (Part 1)
Working as the new handyman at a retirement home, Jonathon brings pep and vigor into the dreary lives of its residents. However, a nurse's brother, Mark Gordon, doesn't trust the newcomer.

Highway to Heaven (Part 2)
With the retirement home on the verge of ruin, Jonathon reveals his true identity to Mark. It will take some heavenly high jinks to save the day.

My Thoughts:
Another show that I used to always enjoy back in the day.  A kind series... and this show is my favorite work of Micheal Landon's. Yes I always preferred this over Little House on the Prairie. The 2 part pilot is a very good introduction to the 2 main characters of the series. Not only is this a warm and touching drama... it also offers some laughs. One of my favorite scenes in the pilot is where Jonathon (the angel) sees Mark (his soon to be friend) getting beat up in the alley behind the bar. When he runs over to help.... he gets a right cross. Of course it don't effect him... he just looks at the guy and smiles. So then he is hit with a left cross. And to this his reaction is to pick the guy up into the air... look him in the face and say "I turned the other cheek"... and then throws him far across the alley.  :laugh: So yes... this series does have some fun in it as well. Unfortunately I only have the first season at this point... but I would love to get some more season sets of this show.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM »

Home Improvement
Tim Allen ratchets up the laughs as Tim “The Toolman” Taylor in Home Improvement’s landmark first season. Relive every hilarious moment with the accident-prone TV show host and the original “Tool Time” girl Pamela Anderson in this comprehensive 3-disc set, including all 24 episodes and exclusive bonus features. It’s the show you love – with “more power” than ever!

Pilot
After Jill explicitly tells Tim not to touch the dishwasher, he breaks it in an attempt to make it more powerful; more of a "man's" dishwasher. Jill has a job interview, but she doesn't get it and when Tim tries to comfort her, he only makes matters worse. After talking to Wilson, Tim tries again and succeeds.

My Thoughts:
This has always been a sitcom I enjoyed. Though I do admit that the first episode wasn't as good as many episodes that followed. Some reason I still only have the first season of this show. One of these days I need to continue on this series.

My Rating:
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »
I absoloutley love Home Improvement... it reminds me of when my and my brother shared the same room, we used to watch the Disney channel when we should have been asleep.... it showed Boy Meets World, Dinosaurs then Home Improvement (then Doctor Quinn, but we had fell asleep by then)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2010, 07:42:11 PM »

How I Met Your Mother
A love story in reverse: How I Met Your Mother is a fresh new comedy about Ted (Josh Radnor) and how he fell in love. When Ted's best friends Marshall (Jason Segel) and Lilly (Alyson Hannigan) decide to tie the knot, it sparks the search for his own Miss Right. Helping him in his quest is his bar-hopping "wing-man" Barney (Neil Patrick Harris), a confirmed bachelor with plenty of wild schemes for picking up women. Ted's sights are set on the charming and independent Robin (Cobie Smulders), but destiny may have something different in mind. Told through a series of flashbacks, Ted recalls his single days, the highs and lows of dating and the search for true love.

Pilot
In 2029, Ted tells his children the story of how he met their mother, beginning back in 2005 with Marshall and Lily's engagement. Ted, eager to find his soul mate, meets Robin, and sets his sights on marrying her.

My Thoughts:
A fun series. It has a lot of laughs... and I liked seeing Allyson Hannigan in another series. Unfortunately so far I only have the first season of this show.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »

The Hunger
Terence Stamp hosts the first season of this spine-tingling horror anthology series from Executive Producers Tony and Ridley Scott, which features a phenomenal cast of familiar faces as you've never seen them before. Inspired by leading genre writers, each episode will draw you into a mesmerizing world of terrifying characters and erotic encounters, where demons feed on the weaknesses of men and temptation consumes reason.

The Swords
When James Chandler arrives in London, a visit to a fetish club leads to a relationship with Musidora, a woman who can survive being pierced with swords.

My Thoughts:
This show was strange... but entertaining. The first thing I noticed on this was the opening credits which was weird on it's own. The next thing I noticed was that it is hosted by Terrance Stamp. This I am not sure how I feel about yet. I will need to see him host more episodes before I decide. The episode itself was more of the same... strange but entertaining. I know this series is a horror anthology series... but I didn't find this episode to contain the elements that I normally associate with horror. This episode I will say is good... but has plenty of room for improvement. As for the series on a whole... I will have to see more of it to decide.

My Rating:

Note: This is a recycled review from when I first watched the pilot episode during my month-long horror marathon.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2010, 08:44:34 PM »

Hunter
He plays by his own rules. He hates the pimps, pushers, creeps and killers that prowl our city streets. And he never fires a warning shot. Fred Dryer stars as the maverick police detective who along with partner Dee Dee 'The Brass Cupcake' McCall (Stepfanie Kramer) brought a tough new attitude to television. Critics may have attacked its wild violence, but millions of fans embraced its extreme action, sly humor and sexual chemistry to make HUNTER one of the most popular cop show hits in TV history.

John Amos co-stars in this explosive debut season that also featured guest stars Dennis Franz, Brian Dennehy, Dennis Farina, Bo Svenson, Joanna Kerns, Ed O'Neill and more. HUNTER: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON features 19 hard-hitting episodes (including the two hour pilot movie), plus all-new interviews and more. As Sgt. Rick Hunter would say, "Works for me!"

Pilot
Former NFL star Fred Dryer is Det. Sgt. Rick Hunter, a mobster's son turned cop, who after testing his superior officer one too many times, winds up with a partner - brassy Det. Sgt. Dee Dee McCall. Together, they set a trap for a brutal country western murderer.

My Thoughts:
This is a series I blind bought the first 3 seasons on DVD during a buy 1 get 1 free sale. Luckily I found that I enjoy this series. Sure it is not the best cop show I ever seen... but it is definitely worth watching.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2010, 09:23:56 PM »

I Love Lucy
Fall in love again and again with the timeless comedy that entertains generation after generation. This special 34-disc DVD collection contains every hilarious episode of every classic season of I Love Lucy — from the Lost Pilot to the The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour shows. Join Lucy, Ricky, Fred and Ethel for non-stop laughter as you savor every magical moment of the greatest sitcom of all time.

THE GIRLS WANT TO GO TO A NIGHTCLUB
A spat over where to go on the Mertzes' anniversary leaves the men and women celebrating separately, until Lucy and Ethel show up in hillbilly disguises as Ricky and Fred's blind dates.

My Thoughts:
In my opinion this is a true classic sitcom. Even as old as this series is... it contains lots of laughs. And the comedy is timeless... just ask Brittany. She loves this show and laughs out loud every time she watches it. There is no real introduction to the characters in this episode. But you catch on real quick.

My Rating:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2010, 09:27:38 PM »
I used to love Hunter! Was shown in the UK on occasional late nights...  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2010, 09:36:28 PM »
I have the first 3 seasons on DVD... So far I am part way through the second season. And I am enjoying this show so far.
Pete