Author Topic: Anyone have a Playstation 3 here?  (Read 10078 times)

Critter

Anyone have a Playstation 3 here?
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »
I was thinking of getting one but would like to hear about it first.

snowcat

Re: Anyone have a Playstation 3 here?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 02:09:21 PM »
i do not have one but my brother does, He bought the slimline on its release date, he has not played it once, in fact... Ive used it more then him to watch the Blu rays I own.

lyonsden5

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 02:29:52 PM »
Yes, I do but I'm not sure I can help much as I don't play games on it. My kids (if you can call 24 and 22 year olds "kids") tell me for the online games the x-box is still superior. Probably because it took hold of that market and Sony has been playing catch-up ever since.

I can tell you the games that are played on it look and sound fantastic in a home theater type setting (so do the x-box ones though). I sat and watch about 10 minutes of Demon's Soul being played. Absolutely amazing graphics.

FYI I have the 80gb version that is about 2 years old (or was it last year....)

MEJHarrison

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 07:59:15 PM »
I have one.  For Blu-ray movies, it's fantastic and still one of the best on the market.  I've never had a single problem with any disc.

I don't do much gaming, but the little I've done is fun.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »
I have one too.

It's still excellent for Blu-ray and I am very with it's performance in that area.

I was not a gamer before buying the PS3 and therefore cannot compare to XBOX(360). I also understand that the service on XBOX LIVE is still unrivaled, but PSN is free; you get what you pay for ;) However, PS3 is catching up a little and my online experience has mostly been good. (I read somewhere that the percentage of "noisy teenagers" is lower on PSN...) So, if you are looking for a gaming unit then it comes down to what games you want to play. There is a couple of exclusive games on either system which may push yo in a certain direction. I am quite happy with the game selection for the PS3 and there are just few which I'd like to play but can't (Gears of War and the GTA IV dowloadable add-on content).

Critter

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:47:47 PM »
Thanks guys for all this info, I am interested in both the gaming and film side of a Ps3.
Also does anyone know anything about the wireless capabilities? I've heard that if you connect it by wireless to your computer you can play music and video files through the playstation. Any info on this would be great.

lyonsden5

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 06:35:12 AM »
Music and pictures I have done, I haven't tried video though. Both worked fine.

FYI the wireless was very easy to set up (at least according to my son  :bag: )

Critter

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:47:36 AM »
If music and pictures work well then video probably will too. Thanks for that info, it's the wireless features of the console that will probably be the deciding factor for me about getting one.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 08:58:53 AM »
I don't have one, though I will probably get one at some point.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 09:44:50 AM »
The wireless can indeed set up very easily. Connection can be improved a tiny bit if a little more effort is wasted, but not really a necessity.

You will need some sort of media serving software on your main computer. Not sure it's built into Windows. I purchased a well-running program for $10 for my Mac which taps right into iTunes. Streaming video is practically impossible over wireless, the bandwidth isn't enough (at least in my home); using a cable it might be possible. You can, of course, copy the file from the computer to the PS3 wirelessly and then watch it there (be prepared for looooong copying tomes through). Streaming pictures or music is no problem at all.

Critter

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 10:36:24 AM »
Ah okay, is there any other ways to copy the video file directly to the ps3, such as USB?

RossRoy

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 02:03:21 PM »
Ah okay, is there any other ways to copy the video file directly to the ps3, such as USB?

Well, there are USB ports on the PS3, so I guess if you put your media (pictures, music, videos) on a USB key and plug that into the PS3, it should see them. The 360 does in any case.

Critter

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 02:09:42 PM »
Okay thanks. I thought about 360 but I'm just a Sony girl through and through. I had Playsation 1, PS2, PS2 slimline and now hopefull a ps3. I think and x box would ruin my track record haha.

richierich

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 02:31:12 PM »
My son plays games on psx3, online wirelessly, and it is impressive to watch, particularly the latest fifa and call of duty.
I use it for blurays, but also there is a vidzone which is free, this is music videos on demand where you can build your own playlists etc - very impressive and great to put on with people around.
Also free is the iplayer, where you can catch up with latest TV episodes, although reliant on a good bandwidth for streaming the programmes.

All in all I'd 100% recommend owning a ps3

MEJHarrison

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »

Well, there are USB ports on the PS3, so I guess if you put your media (pictures, music, videos) on a USB key and plug that into the PS3, it should see them. The 360 does in any case.

Yes, you can view pictures right off a USB drive.  I've not tried pictures or music, but I imagine they'd work fine.