Author Topic: Well... Today was not fun at all  (Read 7634 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Well... Today was not fun at all
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 10:32:02 PM »
I thought I would post a picture of my mom. One of the sweetest, most kind people you could ask to meet. She amazes me as she seems to make friends where ever she goes. No matter how she feels on the inside she always has a smile waiting for you.

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 11:43:31 PM »
I just now heard from my brother again. She is remaining stable and even though she is still having a hard time breathing... she hasn't gotten any worse. That is my mom... stronger then even I give her credit for.

I don't know if she has it in her to beat this thing... but she is definitely still there and fighting it!

My brother will be staying there until visiting hours is over (a few more hours) and then coming home.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 11:52:52 PM »
Your mom has an enormous energy! Proud to know her.

All the best wishes for her further recovery.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 11:54:22 PM »
Thanks Achim
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 02:56:21 AM »
Yes, thank you for sharing. I'm so glad you've had some positive feedback at least. Every small step, eh?  :)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 03:19:13 AM »
That's good that she is stable.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 02:37:56 PM »
Thanks everyone!

we got another update early this morning... and I am happy to tell you all that my mother made it through the night well. And her vitals have improved quite a bit!  :)  Of course she is far from out of danger yet. They still need to clear her lungs of all the mucus that is in there... which they are having a hard time of doing. But still this is good news. She has improved and that is the important thing.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »
We just got off the phone again. She is continuing to do better... better with her breathing and her color is coming back to normal. :)

She still has quite a fight ahead of her. they still can't seem to get the mucus up. but all is still improving! :)
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »
Stay strong Pete.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2009, 10:27:15 PM »
That's great that she's doing better.  :) 

RossRoy

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2009, 10:48:45 PM »
Glad to hear her condition is improving! Hang in there!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 10:57:25 PM »
Thanks Everyone. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »
Well... 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Her breathing had improved so much that they tried to take her off this special oxygen mask they had her on. And she was fine for a while but then breathing wasn't as good. So they had to put her back on the oxygen mask they had her on.
Pete

Critter

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 12:11:01 PM »
Hmm that's a harsh circle. Hopefully next time they will be able to take off the mask for good. My thoughts are with you.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2009, 02:28:44 PM »
Pete, does your mom have a chronic lung problem such as COPD or emphysema? As far as the oxygen is concerned, don't be too worried when they change the methods of delivery. She should be on something that is monitoring the levels of oxygen in her body and will be adjusted accordingly. Something as simple as eating or more complicated such as suctioning can drop oxygen levels and may result her needing the mask. Of course it is best not to need these things but delivering higher levels of oxygen is a continually ongoing adjustment with people with respiratory problems.

The MRSA is a concern because of it is difficult to treat. Please be sure that everyone that comes into contact with your mother washes their hands. I can NOT emphasize this enough. MAKE EVERYONE WASH THEIR HANDS!!! And not just a quick rinse, they should be scrubbing to the entire first verse of Yankee Doodle Dandy.

The number of people who die from hospital acquired infections, almost always caused by poor hand washing techniques, is enormous. If someone can not be with her 24 hours a day - post a note over her bed. Make sure she is aware and makes everyone wash before they touch her. If they won't, send them away. Call the supervisor or the infection control nurse because this is vitally important and is a basic policy of any hospital.

But it seems as though your mother's spunk has pulled her through another difficult time. I am thinking about her and your family and hoping that she comes home as soon as possible.