Author Topic: Well... Today was not fun at all  (Read 7633 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Well... Today was not fun at all
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »
Found out they are contacting Hospice for her... and asking about a living will.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 05:19:54 PM »
Thoughts are with you Pete.

Perhaps ask a neighbour for a lift, in the circumstances I am sure they will be pleased to assist you

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 05:21:44 PM »
Thanks... and yes I thought of that. we are fairly secluded... but I hit both neighbor's houses and no one home. They are probably all at work.

But at this point I probably need to be home as Britt will be home from school in about 3 hrs.
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 05:34:18 PM »
Im sorry to hear about this. I know crappy it is to have to wait to hear news about something like this, and how helpless you can feel, not only not knowing what to do but not being able to do anything.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 05:42:52 PM »
Helpless is right. I still have family I need to get a hold of... and everyone seems to be not around. I haven't heard anything from my brothers that are there in a while now. It is a very hard thing... and a terrible feeling.
Pete

MEJHarrison

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 06:07:13 PM »
Sorry to hear the news Pete.  I'll be praying for you and your entire family.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 06:09:04 PM »
Thanks Mark
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 06:24:32 PM »
A living will or health care proxy is something everyone should have even if they are not sick - everyone in my family has one filled out. It becomes vitally important  in cases of emergency when, because of the circumstances, if is difficult to think of such things. These forms become important because then everyone has a clear understanding of quality of life issues and what each individual does and does not want as far as their health care needs are concerned.

A couple of thoughts on how to get to the hospital once your daughter gets home. First, I would contact the local police department and explain the situation. They are there for emergencies and this certainly qualifies. I would also get a hold of the hospital and see if they have someone that could pick you up. I have picked up or dropped off several patients and family members during an emergency. Contact human resources or a nursing supervisor and see if they can't arrange something.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 06:30:30 PM »
Thanks for the help Kathy. Those are things I would have never thought of.

I just got an update from my brothers that are there...

Her breathing is a little better. She went into a panic attack. I am afraid she is really scared. And wants to fight it with all she has. I always believed when the time comes it wouldn't be because she has given up. I just hope and prey that this is not the time.

Aside from her cancer we found out she has what is called a Mercer Staph Infection...

Mercer Staph infection is also described with phrases like “Staph Superbug” and “MRSA Staph infection. All of these phrases refer to the same infection and medical condition. Mercer, or MRSA is an infection with the bacteria Staph aureus that is resistant to many antibiotics and Mercer can be a very serious or life-threatening infection. Be sure to learn the facts about Mercer infection - click the link to learn more about what is MRSA.

From what I understand they had gave her one med. (don't ask what... no idea) to try to get her calmed... but it didn't work and they couldn't give her more.... so they gave her some morphine. And that did calm her. And I hope too away any pain she may be in.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 07:09:42 PM »
Our hospitals in the NHS have been pushing very hard to eradicate MRSA and there are alcohol cleaning dispensers everywhere and they insist on visitors too. The reason is MRSA is tough to control, but only starts because of hygiene, which should be the simplest thing.

Pete, I've been through this sort of thing a couple of times. There's no right way to handle things and nothing you can do wrong. You have to concentrate on your own routine for Brittany's sake as well as your own. I bet if you were with your mum she would just worry about your daughter being left alone. The important thing is, it sounds like you have a good solid family. You're supporting each other and that's what's important.

Someone once told me that in situations like this, it's important to remember that the person who is ill is invariably handling it far better than those around them and there's a ring of truth in that. Your mum has a tough mind, and someone's always there. That's all she'll want.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 07:19:07 PM »
Thanks Jon
Pete

ninehours

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 07:22:46 PM »
My thoughts are with you and your family

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 07:25:51 PM »
Thanks Nick
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 10:12:01 PM »
I'm so sorry that she is going through this.  I'm hoping that she gets better soon.

I noticed those dispensers of hand sanitizer everywhere around the hospital when my step dad had to get a pace maker back in June.  They were in the hallways, bathrooms, and every room.  I know the hospital here has had a lot of issues with infections in the past.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »
Thanks Marie...
I have seen those around as well.
Pete