Author Topic: Critter's Animated Film/Anime Marathon  (Read 77706 times)

Najemikon

Re: Critter's Animated Film/Anime Marathon
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 02:22:25 PM »
Here is the film that started it all, the film that was undoubtedly not only a milestone in animation but in cinema in general. This is a film that influenced such movies as the Wizard of Oz, which in turn influenced other titles such as Star Wars and so on and so forth. I have even heard and read that Citizen Kane was inspired by Snow White in some ways but I am yet to discover how.

Citizen Kane is kind of like Snow White turned inside out, upside down and then finally presented as real. In both films, you can find references to loss of childhood/innocence, ambition and dreams. Both have ideas about what you see, or what is trapped in, a reflection; Kane's globe and of course Snow White's enchanted mirror.

Nice review of an incredibly important film, Sophie.  :thumbup:

Critter

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 10:36:39 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up Jon and I'm glad you like the review. I have always considered it one of the most important in my collection.

Critter

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 04:17:49 AM »
Mai-HiME

Anime Type: TV (26 Episodes)

Year: 2004

Director: Masakazu Kohara

Plot: Thirteen girls, each with the ability to materialize "Elements" and summon metallic guardians called "Childs" have been brought to Fuuka Academy to battle mysterious creatures called Orphans. Each with a different personality and background, they must decide who they truly care about and why they fight.

My Thoughts:
I just finished this anime and thoroughly enjoyed it which I must admit I wasn’t expecting. I didn’t have high expectations going into this series and I must admit that for the first few episodes I found it entertaining, yet drearily repetitive, almost as if the same plot was playing every episode (think Scooby Doo).  Somewhere through the series though there was a major change within the plot and in one episode the show went from average entertainment to a much more serious show that I found I was unable to stop watching. Everything was turned upside down at this part of the series and we got to really explore all the characters, their struggles and the real meaning of their relationships with each other, and those around them in a way that was not seen in the first part of the series. The final episode of the series was actually a little bit of a let-down for me but I enjoyed all the episodes leading up to it so much that I am rating it highly.

My Rating

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:53:12 AM by Critter »

Critter

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010, 07:53:45 AM »
Ponyo

Anime Type: Movie

Year: 2008

Director: Hayao Miyazaki

Plot: The story is loosely based on the Danish writer Hans Christian Andersen's "The Little Mermaid", about Ponyo, a tiny fish-girl who dreams of being human. She is washed ashore and rescued by a boy, Sosuke, but despite their friendship she has to return to the oceans. Undeterred, Ponyo uses a spell to transform into a human girl, unaware of the dire consequences of the powerful magic.

My Thoughts:
While not quite having the same impact as some of Miyazaki’s previous work (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke), Ponyo was still a fantastic and fun little film that is worth a look for any Ghibli fans. The story of Ponyo is aimed at a younger audience than many of the previous films but the imagery in this one is so outstanding that it may even surpass some of the other films. This is one of the more beautiful anime films I have seen. The hand drawn animation was flawless and brought the ocean world and all its wonderful creatures to life, as well as some very convincing and exciting storm/ tsunami scenes. I watched this film with the English dubbed voices and thought it was quite good, I was looking forward to the English cast that involved actors I like such as Cate Blanchett and Tina Fey and I think they did the job well. I am however probably going to watch the Japanese version at some point. Overall this film was a wonderful visual feast brought together through the vivid imagination of one of the greatest animators of our time.

My Rating

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:28:13 AM by Critter »

Critter

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2010, 03:09:12 AM »
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Anime Type: Movie

Year: 2006

Director: Hosoda, Mamoru

Plot:The power to travel through time... It can be used for the good of humanity, or just selfishly abused. While many may fantasize about obtaining such a power, it has become nothing less than reality for otherwise-normal schoolgirl Konno Makoto.

After a fated event, her life takes a turn for the extraordinary. Though she initially uses her power to literally "leap" into the past and change little things in order to make her life easier, she soon has to face the fact that changing the past can have drastic consequences.

My Thoughts:
This was a very entertaining and enjoyable film. I loved the contrast within the storyline of quite dark and gritty scenes as well as many light-hearted and often quite funny scenes. The clean and simple character animation worked well with the fantastic and largely detailed backgrounds which gave the film a strong atmosphere, and indeed, some scenes (one in particular) were eerily beautiful. The storyline of this film was one of many twisting paths and was quite complex, for that matter I feel it is a film I will have to watch more than once to really understand it fully. The Japanese voice acting in the film was very relaxed and suited all the characters well which gave them all believable personalities.

My Rating

Critter

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2010, 03:03:23 AM »
Ice Age

Year: 2002

Director(s): Chris Wedge

Run Time: 81  minutes

Plot: Set during the Ice Age, a sabertooth tiger, a sloth, and a wooly mammoth find a lost human infant, and they try to return him to his tribe.

Cast:
Ray Romano – Manfred
John Leguizamo – Sid
Denis Leary – Diago
Jack Black - Zeke
Goran Visnjic – Soto

DVD Extras:
•   Audio Commentary
•   Making of Ice Age
•   Gone Nutty, Scat’s Missing Adventure
•   Sis on Sid
•   Interactive Character Galleries
•   Trailers
•   International Clips
•   Six Deleted Scenes

My Thoughts
A great family animated film for me is one that I can watch now as a 19 year old and enjoy it just as much as I did while I was a child. Ice Age is not one of those films. I watched this recently with a 2 and a 3 year –old who proceeded to get bored and do other things but I watched it to the end. When I was younger I did like this film, but now I just don’t see the appeal. The animation itself is not great, in fact it’s quite crude and basic. This could of course be put down to the times. But then again, Toy Story, which was made years before it still looks fantastic today. The story itself is quite sweet but the humour strewn throughout the film I hardly find funny at all now, in fact I almost find it more of a turn off if anything. I have not seen the sequels for this film, although I will probably check them out for this marathon to see if the films improve at all. Overall this is a great film for younger kids but not something I will go out of my way to watch again.

My Rating

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2010, 12:45:15 PM »
I've watched this one with my two little nephews a little bit after Christmas and surprisingly I've appreciated it. It was a good laughing time for the 3 of us. Certainly enjoy it more than The Chipmunk movie they decided to watch after. but contrary to my brother I didn't have to go watching the new one with a bunch of kid at the theatre... 

Najemikon

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2010, 01:22:18 PM »
I love Ice Age! But the sequel was weak and silly. Haven't bothered with the third one.

snowcat

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2010, 08:08:48 PM »
I love Ice Age! But the sequel was weak and silly. Haven't bothered with the third one.

I agree Ice Age is a good solid film with a good solid story, with charm! I dislike both sequels, I think it would have been fine as a stand alone film... but alas I think the same for the Land Before Time.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »
My name is Kathy and I like sequels.  :tease:

snowcat

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2010, 09:21:40 PM »
Lol :p I like Sequels sometimes... just not the ice age ones.

Critter

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2010, 01:26:39 AM »
A lot of people do like Ice Age, as it appears most of you do but it's just one of those films that I don't like very much. Doesn't really appeal to my personal tastes.

Rogmeister

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2010, 02:12:38 AM »
I have the first 2 Ice Age movies but haven't seen them yet.  I guess I'll have to get to them soon.  I also like a lot of animated films though I don't know that I'll do an an imated marathon.  :tv:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2010, 07:36:53 AM »
I like the Ice Age movies

Critter

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2010, 09:06:27 AM »
I have the first 2 Ice Age movies but haven't seen them yet.  I guess I'll have to get to them soon.  I also like a lot of animated films though I don't know that I'll do an an imated marathon.  :tv:

As you have probably all realised by now I use the term 'marathon' very loosley in terms with this animated/anime thing. I call it a marathon when really itt's turning more into a continous and ongoing thread that I will just keep updated. And more animated films are coming out everyday, who knows if I will ever finish it.

I like the Ice Age movies

I won't deny that the Ice Age films are popular, I hear that the latest Ice Age film beat out both the Dreamworks and PIXAR films in the box office during 2009.