Author Topic: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)  (Read 104226 times)

Najemikon

Re: Snowcats reviews.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 05:29:29 PM »
...I have never enjoyed any of his parts...

:-X

Couldn't let that past!  :tease:

I find when he's on form, I enjoy his stuff, especially Anchorman. And I think I already proved you wrong discussed Elf. ;) Step Brothers for me was an example of a film being about 25% too much Ferrell. "Over-Ferrelled", if you will! Stick another, younger actor in and it would have been instantly better. Get Tom Cruise to play the younger brother? Modern classic. But hey, I digress.

As with Carrey and The Truman Show, have you seen Stranger Than Fiction, he's proper acting job? Really nice film...

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
... have you seen Stranger Than Fiction, he's proper acting job? ...

Can't let this pass either. I'm with Rich regarding Will Ferrell most of the time, but as I mentioned once or twice, he did an excellent job in Winter Passing. Together with Zooey Deschanel btw, but it is nothing like the annoying Elf. For Stranger Than Fiction, I've only seen the trailer and let's just say I certainly won't sit through the movie.
Matthias

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »
For Stranger Than Fiction, I've only seen the trailer and let's just say I certainly won't sit through the movie.

For what it's worth: I recently watched this movie with seven of my collegues and all of them did enjoy this movie very much. Even those who where skeptical in the beginning of the movie.

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »
And Winter Passing has Zooey in, who I can't take seriously since Mark Kermode ripped her to pieces in his 500 Days of Summer review! Every time I see her picture I think of his impression...  :laugh:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
And Winter Passing has Zooey in, who I can't take seriously since Mark Kermode ripped her to pieces in his 500 Days of Summer review! Every time I see her picture I think of his impression...  :laugh:

Link? BTW, I'm looking forward to 500 Days of Summer:P
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 07:33:19 PM »

Link? BTW, I'm looking forward to 500 Days of Summer:P

Well I get it on a podcast and it was the one dated the 4th September. Unfortunately, I can't find a copy of it, despite multiple websites offering links. This may be because the BBC are about to trial letting you download old podcasts from the Friday. (Oh, the timing!)   :slaphead:

I'm not sure if you're aware of Mark Kermode. He's a very good critic, who is also very adept at presentation and his weekly movie review on Simon Mayo's show is well worth a listen. Even if you don't agree, it's fun listening to someone passionate. For instance, I did find his legendary Transformers 2 review on YouTube... :laugh:

snowcat

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »
I honestly understand why people don't like Will Ferrell, Alot of people just think he shouts, that he does... but I found shouting funny, and I especially find his brand of humor very funny. I think Anchorman is by far his best comedy. but I agree Stranger then Fiction is one of my favourite films, Ive shown it to people who hate Will Ferrel, and they can see that he is a good actor! He is very typecast, its unfortunate, most of the members of the "Frat Pack" are severely typecast, and it takes them breaking the mould to show how good they are at acting.

Even if you hate Will Ferrell, Stranger the Fiction shows him in a new light.... think Adam Sandler in Punch-Drunk Love or as Jon said Jim Carey in the Truman Show.

I am yet to see Winters passing (unfortunately.) But I cant wait to get around to buying it!

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 09:03:55 PM »
I honestly understand why people don't like Will Ferrell

As far as I can tell I only know him as Wild-Life Marshall Willenholly or whatever in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and as Wedding/Funeral Crasher in Wedding Crashers and I din't care for him in either role. I just don't find him funny.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

snowcat

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »
I honestly understand why people don't like Will Ferrell

As far as I can tell I only know him as Wild-Life Marshall Willenholly or whatever in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and as Wedding/Funeral Crasher in Wedding Crashers and I din't care for him in either role. I just don't find him funny.

I can see that, those are not his best performances, (regardless of if I thought he was the best part of Wedding Crashers  :tease:)

...I think his role in Zoolander is possibly one of his best supporting roles... so if you ever wanted to try and see what people see in him... id start there!

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 11:53:26 PM »
But Zoolander has the problem of starring Ben Stiller in the leading role...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 03:46:16 AM »
I usually like Will Ferrell, but I do agree that some of his stuff is better than others..he does go ...overboard at times.

snowcat

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 08:33:27 AM »
But Zoolander has the problem of starring Ben Stiller in the leading role...

...Then there is no pleasing you  :tease:

Stranger the Fiction has Emma Thompson in.... is that better?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 08:40:20 AM »

Actually, that's better.
Karsten

snowcat

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »

Actually, that's better.

Good :)

Stranger then fiction is a better film hes more serious then funny. and so im sure you will enjoy it more.

snowcat

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 06:57:56 PM »
I interrupt you regular reading of the Judd Apatow marathon to bring you the *spooky noises* 13 Days of Horror Marathon!
 :bat: