Author Topic: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)  (Read 104491 times)

snowcat

Re: Emma's Film Reviews (snowcat)
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »
Not Another Teen Movie was probably not the best example, but its a great parody :p

I think American Pie surpasses it story wise and humour wise... maybe I need to watch it again.

I have not seen Porky's the only other National Lampoon branded films I have seen are Van Wilder and TV the Movie.

Najemikon

« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2009, 09:04:37 PM »
Not Another Teen Movie was probably not the best example, but its a great parody :p

Now you should always respect other peoples opinions, but... well I can't. Because you're wrong. And possibly on heavy medication.

:tease:

snowcat

« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2009, 09:14:15 PM »

Now you should always respect other peoples opinions, but... well I can't. Because you're wrong. And possibly on heavy medication.

:tease:

..I was once told a writer would believe they were right no matter what, and as a writer im sorry but im going to have to say  ;) your wrong.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2009, 11:08:51 PM »
Not Another Teen Movie was horrid.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2009, 11:49:35 PM »
Marie try to watch it after Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet The Spartans, Disaster Movie and The Underground Comedy Movie like I've done in april... You will find that Not Another Teen Movie is a comedic masterpiece :laugh:

snowcat

« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2009, 12:00:01 AM »
Marie try to watch it after Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet The Spartans, Disaster Movie and The Underground Comedy Movie like I've done in april... You will find that Not Another Teen Movie is a comedic masterpiece :laugh:

I have to agree ;p Not Another Teen Movie, is a thousand times better then Meet the Spartans (which I only just got through watching) Epic Movie and Date Movie.

snowcat

« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2009, 11:37:56 AM »
Bottle Roc ket – 1996
Director – Wes Anderson
Running Time – 92 minutes
stars - Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, James Caan

I bought Bottle Rocket blindly, I love the Royal Tenenbaums and I wanted to see more of Wes Anderson’s film before I went to see Fantastic Mr Fox.
The film opens with Dignan (Owen Wilson) and his attempt to “rescue” his friend Anthony (Luke Wilson) from a voluntary mental hospital, where he has been staying for what he describes as “exhaustion”  upon “escape” Anthony finds Dignan has a “75 year plan” that he describes on the bus back home, the idea is to pull off a small number of heists and to meet up with Mr Henry a small time criminal that Dignan once worked for.

Upon arrival home the two waste no time breaking into a house, stealing everything from a specific list, during Dignan’s critique of the robbery he mentions that he stole a pair of diamond earrings that were not on the list, Anthony is annoyed at this because they have just robbed his parents house, and the earrings were taken without his permission.

Anthony visits his sister at school to asks her to return the earrings, she asks when he is coming home and he avoids the question, saying He's a grown up. Dignan has also recruited Bob as a getaway driver (the only person he knows with a car) the three buy some guns and go back to Bob's to plan the heist, but will they go through with it?

Bottle Rocket is a film that I started out not enjoying, as it went on I enjoyed it more, it started out as a short, and I think it should have remained that way, it felt like two films had been merged into one, the middle seemed wrongly placed, I think it could have easily have been two short films.
Bottle Rocket is Wes Anderson's directorial debut, it's also the Wilson brothers acting debuts, whilst this is a great debut for the three of them, the film was lacking in strength, Scorsese put this film in his top 10 of the 90S, I would not, but I would put the Royal Tenenbaums in my top 10 of the 00S Wes Anderson's directing has improved a lot of the years, I can't wait to see Fantastic Mr Fox.

Najemikon

« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2009, 12:02:34 PM »
I couldn't get on with Bottle Rocket at all. I loved The Royal Tenebaums, Rushmore and Darjeeling Limited though. Life Aquatic, less so, but still had its moments. I felt it less to do with directing experience and more that I enjoy his detailed sets and huge casts. Bottle Rocket was a very small film, so I just didn't enjoy what I've now come to expect.

I haven't seen Mr. Fox, but I'm actually not that interested. The animation looks dreadful. Additionally, Mark Kermode said it was an odd film. Much as he normally likes Anderson, he found this to be smug and as if it was trying to be clever for adults. He used another stop-motion film, Curse of the Were-Rabbit, as an example of how it should be done.

Maybe he wasn't trying to appeal to kids at all! Someone said that to Kermode, but he felt that Roald Dahl's superb book, like many of his, was supposed to be for kids with a lot for adults to enjoy. Not the other way around.

But I look forward to your review. If I can get past the weird look of the film, maybe Kermode is wrong and it works really well.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
But I look forward to your review. If I can get past the weird look of the film, maybe Kermode is wrong and it works really well.
Well, he said also, IIRC, that for people who like Anderson's smug films Mr. Fox should be just fine. He mainly kept pointing out that he thought it failed at being what it should be, which is a fillm for children made from a book for children. However, for the subsequent show several listeners had written in to confirm that their children had liked the film...

snowcat

« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2009, 08:56:50 PM »
the thing is regardless of if the book was written at the time for kids, times have changed, the main character is a thief ;P not exactly top of parents role model lists these days.

I think he deliberately made it for adults.

Jon, I think the large cast thing is also possibly something I did not like about Bottle Rocket, now that I think about it, I love the large cast aspect of the RT

Najemikon

« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2009, 09:19:13 PM »
the thing is regardless of if the book was written at the time for kids, times have changed, the main character is a thief ;P not exactly top of parents role model lists these days.

And that's what's wrong with kids stories today. :shrug: It's that sort of thinking that has done for Tom & Jerry. Go back much further and read Aesop and you'll find all sorts of vulgarity. Dahl just continued the tradition and kids loved it. I know I did. I grew up with his books and I can't imagine being without them. Sod the parents! I ever have kids, the little buggers will get Bugs Bunny every damn day!  :dance:

snowcat

« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »
I agree! I think people are over protective XD Id let my kids watch Tom and Jerry!!

the new release has got a little disclaimer on the back "not suitable for children"

Najemikon

« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2009, 12:03:39 AM »
I agree! I think people are over protective XD Id let my kids watch Tom and Jerry!!

the new release has got a little disclaimer on the back "not suitable for children"

Oh, what?  :slaphead:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2009, 02:46:22 AM »

Wait a minute...Tom and Jerry isn't suitable for children now? 
Good grief.  Now I admit there are things children shouldn't see - and that includes some animated movies - but Tom and Jerry??  Sheesh.  Give me a break.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2009, 02:55:14 AM »
Wait a minute...Tom and Jerry isn't suitable for children now? 
Good thing that we are the one who decide for our children (or our hypothetical one in my case) and not the "think at the children" religious nut...

I've watched all those cartoons when I was a kid and I've relatively well turn...
I've even watched this one at 10 years old with my dad :laugh: