Author Topic: Jon's Marathon of Horror! 2009  (Read 47449 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Jon's Marathon of Horror! 2009
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2010, 12:06:11 AM »
Sorry for being a thread necromancer again, but I was reading one of Jon's reviews that he wrote before I joined the site, and the banter that followed piqued my interest...

For one I won't blame Jaws or Star Wars, but the death of 3 important factors that many tend to forget.

The drive-in cinemas doesn't exist anymore. So no more independant movies get a wide theatrical released, just imagine by exemple that all the Corman's movies were drive-in folder, so no drive-in no Corman...

The independant theater doesn't exist anymore. A theater owner doesn't decide what he will show anymore, the studio (Fox, MGM,...) decide what will be at the theatre and what we will see.

The Disneylisation of the New-York 42th street who had made it impossible for all the weird European, Asian or, even, Canadian movies to get a release in the United States.

BTW the audience doesn't get what it want but what the studios want them to want...       

Jimmy's right, it was the death of the drive-ins and the independent theaters that killed the movie-making process. But the best way to describe it, and it's fitting for a horror genre thread, is that the three reasons Jimmy mentioned were the nails in the coffin, Jaws & Star Wars was the dirt poured on top.

It's sad. I've always been against the idea of test screenings where essentially a director is willing to alter his work because a random bunch of strangers didn't get it,

It is sad, but at one time in Hollywood history, it did make sense. With studios churning out a new film each week, it behooved them to do a little quality control and test market their product.

Just think, without test screening, we would have been stuck with that god-awful opening to Sunset Blvd. with the talking cadavers.  :voodoo:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2010, 12:17:53 AM »
... Jaws & Star Wars was the dirt poured on top.

Heh. I like that description. :thumbup:
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2010, 12:44:01 AM »
 :laugh:

Yes, very good! Although as I've said many times, I think Jaws and Star Wars got it just right and it's all the pretenders that have turned it too much into a business.

It is sad, but at one time in Hollywood history, it did make sense. With studios churning out a new film each week, it behooved them to do a little quality control and test market their product.

Just think, without test screening, we would have been stuck with that god-awful opening to Sunset Blvd. with the talking cadavers.  :voodoo:

True, but that was the days of the producer. As the director came to the fore they should always live and die by the sword.

And thank you for waking up the thread again. I know the warning is a bit strong about opening old threads, but on here it really doesn't apply. It's nice to see the old debates getting another airing!

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2010, 12:48:51 AM »

Yes, very good! Although as I've said many times, I think Jaws and Star Wars got it just right and it's all the pretenders that have turned it too much into a business.

I can only imagine the debate you and I could have over Star Wars:hysterical:
I was the only person in my high school that didn't like it.  :tease:

True, but that was the days of the producer. As the director came to the fore they should always live and die by the sword.

You're right, I stand corrected.  :weep:  :laugh:

And thank you for waking up the thread again. I know the warning is a bit strong about opening old threads, but on here it really doesn't apply. It's nice to see the old debates getting another airing!

Good, now I don't feel so bad. I used to catch a lot of shit for doing it at DVDSpot.  :devil:

Najemikon

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2010, 12:53:31 AM »
Star Wars? You don't like Star Wa... no. No, not doing it. Battle royale and then some! :voodoo: :-X :laugh:

Things is we do put a lot of work into our threads and our hosts are always laid back about such things. Not like there's a conflict of interest. :thumbup:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2010, 01:01:41 AM »
Star Wars? You don't like Star Wa... no. No, not doing it. Battle royale and then some! :voodoo: :-X :laugh:

Couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.  :shrug:

For now, we'll just let it rest on the back burner...   :hmmmm:  :laugh:

But we will definitely will meet on the field of battle in the future. :training:  :tease:

Najemikon

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2010, 01:06:50 AM »
 :cards:

Jedi was one of the first memorable cinema trips for me. There is one specific, tiny moment that possibly lit the fuse that has resulted in me spending most of my time talking about how great films are.

The bloody thing.

Anyway, just so you know that should you take this on, you'll be facing all three decades of Jon!  :dance:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2010, 01:11:53 AM »
There is one specific, tiny moment that possibly lit the fuse that has resulted in me spending most of my time talking about how great films are.

What, you lost your virginity with an Ewok?

Sorry, couldn't pass it up.  :tease: :hysterical:

Najemikon

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2010, 02:47:36 PM »
 :redcard:

The eight year old me is shocked!

Then again it isn't so far from the truth... Ewok is a fair description! :laugh:

Critter

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2010, 03:11:40 PM »
If this Star Wars debate will be anything like the recent Inglourious Baterds one then I am highly anticipating it. Reading you two argue (debate) about such topics is becomming one of my favourite parts of this forum. It's so interesting to read.

RossRoy

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2010, 03:30:14 PM »
If this Star Wars debate will be anything like the recent Inglourious Baterds one then I am highly anticipating it. Reading you two argue (debate) about such topics is becomming one of my favourite parts of this forum. It's so interesting to read.

:goodpost:

I fully agree!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »

:goodpost:

I fully agree!
:thumbup:

Critter

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2010, 03:48:54 PM »
Haha, I think us three should get seats up the front and bring out the popcorn  :P

Najemikon

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2010, 08:49:30 PM »
 :whistle:

I'm sorry. Jon isn't here right now. Please leave a message after the beep and he will return your call as soon as he is able.

beeeeeep...

:devil:

snowcat

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »
 :o

....ANTARES! YOU DON'T LIKE STAR WARS???

0_0

....I spent 3 years of my life Role Playing Star Wars every Wednesday.... It was one of the best experiences ive ever had! Im a member of the fanclub!

I even have air fix starwars ships hanging from my bedroom ceiling, Yep... I don't have guys over.  :-[

....*stops being a massive geek*

...but overall, I guess it did have alot of hype surrounding it... but I still love it :) .... *cough* Jedi is best *cough*

*hides in corner*